Masters Running

40's On the getgo ~ It's Independence Day !!!! (Read 383 times)

Must have been posting at the same time Leslie......nice bike ride you had there. Don't ya just LOVE the flat hair look when you remove hats or helmets. Smile Wow, are there other states that have that law or is Cali the first? I second that.....it is extremely dangerous. Wish I had a run to report but you're just gonna have to deal with my non-running posts for awhile until I figure out whats going on down below! Jewels mta: Couldn't spell worth a crap last night so had to edit quickly this morning. Jeez, i left out entire words!
    But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee

jfa

Hey Kido's ~ busy buncha bipeds around here.... Arla- glad your air is better (as of your post anyway) Hope things clear up for you.You have some real good mileage building up in your log. Nice long runs! Stick with the hills. You'll know your getting stronger when they seem a "little " easier. Tongue Kelly-Did you get down to NJ for your DS's soccer game? What time of year is that race in Vermont? That sure looks like fun. I do admit to not crossing most of the streams I come across....but....sure looks like fun Smile Jewels- Good time for you to rest up anyway with the heat down there. You'll pick it back up soon enough. At least for us here, we have occasional lows in early am in the 60's or low 70's. I suspect that it's not the case down there. Maybe you could beat the heat by having DH set you up with a nice air-conditioned treadmill and big screen tv in that sports bar out back !?! Leslie- NJ has had that law for about a year. Problem is, very few people obey it. Even 9 out of 10 cops I see in their cars are talking on one. That's not the scariest though. I drive over 30k miles a year for work and the most frightening thing I see is people texting while driving!! Every couple of seconds their eyes drop to their laps. I feel like sneaking up to them and blasting the horn, but I'm sure I would startle them into crashing into me. BTW- with the helmet side veiw mirror- it will feel funny but wear it around a bit when not biking to get used to it. I wore one back in the early 80's before it was cool to look like a geek! It's well worth it though.Especially when riding on the Calif coast road between SF and Stinson Beach. Cindy- Incredible pictures of your half-marathon! Very well done putting them together! Awesome scenery and the thought of those altitude changes make us sea-level folks cringe Shocked . Fortunately that one is mostly downhill? Do you swim Mairead in those streams? The thing that worries me about that vest is that I don't know if it's working or not.Unfortunately, the dog can't tell me! So.. I'll have to count on swimming him anyway. He does give me signs when he's hot, and we go at his pace as well. Haven't seen much of Jim latley. Hope he's not going through another week of Mondays Sad (bummers) Well I really wanted to thank everybody for all the kudos and compliments from our picture.You guys are the BEST! Frankly, at my age, I'll take what I can get! Cool But unfortunately , Buddy's got an Ego the size of Rhode Island! His head's swelled up so big that he couldn't get through the door to run tonight! Seriously and Sincerely though, Thanks! G' night folks

Joe - Supposedly they're going to be aggressive about the cell phone law. Let's hope so. First time, it's a $20 fine, plus any court fines, which could make it 4x higher. Second fine is $50 plus court fines. We'll see if they actually do it. I know our PD could definitely use the revenue. They won't have to worry about me. I've tried to talk on the phone a couple of times while driving, and I don't like the weird sensation I get. Kind of like losing my equilibrium. But I also don't do it 'cause it drives me nuts to see people driving around with their cell phones stuck to their ears. (Could you tell that from my previous post??) What did people do before cell phones? How did they communicate? I'm always getting crap from friends 'cause I never have mine on. Well, it's for emergencies, not just general chatting. But then I was never a phone chatter in the first place. I'm a "Hi. That's great. Bye." kinda gal. Big grin Well, it's off to find Oscar and BK so I can go to bed. Nite!

Leslie
        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

5 miles this a.m. with 10 hill repeats after the first 20 min. (3 long, 3 short, 2 long, 2 short). Very heavy fog this a.m., so not sure if it was sweat dripping off me or the moisture in the air. I like to think it was sweat 'cause I was workin' so darn hard! My buddy, Karen, had to work in the smoke last Friday. She ended up with a horrible sinus infection for which she is now taking pencillan and she has to have a root canal today. Shocked I tried to sympathize, but as I told her, for once it's not me with problems right before a run (knock on wood). I was sort of giddy over the whole thing. Wink (just kidding) Trying to get the house and yard prepped for a 5th of July party (yes, 5th, not 4th) just so it can get trashed by everyone. Looks like 30-40 people will be showing up. Ugh! This time, though, I forced the issue of making it a potluck instead of us providing all the food. We'll be doing the meat side (2 turkeys, tri tips, sausages), cut up melons, grilled pineapples, chips, and a keg of beer (w/requests for donations to help pay for it). But of course, there will be those who show up completely empty-handed and empty-pocketed. Blush Again, if any of you are in Eureka on Saturday, drop by! Big grin You don't have to bring anything!

Leslie
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Top 'O the World!

Yep Leslie, I'll be right over....right after my 5K in Lone Tree, CO Wink ... in spirit anyways! Speaking of spirits, have 1 - or 2 - or several for me!!! Big grin Oh wait! maybe that's Jewels job...to support us in 'spirit' until she's back in the sneakers again!..... Seriously Jewels, take it easy!! let yourself heal, regardless of whats' going on, give it a break until it's either mostly or, better yet ALL gone! I see way too many permanent or chronic injuries in my line of work - simply because folks won't back off enough to get better!.... meantime, we expect regular (currektly spelt er knot!) posts in here from you! Joe: ya know, the altitude kicked my butt! & I'm way more acclimated than you coastal folks!! Shocked proper hydration becomes extraordinarily important @ higher altitudes! and a couple thousand feet descent - downhill race puts a whole new spin on it!! I had to stop & re-lace my shoes 'cause I was slamming into my toe-box... still feel a little bruised today because I ran at least 5 miles w/my shoes too loose. & I didn't reign Mairead in like I should have - I did start her fairly well back to stay out of the way of the racers, but she was excited & wanting to run up front, hence- pulling a bit Roll eyes result: not such ideal posture while running downhill = sore muscles I hadn't had before! I did have a funny guy about mile 12 say, "Excuse me Maam, could I borrow your horse?" Big grin....And, ref the creeks - some weren't deep enough for any real swimming, others are running way too fast this time of year! Very dangerous for anyone trying to swim!..& very cold!!...However, direct snowmelt run-off is the very best kind of air conditioning!.... I don't know much about the vest yet (I'm test-driving it for you Wink ) but it seems to help....best to use common sense 1st....I still couldn't run her out there right now (85*F/35% H.) ...& they do tell you somewhat, when it's too much....sometimes it's better to go at their pace! ..... btw: we'd sure appreciate you posting more pictures...could you get a little closer (see Kelly's example) cause some of us have mature eyeballs & itty bitty computer screens.... then we'd be obliged to abuse your egos some more! Wink Big grin ""Reinforcements from Arizona headed to California to fight wildfires FOX 10 Phoenix - Jul 02 8:09 AMAcross California, 1400 wildfires are burning covering 400,000 acres. 19,000 people are working around the clock in an attempt to get the fires contained. Reinforcements from around the country, including Arizona, are headed to California to help. FOX 10's Alexis Vance has more."" Arla! You be carefull out there!! might be an excellent time to adjourn school & take vacation in clearer air! FYI: This is a stressful/busy time of year for R2 & Lynda...almost daily dance w/T-storms just days before wheat harvest fully underway....(MIL still lives/farms near that area) Oh yeah, running thread! Roll eyes 0645 am 68*F/42% H 2.55 stiff hilly slow miles w/Mairead in her new coolie vest (she's not sure this is a good idea yet!) .... on the bright side - I found a Coach bag in great shape lying in the weeds! nothing but eyedrops in it! website says that's about a $200 find! Holy Cow! no wonder I never buy the things! getting to be lots more runners on the paths lately....must be something coming up soon.... Ciao! C
            Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
              btw: we'd sure appreciate you posting more pictures...could you get a little closer (see Kelly's example) cause some of us have mature eyeballs & itty bitty computer screens.... then we'd be obliged to abuse your egos some more! Wink Big grin
              I second the motion!
              .... on the bright side - I found a Coach bag in great shape lying in the weeds!
              Nice find! Oh lordy, it is Thursday around 4:00/5:00-ish yet?? Had lunch with a friend today. I'm always calling my lady friends "Sweet Cheeks." Don't know why or how I picked it up. Anyhoo, she went to Oregon this past week and visited the Sweet Cheeks Winery (http://www.sweetcheekswinery.com/contact_us.html) and brought me back a hat! Cool! I'll have to break it in at the party this weekend.

Leslie
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Top 'O the World!

Oh! I totally forgot to ask your opinions on something....I think I mentioned back a ways that I'd signed up as a a volunteer/massage therapist for the Trans Rockies Run.....the volunteer duties includes setting up tents, manning aide stations, helping w/catering, transporting gear, etc...massage therapy would be @ start & finish each day...anyway, other than the electronic reply to my application, I hadn't heard anything back.....until yesterday - I got an email from one of the coordinators that said: Hi Cindy, I have hired a Medical/Therapist Team to look after the event. I have cc'd them on this e-mail. They will be able to help you out. Best Regards, Kevin... Confused?? & then: Thanks for wanting to help out. The plan is, the race organization decided to charge massage therapists a daily flat fee to be able to set up an area. That fee is $75 / day. Then, you charge what you want per athlete. As far as volunteering, That is per your schedule. If you would like to do both, massage and volunteer, we'll probably try to have you around the start/finish. Are you thinking every day, just a few? Volunteers get lots of goodies and schwag so helping out a little gets you lots of stuff. So, the plan is to let me know if you would like to do both? How many days? Then, you and I will get the best places and times for you to be around. Talk to ya soon. Bryan I'm confused...I thought I signed up to volunteer for the thing! both for general help & MT (I believe initially, massage therapists were listed on the volunteer page) the TRR costs $2700 per team (2 persons) for the six days already....I've never done one of these....I've never heard of the athletes paying the therapists @ an event...I wasn't looking to pay $450 to help w/the thing! nor was I looking for "work" per se... I'm so new at all of this! What do you know about it??
                Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
                  I don't know anything about it, but I'd either call them or send an email asking for clarification, as well as clarifying your position of volunteering only, which should mean you don't pay $$ for anything. It may be that as a volunteer you're limited to a certain number of minutes per athlete (i.e. 30). If the athlete wants a longer massage (1 hour), then they have to pay.

Leslie
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Ultrachick

HI Everyone, I'm enjoying a quiet week without my kids. My parents took them to their camp in Maine for the week. Sort of a quiet week mileage wise with my 50 miler coming up on Saturday. Leslie-I'll do you a favor by not asking you to eat or drink anything for me Big grin OK? Jewels-Take your time and get better so you're not permanently side lined. Jim- No, my son didn't make it to NJ-the tournament for his age group was cancelled after a mix up on the size of the team. He was disappointed as was I but on the flip side he's in Maine now and I'm a little richer. The Jay race is July 26 and it's sold out. The full marathon last year was about 33 miles while the half was around 18-19. Crossing that stream was easy-it's the 4 miles of running in a river before that that's tough (on the toes). Cindy-each race is different when it comes to massages. Some races offer them for free while others charge-usually around $1 per minute (on the east coast anyway). Arla-Take care with the fires. Jim and Lynda-hope you're doing well. Easy six mile trail run this evening at the trail center while Jack mtn biked raced. Came across a couple deer in a field and one let me go right by without running away-pretty cool. Last night was the weekly 5K trail race where I thought I got my butt kicked but finished in 27:04, finishing 25th out of 109 women and 6th out of 31 in my age group (35-44). I'm happy with that! Am I ready for a 50 miler though......hmmmmm...... Confused Kelly
                    If you never go fast, you'll never go fast.

flatland mountaineer

I got in 3.1 as per "coach" Jonathan today, "easy run" was within a few seconds of my July 4, 2007 Pr 5 k race. supposed to do 1.5 with .5 at race pace tommorow. Local 5k on the 4th. We are going pretty hard in about 10 different directions with getting corn work caught up and wheat harvest equipment ready so we are ready when its ready. We are going to do some custom harvest work for a neighbor also. We have one whopper of a wheat crop out there, just hope we can get it before the hail does. Basically payday is 2 times a year with wheat harvest and fall harvest and the time is near. The week so far is much better than last. Leslie do we have to RSVP, I'd really like to show up for the party, oh ya that silly harvest thing. Jewels like the others are telling ya, get well first, its frustrating not to go like you want, just report in here, we will be your support group........ My name is.......Its been 5 days since my last run........... Wink Cindy nice report in the forum, everytime I go to comment our internet has acted up. Anyway I hear ya on the altitude, 10k feet is a big deal. Takes me a good week to really feel decent in Estes and the park. Joe hope ya get to do some sailing this weekend. Does Buddy sail as well as he runs? Kelly good luck on your next race saturday. Arla I would send you some good clean Nebraska air but often times it smells like cow manure and you might like the smoke better. Wink Anyway hope you're getting some good run time. Carol if you are out there have a great holiday. Jim modified to add 1.5 this morning with .5 @ race pace in the middle of an easy run. getting nervous Shocked light rain last nite, no hail

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Kelly, girl, you're gonna do GREAT in the 50 miler! We'll all be mentally rooting for you. And I'll raise a toast and eat . . . well, something . . . in your honor. Go! Run Wild! And Do Great Things!! Big grin

Leslie
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Top 'O the World!

K*E*L*L!*Y~ K*E*L*L*Y! WOOT WOOT!!! {{{{{{{requesting/sending additional mojo vibes & "stuff" for a successful 50 miler!!}}}}} Good Luck & Happy Trails this wknd girl!! thanks for the input...I think I'm just a bit confused btwn the initial posting that had m.t. under "volunteers'...& that my mindset was/is to just be support staff & help w/the event that way...I'll chat more w/the coordinators about it before making a decision...I just hadn't considered it from a position of "working it" that way....difference btwn being an Indian or a Chief.? & I guess I hadn't been @ an event that charged the athletes for massage (always as a volunteer M.T.) but then, they were always single day/fundraiser things..... hmmm, temp 55*F/82%H...ugh!! 2.56/27:42...dripping- hilly- some- short- speedwork ... Wink (wondering/hoping the hail stuff missed R2 & Lynda!!) C
                            Joe - {{{{{{{NO HAIL VIBES}}}}}}}}} And have fun running the 5k on the 4th. 1.25 hours of strength/core/knee work this a.m. Beautiful sunrise over Kneeland Mountain. Hopefully, we're getting out of here early today, which means I better get my rear in gear and get one attorney's billing done or he'll have a cardiac on me. Good luck to our races, and everyone have a safe and fun 4th!!

Leslie
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Ultrachick

Enjoy the holiday everyone! Our thread was falling towards the bottom so I'm bringing us back towards the top! Wink Kelly
                              If you never go fast, you'll never go fast.
                                Good morning and happy 4th to everyone..... Good luck to our weekend racers......go get 'em! Heading out the door to Ocala. Will be back Sunday afternoon.....talk to you all then! Hope everyone's weekend is a safe one! Jewels
                                But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee