Masters Running

FRIDAY Nov. 14 Runs - anybody? (Read 730 times)

Here in the Master's forum we have the...MARATHON TO COUCH PLAN!!!
    Hey, I hope to get that entire plan done tomorrow! (Minus the injury.)
    Good luck this weekend Tramps, and you too, Tammy! What's your goal? (yes, both of you!)
    Good question. My PR is 3:47. I'm in better condition now and if it were normal weather I'd be targeting a 3:35. But with rain, warm temps (for me), and especially wind--which is being described in various forecasts as "gusty," "breezy" and "strong"--who knows? I'm still aiming to be sub-3:40 if possible, but I'll have to adjust based on the weather conditions. If I get Stevie-Ray-head-banging-winds, all bets are off! Wink Mariposai--great pics! Thanks for the good wishes, everyone. Smile No cursing, just fun! ETA--Good luck, Tammy!

Be safe. Be kind.

TammyinGP

Erika - I don't really have a goal for this race. Once upon a time, I thought I might be able to pull off a PR (1:54), but I haven't been running enough to do that. Plus, this course starts out for the first 2.5 miles on a chip bark path around the park and I think it's going to get bunched up in spots and slow people down. I don't believe this is a chip-timed race either. So, I am certainly not counting on a PR. I know quite a few people running in this, as well as a few running in the 5K and 10K part of it, so mainly it'll just be a fun race for me. a sub 2 hrs would be nice, but with the bunching up I anticipate at the beginning of the race, I am not sure that's possible either. ETA: Good Luck to Tramps!

Tammy

Marathon Maniac #957

Holly, I meant to ask how you are after your nonrest day?
        Well, er...I guess you could say that I'm "non-rested." Wink Tammy - don't you worry about those people bunching up at the beginning and getting in your way. You're going to have Econo with you, right? I've heard she's pretty good at clearing a path... Big grin

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

TammyinGP

good point Holly. I'll stick right behind Econo during that first part, until we hit the asphalt. Then I'm sure she'll lose me quick!

Tammy

Tammy, the chip wood itself can slow you down, as you lose some push off force. But I am sure you can beat two hours, didn't you already run the course in practice in 2 hours? Well, today I am virtually pain-free, just in time for my doctor's appointment. Big grin I think I can start cross-training tomorrow!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

lamerunner

Another non running report here in rainy NH. Only Day 4 but I think there will be a few more. I broke down and made an appt with an orthopedic doc to see about my back/sciatic. Now that I really canonot run and my lower back also hurts, more of a diagnosis may be in order. The PT thinks the problem is stemming from lower spine... Long Y workout at lunch. 1500 yd swim then 45 minutes on the Elliptical. Skipped the planks etc because I thought I had a meeting but it does not seem to have started. It is mild outside. Time for some snow. Happy non running to those afflicted! and good luck to the weekend racers.
                lyndenrunner m2c, need a better acronym. m2cp . . . Confused DickyG my job and work are pretty much independent of the economy. But thanks. Enjoy your rest day! tetsujin209 I am crushed! Crushed I tell you! Everybody gets to join you but biketm and . . . and . . . and me!!!!!! Cry Cry wildchild enjoy your rest day as well. Since I want to see a lot of snow in the Rockies I hope the weather does not get too nice! Cool <-- imagine="" smiley="" with="" ski="" gogels.=""></-->TammyinGP wow another rester for the day. Well I am feeling better about non-running today! Apparently it is some sort of official non-run day and I just missed the memo. Kinda like the opposite of long run day I guess. Wink Mariposai I must admit I am kinda hoping to fall short on this challenge. But, I am definitely not going to try anything until Monday. I swore I would give my legs at least two full weeks off and they are going to get it. Assuming I do not just go crazy adopt a second personality and that one then goes running . . . Big grin evanflein yea I know. Pool running is no substitute. Sigh. nonoruns good thinking taking the mile 21 mile $%#$# for Tramps. Right after the wall starts with a long way to go yet! Boy, are you a glutton for getting #@$@#$# at! Clowning around dg. hay anytime! BTW don't knock getting injured until you try it . . . err . . . well maybe not worth trying. enkephalin I hope it all feels good! I hear that if you increase your medical deductible that increases the chance that any malady will be gone by the time you can get in to see your doctor. There is still time . . . Big grin

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Tammy and Tramps - Good luck! DG - Happy to oblige with the whale story. Re the Australian dude - I probably would've come up with a world record trying to get back to shore. But then again, this is also one of the reasons I do not go in the ocean. No, no, no, no, no. Well, it's an absolutely beautiful day here on the North Coast! Couldn't have been like this yesterday when we needed to fly out. Figures. Blush DG - Here's another goody for ya: Death in the Afternoon, as every reader of good books knows, is a non-fiction book by Ernest Hemingway about the ceremony and traditions of Spanish bullfighting. Or is it? Maybe there's more to this book than meets the eye. Could this famous work be about something a little more infamous! We searched the term "Death in the Afternoon" on the world's most powerful search engine Google, and were shocked at what popped up before our surprised eyes. There in black and white, on the very first link to Wikipedia, the description read: "Death in the Afternoon is a non-fiction book by Ernest Hemingway about the ceremony and traditions of Spanish whores". Wow! Hemingway was actually writing about Spanish whores, not bulls?

Leslie
                  Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Henrun

I was planning to run in the rain today when I received news that a good friend of mine had passed away a couple of days ago. He lived a long good life (96) and was living on his own until Sept. when he entered an assisted living facility. He was the person who motivated my passion for the outdoors when he introduced me to hiking in the White Mountains of NH over 40 years ago. When I phoned Marj at work I broke down. She (despite my objections) returned home and out we went for a 6 mile run along the Charles. That was the 'therapy' I needed. Tomorrow morning we're going up to NH for Marj's 2 year old granddaughter's birthday. My friend's memorial service will be nearby in the afternoon. Yes, the circle of life goes on.
                      ((Henry)) so sorry to hear about the loss of your good friend - marj you are so wonderful!! me - not sure what's up with my mojo -- i felt great running tuesday, thought it would get me back on track then i worked a double shift wed and my back was hurting all last night at work ..........today should have hit the gym or run when i woke up this afternoon but no mojo --- it's dh's 49th b-day so we'll be going out to dinner, would have liked to burn some calories first, but nada!! i just better get over this and get my butt out the door tom. or i will not be fitting into my pants for my 30th class reunion in 2 weeks!!

denise

Wow! I didn't realize there was a 40/0 club going on here. I could have made it for the last 6 weeks in a row. A lot of good company in that group too. 3 easy 9 minute miles in the rain. I am a little suprised how my legs are so out of shape from 6 weeks of no running but I have no immediate goals so lots of time to ramp things back up. Thanks for making me feel like you missed me . I am just one of those people who when I am not able to run need to jump into something else to take my mind off it. My big basement project was my mental therapy this time. Talking about running when I can't participate is kind of like shopping with no cash. Some people can and some just can't. I did lurk in a few times though. Anyway , glad to be back on the roads and back on the boards. Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

henrun, sorry for your loss. Glad you and Marj got out along the Charles. Leslile, that's a hoot about Hemingway. And people quote Wikipedia like gospel! Tramps, at least you don't have our weather--that little weather box that appears on the training log page here on the website gives our weather as being 31 and feeling like 16 due to the gusty, cold winds. And I think you have it knocked--you are the rain! (Are you also the wind, or just at one with the wind Confused) Good luck and have fun! DH went north only to be turned around as the interstate from Rapid to Wyoming is closed. (Happy to report Pedey behaved, didn't backseat drive or issue a 'peep' pshew!) Hope teresa got to London in good shape and without delays. Tammy, have fun! I want to hang with the sprout eaters non-runners today, please! Gym day, and then more strength training trying not to go airborne walking back from the gym. Say, anyone have a good idea for a baby shower gift? Baby is here, a boy, and probably not a lot of things that are needed, so creativity is good. I was thinking of a little running type outfit (mom is a runner, and dad was one in high school) and putting in a Boston Marathon medal. Nothing like brain-washing them early! But let me know what are better ideas, please. grins, A
                          Masters 2000 miles
                            <say, anyone="" have="" a="" good="" idea="" for="" a="" baby="" shower="" gift?="" baby="" is="" here,="" a="" boy,="" and="" probably="" not="" a="" lot="" of="" things="" that="" are="" needed,="" so="" creativity="" is="" good.="" i="" was="" thinking="" of="" a="" little="" running="" type="" outfit="" (mom="" is="" a="" runner,="" and="" dad="" was="" one="" in="" high="" school)="" and="" putting="" in="" a="" boston="" marathon="" medal.="" nothing="" like="" brain-washing="" them="" early!="" but="" let="" me="" know="" what="" are="" better="" ideas,="" please.="" grins,=""></say,>
                            Amy - I usually give people the things that are needed most but necessarily given as gifts: diapers, diaper rash lotion, baby wash, baby wipes, baby thermometer, electric plug covers, if Mom is breastfeeding, then those pads for in the bras. Most of the these things are needed continuously, and the cost really adds up. Find a nice basket, etc., that can be used by Mom and Dad for baby stuff storage, and use that in lieu of a gift bag. I'm bored to death waiting to leave for the airport . . . . and my laptop kicked the bucket a little while ago. Undecided Don't have the patience at the moment to figure out what's going on. Henrun - (((hugs))) to you. And it sounds like your friend must've lived a really great life to be on his own until 96. Have fun with your granddaughter - a soul leaves us, but a soul comes to help alleviate the sorrow.

Leslie
                            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Talking about running when I can't participate is kind of like shopping with no cash. Some people can and some just can't.
                              This has got to be the QUOTE OF THE DAY. My doctor was 30 minutes behind schedule so she spent about 90 seconds examining me. No surprises there. She suggested continuing the mega dose Aleve for a whole nother week, even if the pain goes away. I am very excited that I can now tolerate about 15 minutes driving. This means I can go to the gym tomorrow and workout (walking, stairmill, bike). lamerunner - curious as to when the sciatica started and what you think is going on. And does it flare up just from running?

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Marathon Maniac #3309

Hi gang... Been a super - crazy - hectic day at work, so this is my first check in. Want to wish Tramps and our Dear and Lovely Tammy good races Cool. Looking forward to some good RR's and hopefully some pictures. (hey, anyone racing this weekend I am missing?) I see Twocat is still a day behind me, and is now waffling about "going the distance" Tongue Big grin. tet, you still have me to count on Buddie....and without the Tammy influence you have you lucky dawg I pulled a "Twocat" last night and jogged a few steps going to my apartment after work. Only a few steps, and my heel felt like someone stabbed it with a hot knife...I am off for the long haul I can see now Angry My new X rays looked better, but the foot doctor said my AT is the worst injury that I have now, and the heel spur is not an issue, and SF is looking good. I need to set some goal for myself, and to keep me sane. I thought about Masters swim races which would keep me in shape and off my foot, and would help with Triathlons if I choose to race them again. Oh well, just think'n. Amy, I guess the brussels sprouts didn't work Wink Twokitty, those 0's in your training log look impressive...looks almost identical to mine Tongue Have a good Friday Night all.........and enjoy "the gift" if your not part on the non running club Timmy Tim Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!