Masters Running

Sat/Jan 7, 2012 thread - ganbare OM's first marython (Read 520 times)

Dave59

7 miles this morning for me.

Then helped take the tree apart and drag it down to the basement.  I vote we stop putting up a Christmas tree at our house.  Too much work.

Nice running in Japan, Tet.

Keep off the sore foot, OM.  Make everyone wait on you today.

Speedy running Mike.  I'm glad you and your "friends" don't live around here.  I would never place in the age group.

I finally started my effort to re-lose the weight (yesterday).  The first couple days always seems to put me in a bad mood.  But if I can have some early success and get the momentum going it starts to get easier.  I need to get in shape for Green Bay.

evanflein

Dave, we didn't put up a tree this year because we didn't want it destroyed by the new kitteh who thinks everything is here for her entertainment. I gotta tell ya though, I got over the "gee a tree would be nice" thing when I thought of all the work to set it up and take it down... And share some of that weight loss momentum, will ya? I can't seem to even get started.

Finnie, Donovan is adorable! And what kid would love a fire on the table? I'm sorta glad we didn't have that option when mine were little. I can just imagine DS2 wanting to set fires on the dining room table for fun... marshmallows anyone?

Have fun, OM! That achilles is a concern though, so take care (I know you are, it's just like tw said... we gotta say it). The year I did Disney the weather was just about perfect. Warnings of a cold start were overblown (for me, at least) and it got warm mid-day but not bad at all. My finish picture has me with a smear of chocolate Gu on my face. Lovely. My only real word of advice: don't forget your chip! Roll eyes

Mariposai, have fun with the house. I love days like that. And we're down to one car again because my car's fuel pump died. If it's not one thing, it's another. Seems like we can't get a break. The interesting thing though, is we've found the one part on a Saab that costs less than on a GMC Sierra: the fuel pump. The Saab's is about half the price. Go figure.

Warmer here, but still cold (just -20 this morning). I've gotten soft. And fluffy. Need to get over my "I don't wanna run in the cold" thing or I'll be wearing out that treadmill. Ran just 3.5 easy miles last night and plan today is for 9. Sometime. Sooner or later....

Good smart racing Mike and your son is a star!

Tramps, wow that is still a lot of miles, on a warm day, don't forget.

Speaking about fast runners, a bunch of high school kids blew past me on the trails.  Wasn't long before I could barely see them up ahead.

3.1 easy miles, 40F, no wind really, super humid as always.

I am happy I will hit 20 miles for the week tomorrow with just a 2.3 mile run (according to my log, it has been since the end of April that I went over 20 miles/week, I hadn't realized it was that pathetic).

DH is thinking about signing up for the biggest loser contest at his company.  He would look great 30 pounds lighter but I don't see how he will ever give up beer with the work buddies.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

pfriese

Go OM!!!!

Near perfect running conditions this morning, but a difficult 16 mile run. I just wasn't feeling it, so took it slow and easy to enjoy the run.

Have s great weekend.

Paul

Marathon Maniac #957

I think, for the first time in my life, I ran a smart race. 

Smile

Congratulations to Ryan for winning and to you for a stellar race!

Tet - awesome run!

Orange Mat - rest up, ice up, and have a wonderful race!

Mary - thanks, and I will look for the email.

Paavo - Like Erika said, adorable!  And thank's for the reminder, because I keep meening to take my kids to the local Japanese restaurant that does that - I think they would love it, too.

Erika - Sorry to hear about the car.  And if anyone here deserves to feel like, "I don't wanna run in the cold", it's you

Today was supposed to be a short recovery run after yesterday's slow and stiffish 12 miles and before tomorrow's LR, but the weather was lovely (low 40's) and my legs felt surprisingly sproinky.  I held back, though, because I would really like to have a decent-quality LR tomorrow (meaning a decent pace and fewer walk breaks), something I haven't had in a long while.

6.15 recovery-ish paced (ave 10:34) miles, followed by stability ball crunches.

Then DH and I went to Aldi and Meijer for groceries, and managed to spend $260, in spite of buying up mostly sale items and having $12 in coupons.  One thing we are never short on here is food...very important with a teenage boy in the house....Roll eyes

DD has a basketball at 3pm, then we have church at 5:30pm, then a scary movie to watch tonight (Insidious), but hopefully I can check back in to see how Ribs did on his race and how OM's foot is doing....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

shadow runner

The Shirtless Wonder

OM - good luck and keep taking care of that foot.

Mike - Great race. Congrats on the AG.

Out for 5.8 easy miles, temps around 65F. It was great.

Joe Suder

Nulla camisia et nulla problematum 

OrangeMat

MM #6177

Have fun, OM! That achilles is a concern though, so take care (I know you are, it's just like tw said... we gotta say it). The year I did Disney the weather was just about perfect. Warnings of a cold start were overblown (for me, at least) and it got warm mid-day but not bad at all. My finish picture has me with a smear of chocolate Gu on my face. Lovely. My only real word of advice: don't forget your chip! Roll eyes

It's all very much appreciated, really. Actually, part of me wants to get it all over with already, so I don't have the stress of having to run hanging over me as it has been lately. Soon enough, I'm sure...

And thanks especially for the advice about the chip. No worries, it's a B-tag, and I'm sure I won't forget my bib. Smile

So the family is away for the day, and I'm enjoying the quiet here. I do have to leave the room at some point so that housekeeping can do their thing... maybe at dinner... though speaking of food, since I slept late (8am), I'm hoping that my plan to wake up at 1am for "breakfast" will really work out properly. It's a .7 mile walk to the bus stop, which I need to be at by 3:15am or so. I'll be FINE.... (right??) Big grin

aka FlyingFinn

3 hours 6 minutes with some hugh hills on a springlike day.The legs felt much better today than Thursday. I felt a bit low on carbs near the end, otherwise a good run.

Congrats to Tet, Mike, Ryan on the awesome runs.

Go, OM, go!

Instructions for living a life:

Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it.   ~~~Mary Oliver

King of PhotoShop

Ha, on Mike E's comment.  Everyone better duck or hide in the cellar because I ran 1:55!  Not only did I not meet my goal, I didn't even come close.  My RP told me on Monday, "why did you run 17 yesterday, 6 days from your Half?"  I told her I was super comfortable and a nice restful week would set me up fine.  But really, I was on pace today for 2 miles and I knew I wasn't feeling sproinky.

When that happens you have that sick feeling of watching your race slip by mile by mile, a few seconds here and there.  I hate that.  No trouble with the distance of course, and no agony, just no legs.  Now on the other hand, this is my Club's big race and we had a hugh turnout, made a lot of money (which is good because we are a non-profit and most of the money goes to animal rescue groups) and I had a ball being with people I know and care about.  The Saint and Riblet worked a water stop and I am proud of them. Also won my AG.

But the big news today is clearly OM.  Good to read she is resting today.  Staying off your feet the day before is a good idea.  Good luck to you.

Sarge, that is a terrific quote, applicable to so many things. 

Let me share with all of you a quote I read last week that touched me:

"There is always tomorrow, and life gives us another opportunity to do things right.  But in case I am wrong, and today is all that is left to me, I would love to tell you how much I love you and that I will never forget you."  Gabriel Garcia Marquez

Spareribs

Mike E. congratulations to you and Ryan on your races!  Double for beating the talker!

OrangeMat good luck with your foot.  Plan B:  Bring a camera and take pictures with all the characters along the way!  As you will see that is actually Plan A for a lot of people!  Just have fun no matter what.

Paavo S. nice short run!  Wink

Dave59 easier?  Never for me!

Holly S. all I can say is that it sure is easy to blow $200+ at the grocery store these days.  It is just my DW and me and we have a whole collection of "free" reusable bags we get from the store each time we pass that $200 mark.

evanfein bad luck with the cars.  I hope this is the end of the repair stream.

I would mention the temperatures around here today but it will just get our local ice queen upset!  Big grin  Let me put it this way, it is warm enough that I am smoking ribs outside.  Yea, you can do it in the cold of winter.  But who wants to keep running out in 20 degree weather to a grill to make sure it is between 250 and 300 all day?  But when it is 61 (oops!  sorry evanflein!) then running out is not so bad!  Cool

This morning my DW went out for 5 miles with the local Joggers Club.  I did the elliptical.  Then went down to join the club at the finish to see how things were and find out if there were any of my pineapple-date muffins left.  Nope!  All gone.  Just as well since I had some already.  Tomorrow I head down to a 10k race which I will "run" for 5 miles and then slow jog in after that.  Real racing is still a bit off given where I am now.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Mariposai

Let me share with all of you a quote I read last week that touched me:

"There is always tomorrow, and life gives us another opportunity to do things right.  But in case I am wrong, and today is all that is left to me, I would love to tell you how much I love you and that I will never forget you."  Gabriel Garcia Marquez

Spareribs

Great quote Ribs. Marquez is the king of all kings in the Spanish litererature.  One of my favorite authors, not for the plot of his work, but because of his written word is exquisite.

Here is the original verse of this quote in Spanish:

Siempre hay un mañana y la vida nos da otra oportunidad para hacer las cosas bien, pero por si me equivoco y hoy es todo lo que nos queda, me gustaría decirte cuanto te quiero, que nunca te olvidaré. Garbiel Garica Marquez.

(ohh, sorry to hear Ribs that you missed your dream goal! But just be patients! Wink

twocat, you betterEvil be slow jogging that 10k or I will send the editor to hunt you!!!Clown. Ribs in January, that sounds so good. BTW, that reminds me of one of my New Year's resolution...I want to be the best ribs making gal in my county. I am tired of having the guys having no competition from the girls as the "best ribs" maker....so boys..send your recipes my way!

Erika, bummer about the car. He had our own car troubles last year....yuk. They are so expensive!

Funny, it is 1pm here and I have not moved from my sofa where I started listening to flamenco music and crocheting all morning long. I better go for a run!

Rest OrangeMat restttttttttttttt!! and enjoy your Victory lap tomorrow!!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Go OM Go! and I hope the foot behaves tomorrow. You are smart to baby it today. 

When I ran Disney, I got up at 1:30 am and had oatmeal and went back to sleep until about 2:45 am and hustled over to the starting line. Worked out okay and I was snoozing by the pool afterwards! 

Iron J asked if I'd keep her company at a Fat Ass 50k race at a state park in Topsfield today. She actually planned to do just 4 out of the 5---6.2 mile loops and I had enough time to do 3. There was a 2.5--3 hour run on my plan, the weather is absolutely spectacular here and why not experience a long run on trails with lots of friendly folks and all for free (well, the price of gas to get there). We had a blast and while I would have loved to run the whole way with her I had to get back to clean-up. 2:52:19 and we ran each loop dead even---up forest hills, across park expanses, along old stone walls, over bridges and trying to be nimble over countless roots and rocks. Fun!  She's planning to run a 50k every month as she trains to run across the state to raise money for brain cancer research. Looks like I'll have a running J buddy who will want to go

L-O-N-G lots. 

Off to the kiddo's hockey game now. Happy Hockey Day in New England!

Thanks for the great start Tet!

MTA: Great news about Huntley Mary and what a relief. Holly---Huntley is Hudson's father and such a sweetie.

Best of luck to you OM! I'll be thinking of you tomorrow while on a run of my own. Should I know what "ganbare" means?

That's a decent HM time, Ribs, even if it's not what you were aiming for. Good job, as usual.

Speaking of running, this weather is starting to get on my nerves! Usually this time of year is when I start ticking off my list of things to do personally and around the house that I don't have time for when I'm spending so much time outdoors in the warm weather. So this weather is seriously setting me back on my to-do list! I finally took a day off from major exercise and actually felt guilty about it when I saw it was 50s and sunny out there. Angry

Well, tomorrow I've got the club Bagel Day run out at the lake and will find out how Perch does with his first duty session as host. I sure hope he's a coffee drinker because there's usually nothing much worse than drinking coffee that's been made by someone who doesn't drink the brew. Roll eyes His choice of extra goodies will also be up for critique. Making you nervous yet, Steve? The pressure's on! Big grin

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

It's all very much appreciated, really. Actually, part of me wants to get it all over with already, so I don't have the stress of having to run hanging over me as it has been lately. Soon enough, I'm sure...

Didn't I tell you mile 25 is the best part?

A good yoga class this morning, and just now, I did about an hour bike ride.  I bought a $3 knee compression sleeve and am trying that out today.  It holds the thin ice pack on well.  Only 600mg of ibu when I got home, so how's that Enke?  I have doctors who say NSAIDS are worthless and others who have said I wasn't taking enough.

"I didn’t run a race until I was 41 and that was a marathon! Let that sink in for a minute." -me

I have to agree with opie and the others who posted the other day about dealing with aging parents.  It can be stressful and tough on the nerves.  I try to think of the years that the folks invested in raising me and my siblings when I get a little frustrated.  opie, good luck with the promotion you applied for.  hopeful, I'm glad to hear that Huntley's heart is ok.  Ilene, belated happy birthday.  Mike nice 5K, beating your goal by over a minute and being 1st in AG.  Also congrats to that speedy Ryan.  tet, way to go chalking up another marathon.  ribs, you may not have met your goal for your half but it was still plenty respectable.  CNY, nice job keeping IronJ company in her race.

Nice long runs for Slo, heme, Tramps, pfriese, Holly, and paavo.

This morning, I did a local 5K.  A lot of my buds were there and, as usual, I enjoyed their company.  I finished in 27:15 for a pace of 8:49.  I was 58/79 OA and 3/5 in my AG (65-69).  A mile warmup and 2.9 miles after the race gave me 7 miles for the day.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS