Masters Running

HEY...TIMBO !! (Read 858 times)

Marathon Maniac #3309

We'll be good Boys Jlynne - promise.......we want to eat Ya know Wink

I'm just not drinking any funky lookin' vitamin Japanese beverages.....Hey Slo, try this drinky Buddie Smile

BTW, Slo and myself are just having fun with this....but very serious about the race though

Sooooooo,

BRING IT SLO  !!!

T

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Tramps

Kind of slow on the smack-talk thread, isn't it? 

How about a theme songBig grin

If you're ready for the street
      You wanna mix it in some fight
      Let me tell you somethin'
      Now I don't wanna get you uptight
      But if you're in a corner
      And you cant find no way out
      Don't look around for no help
      No, no there wont be any around

Expect no mercy, expect no mercy

Be safe. Be kind.

Slo

Well it's been well over a month.

We're 17 days away...You didn't peak on that back to back Marathon stint did you?

Hope you kept the training up !

Tramps

It has been a while.

Be safe. Be kind.

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Tramps.. pass the popcorn.... if it ain't stale.....

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Marathon Maniac #3309

A Birdie Friend told me to check in here, because Slo was talkin' all crazy and stuff.  I still can't read or post here due to some personal stuff that happened - and out of total respect, I can't say why .

This is a Email I sent to a Friend of mine, who was asking how I was doing....I changed a little bit for here (consider this a update for RA, and running Green Bay, and this is what I say :-)

I'm having Terrible problems with my back and Sciatica, and I'm taking huge amounts of Hydrocodone to try and cope with, and handle the severe and debilitating pain it's causing (it's horribly painful - worse pain of my life)! I developed this back in February, and it never went away (I have tried to hide it) It's absolutely affecting EVERY part of my life - every little twist or movement I make, or attempt to make. Now it's so bad that it feels like I have a knife stuck into my lower back (lumbar area) - right side upper butt area - right hip - outside of my right thigh - and a excruciation pain clear down to my right outer calve. Then as I sit sometimes my whole right leg will go numb, and then it's hard to get up and move, and I have almost 0 flexibility trying bending over - like really none! Without cruise control on my car, I wouldn't even be able to push my gas peddle to drive to work - almost impossible to tie my shoes and put pants and undies on. I'm not running as much now(40-50 miles a week) but trying to cycle more...I think cycling is making it worse actually, which doesn't make much sense does it ??? While running my gait is now altered, and my right foot will drag the ground sometimes as I try to pull my right leg up and forward....about trip and fall sometimes. I still can run my normal paces though !!! but it about kills me some times Sad

Something is going to have to give - be done for this condition, but I won't stop running - can't ! Back Doctor says he is surprised I can even run period ...and has advised against it - Ba hum bug ugly Scrooge!

Unfortunately, this is nothing a chiropractor - adjustments - stretching - PT or anything like that can take care of, as it's mostly arthritic in nature between the lowers disc's, and it's now putting pressure on my sciatic nerve! I've had lumbar problems for years now, and have had MANY steroid injections and 2 Facet Joint Rhizotomy's surgeries (while awake, yes !).........(6) long hollow needles - within needles -  stuck in my lower back, which cuts the facet nerves, which then allows for some pain management till the nerves grow back...which has happened. Fun Fun stuff as the surgeon asks if he's in the right spot, before he cuts the nerve !

My plan to try and run Green Bay (and just run period) - and this is obviously not from my Doctor, or back Doctor though - is....

While heavily medicated on the good stuff :-)....try and run 20 to 23 miles this Sat (tomorrow) with at least 16 miles @ MP - 7:45 ish pace. I haven't ran a 20 miler in 3 weeks now, but I don't think that will be that big of a deal. I will not go to Green Bay unless I feel like I can run 3:30 ish time (was hoping for 3:15 - 3:20...ran 3:21 already).....if I'm going to hurt, I want it to be worth while. I am registered for the Marathon - have my Hotel reservations and flight itinerary to Green Bay and home......now I hope my back somehow behaves !!! I don't do 3 weeks taper, so that's no issue

This really is the worst pain ever (those who have had sciatica knows this) and I can tolerate A LOT of pain !!! Right now...I couldn't even  set on a airplane - not to mention run a Marathon...but we shall see !

Wish me luck - or what ever I need on my "test run" (boy, lots of Hydrocodone sure makes me feels awfully happy considering :-))) 

I know I know I know.........so many are going to say don't do it. Well..........easy for you to say ;-)

Slo........getting beat by a crippled up dude  ROFLOL 

I'm pretty stubborn !.....and so gosh darn good looking  :-)

TimBo

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

#artbydmcbride

20 mile run, crippled with an inflamed sciatic nerve, hopped up on hydrocodone.  That may just be the stupidest thing I have heard of.  Black eye

You do know you can cause permanent damage, right?

You need physical therapy to get that nerve unpinged on.  Taking pain killers alone is not going to make it better.

Runners run

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

This really is the worst pain ever (those who have had sciatica knows this) and I can tolerate A LOT of pain !!! Right now...I couldn't even  set on a airplane - not to mention run a Marathon...but we shall see !

Wish me luck - or what ever I need on my "test run" (boy, lots of Hydrocodone sure makes me feels awfully happy considering :-))) 

TimBo

Good luck Stu..born Tim.  Once when my back went out and I couldn't even get up-and-down from out of the car but limped over to the start and ran 31 miles without any back pain or after effects.  However, I ran within the pain, not in spite of it and over/through it just to see if I was tough enough. It's helped me run at least one-marathon-a-year for 35 years.  I wouldn't've missed a single one for the sake of being stupid for the sake of any one out of them all. I hope you make the right decision for you too.    However, Ⅰ think there is only one right decision. sorry. 

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Mariposai

Something is going to have to give - be done for this condition, but I won't stop running - can't ! Back Doctor says he is surprised I can even run period ...and has advised against it - Ba hum bug ugly Scrooge!

TimBo

Yeah, you may be good looking and pretty stubborn...

but dude...you  have a serious health problem and you better take care of it while you are young or you can be one nice looking and pretty stubborn crippled young man!!!

Seriously...this is serious!!!

Please don't be fullish.

Enough said...

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Slo

I should have figured you'd come up with some excuse! Big grin

Tim, I'm sorry to hear about your issues but the others are right...It ain't worth it. We can easily find another Marathon.

Keep me posted on your plans...gotta run but I'll check back.

..ok, I waitied on this.........

......I Answered the Bell for 42-years..

....and now I'm on Sticks

possibly for the rest of my life,

Tough is Good, sometimes Taking A Pass is the Better Answer

just make your best choice.

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Tramps

Tim, you know all this trash talk stuff is just fun.

Your long term health is serious stuff.  Be careful, be smart.

Be safe. Be kind.

Tim, you are about the toughest runner we know.  That's what makes you so darn fast too.  You run through pain that most of us wouldn't dream of.  But there is a limit and that limit is your longterm health.  You are risking cruches or worse by running through sciatica.  Stop it.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Slo

You are risking cruches or worse by running through sciatica.  Stop it.

Bill

Seriously Tim,

Don't do anything stupid.

Listen to what the pro's tell you.

Tim - I think you're a great dude with a huge heart, but running through this is about the stupidest thing I have ever heard.  Obviously, whatever is going on with you is making you not give a damn about your future ability to walk let alone run.  Nothing, I mean nothing, is worth destroying your overall health and well-being.  I find your post to be a cry for help.  I sure wish you'd let us help you with whatever is going on.

Leslie
                                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance