Masters Running

Sunday May 25 Daily! Up and Eating! (Read 39 times)

Heh, heh there is nothing like a 6 hour head start on coastwalker to give me a shot at the daily start.  Now, it is 4am his time so he should be out and about, but for me it is 10am.  I am in Brussels but heading out to Rotterdam later today for two days (a conference) and then back to Brussels for two more days and then home.  My excuse for posting is my run through Bois de la Cambre park and the forest attached to it.  It is amazing this place is part of a major city.  The first picture is from the park itself.

Bois de la Cambre park

The next is from the forest area

Forest near Bois de la Cambre park

I had planned to go out on an 11 mile run.  Then I got lost in the woods.  Seems like a regular occurrence when I travel.  Getting lost that is.  Never before in a woods!  Ended up doing 14 miles.  No running today just train catching for me and my DW.  But she was out running this morning and also headed out to the park.  Her run was 6 miles in total and I am happy to report she got lost on the way back too!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Marathon Maniac #957

Brussels - how exciting! Glad you both found your way back....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

wildchild

Carolyn

Good morning!  Good luck to Mike, Ryan, Dave and IBUB at Buffalo today!   And I think Karin must be finished her Scotland race already.  I'll go out on a limb and guess she won her AG!

My DD is graduating today!  Yesterday they had Senior Convocation, which is a pre-graduation day ceremony where the invited speaker talks.  Their speaker was actor Ed Helms, aka Andy Bernard from the TV show "The Office."  For those of you who watched the show, you'll know this character was a funny, obnoxious guy who was a Cornell graduate.  They made numerous references to Cornell through the 8 years the show ran.  (He didn't actually go to Cornell in real life, though.)  He's a very good speaker, and funny.  He said when he got the letter from Cornell inviting him to be their speaker he was touched. He told all his co-stars and they thought it was cool, too.   Anyway, his main message to the graduates was don't be afraid to go out and make a fool of yourself - have fun, try new things, dream big.

I took this as an omen that I should go ahead and register for the VT 50 miler when registration opens later today...

Here's a pic of me and DD at a family picnic yesterday.  Cap and gown pictures coming later!  :-)   I'm so darn proud of that kid.  She's graduating with a degree in Applied Engineering Physics.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

...beautiful picture/////////

===========

......40 min bikeride

damn seat keeps dropping and making me sit ''sidesaddle''

luckily I found a screw on the locking device (which was about to fall off)

........I could be getting smarter......

.................good running guys

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

mrrun

Great pics!  congrats WC to your daughter and awesome European runs

I'm sure the buffalo racers did super as did all other racers/runners.

Ran 10 with DIL this morning and it was faster than i run by myself.  Also, we talked about 'stuff' we wouldn't have otherwise - all good!

enjoy the rest of the w/e!

marj

Dave59

Great picture and a cool kid you got there Wild.

I took it real easy at the Buffalo Half today.  I just don't have the confidence in myself to push hard, but I finished feeling pretty good so I can build on that.  Garmin had me at 13.17 miles, 2:17:27, 10:26 pace.  I saw MikeE and Ryan at the finish for one last time to see hello and then goodbye.  MikeE is disappointed that he didn't meet his goal, but I told him we wouldn't hold it against him, so be nice when he comes by the forum.

I guess I over hydrated because I had to stop twice to use a port-o-potty.  That almost never happens on my training runs.

The weather was great and I had a pretty good time out on the course.  I was able to find a person here and there without headphones and spend some time chatting.

Next up is some lunch, a trip to see my aunt, and then a leisurely drive across Canada to get back home.

Garmin Connect: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/506683999

Howdy, Folks -

Carolyn - Congrats to your daughter.  Very nice pic.

Twocat - Beautiful!  Sorry 'bout the getting lost part . . . . *snork*

Still alive here, although yesterday I thought Kate was trying to kill us (not really).  Ends up I was completely wrong about where we were going.  Not Cascade Crest, but Capitol Peak.  But given the amount of climbing we did yesterday, I'm sure the difference isn't huge.  We followed most of the 55k course.  Wish I could post a pic of the profile, but I'm on Kate's computer and don't want to download stuff.  Absolutely beautiful course, though.  Lots of mountain bikers, and there was some kind of horse navigation competition going on, so lots of four-legged friends with 2-legged folks on their backs.  Anyway, we made it all the way to the top of Capitol Peak after a l-o-n-g arduous climb.  Slow going at times  . . . at least for Karen and me.  Instead of the scheduled 25, we ran 27.30, so today's run will 12+ instead of 15.  The way my legs are feeling (heavy), I'm wondering how I'll going to feel tomorrow for the 50k in Forest Park.  Lots of up and down.  We'll see!

If I get a chance, I'll post info about tomorrow.  Enjoy the rest of your weekend ~~

Leslie
                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Sayhey! MM#130

Dave!  good running; so glad you went.  You definitely have a super attitude.   Really good time, especially factoring in the stops.  Holly knows a little about that, I think.........  and you got those wings at the Anchor Bar, not to mention family face time.  Hope you enjoy the rest of the w/e.  And BIG points for posting so soon!

twocat, thanks for sharing your trip with us.  So pretty; makes me want to go run again, even though I put in my morning miles already!   And I know I would have gotten lost as well.

well Carolyn, you darn well should be proud of that young lady.   Feels really special to be able to see the picture and be able to think of her in her C&G today.  And get onto that registration in time, ultraladybeastduchessof wyominghighness. 

I can picture you out there, marg.  Sounds most excellent

Bridge repeats and sunrise and then a fantastic pumpernickle bagel for me (w/pesto hummus, so good so good so good [i have a lot of so goods stored in me since the team that usually gets them and shall remain nameless today isn't earning them of late]).

Happy rest of the weekend!

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

King of PhotoShop

Congrats to you both Carolyn.  Cornell is a great school.

TC, eat a lot of them sprouts while you're there.

My RP took her family to run a fiveK yesterday.  They put her name down as Ross instead of Ros and put her in the men's 50-54 AG, along with her husband.  This bumped him from 3rd AG to 4th and out of the money. Lots of laughs over that one.

Today I decided no more slow walking so I set out to do 2 miles in 30 minutes and finished in 29:53.  Very pleased with that.  Spareribs

Sayhey! MM#130

oooh! A Leslie sighting!  yay, you are having a blast, heavy legs and all.  thanks so much for staying in touch; been wondering how you've been faring on your trek.  This is short to try and catch you before you're on the trails again, trekwoman!

Sayhey! MM#130

and go ribs.  And Ros(s)!

Marathon Maniac #957

I took this as an omen that I should go ahead and register for the VT 50 miler when registration opens later today...

Great picture, and congrats to your DD!

Dave - nice racing!

TomWhite -

Aamos - pesto hummus on a pumpernickel bagel sounds wonderful!

Ribs - nice meeting your goal!

I had a lovely run along the river this morning, starting out on tired legs.  I played golf, 9 holes walking a hilly course, yesterday and the day before, on top of runs in the morning, and I am embarrassed as a runner at how tired my legs were this morning from the extra golfing workout.  Must be all those extra miles walking back and forth looking for my balls. 

We are going to a cookout later and I am trying a new recipe - sweet potato burritos.  I will let you know if they turn out good.

20.3 miles for me today.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

King of PhotoShop

Holly, you just called me "Ribe."  Just when I thought we were tight.   Spareribs

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Nice pictures. Beautiful running scenery and beautiful people!

Too bad it's so hard to post pictures here.

Like Twocat, I'm also in Europe (Switzerland). Here over the weekend so yesterday I ran 16 miles along the Limmat river in Zurich to Lake Zurich and then headed east to the Uetliberg mountain. Miles 7.5 to 9 climbed 1000 ft with a good half mile of single track climbing holding on to trees to keep from falling back down the steep slope. I assumed if I made it to the top there would be normal trails back down. Great views of the city and lake way down below and there was a nice trail for the way down!

That was a pretty strenuous 16 miles so today I ran flat along the lake for a 16 miler.

Bordering the lake are the snow capped Alps in the distance. Nice place to run!

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

TammyinGP

Wonderful start to the daily TwoCat!

congrats Carolyn - I know you are very proud of her and you should be! a smart, beautiful woman with a very bright future ahead of her.

glad to hear you are having a good running wknd Leslie. doesn't surprise me in the least though that you are running more than you thought you would. I think that is all part of the ultra mind tricks isn't it? oh, just going for a leisurely 25 mile run, probably means anything up to about 29 or so.

Nice running at buffalo, Dave! I think my most enjoyable halfs are the ones where I just run a nice comfortable pace. I feel like I can just continue on with running w/o needing a few days rest from pushing it.

sounds like a beautiful run Perch! 

David and I went out for a run this morning. 5.3 miles and then I ran another .7 with the dogs when i got home.

Tammy