Masters Running

Go Steelers Saturday - January 03, 2015 (Read 37 times)

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

I'm still not ready for FB yet but, with RA'ers getting famous in 'em,

I might have to start you-tubin and Runner's World after all..

/

Still recovering from last year's rainy runs and Thursday's sunny Resolution 5K Run so no running today.

However, in the meantime, no particular reason, but GO STEELERS!!!!

ps steve - those "beach" pictures would be as if wildchild posted the Rockies when she was in Mexico.

pps - be sure to let Noah "listen" to the ocean in the conch shell.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

Tet, I've missed the last few days' posts, so I'll have to backtrack when I can to find out what I missed.

The last 3 days were a whirlwhind: Relatives (6 and a fresh baby) all arrived in the late afternoon/early evening (horrendous traffic caused by an accident caused them all to be at least an hour late) on New Year's Eve. We had a big buffet, a fire roaring and wine flowing, and had a great evening at home. Only 2 people made it to midnight. We all (except the baby and her mom) went to the Hangover Classic 5K on Thursday. It was great to see Marj and Henry there (both were looking spectacular), and well as other friends from the region. I saw Marj on the course, and she was running well. I crossed the finish line before her, but she was well ahead of me in net time because of how far back in the pack she was at the start of the race. Henry won his AG, and looked good doing it! After we got home, we all hung at the house while DW and I worked on dinner. It seems we were cooking all afternoon, and I didn't get to sit until I took a break for some shrimp cocktail at about 6:30. We had a lot of laughs around the dinner table, and then in front of the fireplace. I finally crashed at about 10:30. Yesterday, was another whirlwind day, with a lot of projects and activities checked off. Lots of kids were ice skating on the pond across the street, so we went and took photos. DW took photos of the baby and her parents (posing as a dentist and a mom) to show off one of our products for our next catalog. Dinner was a Thanksgiving redo, and everything (even if I say so myself) came out great. Today, because there is a significant storm coming up from the south and west, our guests wanted to get on the road early so they could try to get back to their homes in NJ and NY before the weather gets too bad. The first shift left at 6:45, and the second at 10:35. Now, DW and are trying to regroup, and will spend most of the rest of the day doing laundry and getting the beds remade and the house back in order. I know there'll be time for a nap in there somewhere!

I did well in the 5K on Thanksgiving day, finishing with about a 10:08 pace - still a ways away from my elusive 10:00 goal. I went for 8.2 easy miles yesterday morning, and 8.3 (on a completely different course) this morning. With snow/sleet/rain coming, starting late today, I may be doing a snowblower workout tomorrow morning. Or maybe I'll sleep in: we had a great time over the last few days, but I sure am exhausted!

Enjoy!  -  Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

shadow runner

The Shirtless Wonder

Great job today Jay. Same to those who follow.

Easy Peazy 5 miles today for running buddy and me today along towpath with temps in the 30's.  We managed to beat the weather which for this AM will be nasty with temps around freezing.  So right now it is sleeting, raining, snowing.  Tomorrow is supposed to warm-up to 60 F with rain ending early.  So looking forward to tomorrow's long run.

Later folks.

Joe Suder

Nulla camisia et nulla problematum 

Jlynne

Good morning guys and all to follow. Jay, I'm exhausted just reading about your last few days! I hope you and your DW get a chance to relax a little this weekend.

And Tet - go Steelers? Aren't you in Seahawks country???!  I can cheer for any team this weekend - the Packers are on bye, though it would be nice to see the Lions beat the Cowboys (sorry Ribs).  As much as I dislike the Lions, I think the Packers would have a better chance beating them at Lambeau next Sunday rather than the red hot Cowboys.

Hi Steve!  I've been wondering where you've been. Welcome back!

A fresh couple of inches of snow on the ground this morning and a really nice temp of 24° made for some beautiful running at 6:00 AM. I can't believe how sore I was after falling off of that stability ball yesterday and can definitely feel some soreness in my tailbone area. So, a very slow 5 miles around the neighborhood with some good stretching when I got back home. I'm starting to de-clutter and start bins of things to give to one of our local homeless shelters or the St.Vincent de Paul store. DS#2 is so excited he'll be getting our snow blower and lawn mower when we move into the condo in a few months. As a young home owner with a tight budget, these will really help him out. Our condo will not be ready in time so we'll have to do a double-move. DH is not happy about putting everything in storage but what are you going to do? One of my new year's resolutions is to try and not sweat the small stuff

Have a great Saturday everyone!

King of PhotoShop

Like Jay, I've been out of action here, but unlike Jay, I run slower than 10:08 per mile.

We've had 3 days of cold rainy weather, but today was low 40's, overcast and no wind.  In other words, a perfect day to run.  We ended the week with 35 for the Saint, her longest week ever, and 37 for me, so we're happy about that.

One of my clients has colleges and universities as their clients, so this week I'm teaching a seminar for them at SMU, as the school is a client of theirs and was happy to give them a classroom, rather than them having the expense of a hotel.  My son Prime Rib got his MFA from SMU and teaches there now as an adjunct professor, so it will be fun to teach one day there myself, although not for the school.   Spareribs

New skirt in town

I swear there must be clones of Marj and Henry, they are spotted EVERYWHERE!

I know nothing about football, so I'm clueless as to much of the conversation here today!  I'll just cheer anyone on who needs cheering'!

I did my tough resistance workout this morning and then hopped on the treadmill.  5.7 miles!  And my foot feels great!  Here's how I'm easing back in to running, to enforce a nice slow pace and to really keep myself aware of any twinges from my poor metatarsal.  I walk for 2 minutes, then run for 2 minutes nice and slow.  Walk for 2 minutes, then run for 3 minutes. All the while starting the run periods really slow and then slowly increasing the pace.  Then I walk for 2 minutes and run for 4 minutes, etc, etc. This seemingly rote progression prevents me from getting into too much of a zone and running too quickly.  I'm constantly monitoring my form and checking in on my foot.  I'm determined not to allow myself to reinjure this newly mended metatarsal, no matter how good I feel!  I'll let myself get winded on the elliptical tomorrow...

--Robin

NO  MO MELANOMA! Help me run 26.2 miles and raise $5000 for the Melanoma Foundation of NE.  Visit this page to learn more:  http://tinyurl.com/NO-MO-MELANOMA

evanflein

I know very little about football and don't have an opinion on who wins what, but I'm sure it'll be on the TV at least some of the day today.

Jay... just posting on a Thanksgiving 5k? Or was this the New Year's Day run? Sounds like you had a full house with lots of celebration for new year's!

Jlynne, yes you definitely could've bruised your tailbone (coccyx) with that fall. Take it easy and sit on pillows! Smile

Robin, nice to see you getting back to running and it sounds like you're taking it nice and easy. I don't think I've ever had a stress fracture, but I deal with metatarsalgia from my hammer toe and it can be very painful. You're running Boston this year, right?

Marj and Henry do get around! And always doing well, it seems. Miss you guys!

Steve P running with hermit crabs, Heme running with pruners! Goodness you guys are an interesting bunch.

We are getting a taste of normal January conditions today. We've only hit -20 once before this season (last week) and this morning it's -18° at 10 a.m. (in town, it's about +5° here at our house). We'll see what the day brings, but I'd wanted to get in 7-8 miles today, and not necessarily hills but it might be that or the treadmill. Still working on cleaning and decluttering around here (decluttering is a major resolution of mine... apparently every year!) so that'll keep me busy the rest of the day.

Back to work on Monday after a week and a half off. I am so NOT ready for that!

Marathon Maniac #957

Jay - whew!

Shadowrunner - 60's yay!  It's supposed to be in the upper 40's here tomorrow, so if the rain will stop I will enjoy some miles outside, too.

Last night's small dinner party went well and I ate far too much.  One of our friends brought a bottle of wine that cost $200 and shared it with us.    I must admit that, while it was good, my palette is not discerning enough to truly appreciate a wine like that.

Steady rain and low 30's this morning kept me on the TM.

5.25 miles recovery run today.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Sorry you have that residual soreness, Jlynne.  Hope that nothing is cracked.  One of the 100 mile gals here took a tumble last spring off her snowboard and broke her tailbone.  Took her quite some time to recover.

Hermit crabs in shorts?  Tee hee!

Got off my lethargic butt this morning and joined the Saturday trail gang for a nice 10 miler.  Temps weren't as cold as I expected so got a tad overheated, despite unzipping as much as I could and dofting the gloves.  Most of the group are a bit faster than me, so I got pulled along at an unexpectedly speedy clip, even though they waited for me a few times.  And isn't it always the case that when the fast folks walk to wait for you that they start running again just as soon as you catch them?  Aw come on!!!!!

.....Nancy The road to hell is paved....... run trails!

Henrun

I swear there must be clones of Marj and Henry, they are spotted EVERYWHERE!

Robin, glad you're back to running. As we drove up Commonwealth this morning we looked for you but I guess your group had already run. Did see a lot of runners starting their marathon training - a sure sign of spring!

Yes, we send our clones out to all races although we don't race as much as we used to.

And isn't it always the case that when the fast folks walk to wait for you that they start running again just as soon as you catch them?  Aw come on!!!!!

Yes!

JLynne - I busted my tailbone when I was a kid (long story), and it does take quite awhile for things to heal, even if it's just bruised.  I'd recommend going to your local drug store and buying a "donut" to sit on.  It helps a lot as it takes the pressure off that area when you're sitting.

Jay - I second being exhausted just reading your post.

Tet - Steelers???

I've decided that I am going to add working with The Hub to my training log, being as how when I do work with him, it's usually an hour+ of mowing, etc.  For instance, this morning, 1.75 hrs of wrangling a mower, string trimmer (I suck at string trimming), and blowing areas clean.  My arms are a bit shaky from yesterday's ST workout plus today's work, with some of it pushing a the mower up and down a little hill side, and slinging a string trimmer and blower for probably 40 minutes.  I've said it before, but I'll say it again - when I work with The Hub, it gives me a new appreciation of how hard he works.  This job, by himself, would've probably taken him close to 4 hrs.

Now I'm off to do transcription for the rest of the day.  No rest for the wicked!

Later ~

Leslie
                        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

And Tet - go Steelers? Aren't you in Seahawks country???!  I can cheer for any team this weekend - the Packers are on bye, though it would be nice to see the Lions beat the Cowboys (sorry Ribs).  As much as I dislike the Lions, I think the Packers would have a better chance beating them at Lambeau next Sunday rather than the red hot Cowboys.

ziggie - Jlynne’ll understand the many Seahawks fans who want the Steelers to win too to permit a chance for a football game not skewed by the lousy officiating in February 2005 that even the Steelers admitted. Unfortunately, the Packers probably still have the same target on us after similarly bad, if not worse, officiating at Lambeau Field a couple of years ago decided the game.  If so, mske sure Quarterback Aaron Rodgers is back to full strength.

Tet, I've missed the last few days' posts, so I'll have to backtrack when I can to find out what I missed.

Thanks for the reminder, Jay. 
                          One of the factors dampening my interest for a long time in CoolRunning in those days was the penchant for not only not summarizing the key content of prior days’ posts to which they were referring but not even including a hot link. Now I have a New Year’s resolution not to do that myself. However, after one turned out to be a spam once, I still won’t click on “Look-at-this!” hot links without any clue as to the content.
                          I should have posted

I'm still not ready for FB yet but, with RA'ers getting quoted in Runners World (Dr. Robin)

and Jlynne crash -and-burn on a burst fitness ball, I might have to start

you-tubin and Runner's World after all..

Who gets Runner's World?  I'm quoted in this month's article about 12 Habits of Highly Motivated Runners!  Now go get some sunscreen...

http://www.runnersworld.com/running-tips/12-habits-of-highly-motivated-runners?adbid=10152514788391987&adbpl=fb&adbpr=9815486986&cid=socTP_20150102_38122697

--Robin

Anyway, I sit on a stability ball at the front desk instead of a regular office chair. Someone had called about scheduling a racquetball court so I was talking to them on the phone when BOOM!! The seams blew out on the stability ball and I ended up on the floor on my keester. This is a tile floor, and I landed pretty hard. I'm feeling a little sore so I hope nothin' got thrown out of whack. The embarrassing part is this was all captured on the security camera mounted near our entrance. I can't imagine how stoopid this all looked.  I guess good incentive to take some weight off, right?

ps erika - it took being with 102,000 frenzied fans in The Big House of Michigan Stadium before I cared about football. They sure make me glad for the Seahawks now though.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

wildchild

Carolyn

Howdy, masters!

I did a 5k race this morning with the Colorado Masters Running and Racewalking Association.  This is a fun group, and I saw several friends.   I'm usually not very social, but I'm trying to go to more group runs/races.  It would be easier if I lived closer to town, but today I had to go to Costco anyway because we're about out of dog food.

Anyway, I ran at an average 9:19 pace, good for 1st in my AG.  Not speedy, but not bad considering it was on packed  snow and I ran in screw shoes.  It was in the 20's and starting to snow.  The RD got a laugh when he said the course was marked with flour... 

Holly - a $200 bottle of wine?  Wow.

Jeanne, I hope your tailbone feels better!  I'd love to see that video, btw...

Leslie - what is this "mowing" that you speak of?

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Leslie - what is this "mowing" that you speak of?

Come back for a visit and we'll put you to work so you can learn happily educate you on the subject.

Congrats on the AG.

Leslie
                              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

Congratulations on the AG win, wild!

tet--I'm having a real hard time posting in a thread that is rooting for any team not from Minnesota.  It's sad, I know...but my loyalty to Minnesota teams was instilled in me by my mother about 56 years ago and I can't seem to shake it...no matter hard I try.

It sounds like you've had a couple of pretty fum days, Jay.

Holly--for $200, you can buy a whole lot of good beer.

You have a whole lot more patience and discipline than I do, Robin.  Good luck with your recovery.

I did 16 miles in 1:54:02, today.  My hands are still frozen.

Okay--I'm hungry and tired, so I'm going in search of food...then lying down and watching some football...but I won't be cheering for any teams...because Mom is always watching me.