Masters Running

Last Chance Daily, 12.31.14 (Read 32 times)

Mike E

MM #5615

Great news, Deez!  Thanks for letting us know.

evanflein

Deez, that is such awesome news! What a relief! I can't imagine how good that much feel.

Jay's plans do sound like fun. I like how everyone seems to celebrate New Year's in their own way. Some, like Holly, are fine letting it in the door by itself. Others feel the need to suffer in a hugh crowd (with no porta potties!) in the wind to watch an over-the-top crystal ball usher in the year. And many have their own plans, either traditions or see-how-we-feel approaches.

For us, it's sort of a mixed bag. We don't go out, for the most part, because there are too many nuts on the road. There is a fireworks display (the Sparktackular) up on campus starting at 8 pm, and it's the biggest/best fireworks show we get all year here. So.... we might try to head over towards campus to see that but don't want to get caught up in the awful traffic when it's over. We have a bottle of very nice champagne that a friend gave us for our 25th anniversary this summer. We've saved it for a special occasion, first thinking it'd be the garage being done but that never really happened... so we'll crack that baby up tonight and finish it tomorrow with our crab-and-eggs we like to have on New Year's morning.

Today we have low 30's and freezing rain. Lovely. DH went in to his office but I'm staying home. Lots of cleanup to do here still! I'll get a run in later but it'll be short and hilly. I passed my 2,000 mile goal awhile ago and was thinking I'd try for 2,400 but this month has been a hugh drop in mileage so pretty much dashed that plan.

Be safe everyone, and have a great time tonight, whatever you end up doing!

C-R

Awesome Deez! Now that's worth a New Years celbrations.

I did get out for 4.4 in 30 degrees. Thanks for motivating me gang.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

mrrun

Deez - awesome news - congrats to the family

and a Happy, healthy New Year to everyone - we're in the low-key group, altho we may end up my DS's for a bit,

marj

No final 2014 run for me today...The crud found it's way into the Schmit house.

Sorry to hear that, Slo. Hope you didn't pick up the germs at that Packer game.

Great news Deez!

New underwear is always a good thing, Jay. Remember when your mother used to tell you to not leave the house unless your underwear were clean and there were no holes in them? Oh wait. That was MY mother

Really Tramps? No time for a 338 miler this afternoon?!  What WAS your goal for 2014 anyway??

We will have a low-key New Year's Eve as well. Been up since 3:30 for work, then stayed for a quick workout at the Y. I have to work tomorrow as well, and it's going to be a miserably busy day with all of the New Years resolution folks coming in to join. I always dread the next two months because of the sheer madness. But, come March 1 most of these people will be gone and back to their normal lives...

2014 has not been the best of years for me. Like Holly, there are some things going on that I wish were not. Unfortunately, they are out of my control to change.  I just try to remember the Serenity Prayer....

Happy New Year to all - stay safe and good runs for everyone in 2015!

Dave59

Great News Deez4!

I slept in and then puttered around so by the time I actually got to the gym I only had time for a couple miles on the treadmill.  I ended up skipping the weights and coming back home.  I really needed to get to work on time today.

No mileage goals for me, so nothing to miss.  My 1300+ number is a new high number for me passing the 1200 from a couple years ago.  Next year I'll keep trying to hit 100+ each month and see what happens.

Fantastic news Deez!!! Oh Denise, I am so happy for you and the family and wow....what relief you must feel!

Hurray!!

Windy and cold here but bright sunshine and still no snow....means good footing for running! Ran about 10 miles this morning and met up with a few teammates for the middle miles. We have a team goals and dreams meeting in two weeks and that will be fun. I stopped tracking my mileage consistently awhile back, so I am not sure what this year's mileage might be----2700 +/-?

Fun plans indeed Jay!

Mellow and quiet plans here. The kiddo and I have been playing Dr. Who Mad Libs, watching football (Wow TCU), surfing the web, hanging with Hudson and just enjoying family time. We'll listen to the BBC ring in the year while having our annual New Year's Eve fondue and then hit the hay early. Aamos, I wanted to call one of my college buddies who keeps posting all her photos from Sydney, Australia. She's there celebrating her 25th wedding anniversary. I want to ask if the first day of 2015 will be a good one, ha, ha.  And fwiw, my stress fracture almost two years ago emerged after trying to change my foot strike too much. Each to her/his own, but I was rarely injured before all that and haven't been injured since and am mostly a heel and mid-foot striker. Worked for 38 years so far....

A colleague and I bought out the founding partners of our consulting firm earlier this year and our accountant suggested that the ONLY thing we change in the first year as co-CEOs is our underwear! Good advice on lots of levels. 

Whoa! I think I just saw Tramps run by on his quest to get those last few hundred miles!

,,,YAY deez//..........now go post in fatozzig's ''Best of 2014''

.............I think you have the Winning Entry

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Thanks jay but no last chances needed as, for the second time in 38 years, I’ve already broken my goal not to exceed 500 miles of annual running, this time by 15 miles.   Funny things was, though, that the extra miles were just as much fun too. .
                    DEEZ - what a horrible scare. Give your Ironman boy a slap on the back from someone who knows exactly how he’ll feel when he gets to do it too because I still do too, . . . even though it was 27 years, 2 months and 21 days ago, not that I would remember it as if it happened yesterday or anything like that.  
                    Me too on the sleep jay.  I was so tired yesterday that a pre-dinner nap turned in to such a deep sleep that it was like 7am on the digital clock when I woke up out of it. It all seemed so strange, like a parallel world or something from where I should have been as I went back to the nonstop drafting/typing, etc. I’ve been doing for the Japan trip next week. No TV so I checked the world time clock URL for the New Year’s celebrations that should have should have been going on in some io my favorite haunts of old over there but they were all mixed up still saying it was only a little after noon over there when it should have been midnight.  I went back to dratting/typing, etc. for about an hour or so,  . . . until it finally dawned on me it was 7pm here and still Tuesday night after a two hour nap of the deepest all-night kind. No wonder getting old’s so much fun.
                    ps amy - check out injury-free proponents Nicholas Romanov’s posetech.com and danny dreyer’s chirunning.com to see if their mid-foot advocacy (and Romanov’s “barefoot” shoes) might address your malady. Otherwise, maybe do try casual barefoot running on the hard-packed beaches down there for foot strength work. good luck.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

TammyinGP

short little 3.5 miles on icy trails with my son. He reached his goal of 1000 miles for the year. Smile

Tammy

evanflein

Good for David! Nice to reach the goal after working so hard for it recently.

Tet, that's why I don't like naps. I always feel so disoriented later. Nice job on the miles for you this year!

I spent the day cleaning bathrooms, doing dishes, organizing stuff and catching up on a backlog of filing. Had the local NPR station streaming on my iPad while I was going through months worth of papers. Had good piles for the recycle bin and the shredder when I was done. Temps were in the low 30's and snow was coming down in big fat flakes. I figured if I was going to get a run in outside, I'd better get out soon! So... 5.1 hilly miles in a couple inches of new snow. Wow, that sure adds a difficulty factor. Glad that's done.

So I ended up with 139.8 for the month, lowest month all year by far. Not sure how that happened, except that I know lots of travel pretty much wore me out at times and I just couldn't deal with the thought of running. It wouldn't be such a thing in the summer, but when "going for a run" means 10 minutes of layering up, finding lights and reflective vest, spikes for the shoes, etc, etc, it gets easy to say "Bleh, forget it!" Hopefully now that my treadmill is ready to go I won't have such an easy excuse to not run.... Our temps start dropping after tomorrow, with highs of -5 by the weekend. Glad I got out there today when I could!

I slept in and then puttered around so by the time I actually got to the gym I only had time for a couple miles on the treadmill.  I ended up skipping the weights and coming back home.  I really needed to get to work on time today.

Dave, don't you work from home? How would anyone know if you are late. At least you got to the gym for some miles.

deez, Yippee! Answered prayers are wonderful. So relieved for you.

re: new underwear, I saw this on the news tonight.

"In Brazil, Ecuador, Bolivia, and Venezuela, it’s considered lucky to wear special underwear on New Year’s Eve; in cities like São Paulo and La Paz, market vendors start displaying brightly colored underpants a few days before the holiday. The most popular colors are red and yellow: red is supposed to bring love in the coming year, and yellow is supposed to bring money."

I have been thinking of Mariposai and her papa in Paraguay, sending hugs to her and the family.

it was -12 below here yesterday and felt colder than that today with the wind.  We will get a reprieve in the 20's for a few days, then back into the deep freeze. We all brought food to the office for lunch so did not even have to leave until 5pm.

We went to a comedian/magician who was supposedly on Jay Leno and other shows, and had own awards. He was somewhat entertaining, but wish we would have saved the $40 for our remodeling project or our Alaska trip.  MrStarr has the basement almost completely gutted, just the old fireplace to knock out. It was a wood- burning one but we couldn't use it because the liner was bad. We plan to replace it with a gas one.

I wish I could run more than a couple of minutes at a time but plan to use the Couch25K program to get back on track. No goals for mileage this year, just to be consist with exercising.

Happy New Year everyone.

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

,,,YAY deez//..........now go post in fatozzig's ''Best of 2014''

.............I think you have the Winning Entry

Absolutely!!  Yay, Deez!!!!

Leslie
                            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance