Masters Running

Saturday 13 Dec taper tales and runs (Read 431 times)

King of PhotoShop

Check it and see! I've got a fever of a hundred and three!
    C'mon sr you can do more than dance!
      Amazingly beautiful at the boardwalk today. Temps in the high 30s, light breeze, dazzling sunlight. The super-low tide enticed me to do my first-ever BEACH RUN. Ran 5k, walking only 0.05 miles early in mile 3. Incredibly calm and peaceful and it was really cool to, literally, retrace my footsteps on the way back. Saw clear evidence that my feet aren't pointing as directly forward as I'd thought, creating yet another reason to be diligent about the quad strengthening. During my post-run walk I found the most beautiful moon snail shell I've ever seen and, luckily, it was vacant, so I'm adding it to my collection. Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

TammyinGP

good afternoon everyone! I thought of all our NE friends here last night as I watched news coverage of the ice stom, power outages,etc. My husband(native Calfornian) could not believe the sights of trees totally encased in ice and breaking off like that. I told him in MN we would also have ice storms like that. Dangers aside, the vision of every little branch totally surrounded in ice is very pretty. As a hobby photographer, those were some of my favorite photographs to take. I went out for a run this a.m. It wasn't much - only 2 miles and even after just one week of no running at all, this felt like an effort! Especially the hills. But there was thick fluffy snow coming down and as I was running through it, I felt mesmerized by it. It was cold but felt so good. This afternoon is my son's bday party - bowling and pizza, then he's having a friend sleep over for a movie/popcorn night. It'll be fun. Every year I make him some sort of novelty cake. one year it was a race car, then a pirate treasure chest, a Darth Vader cake, a spiderman cake, etc. This year I made him a Seahawks football field cake. Turned out pretty cute. so many great runs by many of you today. Thinking of the folks running White Rock also - I'm sure Ribs is loving hosting some friends and cheering his wonderful wife on. Can't wait to read the reports, which will hopefully be accompanied by photos. speaking of photos - little Daisy is adorable! Tim - thanks! have a good weekend all!

Tammy

Franc59

Half Fanatic #36

Good morning! 5.4 miles this morning before work, still mild out there, the snow and colder temps are coming later today...so they say... Enke: same predicament as you for tomorrow's Jingle bells 5k. I'm planning on tights...may be a short sleeve shirt and a long sleeve one which I can tie around my waist if need be....gloves and headband or hat..I tend to warm up really fast and I hate carrying extra stuff....and lots of bells of course!!!! The problem is always the very crowded post race, having to find the various members of my family..it always takes a while.. Good runs to all!! Francesca
          wildchild

Carolyn

Tammy, glad to hear you found some running mojo, even if for just two miles! Gordon, good luck running with the big dogs. I ran with the medium-sized dogs today (Tazzie and Ladybug). It's a nice day here, 37 degrees and sunny, light wind, and I wanted to do a longish run (10 miles) but had absolutely no energy. Not sure why. So I only ran 5 miles. Overall slow pace of 13:something but that includes running in snow and walking up several of the hills.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

anachrotech

Cute puppy Holly ! Wonderful run this morning. Smile 2 miles on the treadmill without walk breaks. Smile I discovered that my previous miserable runs, which required walk breaks were due to the new shoes. I put on my old 1122's and it was like heaven. The Brooks that I purchased just didn't work for me, so I returned them and now I have to try to find shoes again. Sad Perhaps I'll try Asics Gel Foundation. Good runs all.
                Got my 7-mile trail run done . . . and it snowed on us!! We probably looked like a couple of goofy kids smiling and cracking up at the snow. I realize those of you who live in this stuff aren't impressed Wink, but in the over 21 years I've lived here, this is only the fourth time it's snowed here on the coast. Go 20-30 minutes inland, and they get snow all the time, but not here on the coast. So 7 miles in 1:31:46. It went really well and worked out the kinks from last night's strength training. As for the rest of the day, I should do some housework . . . but why? Smile

Leslie
                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

hi everyone, some impressive runs out there despite the temps -- my mojo is still in the toilet -- had a late night for a friend's 50th b-day party then up early for son's 8am b-ball game...........i was so hoping the power hadn't returned in that school!! -- bad mom!! anyway -- nothing today either -- just some stretching and abwork -- was not motivated enough to go out in the 24 degree weather and wind and couldn't seem to get myself to the gym - instead did a little decorating and slept for the afternoon............now time to get ready for 12 hours of work!! holly -- the puppy is so cute!!

denise

dg.

Holly, thanks for the pictures! what a cutie. Nice run. brr. Leslie... a little late for this. but be careful! how's your hamstring? it's possible that a slip & fall might not help. gordon, good luck! Walt... sorry about your trees! Nono.. your almost 2 yr. old son likes pomegranate? thanks Tom. I hope you have fun at the game. indoor or not, that was still a nice run. You always set a great example & are an inspiration. Please don't be too hard on yourself. I have a similar battle... the reasons are valid, but still it feels weird. That's one reason I hold on to my Sunday's outside regardless of the weather.. although I'm debating a little about tomorrow. still pretty carpy today.. this morning I was thinking about the guidelines for running while sick.. above the neck is ok. then realized it had migrated south. but really not too bad! I had an eye doctor appt. right over by my gym, so went there after. It went surprising well.. ever have a better run when you have no expectations for it? planned on 2 but did 4:04. ave. pace 9:21, max 7:35. ahr 163, max 180. miles 10:19, 9:30, 8:50, 8:36. yay. then 25 min. on the elliptical & 1 set on the weight machines. Of all days.. the steam room was closed. "sorry for the inconvenience". felt good after but out of steam myself right now. I'm only through page 1... but have to get some work done.
                    Jlynne

dg - below the chest, let it rest. Take care of yourself - you don't want to be sick for Christmas! Leslie - what's your address? I'll overnight express you enough snow to make sure your Christmas is really white! Spareribs - what awesome totals for the week! It's so great you're back at it again. You must feel excited about getting your numbers back up there again. Holly - thanks for the tip. Now, to just find a time to hit the local mall when there's not 10 million people there. I talked to DS#2 today. We're picking him up next Friday for two weeks of leave, first time he's been home since basic training. We are all so excited, and greatful, that he'll be home for Christmas this year.
                      dg.

Jeanne... you're right. thanks. paying for it now. I'm so happy about your DS2!!! SR.... I almost forgot! please hug LaT for me. twice. I'm sure you won't mind. thank you. good luck to the racers tomorrow. mta... congratulations to you. Big grin Erika... Roll eyes Mary & everyone that braved this weather... way to go.
                          Hello masters. 6 easy miles for me at recovery pace. Good runs to all!
                          Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                          Mariposai

I am glad I got home just before the ice and wind. It sure is good to be home. DS1 is home from college. DH was the task master for the boys today...the result of their efforts is a totally clean home, they even mopped the kitchen floor. Cooking Thai chicken curry for dinner and then off with the boys to the symphony.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

dg.

I am glad I got home just before the ice and wind. It sure is good to be home. DS1 is home from college. DH was the task master for the boys today...the result of their efforts is a totally clean home, they even mopped the kitchen floor. Cooking Thai chicken curry for dinner and then off with the boys to the symphony.
                              Nancy... what I forgot to add before was to wish you a safe journey. glad you're home. what nice homecoming. still a busy day for you. do you ever rest???? what will you hear?

Marathon Maniac #3309

Hey Tampster, thank YOU....glad you got a few miles in...didn't ya feel better doing so...hugs Where have you all been, hiding from me. I like to never logged in here today. Normally I am always logged in, but today I had to give my password which didn't work. Took like forever to finally get on...prolly a practical joke you guys are play'n on me...goof balls. I got a very good long workout done at the Y today....2 hours pool running, 3000 yards swimming, then a very quick upper and lower body weight workout with core work...3.5 hours total, Whew OK, my minor surgery was to repair the huge blood vein on the back of my leg that I mentioned the other day. The vein was leaking blood into my foot and leg, and why I had to have it drained a few times....ouch. geez, there is so much still to say, but my keyboard is funking up on me. i can't use caps anymore...ok, i cant hardly type anymore. i will finish this mon at work..i lost the use of some letters too...i have to get a new keyboard when this happens...holly knows about my keyboard issues. for now, lets just say I am done running for atleast 6 more weeks, and I didn't have a torn or ruptured AT....caps are working again?? But Jeff, my new foot doctor, understood why my other doctor thought so. Jeff had me stand on a step on my toes, and asked me to lift my heels up for as long as possible. I did it for a very long time, and he said...you did not rupture your AT...good news to me....this was after looking at my MRI. And my left foot turning inward, he said that was a habit I developed trying to walk without pain. He gave me brace for that, and told me to try and walk normal again. He gave me some suggestions and told me to keep doing what I am doing and I will get better. But said I really really torched my AT more than he has seen before. He also said this did NOT happen by stepping in a pothole, but rather running through a lot of pain, when I knew better...sorry, but he was right. My last 20 plus mile run hurt so bad I had tears in my eyes most of the way...but was sooo motivated to succeed and do well. My good Doc said "hey, don't beat yourself up, most serious runners do the same thing atleast once" He said he tried to run through PF and did not heed the warning pains...he was off running for 3 monthes. ok, caps gone again, and my keyboard is toast....have to stop. when i get on a roll... i talk a lot, huh lol sorry tet, but he said no barefoot walking, as that stretches and hurts me at big time. luv you all!!! timmi

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!