Masters Running

Monday, April 18th Racing and Tracking (Read 612 times)

Mike E

MM #5615

I know.  A 4:41 pace for 26.2 miles!  I think my best mile ever was 4:42, if I remember correctly.  It just doesn't seem possible for somebody to do that.

and of course, the fabulous PBJ!

http://boston.cbslocal.com/photo-galleries/2011/04/18/heartbreak-hill-strange-but-true/

(click through and you'll find a handsome court jester)

3:26:52!

I know.  A 4:41 pace for 26.2 miles!  I think my best mile ever was 4:42, if I remember correctly.  It just doesn't seem possible for somebody to do that.

...in 1897 the winning time was 2:55:10....

...of course

I think everyone was 5'5 so they took more steps

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Mike E

MM #5615

Well that's weird...my best is 2:55:32...and I'm 5'-5"...hmmm

HermosaBoy

Well that's weird...my best is 2:55:32...and I'm 5'-5"...hmmm

I'm 5'6" -- does that exclude me?  My time is faster...

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

lamerunner

Hey.  Thanks to the RA community for tracking us and supporting us.  I felt the vibes and also thought of that youtube video Karin posted yesterday!  and by the way, I did not take a the train.  Not sure what happened with the 15k split.  I even waved for the camera.

I had a good day by recent standards, a masters PR at least. I felt mostly strong though there were some moments of doubt in the middle; it got warm and was very sunny. I ran strong through the hills and beyond though slowed a little. Passed many on the hills and in the last couple of miles, which is not always possible for me. 

I will be interested to see what people think of the three wave thing.  i was the very front of the third wave, which was nice at the start,  then toward  the end I caught lots of 2d wave runners; the last couple of miles were congested, hard to pass,  and the post-finish area was much worse than the last couple of years.

I then walked a couple of miles to a hotel where the club on whose bus on rode had rooms with food and showers.  That was ok until I tried to stretch and got a huge hamstring cramp.

All in all a good day though long... congrats to CNY, WRFB and all the other Boston runners!

Mike E

MM #5615

Yes, Rob--it does! 

Yeah--I didn't think you were 5'-8"--but, you're still excluded!

evanflein

That picture of PBJ in the jester costume is great! Amazing he can run like he does in that.

And a few pictures later, there's a guy in a gorilla suit... alrighty then!

Thanks for posting, Lamerunner. You ran a good race today, and btw I never suspected you of hopping a train. Roll eyes

#artbydmcbride

From lostinthenet3:

"Big fail for me. No offical finish 6:43 according to garmie. Weird how I'm embarrased by my Pr of 5:17 but proud that I actually did finish. Apeartly the pt and ortho surgen were right and you need an mcl and mencis to run who knew. It will be a while before I run again as it seems they were right and time to have it fixed properly. When things went bad at the 10k I said just let me get to were my Mom and dad were going to be and I would quit but after hearing them yell for me I said one more mile until 17 I actually belived I could to quote baddawg use dougernation to finish with an offical time that was until I watched them shut down the mats as I approached. Almost quit and then decided I had suffered to much to walk away now. By 22 I had decied if I was on the course until 10 pm it would not matter as long as I finished what I started. Weird as it was at 22 last yr I blew up in a shower of sparks. Actually I quit pushing through the pain last yr. It got real hard and I went into survive mode told myself it was ok and I have been regreting for a yr. Redemption today not by the clock but personally Inside I learned I can will myself to go on. It's true the body will achieve what the mind tells it to."

Runners run

lamerunner

Thanks Erika. I doubt I could hop a train even if I wanted to; I wouldn't be able to figure it out.  I wanted to drop out in 2004 when the temps hit 95  but could not figure out how...

and I am no Rosie Ruiz.. My first Boston was 1980 when she wreacked havoc for a while...

Mike E

MM #5615

That picture of PBJ in the jester costume is great! Amazing he can run like he does in that.

And a few pictures later, there's a guy in a gorilla suit... alrighty then!

Thanks for posting, Lamerunner. You ran a good race today, and btw I never suspected you of hopping a train. Roll eyes

Thanks for pointing out PBJ--I'm sure glad he wasn't one of those weird looking ones!

Oh, and--just for the record--I was never accusing lamerunner of hopping a train, either.  But...you know...somehow she just never showed up at the 15K mark and...and then--poof--there she was at the 20K mark...and people have been known to hop on trains in this race...but, I would never accuse, or in anyway, suggest that anybody here would have done such a thing...especially lamerunner...

Mike E

MM #5615

From lostinthenet3:

"Big fail for me. No offical finish 6:43 according to garmie. Weird how I'm embarrased by my Pr of 5:17 but proud that I actually did finish. Apeartly the pt and ortho surgen were right and you need an mcl and mencis to run who knew. It will be a while before I run again as it seems they were right and time to have it fixed properly. When things went bad at the 10k I said just let me get to were my Mom and dad were going to be and I would quit but after hearing them yell for me I said one more mile until 17 I actually belived I could to quote baddawg use dougernation to finish with an offical time that was until I watched them shut down the mats as I approached. Almost quit and then decided I had suffered to much to walk away now. By 22 I had decied if I was on the course until 10 pm it would not matter as long as I finished what I started. Weird as it was at 22 last yr I blew up in a shower of sparks. Actually I quit pushing through the pain last yr. It got real hard and I went into survive mode told myself it was ok and I have been regreting for a yr. Redemption today not by the clock but personally Inside I learned I can will myself to go on. It's true the body will achieve what the mind tells it to."

Wow--thanks for passing that along!  That's cool!  That is really cool. 

pfriese

A quick report in from Boston.

I was right on pace until mile 16. Going up the first Newton hill, calf cramp that I had to stop and massage. Got going again and made it halfway up the second Newton hill and it came back. Stopped and massaged again. I then was able to run up Heartbreak hill, where it came back again. I was toast at that point, I walked/jogged and enjoyed the experience until about mile 23 where it cramped severely. Stopped and massaged again, even had doubts about whether I could finish. I walked until we turned onto Boylston where I "ran" to the finish. But I ran Boston!!! So, all is fantastic.

In hindsight, I think I'm probably not ready for a 3:30 marathon and ran too aggressive in the first 16 miles. But until that first Newton hill, I was right on pace.

I'll write up a full RR when I get back.

Paul

I will be interested to see what people think of the three wave thing.  i was the very front of the third wave, which was nice at the start,  then toward  the end I caught lots of 2d wave runners; the last couple of miles were congested, hard to pass,  and the post-finish area was much worse than the last couple of years.

Wow - if you were right at the front of the third wave I probably saw you and didnt even know it was you .... my assignment was right in front of the start of each wave!!   Back in Boston waiting for our MVS runners we were all saying the same thing about the post-finish area -- congested and seemed more disorganized than in the past ..... strange for a race so organized at the start!

denise

Mariposai

Wow!!! what an adrenaline rush for me reading the posts tonight....even hours after the runners finished their race. I refused to read the results on the web until I find out how our "own heroes did". Phenomenal job guys!!!!!!!!!!!

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You all inspired me today, as always!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope you all enjoyed your victory lap!!!!!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard