Masters Running

Monday's Daily, 9.29.14 (Read 41 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

Just popping in to congratulate Starr and the Saint (oh, and Ribs too) for their great racing on Saturday, and the VT crew for an embarrassing (yeah, right...) finish by Mike, 2nd & 3rd AG placement by Karin (Happy Birthday!) and Carolyn (nice PR too!), and a picture-perfect (we'll have to wait to see 'em) race followed by a night under the stars for Holly. Thanks to Marj also for the updates along the way. Congrats also to Tselbs and Tet for some terrific racing no their part, and to Stumpy, BC, Tramps, Mariposai, Aamos for their long runs, Lamerunner for her family's long hike, and best wishes for an uneventful day to Evanflein after her long A$$ travel day.

Today is an SRD for me, which I need: I'm a bit achy after yesterday's RW training session, which I followed with a few hours of yard work; kayaking with DW (including a pull-in at a favorite bar/restaurant for a drink & snack); and then grocery shopping and more housework before we got to cooking dinner.

Have a greta Monday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Thanks for the start Jay!!  Great running around here this weekend!!  Sounds like the VT 50 was a great success all around!!

I ran 19.2 (by my watch) that was really 19.7 because I accidentally stopped my watch at one point - mapped out later the portion I could best tell was missing and fortunately it was only .5 miles.  Working with salt stick tablets to see if they settle ok in my stomach and so far doing good.  I ran a few miles easy then tried running 2 miles marathon pace followed by 1 mile easy x 4 sets - felt good but still running those marathon pace miles a little too fast so need to work on that!  Also was losing steam mile 17 into mile 18 then all if a sud

den felt renewed and ran my last mile faster than all the rest!

what is the thought around here for the day after long run?  easy few miles or rest day?

Have a great Monday my friends!  Safe travels for all!

denise

I had an absolutely wonderful weekend, helped along by the continued beautiful summer-like weather we've finally been having all week. On Saturday, our "Friends of the Clinton River Trail" group put on our 10th (and final) Fall Classic fund-raiser bike event and it ran so smoothly and everyone had such a good time that we're almost 2nd-guessing our decision to call it quits.

Then, at the last minute, I signed up for the annual Brooksie Way event that's held right in my neighborhood (recently named one of the "Ten Best Small Cities in America" by Money Magazine!). I've done the signature half-marathon here a few times, but wasn't trained up for that distance so opted for the 10K. That route was held on the roads of the Oakland University campus that I used for years as a training route back when I ran before work in the early AM and then posted daily about it on CoolRunning, so I was well aware of how hilly it was and where the worst of the hills were. It paid off.

So even though I ran a couple minutes slow due to the tough route, I managed a 56:48 which was good for an AG win in the 65-69 bracket (and I actually would have won even if it had been a 60-69 grouping). Not only that, but it was my birthday yesterday and a great present to celebrate my 68th! Two more years and I can run the half-marathon in a new AG :-).

I finished off a great day and great weekend by going out with my DW to a fancy local restaurant. Can you tell that I was really geeked about all this? :-)

Now let's here from some other weekend racers and runners!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Sayhey! MM#130

COngrats ALL you VT runners, even the red-faced ones (hmfph! to that.)  So glad you all made it there, first of all, and that it was such a grand time.  Nice work grabbing up the AG awards, Carolyn and Karin.

And way cool, Doug!  No, you don't sound geeky, just happy, and we like that!  Congrats!!!

Deez, sounds as if you are ready for Philly NOW!  Wow and Wowzer.  Really good nearly 20 miler there.  As for your question,  I like to run easy the day after a long run,  maybe take a day off later in the week.  It just feels good to kind of "unkink" the day after.  I wear the over-stuffed-up Skechers I have and just meander.

Hiya Erika, just across Alligator Alley!  Hope you get in a few runs in the am.  We're supposed to get our first "cool front" in about a week, sorry you're just missing it.  Not too bad today, though, if you got up pre-dawn...and we know you went to sleep early enoough, given SUnday's g'night post!

Since only ran mid-range runs this weekend, put in 8 this morning, but definitely slowish, over 9 minute miles.

Uneventful weekend but for cutting my hair extremely short.

Have friendly Mondays,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Mariposai

Good morning you all.

I can't wait to see pictures and more tales of the VT50 weekend.

Denise, after a long run of say, 20+ I like to run  2 or 3 miles easy the next day, then rest on the second day. For shorter than 20 miles I just take it easy the next day and then keep my normal routine.

Gorgeous sunrise run this morning. 4 easy miles.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

King of PhotoShop

Deez, I feel strongly that the day after a key workout, whether LR, race or some speed, do NOT take the next day off. Do a little something, even if a 2 mile slow jog, just to get stuff moving again.

Speaking of which, I'm still recovering from Saturday's race, just 2.7 slow miles for me today.  I've been racing too much, and I have another one coming up Saturday, then the rest of October will be NO racing, but more LSD stuff in prep for two big Half Marathons this fall.

Once again, congrats to all you Vermonters!  Spareribs

Congratulations to all of the weekend racers.  My sympathies to the legs of those returning from Vermont.   Remind me to stay away from RA birthday party celebrations.

Ran today with a running buddy of mine from a few years ago.  She quit running after she had a baby and is in fits and starts picking it up again.  Her DH wants her to run and race again.   (She is wicked fast without training! )  Our last run prior to today was with Mariposai.  Today we went off for 5 miles and she is still wicked fast without training!  I am not sure what I am going to do if she gets faster.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

It's great to hear a little about and from the VT crew.  There were good performances and pictures.  I look forward to more details.  roch, nice 10K with 1st in AG to help celebrate your birthday.

Nice long runs for mari and deez.

This morning, it was in the low 50s and almost calm.  I did 4 miles at a 10:51 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

All I can say about the VT50 runners and especially the 50-mile folks is HOLY CRAP!!! Plus the following:

MikeE - 10:13 for a tough 50-miler is an absolutely awesome job.  I hear something on a podcast this weekend where this gal who runs 100 said people need to stop apologizing for what not meeting their race goals.  First - you are running.  Second - you ran a hard 50-miler.  Third - you ran 50 freaking miles.  A great accomplishment all the day around.

Carolyn and Karin - Congratulations on your age placements and on such a HUGE PR, Carolyn.

I hear there was a double trophy in the Ribs household (?).  Ribs better start watching out for the Saint.  She sounds like one of these late bloomers who comes along and proceeds to kick everybody's butt.

And some great racing by TomS and Starr.  Does this Masters group rock or what?

I'm in taper mode and am thoroughly enjoying it.  I'm happy I'm not someone who gets taper madness.  I enjoy not being out running my butt off during this time.  That being said, it was 14 miles in The Forest with a time I wasn't too happy about, but it is what it is.  Sunday was a leisurely 9 miles at the McKay with a couple of stops to talk to some folks.  One trio meets up there Sunday at 9:00, so maybe in the future I'll be able to hook up with them.

That's about it for now.  Have a great week ~

Leslie
                    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

I'm in taper mode and am thoroughly enjoying it.  I'm happy I'm not someone who gets taper madness.  I enjoy not being out running my butt off during this time.  That being said, it was 14 miles in The Forest with a time I wasn't too happy about, but it is what it is.  Sunday was a leisurely 9 miles at the McKay with a couple of stops to talk to some folks.  One trio meets up there Sunday at 9:00, so maybe in the future I'll be able to hook up with them.

Nice 14+9 = 23 mile "taper" this weekend, Leslie.

That's like aamos going for a "little run" this morning.

wow, wildchild, PR by 3.5 hours.
                      What in the world did you eat/drink?
                      did mikeE forget to hydrate after all?

.I hope Karin liked the longer distance

and Holly lost some pounds on the course. .

I'd like to be around when Karin's in supergranny's AG.

Mikemp - glad you’re out-of-range of the ash falls from the Mt. Ontake eruption. As happened for Mt. St. Helens on that unforgettable Sunday morning on May 18, 1980, we all think there will be plenty of early warning before these things happen but I guess not.

Japan Marasons.
                      The Japan 100-Marathon Joyful Running Club still has their open marathons around-and-around the joslingly crowded 5K perimeter of the Imperial Palace in Tokyo every first and third Saturdays of the month at Takebashi mini-plaza by the Takebashi subway station across the street from the Mainichi Newspaper Building. Just show up by 8am, put 300 yen in the donation box (~$3.00) and, after the first 2.195 mile out-and-back to the palace promenade between Otemachi and Sakurada-mon (where I misdirected you to a couple of years ago), check off each of the next eight laps.  Let me know so I can let ‘em know beforehand so they’ll have the first of many completion certificates for all their runs I hope you be getting during your Japan sojourn.  lucky.
                      The weekly Wednesday marathons around the 1.1 mile perimeter of the Hiratsuka-city Sports Field are about an hour train ride to the south.  I’ll try to provide better directions this time in case Hiratsuka might work out sometime, They also have excellent weekend marathons ranging out from Hiratsuka-city up to Lake Hakone, out-and-back to the causeway to Enoshima Island along five-mile long Shonan Beach with its Mt. Fuji backdrop (my avatar), Odawara City along the beach to the south, etc.
                      Probably too late for this year but my favorite is the Mt. Fuji Marathon (nee Kawaguchi-ko Marathon) at the end of November, actually a flat course around scenic Lake Kawaguchi with snow-white Mt. Fuji looming above. For a real Mt. Fuji experience though, there several ascent/descent combinations in July and August. 

I hope it works out to get over there for the Joyful’s New Year’s kick-off party and marathons in early January and get together again.

ps - though I still have a Yokohama “Marathon” t-shirt, it turned out only to be a 10K when I ran it in 1985.   That’s because the borrow word “marason” over there actually mostly means any road race, even 5K and down to the 1K and less “marasons” the grade school kids have to do that are too long for the school track.  A 42.195km race is “full Marason” and it’s always “half marason” too or “full” and “half,” respectively, though 42.195km is the only marathon that counts for the Joyfuls. .

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Mike E

MM #5615

Hey, Twocat--Holly wanted me to tell you that she's turning 50 next year. I already said no.
                        Dave59

Quick post without reading any previous posts yet.....

Got Annabelle up, and after some pancakes we (son-in-law and me) took her to school. 

Worked for a while then ran 4 at lunch.  About 80 and very humid down here.  We are in a small subdivision with about 6 streets on a hill.  If I go back and forth on the streets it is roughly a 1/8 down hill, 1/4 up, 1/4 down, 1/4 up, and then 1/8 down to the starting point.  Tough little one mile loop.  I did it 4 times this morning.  Feels great to huff up those long hills with the sweat pouring off me.  Neighbors wonder if some crazy man moved in and how much it will effect their property values.

Then I did the breakfast dishes, popped some laundry in the washer, and here I am.

Time to shower-up, and pretend to work some more.

Feels great to huff up those long hills with the sweat pouring off me.  Neighbors wonder if some crazy man moved in and how much it will effect their property values.

Tet's descriptions makes me want to run a marathon in Japan.  . . . Well, almost.  There's still pavement involved, right?

Leslie
                            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

King of PhotoShop

Leslie, I'm already watching out for the Saint.  Here we are at this race and she looks way more like a runner than I do:

Feet off the ground and everything.  Tired of this stuff.  Spareribs

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Tet's descriptions makes me want to run a marathon in Japan.  . . . Well, almost.  There's still pavement involved, right?

<<<(MtFuji / Mt.Fuji)>>>

you, and a few others, would just love it

ps mike: tell Twocat, there'll be a 50th birthday run

out here in the PNW for holly next summer too.

It'll be a little 50-miler along some local river

<<<(WhiteRiver / White River)>>>

(at least the first six miles are)

Great running with the DW ribs, and fun for both of you,..

You won't be the first one whose DW has overtaken the DH.

Keep us up-to-date

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)