Masters Running

Monday 9/18/23 - walking the dog in falling leaves (Read 36 times)

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Don't know what everyone's doing but I figured it'd be done when I woke up in the still dark at 6:30am to a mistry morning walk with some slightly yellow leaves on one of the many oak trees down the street and some dried ones already on the ground for the first indication of autumn around here after a great summer.

Stumpy - maybe for Maggie but our classic station played Gershwin's Promenade on "Walking the Dog" that more reminded me of "Walking Me" the way I'm going nowadays.  Fortunately, there's a walking division in more-and-more of the favorite events I used to enjoy running, including the 10/8 UW Husky Dash.  With ophthamology and Orthopedist appointments this week, I'll find out if I can do it, . . . or even see it if I do.  Never dreamed I'd be looking forward to surgeries of all kinds so much.  Thank you Medicare.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Thanks, tet.  I was just about to kick us off.  Good luck with the appointments!

5.6 miles on one of my hilly neighborhood courses.  Beautiful 55 and clear, but I didn't want to go.  I did it anyway.

Great pictures, Steve, and baby update from BTY.   Sounds like a possible meetup at Bay State!  Good luck to all.

I have to drive to north Atlanta tomorrow for a half day (afternoon) legal conference and then we all go to the Braves-Phillies game.  I haven't seen my Phillies "live" in years, so I'm excited.  The hotel is right next to the ballpark, which is supposed to be a great venue.  I'm not excited about the drive.

Happy Monday, Masters!

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Steve - great pics of the practice trick or treaters!!

I am so sick!! Still Covid negative but just feel like crap

denise

Marathon Maniac #957

Tet - thanks for the start.  We love to shop at Trader Joe's.  They have lots of items we like, and the prices are very reasonable for organic.  One of our favorites is the Mandarin Chicken (in the frozen foods), and while I know you don't drink, they have very nice wine and craft beer selection and prices.

Karen - safe driving and enjoy your Phillies!

Steve - they still haven't decided between Floyd and Jonah?  Great pics and I love the practice trick or treat idea.  As for the Boston Marathon - I can't imagine that they can't find more room for attendees and racers if they expanded the field, but the course itself may be limited, although I have no idea why.

{{{Deez}}}

Yesterday I got in 2.6 miles with the dogs - thought I would experiment with them on runs a bit - then lots of minor household projects and chores.

Rest day for me today.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

mrrun

Tet - thanks for the start

my recollections on Boston marathon is there are a couple of issues. One it goes thru 8 towns not 1 like NY or Chicago- second people have to be bussed to the start & Hopkington has limited capacity.

spent an extra hour at food pantry because they were short handed. Then brought my iPad to doctor who said minimum $250 to repair as it won’t turn on so will buy new one instead.  

pouring rain here so exercise limited to short walks

marj

Hey, All -

Thanks for the start, Tet.  Good luck with the upcoming surgeries.  You're gonna be a new man!

Rest day today for me.

Saturday I had a 17-mile run at Prairie Creek with a slight mishap.  I was trucking down one of my favorite trails when my toe caught a rock and I went flying.  Couldn't maintain my balance, and since I have no idea how to tuck and roll (and there's no room to tuck and roll on this trail anyway) I tried to stop myself with my hands, jammed my right hand & shoulder, and the momentum of that move somehow sent me to the left and rolling off the trail.  Thankfully, it wasn't on a part where the slope off the trail is very steep so I only did one 360-degree roll and the abundance of ferns helped stopped my downward progress. Nothing broken, but my hand was pretty sore the rest of the weekend and I've definitely tweaked my shoulder. I have full range of motion, but it's pretty achy.  I'm guessing soft tissue trauma.

The real kicker is once I got myself to my feet and assessed that there was no real damage, composed myself, and continued on, not 5 minutes later my toe caught a frigging root and I almost did another header.  I'm not sure how I stayed upright, but I did.  . . . I need to learn to pick up my feet. 

Yesterday was an EZ 4 miles on pavement with no issues. 

Now to go back and see what happened over the weekend ~~

Leslie
              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

The reasons why I don't do any trail running..... I would seriously break something!

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

TammyinGP

That fall sounds like how my fall went during a trail marathon when I fractured my shoulder/arm in two spots. Except I didn't actually trip on anything. Just didn't pick up my feet apparently.    I'm so glad you didn't do a long term damage Leslie.   I think my main goal on our Saturday run will be picking up feet!

nothing for me today.  This week's temps will be SO much nicer and more fall like. Last week we still had a 100 degree day on Friday!

Not sore at all from yesterday's long run but will likely just do stretching/core work tonight. I have PT in the morning so want to be able to show I'm doing my PT exercises and actually seeing improvement.

Tammy

Marathon Maniac #957

. . . I need to learn to pick up my feet. 

That is so hard to do, though, especially as you get more and more fatigued.  Doesn't help that there are all those rock and roots and stuff.  Glad (hope) there are not lasting repercussions from the fall.  {{{Leslie's owies}}}

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

shadow runner

The Shirtless Wonder

Rest day for me....so I did 43 minutes of core and inclined bench press /

free weights. Then decided to hop on the semi-recumbent bike after coffee and did 10.1 miles.

Like I said rest day. Wink

Joe Suder

Nulla camisia et nulla problematum 

Rest day for me....so I did 43 minutes of core and inclined bench press /

free weights. Then decided to hop on the semi-recumbent bike after coffee and did 10.1 miles.

But did you have a shirt on?

Tet, I hope that you're able to read this article on Mt Rainier's disappearing glaciers and comment: Climate Change Is Melting Mount Rainier’s Glaciers. - The New York Times (nytimes.com)

About 48 hours ago when we got on the plane from Minneapolis back home to Detroit, a woman sat in the row behind us who was clearly sick. Yes, she had a mask on as did we most of the time, but after starting to feel a bit carpy this afternoon I took a test and got this result:

Damn! I made it almost 4 years without catching it and apparently my luck ran out. So far no serious symptoms but I'll see what happens tomorrow. We already had to cancel a gathering with old friends that we were supposed to attend. 

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

wildchild

Carolyn

Roch, bummer about the Covid!  I also avoided it for years, till I flew to California for a race in March.  Hope you have a mild case.

Leslie, hope your hand and shoulder heal up without any lasting damage.  I also trip on trails sometimes - just the way it goes.  I walk a lot when the trail gets rough - I've even been known to trip and fall when walking, if I'm not paying attention!

Nice resting, Joe!

I ran a gorgeous 25k race yesterday called the Lead King Loop - I posted a RR in a separate thread.  Today I'm a bit tired, so I just walked 2 miles, then split and stacked a bunch of firewood, which isn't exactly restful, but uses different muscles from running!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Surly Bill I watched the Diamond League meet, and yes it was amazing. So many records and photo finishes!

deez4boyz I picked up a cold of some sort this past spring. It took me over a week to beat it. I hope yours get crushed faster.

roachrunner I hope you feel better soon.

About Boston, I am pretty sure that the area's bed base can easily handle another 5 to 10 thousand runners. I know the runners have to be bussed to the start, but another wave means more time to do it. My bet is that the capacity restriction is political. I suspect, one or more of the towns the course goes through do not want to extend the time frame over which they have to keep their roads closed. That has certainly been an issue in my town where a modesty popular HM shuts a few roads for several hours.

Not much to report workout wise. Just an hour on the elliptical.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Doug - welcome back and yuk on the covid.  With my knee postponing any plans for scaling the stairwells up to the our eleventh floor and with one of the two elevators temporarily out-of-commission along with occasional reports of covids in the building that can't be specified because of HIPAA privacy rules to say nothing of me going along more and more with everyone else not masking here (but I'm still masking up at the doctors' and in Chinatown where most everyone else still does), I'm hoping that those who do mask here, e.g. in the elevator, are the positive ones whose masks are going to keep them from giving it to the rest of us but, I suspect, my days are numbered too.  Good luck.

ps on the glaciers - I think I used up my NYT quota but the Muir Icefield that would be called a glacier except it's on such a gentle sloping side of Mt. Rainier that it provides a solid route of packed snow on top of the smooth ice below without any crevasses making for the easy annual climbs I used to do up to Camp Muir at 10,000' and then glissade back down is reported to now be breaking up melting and cracking of the ice below thereby creating huge crevasses and sinkholes under the softening snow making ascents extremely dangerous. I'm glad I got to go up there when it was safe, . . ., except for one sunny day in May 1962 when I was leading a group of high school alumni friends on their ways back to Alaska from our freshmen years at colleges all over the country for summer vacation and work and it fogged in and I got totally lost actually heading for one of the glaciers that isn't there anymore when the fog lifted for a brief miraculous moment and I saw the Paradise Lodge way over in the other direction.  Whew. from their c

Even more striking, if not shocking, to me is the melting and retreat of the Mendenhall Glacier that you FulGaz'ed out to last summer to the Visitor's Center where the face of the glacier used to be when I graduated from high school in 1961 but from where you can't even see the little bit of the glacier that still touches the last little bit of Mendenhall Lake that it used to cover almost half of without walking out from the Visitor's Center the 3/4 mile out to the Nugget Falls that Michigan Mary did when she was up there. Until the seventies, you couldn't even walk out along the beach to the falls because the glacier was there and the falls emerged from a big ice cave underneath that it created.  Now you can barely see where they glacier touches the lake almost a mile away from the falls.

If anyone ever has any time when they might get up that direction, the other side of the lake (where the Skater's Cabin that used to at the glacier face when we used to have high school parties out there is now some two miles away and you can't even see it anymore) has a pretty much bushwacking trail up and through all the new growth as the glacier receded with year markers (glacier face - 1970, 1980, 2000, etc.) all the way to the current face.  The trail's getting longer and longer: from around 100' a year when I was growing up through last year's, 800' retreat of the glacier melting so we're talking several miles in my lifetime. As a result, the Forest Service estimates the scenic views of the glacier towering over about 500' of the lake into the lake that used to be two miles of it in my days will be gone by 2050 and tourism will be limited distant views of it up the mountainside of the Mendenhall Valley to the ice cap or to helicopter tours.

Same with  Portage Glacier near Anchorage where I ran the Glacier Marathon in 1978 with a spectacular glacier view across Portage Lake that you can't even see anymore, . . . and, yep, the Glacier Marathon t-shirt is one of the precious memory ones I kept during our recent move.

Leslie! - fantastic!

I had no idea that you've progressed so far in trail running that you can take a fall like that and not only not break anything but not even have any bruises, abrasions or blood to show for it. However, take it easy on Tammy next week. Smile

Holly - at only a half a block away, Trader Joe's is definitely our favorite of the six or seven other grocery stores all within walking distance.  In fact, we like it so much that their attractive alcoholic beverage displays almost make me feel badly about not imbibing but it's too late to change now, . . . and, even if it wasn't, I don't want to. With the information you provided, I like it even more. Thanks.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Yeah, TJs has good prices on wine, many from France, etc.

I am not a big fan though of their mostly plastic-packaged produce.

Covid, it seems to making the rounds again. Lots of people I know are dealing with it now. None are remotely close to going to the hospital or ER because of it but have greatly changed their travel plans, which most people didn't generally do before for their run of the mill bad colds. And honestly, I wish people would relegate covid to the general status of - I have a cold, mild/moderate/bad - and act accordingly. Yes, someone's mild cold might be someone else's bad cold, but that has always been the case.

Also, I hate hearing this (I've heard this from a few people): my covid test kits were past the expiry date, so I did not do a covid test. 1) there is a control lane in the test, and if that lights up, the test is still valid and functional.  2) if the new strains did not work on these tests (ie, they would not light up the control lane), we would have heard about it, and so far, I've only heard that these older tests do work on the newer variants.  So use up those old 'expired' kits if you want to know if you have covid or not.

Had a really nice weekend at the cabin with MBE. The weather was a bit unseasonably warm for September at 84 degrees F on Friday and 80 on Saturday, so I convinced MBE to swim in the lake with me both those days. It was perfect!  Today at 56 F and cloudy, we did a power walk around the neighborhood at the cabin - 3 miles for me, much more for him. Then back to work/reality.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."