Masters Running

Wednesday, drippy 22 (Read 35 times)

mrrun

Twocat is right - do not run in the rain!  I hope coastal NH is still dry, because Boston isn't.  I went out in a mild drizzle in the 50's which was fine, until the drizzle became a downpour - less than 2 miles in 5K pace.  only ducks would have enjoyed the nor'easter we're getting

Holly - enjoy Mexico - you can always run!

everyone - have a great day,

marj

Marathon Maniac #957

Good morning folks.  We are heading out soon for our Mayan ruins tour in a thunderstorm.  90-100% chance of thunderstorms every single day we are in Mexico, and it changes to 20% chance the day we leave.  I am trying to put a good face on it but honestly, I just want to cry.  We will likely never be able to afford this again and I wanted it to be a dream family vacation.  (sigh)  Every single day?  Really?

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

Marj, coastal NH is engulfed (remember Engulf & Devour?) in intermittent rain squalls and whipping wind. It's gonna be an interesting couple 'a days around New England.

Holly, I'm so sorry that you are facing the prospect of so much rain in Mexico. But I know you'll regroup and make the best of what you've got, and still have a memorable (in a good way!) vacation with your family.

I had a wicked day yesterday, topped off with a 2-hour final race committee meeting before Saturday's race. Everything seems to be in pretty good shape, except for what the next 2 days of rain will do to the field in which we have most of the racers park. We've got 973 people registered as of this morning, so we'll easily top 1,000 (maybe 1,100?) by the time the gun goes off on Saturday morning.

I slept in this morning (didn't get up till 5:15!), and I really needed it more than I needed a workout.

Have a greta Wednesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Probably should have done what Jay did.

5.1 very uninspired miles that were supposed to be 8.    Between the tail end of my cold and a second helping of bacon cheeseburger mac and cheese, (someone remind me that that is NOT a good idea, no matter how good it tastes) I struggled around the lake.  At least the rain didn't show up for me until the drive to work.  The local weather showed 3.3 inches expected in Portsmouth over the next day or so.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Dave59

The weather isn't bad here but I am taking a rest day.  Low 40's and overcast but better than rain.

AamosY - I am running a half marathon on Mackinac Island this Saturday. Cindy and I are going there for 2 nights for a mini get-a-way weekend.  If I am in Michigan in June I'll definitely make my way up to Charlevoix, but odds are I'll be living in WV by then. Burgler might be interested in the race if he hears others are coming.

Slo

Good morning folks.  We are heading out soon for our Mayan ruins tour in a thunderstorm.  90-100% chance of thunderstorms every single day we are in Mexico, and it changes to 20% chance the day we leave.  I am trying to put a good face on it but honestly, I just want to cry.  We will likely never be able to afford this again and I wanted it to be a dream family vacation.  (sigh)  Every single day?  Really?

Holly...I have faith that you will still make it a dream family vacation...damn the weather! Enjoy as much as you can and do something totally stupid that you guys will never forget ! (Just make sure the kids are sleeping)

Question: If you know its a meteor can you still wish on it like a falling star? Spotted 8 good ones this am.

5 miles, good fartlek kind of run.

King of PhotoShop

I wish I could trade your bad weather and take it myself, and you would have good weather instead Holly.  It's tough when you have the kids.  The Saint and I are going alone next week, so if it rained it wouldn't matter to us.  But I know how hard it is to entertain the kids when the weather is bad.  We used to go a lot to the Delaware shore and have an entire week of rain, so I know what that's like.

The Saint and I are switching up our speedwork this week as I have that race on Saturday against Rodgers and Shorter, just a two-miler but I want to be ready. So I did 4 x 800 by myself this morning, 4.9 total miles, and tomorrow I will accompany her to the track where she will do 6 x 800 meters and I'll just jog along.  More work to do today before I get out of here next week so I'm kinda busy.  Spareribs

So sorry to hear about your weather, Holly. I hope you can make the best of it!

No running for me today, either. I had a doctor's appointment for a regular checkup. OK, but he is sending me for an echocardiogram since my chronic slight murmur sounded a bit different to him today. That, plus the usual blood-work, of course.

Looks like the weather is clearing out after a few dreary days, so looks like near IRC right through the weekend. I'll be out there a couple of time at least.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Good Morning ~

Holly - That sucks about the weather.  If I could take it from you, I would.

Jay - Sounds like you needed the sleep.

Stationary bike ride this a.m. with 6 x 1 min hard intervals and 1-2 min recoveries in between.  My last interval lacked the vigor of the first.  I was sweating buckets by the time I was done, and my legs are refreshingly pooped.

Okay - Off to work on an estate accounting.  I suck at accounting, so it's a lesson in mental endurance, as well as patience.

Leslie
                    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Sayhey! MM#130

hiya All!

Jay.  Wow, race directoring is tough!  Hope the rain lets up so the cars aren't in the soup.

Holly, y'know, if it was sunny all the time, y'all might have gotten horrific sunburns and be shut inside and in pain by now.  Besides, you ARE making memories with the family.  I bet you'll be hearing the kids recalling "the time we went to Mexico and it rained everyday!" for years.    Now, if you can play the role of corny '50s mom, you could REALLY give 'em something for the all time-all time memoirs.  Think of every corny game you can, e.g., shadow hand puppets, A-Z memory games, charades.....and try and get enthusiasm going for them.  When they're in their 20s, they'll be teasing you about it, giggling all the while. 

And if not, and you are down, think about having something to look forward to--like Charlevoix in June, perhaps?

Kevin, you're a mensch.    At least you were out there.  Thinking of you this am as my garmin is not happy interacting with the computer any longer.  Hmpf!  Such  fusspotty llittle shiksas these watches are!

Did you have a hat along, marj?  I hate to get caught in the rain without one as my glasses are a problem.  Can't see.  ....sorta like the other evening when I went out and forgot how soon and quickly the sun sets and wore my sunglasses as it was very glarey out at the time.        Hi to henrun!

O boy Steve, if  we make Charlevoix happen, I will treat you  to that shirt so you don't have to park but instead will have time to go for a run with me 'n Tag, deal?  Dave, drag thy heels so you can be around!  Yes, let's do it, Roch, and Burger and TomS....how about the midwesterners---Starr (thanks for the link-skyboy DH, who has the skylab folks send him notes when they're going to pass overhead so we can troop out and watch--will also want to send his thanks), Jlynne, Mike, Slo--who else, anyone know if DaveinAA is indeed still in Ann Arbor {physicsboy, remember him?}  Michigan in June should be gorgeous!

Here's the link: http://charlevoixmarathon.com/  --> did you see the beautiful water view?

****whee, and Dave, sweet trip to Mackinac, are you staying at the big white inn with all the rocking chairs on the veranda?  Have fun!****

O boy, feeling your pain, Leslie.  Hang in.

And while you needn't hear it from me, I know, we are over the hump!

grins,

A

Fortunately our Sppedsters leader is wise and had us just do mile repeats last night.  And I kept my 8 at a very easy lope this am.  Just t-t-t-t-tapering along here.        No marathons until November 9th, too.  Just a couple of halves (halfs?) half marathons and a 15K between now and then, and a fun 5K on the evening of Veteran's Day with DH, the real Vet.

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Aamos, June in that part of Michigan is indeed the best time of the year -- usually sunny and beautiful while still cooler than what's coming in July and August. My DW and I were probably going to go up there for some sort of getaway anyhow, probably staying in Petoskey a few miles up the shoreline. Who known, might dg9 also make an appearance? And breger really doesn't have an excuse since this is essentially local for him. I just wonder how soon we'd have to commit; I don't think this is a super-quick sellout like Traverse City, but it is still probably very popular.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Mariposai

Posie hugs to my fellow race director, Jay. Hang in ther my friend.

Look at Stumpy go.

Holly, enjoy Mexico, rain or not.

Dave59 enjoy your get-away and your race. You will do great.

Where is Icom, our new member?

A Michigan race and get together will be great, but my traveling budget  and vacation days are already committed for next year.

Not much to report here, except that I emptied my closet to down size  it's content and  to switch seasonal clothing. Where did summer go?

Today is the Easy Pacer's birthday. I made a yummie huckleberry pie for him, which he prefers over cake. Out to dinner tonight and then a Skype date with our sons.

No running, I am tapering for my little race this weekend. 

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

mrrun

Happy Birthday to Easy Pacer!

Aamos - Not only did I have a hat, I had pockets for my glasses - made no difference

my best rememberance of traverse city was their cherry ice cream!  that's where henrun and I met on a bike ride that included charleoix, petoskey and mackinac island.  mustang sally is in michigan also right now I think.  however, in late May we'll probably be in eastern europe which makes Michigan in June not happening.

[[[[fatozzig]]]

..still sick

I feel like I was always sick

I feel like I will always be sick

and if the weather got better, I would be sick in Better Weather

I have been soooooooo sick I am actually soaking the NEIGHBORS' toothbrushes overnite in Listerene

......good running guys.............oh, did I mention I was sick??

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Sheesh Holly, if the beach permits, put on your swimming suit and tell the kids, “it’ll be wet anyway and, at least, the water ‘n’ rain’re both warm so might as well go swimming.”  Do it by yourself if you have to. I dare you or I’ll come down there and do it for you!  What would erika do?  I'd rather be in the warm rain down there than the cold rain up here. Wanna trade?

ps - rainiest day in almost a year here in Seattle or we'd trade you too.

posie -  "feliz cumpleaños" to the speedy racer.

Chestnuts on the ground had GS wondering about  "all the sea urchins."

. maxresdefault.jpg

ETA tom - flu? why don't you take a vacation

somewhere warm? . . . . .Mexico?

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)