Masters Running

Saturday May 2 Runs and Chuckles (Read 390 times)

I just finished reading yesterday's thread -- the highlights for me were the evanflein soccer report (well done, boys -- I was a defender and there no feeling like making the job easy for your goalie), and the econo/twocat dinner report -- mmm, clams. Econo is one of my favorite people so I know this must have been a fun dinner. One of these days, I hope to meet twocat as well. MTA: oh, oh forgot about the puppy picture -- that was definitely a highlight, too! I can't keep all this in my head when I'm posting... Today we ran in a nature preserve, somewhere near the midwest (I'm pretty sure we're between New Jersey and California, anyway), which was really nice given we are in an airport hotel. It was a surprise and great bonus that the nature preserve is right across the street! 4.1 miles, 34:31, 8:30/mi, AHR 152 (78% MHR) Most of the run was on a dirt road, but the trail to get to the road was a steep hill with several sets of stairs. I tried to turn around in the road at pace -- I do this because I don't like the slowdown in my pace graphs (yes, OCD) -- but of course the gravelly road didn't hold much traction and I went down. Just scraped up my leg a bit, and my pride. And now my pace graph is all messed up, too :^)

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

39k in just under 3 hours - Last long long run before the Ottawa Marathon. Man was it windy today...everywhere, in almost all directions. Liz and swore a lot today..wowzer. Felt so-so early and then for the last 4k I felt great...going 4 minute pace to 4:10...feeling strong. Now for brunch somewhere with the girls. Famished. Tall

Recent Best times: None recently

It was neat reading about the Econo/TwoCat dinner. nono, sorry to hear you've got a sick husband. I hope it doesn't last long. evan, congrats to your sons on their great soccer match together. hopeful, nice progression run. SLO, it sounds like you had a nice 5K, fast (high OA and AG placing), friends, niece's first race and sister in law's 2nd. Congrats to all. Nice long runs for srlopez, Franc, CNY, breger (with fast miles at end), Peter (with hills), and buehrle. Good job on the speedwork for ribs and Tall. This morning, it was about 40° and with a little wind. I got in 12 miles in about 2:00:30 for a 10:02 pace. A good day and good runs for all. TomS
          5-plus miles in the aforementioned nature preserve. What a treat to stumble on such a nice spot for a sunny spring run! As an extra bonus, it was very flat. Which almost never happens to us. Family wedding this afternoon, and then back home tomorrow. This is our third weekend either out of town or with family houseguests. Finally, next weekend I should be able to get some stuff done around the house and yard. This is such a busy time of year for everyone - especially runners, with so many races going on. Good luck to anyone with special events this weekend. Oh yeah, and the Vanflein boys are awesome!!

aka Mrs. WillRunForBeer, MD, USA

Marathoning, the triumph of desire over reason

Erika -- so cool about your boys!! Holly -- enjoy the Flying Pig!! Bill -- you are so ready to rock your race!! Mary -- love the puppy pics!! Karin - i'm hoping for date night with my Mr. tonight too!! no run for me since wed ---Shocked had a great swim workout thursday then work just kicked my butt the last 2 nights - did a 7p-11am 16 hour shift thursday into friday morning, slept in a call room from about noon-6ish then back to work 7p-7a-- it's been crazy busy - so now having my coffee and hoping to get in an easy run this afternoon then a more decent run tomorrow before going back to work again for sunday and monday nights.

denise

King of PhotoShop

SLO, there is a bit of unevenness between that first and second mile that you can work on before your next race, but overall 6:49's is a darned decent pace. I agree you should be in the 20 area however. You are a fine athlete. You need more longer runs at tempo or more work in the 7:10-7:15 range. But that shouldn't take away from your fine performance. Somehow I recollect you had a race a short time ago that wasn't this fast but I seem to recall that either the course or conditions were unfavorable? Wind, rain or hills? I forget. But congrats on the fine effort. Spareribs
              Slo

Your correct Ribs. My last two races were in strong winds, those were run right at 7:0X pace. I was expecting a much better performance today. Mile 2 was at a 7:00 pace if the person calling the split times was correct. I know you can't always depend on them to be accurate. As a side note: Many athletes share an attribute......superstition......since I did poorly wearing my garmin in the last two races I chose not to wear it today....or a stopwatch for that matter.....LOL Next race I'll wear a stop watch. I even made sure the shorts and shirt were different. Hmmmmm maybe a bad combo. Nike shorts and a champion shirt...probably bad mojo.....????? Anyway....back to mile two. My goal was to run a 6:45 - 6:55 1st mile, I knew I was fast and possibly dropped the pace too much....or not enough for mile 2 ???? The competition around me didn't change but for the most part we were pretty spreadout so there wasn't much asshole and elbow changing going on anyway. Mile 3 felt good and while I didn't quite find the razors edge suspect I ran the last 800 at a 6:30 or so. I agree that more tempo work is needed in my regime......I used to love doing 20 min tempo's but I haven't logged any for quite some time. I have a 5k coming up in June that I need a good showing for. It's in the town I went to High School in.....Gotta show 'em who the jock is now !

Hill Runner

Hi Peter, we are headed your way in the middle of May. We have to take lilmissrosie to the Charlotte airport, she has an 0600 flight to Guatemala. Any hotel suggestions for the night before?
                  Rosie?...Is that your new forum name? I don't have any suggestions but if you give me an address, I can tell you what kind of neighborhood it's in....Let me know your schedule, it would be fun to meet up with you and Ralph when you are in town. CLT is an easy airport to get around in....

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
                  Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
                  Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

Rosie?...Is that your new forum name? I don't have any suggestions but if you give me an address, I can tell you what kind of neighborhood it's in....Let me know your schedule, it would be fun to meet up with you and Ralph when you are in town. CLT is an easy airport to get around in....
                    Thanks Peter! I will PM you later. Yes, it'd be cool to meet you, too. See you mid-May!

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

Erika - Very cool about your boys! Big grin Thanks for pulling that up on today's thread, Holly. 8 trail miles this a.m. in a light to medium drizzle/rain. Completed in 1:41:34 for a 12:42 ap. Last trail run before my event next weekend. Hoping to complete the 30k in 4:50 or less (knock on wood, all fingers and toes crossed). We're suppose to go to dinner and Arts Alive! with some friends tonight, but the weather isn't conducive to walking around downtown. Probably will end up with dinner out and back to the house for margaritas and some cards. Sounds like more fun to me, anyway - - and cheaper and safer. Have a great weekend ~

Leslie
                      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

EGH3 building back up slowly is tough but the right thing to do. I started under two miles and it seemed to take me forever to get back to HM distance the last time I had to take three months off! But in the end it worked out just like it was supposed to. This time with 5+ months off I may have to start by seeing if I can run 100 yards! Wink SLO_HAND went to a race let alone a run without your Garmin?! [Editor Quick, somebody get a doctor! Twocat either passed out or had a heart attack!]

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

[rant on] Over the past couple of days I have spent close to five hours transcribing some Sheriff's Department interviews. I am so very, very, very tired of hearing "you know," "you know what I mean," and "like" every, like, you know, like three or four, like, you know, words, like, you know what I mean? Good grief! Who taught these young people English?!? It's astounding! Shocked [rant off] Okay then . . .

Leslie
                          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

wildchild

Carolyn

SloHand, congrats on the 3rd place finish in your AG! Erika, great story about your dynamic soccer duo. I've heard you complain about them before but it's nice that they can make you proud, too! I took Tazzie and Ladybug out for a hilly 6 miler this morning, in between dropping DD off for her SAT test and picking her up afterward. The weather was 48° and couldn't make up its mind if it wanted to be foggy or hazily sunny. At least I got out before it started raining. This is the first rain we've seen since about last September - all the precipitation since then has been snow. Yay - it must finally be spring! (Although we could get snow overnight - grrr)

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Mariposai

Back home after a little outing in the wild woods. The snow covered mountain peaks were sublime; the wildflowers like in the Sound of Music; running up and down the mountains made me feel like a mountain goat.... The ascents were mean and the descents were worse. 21.7 of trail racing plus some w/u and c/d made for a nice 23 miler. I took a lot of pictures. I will share them later. I can't wait to hear how MaEcono did.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

wildchild

Carolyn

Wow, nice long trail run Mari! I'll bet your wings are tired... Just wanted to wish Holly good luck at theFlying Pig half marathon tomorrow. Someone in the main part of the forum joked that you'll have to watch out for SWINE FLEW at that race! Big grin

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.