Masters Running

New/Old Guy (Read 419 times)

Old, Slow, Happy

Hi I just invited myself to your group. I hope it's O.K. I've been at RA since the debacle at CoolRunning. I just found this forum because of a post by srlopez in the main section. I'm an old guy and I run regularly. I'm fighting a long case of runners knee and managed to injure my other leg. Of course it's because I was limping around on my runs. Now the worst issue I have is my upper right thigh. I think I've injured where my IT band attaches to my hip (in the front). Anyway, I'm 55 and have been running for 5 years. I have logged aver 2,000 miles in each of the last 3 years. I welcome all of you to come take a run in northwest Ohio where the only hills are the overpasses for the Ohio Turnpike.
      Welcome LR. Hope those legs get healed up soon. Post often.
      Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

Renee the dog

Hi LR -- yeah, I think I know what you mean about the top of the thigh in relation to runner's knee. I think I caught mine in time before it became an injury (heh, time will tell). What are you doing for it? Don't want to waste your time with a lot of rehash of what you are already doing, but will gladly offer my 2 cents if you want it as to what I've done that's helped.

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Welcome LR! Be sure to post your runs over on the daily thread too ....

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
          It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Marathon Maniac #957

Welcome aboard, LR! I live in southwest Ohio, south of Dayton. Maybe we'll cross paths at a race sometime. Did you have a different handle at CR?

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

welcome Richard -- congrats on becoming a grandpa!!

denise

dg.

Welcome Richard! I hope your injuries resolve soon. A tough battle. I may take you up on that offer sometime Smile. I live in SE MI, but am from Columbus. A run partway through a trip down to visit family wouldn't be a bad idea at all.
                  Welcome, LR. You've come to a good place. Post often. TomS
                    Hi Richard and welcome. I peeked at your log. Seems like a 10 miler is your average bread and butter run, impressive!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

wildchild

Carolyn

Welcome to the group, Richard! Post often. You say in your profile that you run slowly, but your log does NOT back this up!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

TammyinGP

Welcome New Old guy! Hope your injuries heal up soon!

Tammy

Old, Slow, Happy

Hi LR -- yeah, I think I know what you mean about the top of the thigh in relation to runner's knee. I think I caught mine in time before it became an injury (heh, time will tell). What are you doing for it? Don't want to waste your time with a lot of rehash of what you are already doing, but will gladly offer my 2 cents if you want it as to what I've done that's helped.
                          I would love to hear what you did for your top of the thigh issue. I just got custom orthotics and haven't been back to PT since. I bevieve the thigh injury came just before I got the orthotics. My son is a great runner and he had a similar issue that kept him from running for 1 1/2 years. He finished 8th at Akron a couple of yearws ago but hasn't run another marathon since. He is RustinSPE here at running ahead.

Old, Slow, Happy

Welcome aboard, LR! I live in southwest Ohio, south of Dayton. Maybe we'll cross paths at a race sometime. Did you have a different handle at CR?
                            My daughter lives in Middletown. If you close, she would love some help with her running. She doesn't run nearly as much distance as you. She teaches elementary special ed in Middletown.
                              Hi, LR! I remember you! Welcome to our "little" family. Smile

Leslie
                              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Renee the dog

I would love to hear what you did for your top of the thigh issue. I just got custom orthotics and haven't been back to PT since. I bevieve the thigh injury came just before I got the orthotics. My son is a great runner and he had a similar issue that kept him from running for 1 1/2 years. He finished 8th at Akron a couple of yearws ago but hasn't run another marathon since. He is RustinSPE here at running ahead.
                                OK, well don't laugh, but part of the solution involves Suzanne Somers! Big grin Well, let me back up. I have a myofascial massage therapist who said my runner's knee was manifesting because my inner quad muscle (above the inside knee) was weak. We found some exercises I could do on my own. Here's a link: http://www.merck.com/mmhe/sec05/ch075/ch075f.html I wasn't very religious about the exercises, and I was continuing to have pain. As I was moving from a low 20s mpw runner to a 30 mpw runner, this wasn't OK, but somehow I wasn't being rigorous about the exercises. So, I asked her if she thought something like the Suzanne Somers Thighmaster would work. She said it might, so I ordered one (not from the suzanne somers web site, as it was, at least the day I looked at it, an insecure web site Surprised ). While I was waiting for the darn thing to come in the tenderness came in what I think is my tensor fasciae latae at the top of the ITB or outside of the top of the quad. I have a copy of the Trigger Point Massage Therapy Workbook, and looked up the trigger points in the area. With a little rolling on them on a large, hard superball, with a sprint for the ice bag afterwards as it HURT, Wink it seemed like I stopped the progression of the condition. The Thighmaster arrived. I started using it and put thighmaster days on my schedule along with those other exercises. At the same time, I read the copy alongside the trigger point illustration and it said that sleeping with the affected leg bent (or wearing high heels) can really keep these trigger points from releasing. So I had about 3 restless nights sleeping of reminding myself to sleep with that leg straight. Now, that area feels perfectly normal. I'm not sure if it is sleeping with my leg straight, the aggressive releasing of the trigger points, the thighmaster, exercises or a combination, but I haven't missed a run through any of it. I still get the Runner's Knee twinge occasionally, and bought some Kinesio tape to tape the knee like they showed on Runner's World online, but haven't had to use it yet. Anyway, I offer all of that up just in case any of it might work for you. Good luck and I hope one of these things does the trick for you!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!