Masters Running

Tuesday runs and such (Read 506 times)

tomwhite now you just need her phone number!  Clown

Exactly!  And once you get it, just email it to me, OK?

Exactly!  And once you get it, just email it to me, OK?

...if Pickles finds out about this, she'll just laugh......

and

then start

Cleaning the Shotguns.........ya don't mess wi' those Tennessee Gals////.

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Marathon Maniac #957

well my "racing" is not really racing because I am so slow.  

Okay, I think I may have to slap you.....Joking

Byll - another one here who is grateful you posted that - thanks!

Jlynne - my commute is about 35 minutes each way now.  Not terrible, and fairly stress-free, since most of it is on country roads.  I was thinking tonight how lovely much of the drive is, with the deep greens of mid-summer, the freshly cut hay rolls out in the fields, the soybean fields lush and shiny, the corn getting tall. The only problem is my gently nagging hamstring on my right leg, unnoticed during the day but oddly aggravated by pressing the accellerator pedal for the commute to and from work - I find myself trying to drive with my left foot, and putting my lunch box icepack under my knee.  Roll eyes

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Jlynne... I'd try that mosquito trail because in my experience, mosquitos don't bother runners (moving objects). I've run through trails where, if you stopped, you'd get eaten alive.. no bites while running.

Thanks Byll and Ribs for the wave run explanations.  Another variant, which I do is repeated progression runs so pace is in a saw-tooth pattern.  6 miles progressively faster then another 6 starting slow again. When you start the pattern over you have to really concentrate on going SLOWER!  When you get the speed back up you can really fly.  Same quality workout a a wave (distance + speed).

Ran 7.8 miles this morning with embedded 4 mile tempo effort. After work ran 2 miles "fast" (8:00 pace) in a hot 88° for heat acclimation (a 3rd mile would have been RTYP!)

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Holly S. I have from, alas, personal experience a way to mitigate driving's aggravation of your hamstring. Go to an upholstery shop. Have them pull some couch cushion padding. Ask for some pretty firm padding. Have them cut 3" or so sized holes towards the back so that your hamstrings are resting on air. Now just drive with the pad between you and the car seat. I have this for both my car and office.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Holly - I don't remember if you injured your hamstring, but have you tried really gentle wall stretching?  Also, I know you're really good about strength training.  Are you including hamstring strengthening (i.e. bridges - double leg and single leg).  It may not be the same thing, but at one point my quads were over-strengthened compared to my hamstrings and it was brutal.  Besides the strengthening, I did daily wall stretching which helped immensely.  Just a thought.  And when they hurt, it feels like your butt bone is digging into the hamstring.  I like Twocat's idea of the foam.  Nice one!

Doc appointment went good this afternoon.  He was very happy with my progress and seemed surprised I wasn't using the crutches at all.  As I suspected, he warned me against trying to do too much too soon, which I assured him I was trying really hard to not do.  That being said, I have decided against trying to run for the rest of the week and will throw a small amount in this coming Saturday when I go back out to Headwaters for a power walk.  He has given me the green light to start working on balance again on the BOSU and to ramp up my strength training, so that's something.

Afterward, put in a 45 min pool run.  Looking back at my training log, it's the first pool run in two weeks.  Went really well, except toward the end when things started to get too rambunctious for me.  When I was putting my flotation belt and the water dumb bells away, I saw on the board that it was Fun Day.  Yep, explained a lot.

Leslie
              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Great yoga class after work, then after a green smoothie back here, headed out for my run.  I was very excited to see my friend Sue.  She was in a horrible bike accident a while back and had a brain injury.  She's making a great recovery and was doing a run/walk with their daughter.  Sue is the chorus director at the neighborhood junior high and taught DD.  I did the run/walk with them for a little over a mile then finished up the run as planned.  Sue's the other crazy runner who everyone has seen running on these roads in town for years, longer than me.

"I didn’t run a race until I was 41 and that was a marathon! Let that sink in for a minute." -me

Maniac 505

Twocat

I had actually done the research on the internet when I bought  the Mustang.  I got it for a couple hundred below the dealer invoice (though I have no clue what incentives the dealer had) .  I didn't do nearly as well on the Honda that I am currently driving, and I am sure your advice would have served me well (and may well help when I buy my next car in ten years or so)

8 miles today, and for the first time in a while it felt a little sproinky (though the times didn't reflect it)  Off to work in the really AM hours tomorrow.

Dave

Mariposai

Doc appointment went good this afternoon.  He was very happy with my progress and seemed surprised I wasn't using the crutches at all.  As I suspected, he warned me against trying to do too much too soon, which I assured him I was trying really hard to not do.  That being said, I have decided against trying to run for the rest of the week and will throw a small amount in this coming Saturday when I go back out to Headwaters for a power walk.  He has given me the green light to start working on balance again on the BOSU and to ramp up my strength training, so that's something.

As I always say...listen to your body

then listen to those who spent their lives studying the human body!

Glad to hear that your are going to be wise about your coming back...

who knows...we may just run the Ave of the Giants together...who knows!!!

While the moon being 95 % full and prancing on my balcony right now, she leads me to dream for next year's races!!!

SkipAZ, you bring such a zest to RA! Glad you are here.

Twocat, when Holly slaps you in one side, you better darn be sure I will be right on the other side to slap you with a  on the other side...you slow?????? give me a brake!!! Great come back my dear friend!

Bregarcito, great explanation on the benefit of the wave run! I have benefited from it's efforts for the last three years! Thanks for taking the time to put your input in paper. I really benefited from it! Specially since you were under a MASTER trainer in the near past!!!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

We were able to get Father-inlaws pants from home, though it was an adventure, with expressway shut down for car fire DW an her mother ran back to their house and got his pants, otherwise he would have been wearing sweat pants. Ha Ha.  I did not notice brother inlaws unzipped pants, I think it was his DW who  finally noticed, I do not know about photos though, that would be funny.  3.5 miles this PM before work 38 minutes.  Run well all

Marathon Maniac #957

And when they hurt, it feels like your butt bone is digging into the hamstring.  I like Twocat's idea of the foam.  Nice one!

You know, I may be talking about the wrong muscle then.  While I am feeling a little nagging pain at the point where my butt meets the leg, the place that hurts when I am driving is lower down, in the back of my lower thigh right above the knee and down to where it begins to bend.  I usually don't feel that pain at any other time in the day, but during my drive time it can be quite painful. 

Leslie, to answer your question, I am doing some lower body weights, but not very much.  Every time I do them I aggravate this area somewhat, and I am torn between working them more to strengthen them or backing off.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."