Masters Running

Friday 22 March 2024 All By Myself (Read 33 times)

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

37°

4.11 miles

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

Not really all by myself but I thought we should acknowledge Eric Carmen (a Cleveland born musician)

All by myself

Don't want to be all by myself anymore

All by myself

Don't want to live all by myself anymore

Hard to be sure

Sometimes I feel so insecure

And love so distant and obscure

Remains the cure

But that was NOT on the radio when I was leaving the swamp this morning! It was a repeat from a previous morning's earworm!

Tick tock do do do do oo

tick tock dooooo

And then... I heard a song new to me!

Worry no more
      Oh, worry no more
      There's an open door for you
      Worry no more
      Oh, worry no more
      There's an open door for you

I like that song sung by Amos Lee

Yesterday I won 60 cents at Mahjong! Lil Sister won 90 cents! We played at Peggie's house. Lil Sister baked a Washington pie but we all were having so much fun playing Mahjong, we forgot to slice the pie!  So I got to bring it home! Washington pie is a variation of Shoo Fly pie. Lil sister used either Mema's or Nanna's recipe? Idk but it was delicious with a cup of coffee this morning.

Now I'm in a post prandial stupor and have forgotten the posts from yesterday.

The rrs gets a new hip on Monday.

Have a good Friday the week before Good Friday

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

C-R

Hey RCG (and all to follow).

Nice workout. I find it interesting to read lyrics to songs. It's fun to see the artists version of poetry.

Kettlebell and core workout this morning. May run or ride at lunch. Spring might be on the calendar but it hasn't arrived just yet.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Marathon Maniac #957

Howdy folks,

Our game night with the kids and their SOs last night got off to an inauspicious start when my car wouldn't start as I was leaving work.  Fortunately my boss gave me a jump start and so I just got home about 10 minutes later than planned.  DH picked up the pizzas, and as the kids and I were eating, he ran to the Auto Zone a few blocks away and got a new battery.  The game we played last night was a dominos game called Mexican Train.  Everyone seemed to have a good time and they all agreed to try to make this a once-monthly habit.  Next month I think they want to play a card game called Five Crowns.

When I voted this week (Ohio Primary) they told me my DL had just expired (on 3/8). I was totally surprised - I really thought I had a couple of years left to go.  Guess I'll be heading to the BMV tomorrow morning.

No run for me today, swimming instead - 40 times across the pool (1,000 yards) with a few seconds of rest at each end.

Happy Friday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

coastwalker

Mornin' Masters.

Thanks for the start and the good lyrics, RCG, and congrats on the big Majong win! Nice 4.11 miler at the swamp this morning. Best wishes to the rrs for a successful operation on Monday.

Good k&c workout this morning, Norm.

Good work at the pool, Holly, and I'm glad that game night with the kids seemed to be a success, and that the car battery issue didn't get in the way too much. I'm glad that having a (recently) expired DL didn't prevent you from being able to vote last week.

Last night, DW and I went to see Jeff Lorber and his Fusion Band at a jazz venue in Portsmouth. I know jazz is not everyone's cup of tea, but Sonny Emory was one of the best drummers I've ever seen/heard, and Lorber and (left-handed) bass player Jimmy Haslip were very much on top of their game as well. It made for a late night, but a very good night.

So I slept in this morning, and was up and heading toward the door at 5:10. I've got a bit of a cold (tested negative for Covid), so I didn't want to work too hard this morning. But it was 25° and quite windy, so I had to keep moving pretty well to generate enough heat to keep my extremities comfortable. I went 4.35 RW miles at a good tempo pace.

I have work to get done this morning, a contractor coming at 2:00 to talk about some work we are contemplating on the house, and some of our neighbors coming over at 5:00 for a little weekend-starting get-together. I'm looking forward to a (mostly) quiet weekend.

Have a greta Friday.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Tramps

Thanks for the start, RCG. "Prandial" good one. I had to look that up.

Holly--glad game night went well and battery was an easy replacement.

Leslie--Ugh on the roof. You must have some serious damage way beyond just a shingle replacement to warrant that price. No gable vent or ridge vent? I can see where that would cause problems over time. Do you have insulation in the attic? If so, there must be issues there too. Some of this could be fairly straightforward DIY if your DH (and friends?) are up for it. Rent a dumpster and pull shingles and rotted wood, get sheet goods and shingles dropped on your roof. rent a nail gun, etc. I hope you're able to find an affordable solution.

Mike--more snow? Brrr.

I find it interesting to read lyrics to songs.

I remember when the internet was still new and lyrics were easily available for the first time. I'd read some and think, "Wait, THAT'S what they're singing?!"  Everything from the classic "Louie, Louie" to Aerosmith's "Mama Kin," and Pearl Jam's "Yellow Ledbetter" had been incomprehensible to me. Kids today have it so easy.

Speaking of music, Leslie, I've been listening to a nice new-to-me country/folk singer named Margo Cilker from your neck of the woods (more or less) who you might like. She even name drops "Fickle Hill" and "Humboldt County"in a song called "I Remember Carolina."

Early 21 miles on the bike on a quite chilly mid-30s morning. I was definitely bundled up for this one. Thankfully not much wind and plenty of sunshine.

Weekend's coming!

Be safe. Be kind.

Thanks, RCG.  Nice lyrics.  We went to a singer-songwriter show last night and it was awesome, as always.  The stories behind the hit songs are great, and this particular group of singers actually had really good voices.

Holly- I've played very few games as an adult, but Mexican Train is one I have played (at my friends' house in Nevada) and I really liked it.  Ugh on the car battery but glad it's already handled.

5.1 miles for me this morning.  53 and partly cloudy.

We have a one day women's retreat at church tomorrow and I have to give a short talk.  I wrote it on the plane coming back from California and I think it's good, if I do say so myself.  It has a little bit of a running theme and is about how we can use our passions and gifts to bless ourselves- but also to bless others.  I recount a story when was I about 42 there was a race in Dallas called The Rose.  It was only for women over 40.  My son was about 11 the first time I ran The Rose and he was a spectator- and a top junior runner.  When I finished, I stood with him as we watched the slower females finish their races, many with up stretched hands and joy at their accomplishment.  He started to make fun of their slowness and I told him “look what they are doing.  They are doing something for themselves that everyone at home on the couch is not doing.”  He didn’t respond, but at his own cross country meet later that week, after he had finished well in first place, I watched him run back along the course and find the trailing runners and run in with them, offering encouragement.  I had blessed him with a lesson at The Rose, and he was able to pass this blessing forward by helping other young runners.  

Anyway- no long run with the group for me tomorrow because of the retreat, but Sunday looks like better weather anyway.

Happy Friday. 

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

anneb

Morning all. TGIF.

KSA - love that story. I'm sure the talk will go well.

Leslie - do you have an attic fan? I forgot that we had to replace ours this last time.

Its winter-y out there today. I woke up to snow on the roofs/grass. The ground is too warm for the snow to stick to the pavement, but still... just a reminder that in Chicago, spring is really just an extension of winter 

2.85 miles this AM, in 31* and snow showers. I was quite wet by the time I got home.

SteveP - love those Dunkin pictures. He looks like he's doing well.

Anne

TammyinGP

Leslie, sorry to hear of the roof cost.

A couple summers ago we had so much moss on our roof (typical of where we live!), that we thought for sure we'd have to replace it and were dreading the cost. We got a roof cleaner to come out and scrape/clean/treat the roofs (the usual shingle roof) and he said he was surprised that our roof was still in fairly good shape. (our house is close to 30 yrs old now), He thought we should be able to get another 5-8 yrs out of it. But I know that is a big expense coming down the pipeline.

speaking of expenses, it never fails that right when you finally have no car pymts, something goes on that will likely be a big bill. I actually have 2 car pymts left but now my combination sensor on the drivers door is only working intermittently (touch pad along the door frame to unlock the door w/o a key), AND my heat only functions in defrost or HI mode. No in between of setting the cabin temperature. So gotta get those two things fixed.

Glad you had a fun family game night Holly (but boo on the car battery!). We've played Mexican train with friends when we were camping last summer and it was a rainy day so just hung out in the trailer and played that for what seemed like hours!  lol.  It was a fun game.

Have only run once this week but will get in a run this afternoon. Hopefully it'll be outside but depends on how big/heavy this rain is that should be here by this afternoon. I'm dialing back the running a bit this week and re-assessing my race goals that I have either registered for or have penciled in for this spring/summer.  But no worries Leslie - I'm still planning on Grasshopper Peak! Not going to miss a weekend hanging out with you!

Tammy

Morning, Glories -

Glad you had a good game night with your kiddos, Holly.  I love playing games, but can't get The Hub to play anymore.

KSA - That's a great lesson you taught your son.  Good on you!

Tramps - Thanks for the heads up on Margo Cilker.  I'll have to listen to some more of her music.

Nothing for me so far.  It was a late night due to Bonkos and dropping off my 3 companions.  I didn't get to bed until almost 11:00.  That's very late for me.  Ugh!  And I'm on a not winning or losing streak, so I didn't take home any moola.

Nope, no attic fan. In fact, I don't know if that's a thing around here.  And as for friends to help out with putting on a new roof - all of those types of friends went away when The Hub got in trouble.  It was friends, though, who did the roof 18+ years ago when we needed one, so at least we got one new roof without having to pay through the nose.  Thankfully, when we've had minor plumbing issues, we had a neighbor down the street, a plumber, who has helped us out for a lot less than what it would cost to hire a company, and we've called on his services more than once.

It's Friday ~~ Enjoy ~~

Leslie
                      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Thanks RCG, Jay and those who get going well before most of us West Coasters.

RCG - sorry about Eric Carmen.

Steve - are you moving to the dunes or something?

Watch out for any Woman-in-the-Dunes over

there too or you might be there a long time.

Tramps - me too easy.

I especially like the "Search-a-Song" option at the bottom of the screen for audible searches with the Google mike image for nailing down the dates of the oldies station's Muzak-like continuum of five-or-six popularies but, in the absence of any DJ's anymore, without any reference to when they were popular so I can relate to where I was and what I was doing at the time as well as identifying the classics I usually revert to when the oldies station switches into their also canned fiv e-or-six minutes of commercials.

I remember when the internet was still new and lyrics were easily available for the first time. I'd read some and think, "Wait, THAT'S what they're singing?!"  Everything from the classic "Louie, Louie" to Aerosmith's "Mama Kin," and Pearl Jam's "Yellow Ledbetter" had been incomprehensible to me. Kids today have it so easy.

When I was confined to the walker over Christmas, I was kind of kicking myself for not waiting until the new year so I could maximize morning circuits through all the holiday lighings but no regrets now with the nearby pocket parks and residential streets featuring the blooming cherries, . . . except for a three-pronged twig somebody brought back to put on the dining table to frame the morning sunset reflection off the downtown buildings and for some prandial observations on the first wedge of 70 or 80 Canada's on their way back up to the northland.  

Predicted rains still holding off for a dry cut through the Seattle University gardens on the way to the week's second session with Dr. Torture after the morning Sumo highlights (with Mr. Newbie to the senior brackets losing his 12th match yesterday to tie and not beat the 11-straight inaugural wins of the Grand Champion from the sixties when I was over there and first being introduced to their national sport) and some looping down and through Chinatown for the still-full blooming Yoshino's at the Japan sister city park down there.  Yippee. 

ps Jay - have a nice quiet weekend, maybe even sleeping in if there's little enough on the agenda but I doubt it.   

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Dave59

Rest day for me.

Signs of Spring yesterday:

- Lawn company came by and gave our yard the first cut of the year

- I took the cover off my flattop grill and cooked up a ribeye for dinner

I am amazed at you DIY folks. I would never attempt to do my own roof. I know former roofers who were injured falling off roofs. Shattered legs, broken backs, etc. It isn't worth the risk. These days, roofers show up with a crew and have everything done in half a day.

When our condo got a new roof it was discovered that it wasn't vented properly so they took care of that. There were no vents at the top and it shortens the life of the roof.

dnaff

Dave, my last roof took 15 days, though that is certainly an anomaly.  We could have done it ourselves more quickly

it has been snowing or sleeting all day.  Welcome Spring.  The flowers look so sad.

I rotate my workouts between biking, weights, yoga, and run/walk trying to something different each day.  The choice is between yoga and a run/walk.  Given the weather I think yoga will win.

Hey Surly, congrats to your Ducks yesterday!

evanflein

We had our roof redone in 2018 to the tune of $18,500. That included taking out the chimney to the woodstove and sealing that up. We had a leak around the chimney here in the living room, and that stopped it. Hate that ugly woodstove, but it's still sitting here. I have plants and pictures on it.

When we bought our house, there was no bathroom fan in the downstairs unit, and our fan vented just into the attic. Apparently that's a thing, but it's a bad thing. Since then, we installed a fan downstairs that vents out by the back door, our bathroom fan now vents out below the roof, and the kitchen fan now vents outside above our kitchen window (more or less). It was incredible how poorly done the house was, but I guess it's not uncommon. Seems like you're setting yourself up for failure by doing it that way.

Holly, you should get your battery checked. Needing a jump is usually a bad sign of more trouble to come. Nice playing with the kids. My DIL wanted to start a family game night awhile back and we did a few times, but life got busy and we stopped doing it years ago. Might be fun to start up when Riley can be more involved.

We're finally getting some warm sunny weather, which frequently means many of you are getting another dose of winter. Sorry about that (not). With the hardpack gone off the driveway and the deck cleared off, it's really starting to feel more like spring will really show up! We typically have snow until late April and this year is probably no different. Then a couple weeks of brown and mud everywhere and then *boom* we get "green up" usually in mid-May when the trees all explode in green in a matter of hours. It's pretty cool.

With the warmer temps, I've been out walking more (our bike path got cleared this week!), in addition to my morning bike (stationary bike) rides. Currently I'm reading "Dinners with Ruth," a memoir by Nina Totenberg and her friendship with Ruth Bader Ginsburg. I'm enjoying it. Also working on "Killers of the Flower Moon" but that's a paperback so can't read it on the bike. Almost done with it.

I was going to +1 on Dave's comment about DIY. We do a lot of stuff on our apartment (our lower unit) ourselves, but I'm ready to outsource some things. We're taking all the baseboard heater covers off and it's proving to be a bigger job than DH thought. I think we can find someone to come in and finish that job for not too much. Also, he wants to paint the house himself, but we've had a painted garage front, and that's as far as he got, for 4 years now. It's time to cough up the bucks to hire a company to come paint the damn house.

Marathon Maniac #957

Erika - we just bought a new battery, no point in fussing with it.  My car is a 2018, and that battery is the one that came with it new, so it was time.  Snow until late April - bummer! No snow here, and everything is in bloom, but it's about 48 degrees and rainy, so not exactly lovely out, but I will take it over snow any day!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."