Masters Running

March Monday the 9th (Read 35 times)

lamerunner

Good morning.  I did not run today, but the thread needs to be started.  Finally getting warmer here, or it will this afternoon.  Might have to sneak in a hike one day.

Busy weekend at the ski races.  DS raced both days in the Eastern HS Championships at Cannon Mtn. The top 10 or 12 HS male and female skiiers from all the HS programs in the East ( from Maine down through Virginia) and  for some reason , Wisconsin, go to this race.  Pretty fun event with both individual and team competition. DS had one spectacular run each day, and one troubled one, but he ended up 11th our of 105 in the GS and 8th in the slalom.  the NH team was really hoping to win, and get the cowbell prizes, but VT beat them out by  small amount.  DS struggled to find his rhythm the first run yesterday, but he nailed it the second run and had the second fastest time.

As for running, I ran about 8.5 on a nicely groomed but windy/hilly bike path  through Franconia Notch before the boys race started.  It was great for the first 5 miles or so before the snowmachines came out and chewed things up.  Unlike many rail trails which are flat and straight, this bike path is old, windy and hilly, so you really have to keep your eyes open!

Saturday, I ran about 6 before scurrying off to work a race at Wildcat.  We hosted the U 12 state championship ski races this year.  I worked on Saturday, and DH on Sunday.

Great running around here.  I will try to get to the masters party. I plan to volunteer at Boston again this year.

Tramps

Lamerunner—that sounds nice, despite the snowmachines.  And some impressive skiing!

Oops. Missed the fact that it was Marj’s birthday, too.  Belated happy birthday!

Jlynne--The story of changing the time

Stumpy—it’s just a shirt.  Go for it.

Norm—sorry to hear of your grandmother’s passing and your mother’s accident.

Holly—I don’t know anything about it, but Leslie’s “don’t mess with a bone graft” seems like wise advice.

Leslie—wow, that photo sequence was quite dramatic.  Ouch.

I’m the cleaner in our house.  Sign me up for the magic wand.   We’re pretty lax on this stuff.  Not in a health-department-threatening-to-intervene sort of way, just a we’ve-got-better-things-to-do-with-our-time kind of way.  If my mother were alive to visit, she’d be appalled, though.

Massive melting yesterday and we could hit 60 today.  Go figure.  Out for an easy 6 this morning.

Be safe. Be kind.

King of PhotoShop

Not much going on here. Hudson's off for spring break and we're just doing family time.

Still raining.

Ran 3 slow with the Saint at the Park.   Spareribs

mrrun

lame - skiing sounds great

((norm)) - lurking is fine at this time

ribs - family time is good

tramps - 60 would be awesome; some rumors of 50 this week, but.....

still on my high from the w/e - except ran 10 yesterday and went off to yoga today.  no one else in the class showed up, so I had a solo class which is good and bad. good cause she worked on all my aches and bad because i couldn't hide!

but we're off for low-key walking today to burn off all the extra food we ate over the w/e

quoting jay " have a greta day"

I’m the cleaner in our house.  Sign me up for the magic wand.   We’re pretty lax on this stuff.  Not in a health-department-threatening-to-intervene sort of way, just a we’ve-got-better-things-to-do-with-our-time kind of way.  If my mother were alive to visit, she’d be appalled, though.

Tramps!  So happy to find a twin in this regard!!   My mother, too, would be appalled, but oh well.  Shorty's turned into quite the cleaner over the past couple of years.  And since it bugs him more than it does me, more power to him.  Although I must say I'm the messier one.  It's just us, we don't ever entertain, so what's the big deal?  I pick things up when it starts to bug me . . . or when he gets irritated enough to start making small comments.  His two biggest issues are my dresser and a small basket at the foot of the bed on my side.  I, on the other hand, am the one who can't stand dishes being left in the sink, etc.  Waking up to dirty dishes just ruins my day.

C-R - Very sorry to hear about your mom.  Was it a fairly easy fracture to fix (I realize "easy" is relative).  When my MIL fell last year and fractured hers, the docs said it was the best way it could've happened.

Today was about 50 min of core/ST.  I've been incorporating some exercises I've found through the Cross Fit Endurance program.  Oof!  Burpees may be the death of me.

And that's about it, folks.  Have a great week ~

Leslie
            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Hollly and marj, belated Happy Birthday.  deez, I hope you can get some resolution and healing with your heel issues, and soon.  C-R, thinking of you with your rough spell.  lame, good job by your son in his ski races.

On the cleaning issue.  I've always wanted furniture to be parallel or perpendicular to walls as well as stuff on bookcases, etc.  However, I've never been bothered by dust on furniture.  The exception was, when I was single and some of my friends would visit with their little kids.  The little guys would sometimes draw in the dust on the furniture and that prompted me to dust.  When we got married, I discovered my wife wasn't bothered by furniture placed haphazardly but didn't like dust.  We coexisted in spite of it for several years and our second kid was born.  We decided that time with the kids was more important than cleaning and hired a maid service to come in once a week.  We felt the money was well spent and have continued with the maid service ever since.  We can't always afford groceries but we don't have to clean.

Nice long runs (and race walks) for Mike mari, Jay, C-R, fatozzig, and marj.

This morning, it was in the mid 20s and there was a light wind.  I did 5 miles.  When I stopped, I glanced at my GPS and think I saw a pace of 11:30 something.  When I tried to recall the details for my log, the only run that showed up on my GPS was the one from Sat, but with today's date.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Tramps and Fatozzig..... I am sooooo with you on the cleaning thing.  My mother was no neat freak, but she'd likely be pretty appalled at the fine layer of dust and cat hair everywhere.  I've been know to invite guests just to give myself motivation to get the place spiffed up.  Our biggest problem is clutter... and while I know it'll never get to the "horder" stage, I can understand somewhat how that can happen.  The biggest boost to keeping the kitchen clean is my old white Corion counter top..... you can see every speck!  Not sure why I never hired help... we can afford it, but as I get closer to retirement I find it harder to justify.

Originally planned to run just before work out of the gym here, but was feeling draggy due to the time change (that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it)  Double checked the day's schedule just before going out.... and drat, 8 am meeting.  Ironically, it was a meeting for those in my global work group who plan to run the Chicago marathon, the day before our big conference opens up there.  The lottery opens tomorrow and we wanted to start discussing logistics.

Got in a nice sunny 5.4 miles at lunch.  First above freezing run in around 2 months.

.....Nancy The road to hell is paved....... run trails!

However, I've never been bothered by dust on furniture.

The dust doesn't really bother me, either, although I'm sure it's part of the allergy problem.  Unfortunately for us, we have a big ole slider in our great room (which is the living room, dining room, and kitchen all in one), and later in the day, the sun shines right through it and really lights up the whole "you haven't dusted in awhile" issue, especially on the table that our TV is on. Looking at it will bring about bouts embarrassed with myself and I dust it.   And it never ceases to amaze me how much crap 5 cats can drag in.

Years ago we had someone come in once a week and clean.  Oh my, but I was in heaven!

Speaking of housecleaning and all that jazz - I'm looking for recommendations for a good blender, one that won't break the bank.  My friends suggested a Ninja, but holy cow!  Those things are $150, and that just ain't gonna happen.

Leslie
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Marathon Maniac #957

If only my DH realized, the best birthday gift I could get would probably be maid service....

I hate dust and untidiness, but just don't have the time and energy to keep up with the housework beyond bearable status.  The kitchen gets most of my efforts.  I told my MIL yesterday that if I took all the time I expend with cooking meals and cleaning up after them on the weekend, and instead devoted that time to cleaning the house, my house would be so much cleaner.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

mrrun

we have cleaners come in every other week.  one bday present was having them come an extra week so I had minimal cleaning before  &  after the party!.  It's also an enforced way of removing clutter and old magazines

TammyinGP

One nice thing about having a small house is that it doesn't take long to clean. and it helps having a very tidy husband also. Our last couple mornings have been bright sun (compared to the usual foggy mornings) and as much as i love the morning sun shining into the living room, it does show me just how awful the windows got over the winter.

Leslie, I'll look at my make/model of blender tonight. We replaced an old one about a year ago and I shopped around a bit, read reviews, etc. We are real happy with ours and it wasn't a costly one either. Like you, my max on a blender was right around $50, since I pretty much only use it for smoothie making. I didn't need something with industrial-like power, like a vitamix or ninja.

Will run 6 tonight after I get off work. So nice that I can get in longer runs now after I get off work with more daylight.

Tammy

Sayhey! MM#130

Hiya!

Had to stop by and note that Carolyn does the BEST b-day greetings, yowie!  And oh yeah, I would've done what she did, if I had snow, yeah, that's right, I thought of that, but just not possible.  Yeah, that's the ticket.  And happy late greetings to two of the most charming ladies here, Holly and marj.

Glad to read you are ok and still feisty, holly.  I bet you could speed walk some runs before that marathon...if one foot is always on the ground, there's less jostling.  See what the dentist says about that?

Oh, and on the blender question, my mom bought a blender right after she had me because the doc told her to be sure I had an egg an day.  It was an Osterizer.  One speed, shiny silver base, thick glass, no handle, hard black plastic lid.  I got it when I set up house and it finally bit the blender dust when I was in my forties.  So I don't know if Oster still has the same production values, but once upon a time, it was pretty decent.

So why don't we turn the clocks ahead at around 11 am Monday?  <<yawn>>

Robin, I think I resemble that "granny-stepping" remark.

Due to a slight leg issue (I think since the ankle healed, things are just realigning all along the way.  Or something.), I can run but just not fast.  So I sort of jog/walk during the week and race slow on the weekends.    It's interesting, so far.

Oh, and on the cleaning topic, I used to beat myself up as my mom was totally Mrs. Clean.  (I like to go to sleep to "white noise" b/c she worked 9-5 so vacuumed  night after I went to sleep.  Most every night.  Then one day when she was visiting me when I was in my own home, I came home from work to find her scrubbing down the stove.  With a toothbrush.  It was liberating, as I just gave up trying to attain her standards.

C-R, thinking of you.  Hope mom recovers strong.

grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

fatozzig take a look at the reviews at http://www.consumersearch.com/blenders.  Consumer Search is often my go to place when buying appliances.  They basically aggregate reviews from various sources and come up with an overall assessment.

I had planned to run 19 miles yesterday.  But got chased by a pack of 4 dogs, ended up falling and scraping my palm and had to pack it in.  My palm is still a mess.  But, good enough to go running; seeing as how you do not run on your hands in the normal course of things!  Which means I did manage to get in my 19 miles today.  My DW was impressed as I made it out the door before 5am!  But I wanted to be back by around 8am and an early departure is the only way to do it!

By the way, did I mention that the best way to make sure you have a full complement of night time running gear is to join a relay team?  No!  Well, it is.  Plus, I have just the team for you!  The Rosie Ruiz Relay team for this September's Reach the Beach Relay in New Hampshire!!  We still have a half dozen unclaimed spots!  Get yours today!  How you ask?  Just send me a note via RA or Facebook or whatever and I will be happy to get you started!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Thanks for web site, 2K.  That'll definitely come in handy.

Vitamix 5200 - $484.00 . . .

Tammy - That's all we'd using the blender for, as well, since we don't drink and won't be making any blended sassy drinks.    Well, that and the occasional milkshake.  In that regard, have I ever introduced you all to the "shake in a bowl"?  Add your favorite ice cream and additions, pour in a small amount of milk and mix together.  Just like a thick shake without the added mess of a blender.  If you absolutely have to have your milkshake in a glass, then by all means, dump it in one.

And 2K - Sorry about the dog attack.  Hope it's not your dominant hand.   But what a way to get an adrenaline, rush, eh??

Leslie
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

New skirt in town

We bit the bullet and hired house cleaners a few years ago. We just couldn't keep up, and it was such a source of angst. Now, like Marj, we are prompted to de clutter and then let the cleaners have at it. Best splurge EVAH!

I walked to the gym today (without slipping on ice!) and spent 1 hr 20 min on the elliptical. Tomorrow I'll run!!

--RT

NO  MO MELANOMA! Help me run 26.2 miles and raise $5000 for the Melanoma Foundation of NE.  Visit this page to learn more:  http://tinyurl.com/NO-MO-MELANOMA