Masters Running

Wednesday 5/30 Workouts and whatever else (Read 448 times)

Hi Gang.  I'm still alive.  Glad to see you all are also!  Some really great races for many of you.  Good job Fatozzig, WildChild, MikeE, CNY, and the Green Bay crew.  (Sorry your race got short changed.)

As I mentioned a few weeks ago, I took a good long break, to heal up after my Bike Crash and for the vacation.  It was tough to miss running Bayshore but it was the right thing to do.  I was in no shape to run it and the Bike wounds woulda made for a painful day had I tried to run.

The vacation was great and we got the place ready for the season.  There was such superb weather in Michigan.  Wish I could transport some of it to Florida for the next 5 months.  The rainy season has started and the H&H is here to stay.

The Road Rash is about healed up, with the exception of my right hand which is taking it's sweet time.  Lots of pink, new skin all over.  I've only run 3 short runs, just to do something.  No swims or bikes whatsoever.  (I'm probably going to be a bit skittish on the bike for a while and I'm sure to take the corners slowly.  But this will pass.)  I'm sure to be near the bottom when the monthly recap thread gets put up.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Dave59

I ran 4.5 miles this morning.  It was 50° and my hands got cold.

The doctor's office called and said my cholesterol was worse and the doctor wants to set-up an appointment to discuss medication.  They will be calling again to set the time. 

mrrun

(((Bill and Dave - heal quickly)))

Ran at 4 at 5 am, because I woke up early and couldn't go back to sleep.  could have run further, but I still had to bike to work and I'm not used to bricks - for all you tri athletes.  Came back all sweaty from humidity which seemed to have dropped by 7:15 when I biked in.  At least now I don't have to RAL!

Happy runs, etc to all who follow

marj 

King of PhotoShop

Dave, the doctor is likely going to give you a statin, like Lipitor or Crestor.  Some statins will give you some muscular discomfort, so have a talk with the doctor about running and that you want to try the medication out. Lipitor gave me problems, but I am fine with the Crestor.  Good luck.

I ran a 20K race on Monday along with my RP.  My plan was to run it at MP, rather than HMP as I am not in race shape and we're now in our summer heat season.  This worked out just fine but it backfired on me in a way because I was alone in my AG.  Should have run the 5K instead.  The course was an out-and-back, so on my way out I was counting the people ahead of me. My RP came along and she was 3rd female but didn't look like she was doing well.  Sure enough, she told me later she had some GI issues and had to stop to use the restrooms, and jogged/walked the 2nd half of the course.  And with all that she still won her AG, so we had a pretty good day.

Jury duty yesterday.  Got kicked out at noon for arguing about chiropractors vs. doctors in a car accident civil suit.  I'm 65 now and can't be called again for 5 years, when I'm 70, and at 70 I can claim an exemption, so I am done with jury duty for life!  Spareribs

Jury duty yesterday.  Got kicked out at noon for arguing about chiropractors vs. doctors in a car accident civil suit. 

Big grin

Back at work. *sigh*  Time off is so nice!  The plan was to go for a long walk this morning, but plans changed when the alarm went off and I needed more snooze time due to no snooze time between 2:00 and 4:00.

Holly - Re blisters - I'm wearing a shoe with a much wider toe box than before, and I cover the front half of my feet and my toes - especially around the big toe and the side of the ball where I'm blister prone - in Hydropel.  That stuff is da bomb!

Leslie
            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Wow, where the heck did the morning go?    We are heading out for our first camping trip after noon tomorrow, so I am cramming in all sorts of stuff in preperation.

Good to see you back here MrByll!   You did pick a great week for the Michigan weather.    Good to hear you are healing up.

I hope all goes well at the Dr. Dave59. 

I did get out for 3.5 miles with Brinkley this morning, and then another 1.5 with the birthday girl, B'Nellie.    Brinkley's front paw has been giving him pain for reasons I can't figure out, but he has been walking on it for a few days now, so hopefully all is well.   As Dave59 mentioned, it was only 50° and it felt mighty cool.

Happy Hump Day!!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
              It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

fatozzig, you had an impressive 3 days.  holly, that was a great picture of you and hally.  mtnchk, nice half for you and full for your husband.  hopeful, congrats on the 10K PR on a tough course.  skip and Mike, great you got to run together.  breger, I'm glad to hear you are healing from your bike crash.  ribs, good job in your 20K.

Nice long run for rhoon.

This morning, it was in the low 50s and there was just a light breeze.  I had no desire to go for a run but went out anyway.  I only lasted 2 miles at about a 10:50 pace and then walked 2 slow miles.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

...Welcome back Burger

..................hang in there dave//.........Think Low-Fat Thoughts.....

=========

...104min hiking, 90s

............24min poolrun, room-temperature

..................good running guys

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Marathon Maniac #957

..................hang in there dave//.........Think Low-Fat Thoughts.....

Smile

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Marathon Maniac #957

Jury duty yesterday.  Got kicked out at noon for arguing about chiropractors vs. doctors in a car accident civil suit. 

Why does this not surprise me?  Big grin

Hi Byll!

7.3 easy-paced miles for me this morning in a lovely 62 degrees.

DH has now lost 33 lbs, and has decided he wants me to do P90X with him three times/week.  We started this morning.  For now, since he has not worked out at all in the entire time I've known him (17+ years), we are starting with 15 minutes each time, Mon, Wed, Fri.  I am so proud of his progess so far, and hope he keeps it up.  I introduced him at the party we went to Sunday as my "trophy husband."  Smile

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mariposai

Holly, it is so great to read about your DH's desire to exercise and eat healthy! Please congratulate him for us.

Byll, it seems like that bike crush was very serious. Sorry! So, when are you guys moving to Michagan?

Dave, RE:meds what Ribs said. 

Mrrun, I also was not able to sleep...too much light coming thru my window.

fatozzig, I will have to check out the hydropel. I am still nursing a bad blister from my trail marathon.

tselb, 2 miles is two miles! Great run for you yesterday.

Ribs, so this was your last chance for jury duty and they let you go Sad

Well, I was tossing and turning all night, but I felt to sleep just around 4 and slept until 6am, so my desire to visit the track was tossed to the wind and I ended up going for a briskly 5ish timeless miles. The weather was PERFECT!

Piles of reports to do today and tomorrow. I did not have a chance for lunch until now. I just want to stay home to sleep, but no luck. I even have a board meeting to attend tonight Blush. I guess I will sleep well tonight.

Carolyn, you rock!!!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

So many great strong runners here.  Congrats to Wildchild for rocking the marathon.  And to Leslie for 70 was it?  miles in 3 days in the mountains with hail.  And all you others.  It is so hard to catch up here when you lose a few days or more.  Just been too busy and we had a nice weekend  away at the cottage.  Hot tub was in full use and so much fun.

I went fishing with DD again, to the hot spot where all the fish are.  We saw several people walking away with their quota of rainbow trout and were told to come back at 9pm and we would hook one within 5 minutes.  We tried, but DD is not very patient and I guess I am not very good at this!  Maybe next time.

I've been busy....lots of lab work and my experiments are finally working...and running has been almost non-existent.  Blah.

Dave, sorry to hear about the cholesterol.  I had my physical a week ago and was shocked that 1) my cholesterol was fine after eating bacon and eggs and such all weekend beforehand, 2) I'm not borderline anemic anymore!!  Yippee!  Real numbers that don't hover on the bottom edge of normal!  I was beginning to think that maybe I had always been slightly anemic, but now I know it was because of the hypothyroidism that has since been corrected.

Less than 3 weeks until my DH takes his 3 month sabbatical, as he calls it.  I can't wait to come home to my house husband and have my dinner already made! Joking

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Marathon Maniac #957

3 month sabbatical - I can only dream of such things.....(green with envy here)...

Bushrat Runner

Few miles of walking today but no run...back at it tomorrow...

Mariposai

I went fishing with DD again, to the hot spot where all the fish are.  We saw several people walking away with their quota of rainbow trout and were told to come back at 9pm and we would hook one within 5 minutes.  We tried, but DD is not very patient and I guess I am not very good at this!  Maybe next time.

I've been busy....lots of lab work and my experiments are finally working...and running has been almost non-existent.  Blah.

This post brings smiles to my heart. It has been so long since the last time I went fishing! think childhood with my papa!!!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard