Masters Running

March 6 Fridays Follies (Read 461 times)

Deb, always glad to hear that your run made you happy: that's the way it's supposed to work. Smile Keep up the good work. Gee, what a difference a measly 40 degrees can make. That's the difference between my run on Wednesday and this morning, going from bundled up and a balaclava to the first run of the year in shorts. It also felt really good to get back onto the local rail-trail for 4.2 miles at an easy 10-minute pace. I hope that Spring is arriving for everyone else as well. Big grin

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

evanflein

I was hoping for a day off, but no such luck. We got the 6:30 a.m. e-mail saying "regular business hours" which translates loosely to "get your butt to work!" So... DH will take me in because our driveway is still a mess so my car will stay home. Nice outing for you, Deb. Sorry to hear you feel crummy though... better today? Holly, we used to always take advantage of one kid being away to pamper the other one, usually letting them pick some place to go for dinner or whatever. It was amazing how many times McDonald's was the choice, which I'd always veto... but they love playing pool so suggest that a lot now. Of course, now, we try to get them both out of the house at the same time so we can have it to ourselves for awhile! Big grin Probably no run for me today. We went to the regional basketball tournament last night, and both our alma mater and our kids' current high school made it to the finals, game tonight at 7:30. That, and the fact that I'm being driven to work and won't have a car and the streets are all still clogged with snow... well, sounds like a day off to me.

King of PhotoShop

It's shorts and T-shirt weather here now. I did just 2.2 on the dirt track as I don't want to exceed 40 miles this week, then full stretch and core workout at the Y. Spareribs

I Can Go The Distance

Good Morning Everyone, Twocat: It is 8:45 am PST and I am going to have breakfast right after I finish posting. Come over to my house and join me. Smile Yesterday's license plate posts got me thinking about something that happened to me in JR. High School. I was riding home from school on the bus, when a car cut the bus off at an intersection. The bus driver yelled out, "get the license number of that car!" Well two of my friends and I did just that. It was RNL 148. Those two guys and I have remained in close contact over the years and whenever we see each other we always say "remember-RNL 148." It's strange the things our brains remember. At least mine anyway. 8 easy miles for me today in 1:17:52 (9:45/mi pace). Ran at the park again today. It was a very clear day and the ocean view was spectacular. If anyone has ever been here to the LA area, you know that on days like today it seems like you could reach out and touch Catalina Island when you look out over the ocean. Have a great day everyone, Bruce

"Don't give up, don't ever give up." Jim Valvano

Morning Gang - Bruce - I'll be down in the Long Beach area in May for a Conference. I am very much looking forward to running in early morning warm weather. Holly - I thought a vanity plate with MNOPSL (even though I'm not . . . yet) might make people give me a wider berth when I'm driving. Big grin For you fish pill takers - what benefit are getting from taking them? I'm suppose to take iron, but I can't stand the after effects. Dead Timbo - Hope your weekend is perky. I've never been able to swim. Mom even put us in swim lessons when we were kids so at least we wouldn't drown. I can dog paddle, float on my back, and go forward under the water, but I can't do the regular swim stroke thing. My longest run this a.m. since surgery - 4 miles - and cripes! Who knew 4 miles could be so dang tuff? Am suppose to be keeping my HR under 160 for now. Yeah right. Av Pace/Best/HR 1. 10:11/9:10/145 2. 10:21/8:34/161 3. 9:48/8:07/160 4. 10:30/8:49/160 And most of Miles 3-4 were at a decline. I have a sneaking suspicion that tomorrow's trail run is going to include a lot of walking. Roll eyes

Leslie
            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Slo

Leslie I tried to link you to an unbiased source of information for the benefits of Fish Oil but in my quick search failed to find a decent neutral site. Most were peddling their own brand. Anyway......Fish Oil contains the Omega-3 fatty acids that have been proven essential for us. They act as anti-inflammatories......important for we runners, helps prevent cardio vascualr disease and stroke, improves brain function, protection from several cancers, good for your skin and lots of others claims that are probably unsubstantiated. The ones I listed are proven though. It's the only supplement I take. And I've really grown to like the burps Big grin
                I dislike those fish burps so much that I've stopped taking my fish oil pills. What's a brand that doesn't cause that? Add me to those in the crazy weather corridor. After barely breaking into the 20s on Tuesday, today it was 60 degrees and sunny. It's supposed to be 80 on Sunday! Yikes. That is not going to be pleasant long run weather. I ran a sluggish 13 miles this morning. The heat and strong SW winds were not an aid to running any faster. I am definitely in need of new shoes. My current pair have over 800 miles on them. I wear the Asics Gel Nimbus, but am not a fan of the new lacing system on the 10s. I can probably rustle up a pair of 9s still, but have a feeling I'm going to have to find a new shoe eventually. I swam for a year round club for years and years and swam in college too and never did get the hang of bi-lateral breathing. Luckily, I don't need to breathe every stroke except when swimming fast intervals. I can understand wanting to learn it, but I just never was comfortable with it. Deb, good to hear that you made it out for a run! I hope you are feeling better than yesterday. Holly, your DD sounds like my younger one. She has absolutely got the most outgoing personality and can walk into a room full of strangers and have three best friends by the end of an hour. I think she'd absolutely love that sleep over your DD is attending! I hope your son has fun with the pool. Tim and all, have a great weekend.

Once a runner . . .

Meg - I get my fish oil capsules at Sam's Club - Member's Mark I think is the brand. It usually says on the label if it is enteric-coated to supress the fish burps. I don't think it is 100% though. When I was eating grapefruit every day around the holidays, I was having tremendous heartburn with accompanying fish burps. I just have them occasionally now. I wish fish oil caps were my only supplement. I'm doing a multi-, glucosamine, calcium and B12 daily. dg - over 3 miles is great, and a happy dog is a bonus - go girl!! Hope you are feeling better today. Holly - we might have eggs, but it would have to be an immaculate conception to have baby turkeys as our hen has no gentlemen friends. She has no fear of people and seems to be a bit lonely. She gravitates towards the Canada geese when they fly in for a visit. Doug - glad you had a nice run in shorts - maybe we'll get some of your weather in the upcoming days. Leslie - congrats on the 4 miles! I did an hour of core and weights at noon. There was some residual soreness from the Wednesday workout - that's unusual for me. I've been doing 2-a-day workouts for the last couple of weeks - my body might be a telling me I need a break.

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Meg--I believe the ones that I take are Nature's Bounty. I get them at Walgreen's whenever they have the BOGOF sales. I picked them originally because they appear to be the only brand that contains no cholesterol. Figure if I'm taking them to improve cardio health, I don't need to add that in. As I said before, I never notice any fish burps, so that's not why I picked them.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Marathon Maniac #957

Meg - why don't you try Flax Oil? They have Omega 3 fatty acids, but no burps.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Thanks for the recommendations. I'll see if I can find some enteric coated ones. The gel caps are the ones I've used and they always give me nasty fish burps! Holly, are the flax oil ones just a good as fish? If so, I will try those.

Once a runner . . .

Marathon Maniac #957

Holly, are the flax oil ones just a good as fish? If so, I will try those.
                          I don't really know. There are a lot of conflicting articles out there on that subject. For instance: http://ezinearticles.com/?The-Truth-About-Fish-Oil-vs-Flax-Seed-Oil&id=171590 Still, some EFAs are better than no EFAs.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Fish burps sound unpleasant. 33F, frost coated gravel and shrubbery, sun blazing. 5 miles @ 10:48 with two hills. Nice easy paced run, no body parts complaining, and after logging 51.7 miles the past 7 days, that makes me Smile There is a regular runner on my loop, she is at least as old as I am, but looks twice as fast. I was thinking of changing directions next time she passes me, striking up a conversation and covertly hitting the lap button on my Garmin so I can measure how fast she is going.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

King of PhotoShop

Re the fish oil supplements, my cardiologist recommended I take them, 2000 mg a day, and that's a good enough reason for me. He wants to lower my LDL. Fortunately I have no reaction to these capsules, whether I take them with food or not. Spareribs
                              evanflein

We get the Fish Oil capsules at Sam's, too. I just take whatever my DH brings home. We used to get some that gave us fishy burps, I felt like a seal! But the capsules we have now don't seem to do that. Like Sue, I take other stuff, too but mainly the calcium/vit. D and glucosamine/chondroitin/MSM. We have wind today! Wow, we don't usually get much for wind. I snivel about breezes most of you would find pleasant. For all my cold temp outings, I'm really a "fair weather runner" and avoid wind, rain and active snowfall if I can. We got about a foot of snow yesterday, it's incredible. Today we have wind. So tonight we'll have drifts! Fun how that all works out. For now, I'm watching ravens playing with the wind and catching the currents off the side of the building. A couple of them hang there, look like suspended animation, right outside my window. Very cool.