Masters Running

Sunday fun run day 7/17 (Read 503 times)

In our little group, we came across something I've never seen before in the city, a raccoon.  We were running in a historic district and apparently the water pipes are historic because water was coming up out of the street.  At the bottom of the hill, there's a drain so it was like a river flowing into it, and there he was in the water.  We joked about it being a trail run!  A little under the 4 miles planned.

"I didn’t run a race until I was 41 and that was a marathon! Let that sink in for a minute." -me

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

That raccoon had the right idea in this weather! In keeping with Opie's run, I too ran 4 miles but it was a struggle for me today. SteveP must feel like he is back in NC. A new person moved into a house down the road where I have to run, unless I drive somewhere. He has a huge pen full of chickens, and he has now started leaving the door open so they can roam. Now, I like eggs, chicken dinners, chicken soup and so on.....but I do NOT like chickens chasing me. Birds in general freak me out a bit, so the other day I called the township because he is not allowed to have so many or let them wander. Now I wait for results. Happy Sunday runs to all and congratulations to our 3 goddess racers yesterday....Wild child, Erika and Mariposa!!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
      It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Jlynne

Lots of critter talk in the posts this morning. Mary - what a visual I'm getting. You're running down your road getting chased by a bunch of "angry birds"  Big grin

Lots of great running yesterday. Congrats to Wildchild, Mariposai, Erika and anyone else I might have missed. You all continue to amaze me with how fast you run.

Nice to see you back on your bike Leslie. How's the foot holding up?

TwoCat - is the popsicle still on the stick when you cross the finish line? Wouldn't that taste good after a hot, sweaty run?

6 miles for me this morning at a 13:58 pace. Hot and humid, just the way I like it Cool This tops off a 36 mile week for me. Small potatoes by all of your standards, but that's the most miles I've had in one week (albeit walking) since my half marathon training last spring. Next weekend is the husband/wife tournament at our club and DH and I won it last year. I was hoping for clearance to play but I don't think that's gonna happen. The doc won't even let me lap swim yet, so I don't think swinging a golf club is on the list of "approved activities" either.

Off to fill the baby pool for Will and Ben. Have a great Sunday!

TammyinGP

Nice run Opie. You are going to be a trail runner yet!

Not sure I wuld like to be chased by chickens either . . . actually, I've never even heard of chickens chasing people. Guess I've only been around lazy chickens before.

Jlynne - enjoy your day with Will and Ben! I would love to have a 36 mile week. Haven't had one of those since marathon training in the spring.

Woke up to a rainy morning. very odd for July. We normally go about 4 months without a drop of rain. My garden and lawn are loving the rain (and I'm liking that I don't have to water them). And I do enjoy the coolness of a light rainy morning. I'm just glad my husband is down in California where it's not raining, because he does not like the rain in summer. he'd live in the heat of phoenix in a heartbeat. 

will try to get some more miles on my new shoes a bit later this morning.

Tammy

...knocked out 24min canerun at SoccerFields,

not in

the mood.

at 20min I heard TheGeese honking in...........

Suddenly

I morphed

into

A GooseKillingWraithFromHell

and

awaited my chance

these things are getting smarter,

they flew off.

...........so if I'm not Running that well,

at least I can still scare Wildlife

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

So I am running along this morning and some angry geese trot by muttering about canes! hmmm....I needed you TW!

Just joking about the geese here this morning, but as I was heading out for my run this morning at 7:00 am ,a car full of young guys drove by me and yelled something about wanting a beer, Hunh?!....no, whoops, they were saying: "There's a Bear!"  Yikes...Indeed, I turn around and a huge black bear is lumbering across the street right where I had just been running. A beer would have been better. The critters are restless everywhere. Sorry about the chickens Mary. Our neighbor with chickens has hers in a coop and fenced-in yard and no way she'll let them out---they'd be hawk and coyote food right away!

Okay, running----ran 11.5 miles solo at about 8:15 pace and then looped up back to the house and the kiddo joined me for another 5 miles. 16.5 miles for me and 5 for him and all good. Hot and sunny today and Hudson is already panting hard and camped out on the cold tile floor in the downstairs bathroom.

Go USA! Women's world cup soccer final on soon, then going to pick up super granny for dinner with us here---mellow day. 

Dave59

Raccoons, chickens, geese and bears.  Wish I could top that but I haven't seen anything. 

Rest day for me.

I was tracking a friend running a 100 miler at Lake Tahoe.  (I had met him at the JFK 50 a few years back when I was carrying stuff around for someone else.)  The cold and elevation did him in and he was pulled off about an hour of passing the halfway point by a doctor.  He was having trouble breathing and his inhaler wasn't helping.  Must be tough to train in Hawaii (where he lives) and then try to run 100 miles where it's 30's and snow on the ground.  The course goes between 7000-9000 feet (over and over and over).

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

With Raccoons being nocturnal, he was probably rabid!  So Bears and Rabid Raccoons... too much!

On my run I came accross a pond with such loud bull frogs I thought it might be a Budweiser commercial

18 miles on dirt sucking down lots of water.

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Congrats to all the racers yesterday!  Lots of great performances and excellent AG placing!

This morning was Weekend 1 of the marathon training runs sponsored by the local running store.  Decided to join them mostly to socialize, maybe meet some nice eligible females.  After about two miles I decided to chase down the lead runners since one of them was sporting a pony tail.  Took some effort but was worth it - she was very nice - not eligible, but I enjoyed chatting with her as we clipped off five miles at just under 7 min pace.  She won her age group at the big race I was in last weekend.  Maybe she has a sister...  A cooldown around the Lakes for 11.1 at 7:38 avg.  Weekly totals: 61.8 miles running, 59.7 biking.

Enjoy your day folks!

Skip

Racoons and chickens, geese and bears - Oh  My!

JLynne - Maybe this year you'll have to do the golf cart driving and the swinging if a cold beverage.  Oh yeah, and provide unsolicited advice: "Honey, you're lifting your head."  "Stand a little closer to the ball, honey."  "Sweetheart, give it a little more follow-thru." Big grin  Good job on the miles, too! 

TW - You and I should hang out today.  I'm not in the mood, either, although, as I sit here looking at my belly pooch, I know I need to work out.

The foot is a bit irritated today, so whatever I end up doing, it's going to be  "Be Kind to the Foot Day."  The only thing I have to do is go see "Harry Potter" at 2:50. Cool

Leslie
                      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Back out of touch again, so will need to look back at yesterday's racing results.

I'll add two toads to today's critter count, and on yesterday's hike into the spot we were doing the aid station for the trail series, we saw a doe with her fawn and a chipmunk,  both first-ever sightings for the two inner-city students I had working with me.

9 easy miles of trails early this morning as the temps climbed up to around 90°F.  Thankfully, I dropped off two frozen bottles of water at my half way point before I started....... and by the time I got there to swap out the empties, there was still a bit of ice left in them.  Nothing like a mid run application of ice packs to the kidneys to help cool off!

Stay cool everyone!

.....Nancy The road to hell is paved....... run trails!

Can't believe I wimped out of a 2 mile charity run/walk in town yesterday just because it was raining cats and dogs.  No raccoons  though.  Just went back  to bed after peeking out the window , Not like me, and DH thought I must be sick.  However, after the rain stopped, in the afternoon, I had a good 2.6 run on my lake road.  BTW, econo got chased by crows on her run a couple of days ago.  Bravo to the pretty and very fast racer ladies of yesterday!   Any guys, too - well, maybe not pretty, but very fast racers. 

Marathon Maniac #957

actually, I've never even heard of chickens chasing people. Guess I've only been around lazy chickens before.

Maybe you live near the boneless chicken ranch....Wink

Jlynne – so good to see you running again!

CNYRunner – a bear – yikes!

Skip - nice week there!

20 miles for me this morning, the first of four I plan to do before the Equinox: 15 miles outside starting at 71º and 96%, getting to 81º and 86% by the time I got home, where I did 5 more miles on the TM in the garage, shirtless and in front of a fan, watching Flashpoint. (I know, kind of wimping out, but the sun was really blazing by then, and the fan was so tempting.  Next time I'll get up earlier so I don't have that excuse.)

This was the first time in a long time where I kept finding myself running too fastI wanted the early miles to be slow (10:20-ish) so I could try for negative splits, but every time I looked at the Garmin I was running more like 9:20-9:40.  This lasted until about mile #12, when the sun was high and I began slowing down.  So, the first 15 miles (ave pace 9:46), the last five miles at 10:20.

Still, it went better than I had expected.

Anyone watch the BBC channel?  In spite of the fact that I care little for cars, my son now has me hooked on Top Gear. Hilarious.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

...I vote CNY Wins the ''Critters  Event''

....A BEAR!!!!!!   good grief......

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Playing catchup on the women's world cup so dont' spill the beans, anyone!!  right now we're just about the end of regular time.

Got hot early this morning--73 when I made it up at 7:30, and 81 when I got back from 3.6 miles.  I stopped at each of the bubblers along the way. 

then a little cross-mowing and other yard work.

Extra time now--hope it's a good ending.................................

Not Sad

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.