Masters Running

Wed Oct 22 Runs and Workouts (Read 535 times)

Great photo Lou, Ribs looks pretty good for an old curmudgeon don't you think? You and your DW look pretty good too!
    maine, PDR looks even cuter in person. As for Lou, I don't know how he attracts all the wimmen we constantly see him photographed with. Maybe it's the refrigerators. Dark Horse
    I'm a dark horse, running on a dark race course.
      maine, PDR looks even cuter in person. As for Lou, I don't know how he attracts all the wimmen we constantly see him photographed with. Maybe it's the refrigerators. Dark Horse
      I'm willing to bet it's what's in the refrigerators! Wink

Marathon Maniac #957

I think there may be 12-step programs for that kind of refrigerator-overuse.... Lord, I am powerless over my refrigerators and my electric bill has become unmanageable....... Big grin

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Marathon Maniac #3309

Hey Twocat....don't fret yet over an extended forecast. Yesterday, my Marathon extended forecast was around 40 and raining...now it says 40 degrees and sunny with a high of 56....that would be wonderful Smile Don't think too much about the weather yet. Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Top 'O the World!

I think there may be 12-step programs for that kind of refrigerator-overuse.... Lord, I am powerless over my refrigerators and my electric bill has become unmanageable....... Big grin
            ah, I have an excuse. two houses & the shop....
            Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
            Teresadfp

One day at a time

LOL! We have a second fridge in the basement, mainly to store all the MILK I have to buy with two teenaged boys in the house! I buy 4 gallons at at time, and they don't last long. I hear, "MOOMMMM, we're out of milk again!" I guess I'll start buying more, but my grocery cart is already overflowing by the time I get to the register! I get funny looks from people sometime. Rest day for me today. Good timing, with the rainy weather. I'm running a 5k on Saturday, and the forecast looks good for it - sunny and a high in the 50s.
                Tim - your marathon is 10 days away and you are already looking at the weather?? (everyone does this!) As if it's not going to change before then. Good luck Mary. {{{lopez family}} Steve. that. was. funny. Curious to know what the Beer's electric bill is. The cool fresh air was tempting me this morning but I am being good and resting. I am reading Matt Fitzgerald's Brain Training for Runners. My TPL (target pace level) is 45 (on a scale of 1 to 50) (these are similar to vdot scales, but different numbers, and higher means slower) He says in the book "Over the course of a 16 to 24 week training cycle you can expect to lower your TPL number 4 to 6 times." That would mean I could lower my TPL 8 to 12 times over a year. Not. Likely. I need a TPL of about 41 to be able to run a BQ marathon (or equivalent performance in a shorter race). That is only 4 TPL's lower than 45. If I can do that in half a year, I can probably jump over tall buildings too. I've only moved 3 TPL's in two years.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

happy lunch hour to the east coasters. Out for an unusual Wednesday run as I try to catch up a little on the runs missed earlier in the month. 3.2 in 28:28 (just for symmetry) a lovely drizzly 44 degrees, so back to shorts. a little chilly for most of the way, but still felt good at the end. Teresa--what race are you running on Saturday? Yarmouth? I'll be up to close the camp but there's probably not too much chance of making it over there. Lou--I've heard an ad from Sam Adams that made me think of you. they're having a home brew contest with the winner to be served at Gillette stadium (Next season, I think) http://www.samueladams.com/promotions/PatriotHomeBrew/LogIn.aspx Kevin

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

DickyG

OK...whose running NYC? I sort of lost track...Aamos, Twocat, Maine...who else? Carolyn: Congrats on your good colonoscopy results..I've had a few of them..I think the day before the procedure is one of the most unpleasant days to go through. Twocat: Congrats on your great race...you'll find that as you age, those medals are easier to come by. But you're still in a tough group...way to go. Erika:
                    What sort of emergency does a podiatrist have??
                    Probably golf.... Enke:
                    Fluorescent orange, yellow and red maple leaves contrasting with the ones still green.
                    Want to see more leaves than you can possibly imagine? Come on over to my house...and bring a rake. SteveP:
                    My right hand clung to my heart and the left arm was flailing around wildly...."I'm coming Elizabeth!"..."This is the big one!".
                    Cracked me up... Lou: What a fabulous pic! Very special...bet you guys had a great time talking about all of us behind our backs. Mary: All our best wishes... Did a progression run this morning...and, as usual, messed up on the second mile...I do it every time... 9:08 9:14 9:01 8:38 36:01 (9:00) I'll probably run a few easy miles tomorrow then rest Friday...Saturday I'm kickin' somebody's butt in our 10K race (not mentioning any names). DickyG

Marathon Maniac #3309

My TPL (target pace level) is 45 (on a scale of 1 to 50) (these are similar to vdot scales, but different numbers, and higher means slower) He says in the book "Over the course of a 16 to 24 week training cycle you can expect to lower your TPL number 4 to 6 times." That would mean I could lower my TPL 8 to 12 times over a year. Not. Likely. I need a TPL of about 41 to be able to run a BQ marathon (or equivalent performance in a shorter race). That is only 4 TPL's lower than 45. If I can do that in half a year, I can probably jump over tall buildings too. I've only moved 3 TPL's in two years.
                      HUH Confused Big grin

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Kevin - Yep, the Yarmouth Pumpkin Run. It starts at the high school - looks like a nice route. I've run some of it before. DS has his regional XC meet at Twin Brook in Cumberland the same day at 12:20, so it will be a day of running for me. DD10 is going to run the race, too. I wish you could make it!
                        Mariposai

5 in 45. Great feeling. Now I am confused...what the Beers told last night on the phone was that they did not know what to do with SR since he was tasting one beer from each fridge they had in their home, first he hit the fridge clockwise, they said, and then counterclockwise. I did not know they had 8 fridges in their house...you do the sum how many beers he drank last night. I hope you are having fun with your hangover tenderRibs. Off to the beauty shop to beautify myself for tonight.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

xor

I wish I was sneaking into people's houses tasting various beers.

evanflein

OK...whose running NYC? I sort of lost track...Aamos, Twocat, Maine...who else?
                              I am! Or, at least, I'm going to NYC with the intention of running a marathon... we'll see what happens.
                              Erika: Probably golf....
                              Ha, not likely with 6" of snow on the ground! I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt and patiently (ha!) waiting for a cancellation so I can move up on the schedule. So now I need to confess that I have three freezers... Why does an Alaskan have three freezers, you ask? Well... we freeze a lot of fish, I guess. One is packed full of halibut and salmon, one is full of day-to-day stuff and one is full of all sorts of crap that probably needs to be thrown out. Along with the freezer... it's days are numbered. Mariposai, you will be stunning tonight. Wish we could be there. I'm so tempted to try a short run tonight...

Marathon Maniac #957

Off to the beauty shop to beautify myself for tonight.
                                Well, THAT won't take long....... Smile Have a great time tonight, Mariposai. I know you'll knock 'em dead.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."