Masters Running

Monday, May 2nd. And there was great rejoicing. (Read 532 times)

lamerunner

{{Twocat}}  What an awful expereince for you.

I remember that day too; my DH was in Seattle having flown across the country from Boston the previous day.  his meeting was cancelled so he had to make the best of it and hike in the Cascades; he could not  lfy home for a few days. Kids were 8 and 2...

Holly, DD chose University of San Fransisco. I guess we will be needing frequent flyer miles...she really wants somewhere diverse and very different from the Northeast.  Seems like a decent school, Jesuit-run, and though we are not  religious, those Jesuits know how to run a school. About 5000 undergrads. We shall see how it all works out. I am apprehensive about her going so far away but also admire her guts.  Dh's cousin lives in SF too, which makes me feel a bit better.

I am tired today; lots of financial discussions  this weekend.

TammyinGP

Wasn't planning on posting today as I have nothing to contribute really (rest day) but just had to comment on TwoCats post - that is unbelievable, I, too, can't imagine the fear and anxiety you felt that day not knowing about your wife. While the evil mastermind is dead and that surely brings some sense of justice and closure to many, I fear the vengeance that is now in the minds of his followers. They will be seeking their own justice.

puppy pics! love the little cows on the floor shot also. so adorable!

We had a pretty successful training weekend with our two little pups also. They are learning some basic commands, know the potty routine, and like their crate for sleeping. still make a few mistakes in the house, to be expected, but definitely getting the hang of this.

eta: since I didn't post over the weekend, I guess I can report my 11.5 mile run yesterday. it was nice and sunny out and I got a glaring reminder that body glide is a good thing when I get all sweaty like this. ouch!

Tammy

Marathon Maniac #957

{{Twocat}}  What an awful expereince for you.

Yes, I agree!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

evanflein

Wow, Twocat, that's quite a story. Amazing to hear the stories of families being reunited after that event. We have friends who live in Manhattan and saw so much of the day unfold...

What did Mtnchk1 race this weekend? I didn't see her on the Intrepid list... That is a very impressive PR, Cindy. Please tell us more about it!

Baby cows on the kitchen floor! Oh they are so adorable. That one looks to have taken the whole thing in stride.

Lamerunner, I hope you'll get to go visit often. The Bay Area is really a very beautiful part of California. I lived in Livermore for about 9 months, and worked in Walnut Creek. That's really pretty cool that she's taking that big step across the country. You'll be impressed with how fast she grows up.

Hey Nancy, nice job on the accidental 20 miler! What a fun weekend of running you and your family had. Any finish line photos to share?

Holly, any news on the job?

Today will be an easy day at the gym, then a RAW on the bikepath.

Top 'O the World!

Oh hey everyone!

LOVE the puppy pics! (dog runner myself)

I did run a little 26 mile group run on Sunday. My 4th & so far, most successful. Making verrry slow progress in the running dept, which I just started a bit over 4 yrs ago & 40 lbs heavier...put a little RR w/pics on the 40's, 50's, 60's on the run thread..  feeling pretty good now...going out for an easy couple with the furbaby shortly - before the rain dials in better!  & out of battery life just now....

Laters Wink 

Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

Twocat - can't even imagine what that was like, what it is still like to remember it.

I think we all have those "where were you when" stories about 9/11.

Even though I was on the west coast, I was up watching TV with my toddler at 6am, something I only did when they were that little.  So I saw most of the worst, live, on TV.

We had to fly to Toronto the next weekend.  The were some people on our flight that had been stranded all week in Seattle.  The flight attendant looked like she was going to throw up the entire time.

We got to Ontario and were shocked to see American flags in nearly every front window of every house.  The local newpaper had printed them in the centrepiece for this purpose.

Anyhow, had a physical/annual whatever you want to call it today.  Yup, still think my family doctor is useless, but she is nice so I guess I'll keep going back.

Raining, not sure about a run.

Keep those puppy pictures coming!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

OrangeMat

MM #6177

I have a question for all you racing gurus: is it stupid to think of running a 10k the weekend before my relay? I mean, having never done that distance before, it would be a PR by default... yeah, I know, as if losing face because I had a bad race should be my biggest problem, right? Sheesh...

But anyway, I just don't know if it's wise or not. For me, in particular, I mean. And my tendency (in the past) to get injured by running too fast too often. My legs in the relay have been changed again, so now my total mileage is only 13ish instead of 16ish miles. So what's a little 10k the weekend before going to hurt, eh? It's on Sunday, a local race sponsored by one of the JCCs in the area. I mean, am I being silly to even worry about it being too much for me??

A few weeks ago, I mentioned to one of the women that I run with that I was thinking of doing a 5k in June, but that we were already planning on doing another one that weekend, so I asked her if "you're allowed" to do that. She didn't stop laughing for like 20 minutes. Personally, I thought it was a totally reasonable question. I mean, what the heck do I know about racing?? I mean, sheesh, I just finished looking up the difference between fartleks and strides, yet another of the universe's great mysteries...

Big grin

Dave59 even dogs can get tired!  I guess for a work dog like you are training that is not good.  But for my SIL and her pack of 6 Jack Russells it is a very, very good thing!

hopeful4ever I told my DW about the puppies and next thing I know she wanted me to dig up the thread with the first one.  She like never ever asks to see something on the computer!  She was quite taken with them.

fatozzig the crutches are such a drag.  Stairs!  Who ever thought they were so tough to get up and down!  Really.  I am off mine but I fear a long way from getting out of my moon boot.

lamerunner I grew up near NYC and ended up in Berkeley for college.  I think it will do your DD quite a lot of good to be off on her own and far enough away that she knows parental help is days away.  It definitely helped me to grow up a bit.  Alas, not as much as it should have!  But better something than nothing in that regard!  Smile

Mtnchk1 well I too missed the PR line!  Congratulations!

OrangeMat relays are just long parties on wheels.  I would not take it seriously or consider it a "race."  Just view it as a weekend's entertainment.  Race away in that 10K if you want!

Well I did my half mile walk.  Got home stretched my ankle per the instruction sheets I have and then iced it for 20 minutes.  Oh joy!  Next week my DW and I are going on a long planned trip to the Caribbean (off season = much cheaper).  Well, the timing could have been worse; closer to my flight down the stairs.  My DW will be happy though.  I typically hate sitting on beaches all day and reading.  She loves doing that.  This trip I will not be setting us up to "do things" every waking minute so she gets her wish; a trip with days of beach sitting and reading.  Cry  I guess since it will be in a very nice place it is going to be pretty hard to generate a lot of sympathy on this front.  Joking

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Marathon Maniac #957

Holly, any news on the job?

Just got the call from HR.....

YES!!!!

No time now, but I'll tell you more later....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

OrangeMat

MM #6177

YES!!!!

No time now, but I'll tell you more later....

Yay!!

Oh, and I keep meaning to congratulate you, Mtnchk1! 26 minutes is HUGE!

TammyinGP

YAY Holly! I can't wait to hear more news!

OM - I wouldn't even think twice about whether or not to race the 10K. If it's something you want to do, then just do it. a 10K distance is a drop in the bucket for you now and is probably the distance you would run the wknd before a relay anyways.

Tammy

OrangeMat

MM #6177

Thanks Tammy. Yes, you're right, but I guess I'm still in the habit of thinking of myself as a lesser runner. I just signed up for it. Off to the Intrepid thread for me... Smile

Mike E

MM #5615

YES!!!!

And the rejoicing continues...

YES!!!!

WOO HOO!!!!  Yea, Holly!!

Leslie
                              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

, but I guess I'm still in the habit of thinking of myself as a lesser runner.

there are no lesser runners, just different runners.

Oh yeah............YEAH HOLLY!!!!

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.