Masters Running

Thursday July 14th - daily thread (Read 391 times)

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

tanjoubi omedetou gozaimasu chocho-san and wildchild.

heylenie - is that giant hill your ran up-and-down for six miles when it was so hot yesterday the same one  down there that's 375 feet with 25% grade and trails looping in-and-out and around-and-about where they used to have those races? I'm afraid to ask but how many times are you going to do it tonight?

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Our Ragnar Relay Team captain, Captain Awesome (aka MillBot), just let us know that these will be arriving in the mail shortly.  Apparently a Bronze Baton is given for our 3rd place finish.

Kewl!

I especially the saying on the bottom of the Baton.  Big grin

Bill

From Wasatch Back Ragnar Relay 2011

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

So glad you came through surgery well OM and that you are feeling better today. Vibes to ya!

Happy Birthday to birthday twins wildchild and maraposai. Make it a great one!

So sorry to hear your news Twocat. I hope you can make your visit soon. It will mean a great deal to both you and your friend.

Ran 4 miles this morning at 8:00 am with my kiddo--as other New Englanders have reported---a fabulous morning for running! When we got back we let Hudson chase us around the property for a bit. He's way too young to come along on the big runs, but in awhile I am sure he'll be running some good miles with us. We start puppy school on Saturday with him.

Group track workout tonight---5x 600s and some other stuff. yee haw!

Hey lamerunner!

Forgot to mention how much I loved all the photos and description of your race Robin and what a treat to see your Will fly!

fatozzig, I'm glad to hear the Dr is happy with your progress.  jlynne, it's great to get clearance from your Dr to start some exercising.  Twocat, sorry to hear about your friend.  My thoughts are with him and his family.  hopeful, nice pictures of your "little" landscape project.  OM, good to hear your surgery was successful.  Happy birthday to wild and mari.

Nice long runs for perch and PBJ (sproinky).  Good job on the speedwork for mari and Opie.

This morning, it was in the low 50s and calm.  I got in 12 miles in about 2:04 for a 10:19 pace.

First thing tomorrow morning we are off to Peoria to attend our daughter's graduation from her dietetic internship and then move her back to MI and her job.  Hopefully, she'll be off the dole.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

OrangeMat

MM #6177

Opie, I have two pairs of the Ghost 3 that I had bought before I started working at the running store. In the store we only sell the most current version of all the shoes. I tried on the Ghost 4 but didn't like the fit once I put in my orthotics. Still waiting for a pair of the Glycerin 9 to be in the store in my size when I have my orthotics with me. I typically wear the Nike Lunar Eclipse when I work, the only pair of sneakers I've ever been able to wear without my orthotics. I won't try running in them, though, since I have high arches and running without my orthotics would risk a flareup of the arthritis in my foot. But for being on my feet all day and even walking, those Nikes are great. Who knew?

Mike E., I must've missed hearing about your heel issues. Hope you get it resolved soon!

Mary, making a new puppy playground there? Wink

Jlynne, you're back to running already? Another thing I've missed, good for you! Yes, I can sympathize with the lack of core strength, having been off that regimen myself these last 7 weeks or so. Now that I had surgery on both sides of my upper body, I can't rely on my left arm to lift me, so I definitely have to use my legs and core much more.  Forgive me for not keeping up on your news, but are you in PT as your post-op regimen? Believe me, I know how it is to forget to be kind to oneself during a recovery period, but that's why it's good to keep in the company of positive and like-minded people, like everyone here. Smile

MTA: Happy Birthday to Wildchild and Mariposai!

Byll, do the women get Bronze Goddess batons? Cool hardware there, congrats!

Jlynne

Jlynne, you're back to running already?

I wish! No, I walked 7 miles this morning and yes, it takes a long time (and doesn't burn off many calories either, I might add) I haven't started any PT yet, but I've been cleared to gradually ease into the eliptical and stationary bike. No core or ab work until my appt in August. I could look 6 months pregnant by then Wink

Glad your surgery went well, OM. Heal and rest well and take good care of yourself. How soon before you can go back to work?

I've got a baton like that too Bill, only mine is royal blue! We took first place in the senior mixed masters at the Ragnar Miami to Key West last January. That was the best trophy ever.

Happy birthday to two of our favorite running goddesses, Carolyn and Mariposai. Hope your days are just the way you like them!

Mike - take it from someone who's been on the pitty pot a lot lately, these people like us anyway (at least I think they do) Good luck to you and Mary with those "small" landscaping projects!

mrrun

Happy Birthday Mariposai and Wildchild!

((OM)) on your surgery

Twocat, sorry about your friend,

Marj

Happy Birthday, Posie and Wildchild!!!

{{{OM}}} So happy to hear you came through the surgery with flying colors!

Mike - If you're still in need of landscaping projects, you can come to my house. Big grin

Mary - Do my eyes deceive me, or is that a white hydrangea in the corner of one of your pictures?  My hydrangeas are the blueish/purplish/pink and for the last two years I've been babying a shooting star.

Today is the 40th birthday of one of the gals here at work.  We decorated her office with black streamers and one of the ladies made a cake with graham cracker crumbs to resemble dirty aka Older than Dirt.  So for breakfast, it was coffee and chocolate cake!  Yum!

Workout Wise:  The sleep thing didn't go so well again last night, but I was at least able to get up for a 4.15-mile walk in 58:29 whilst listening to Ultrarunnerpodcast.com. If you're into podcasts, these guys are doing a great job.  The podcast I listened to this morning was of Scott Warr's Western States run.  Fantastic interview.  I've listened to it twice now.  And the walk went really well, too!

Leslie
                  Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Mary, making a new puppy playground there? Wink

Funny, because actaully it is quite the opposite....we rerouted the underground fencing so that the dogs cannot go into that area.   Boy, were they confused for a day or so, but have it figured out now.     The bad part is we had it so close to the house that when they went to get a drink of water the collars were buzzing, and they could not get close to DH in his chair either.   We fixed all that.  Poor babies!

So glad everything went well OM!

JLynne - my belly is getting bigger too and I don't have a good excuse like you do.   We can ramp back up together!

Sorry to out-project you MikeE.   We've had this in the works for a year now with DH doing all the preliminary work and retaining wall building.    We finally decided that we aren't getting any younger, he has back trouble, and our free time is limited so we decided to hire the rest done.    Having been do-it-ourselfer's for all of our years together, it is so strange to come home and see things getting done .... like magic!    It will be a patio, firepit and pond with waterfall when it is all done.   Pictures for sure!! 

ETA:   Leslie - those are actually blue Hydrangeas.    I need to move them, but after transplanting one and seeing it suffer, I will wait until fall to move these other two.  

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                    It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

OrangeMat

MM #6177

Do you sell the Ghost 3 in your store?  Because the 4 is out, it's on clearance at the Brooks web site for $65.

Just saw a link to this on my FB feed: Summer Shoe Closeout. Now who says FB is a waste of time? Wink

Actually, I've just gotten onto Google+, the newest flavor of the day of social media websites. If anyone wants an invite, just PM me your gmail address (or whatever you use to sign into google) and you can start your venture into their circles thing. Still not sure if I like what I'm seeing there, which isn't really much, so that might be why I'm underwhelmed at the moment. I read somewhere that google+ is supposed to be the FB for grownups.

Though this probably sums it all up the best:

MTA: My brain is such mush lately... I keep meaning to give Leslie a shoutout for her return to walking! You go girl!!

Hi Folks - Hills and an impromptu long run - ran into some buddies on the trail and reversed course to hang out with them a while - when they finished I was a little farther from home than planned but no worries - I have lots of clock time, very limited contact time - ended up w/ 16.8 miles in 2:24:43, an 8:37 avg pace. Beautiful day in CNY.

Glad OM's feeling better.  Hope the Birthday Girls have a great day!

Twocat - I'm sorry about your friend.

Congrats to the Ragnar baton winners!  - mine is black from Arizona event a few years ago that MCSolar captained.  Course I only deserved a 1/3 of a baton since I spent the other 2/3rd in the hospital ER.

Peace.

Skip

Mike E

MM #5615

...ran into some buddies on the trail and reversed course to hang out with them a while...

That is really cool!

Henrun

Joyeux jour de Bastille and Happy Birthday to Mariposi and Wild Child.

Beautiful day. I wish I could say that I had a sproinky run but it was a S-L-O-W 10 miler and enjoyable nevertheless. My slowness is so disheartening-especially when little old ladies and little old men in walkers pass me. Haven't been able to regain any speed since my back problems 6 months ago. It may be my age but, at least, I'm still 'running' or what feels to me like a run.

Mariposai

Thanks for the happy birthday wish to my birthday twin sistahh Wildchild and I! 

My day started out grand with a cool and lovely 9 miler meandering around the cherry, pear and apple orchards. Miles 5 to 9 were effortless!!  This is my favorite route because of it's beauty in scenery. At one point I can even see a lake with a gorgeous mountain peak as a back drop.and it keeps being great. 

Byll, how cool is that! 3rd place finish! Wow! 

Back to work now. Then a skype party with my papa and siblings back home, then I may, just may go for a bike ride as DS#2 cooks dinner for me.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

I wish I could say that I had a sproinky run but it was a S-L-O-W 10 miler and enjoyable nevertheless. My slowness is so disheartening-especially when little old ladies and little old men in walkers pass me. Haven't been able to regain any speed since my back problems 6 months ago. It may be my age but, at least, I'm still 'running' or what feels to me like a run.

You should be quite proud to still be doing 10 milers Henry!  You are an inspiration to many!  Glad you enjoyed your run!