Masters Running

What does it mean that I'm achy all over?? (Read 734 times)

New skirt in town

One week to go before Boston, and I'm so achy, achy, legs are breaky! My training went well, with peak mileage 62 miles, and another 6 weeks above 50 mpw. I followed a modified Hanson plan, with no more than 30% of my weekly mileage in the long run. So my longest "long run" was 18 miles...the rest ranged from 15-17 miles. I did a long tempo run every week, along with a modified Vo2 max workout weekly. I say "modified" because I ended up doing so many runs on the treadmill with our terrible wintery weather and unsafe roads. I am actually somewhat fearful of speedwork on the treadmill (visions of being spat off the end of it in a bloody heap if I trip), so I converted all of those workouts to hill repeats. Overall, I felt great while training. I had a little plantar fasciitis develop, but I managed it aggressively with massage, chiropractic Graston technique, stretching, and a Strassburg sock at night. I was able to keep up all of my mileage. During my taper, I ran 80% mileage, then 60% mileage, and now supposed to be down to 20% during this last week. But now? In my last week of tapering...my legs and back are just so achy from morning until night! I feel otherwise well, and what little running I've been doing has been strong and where I've wanted it. But what's up with this aching for the past 4 days? Its not really localized, just sort of all over in the quads, glutes, and low back. It doesn't feel like an injury per se, just achiness! Help! Should I run tomorrow or take an extra day off? I've never had a taper feel like this... --Robin

NO  MO MELANOMA! Help me run 26.2 miles and raise $5000 for the Melanoma Foundation of NE.  Visit this page to learn more:  http://tinyurl.com/NO-MO-MELANOMA

You have all your training in, so it won't hurt you to take the day off and rest your body.  It also might help to get a massage, if you can.  Perhaps this can be attributed to "Taper Madness." Smile

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

#artbydmcbride

Bubonic Ague!   Shocked   Can I have your stapler?

Runners run

New skirt in town

Okay, I'm feeling much less achy this morning, so I'll try a short 4-mile run and see what that does to me.  I was hoping to get in a few hill repeats, but I think I'll go a bit easy today and see if the achies come back. 

Maybe these were just the phantom pains of taper madness?? 

--Robin

NO  MO MELANOMA! Help me run 26.2 miles and raise $5000 for the Melanoma Foundation of NE.  Visit this page to learn more:  http://tinyurl.com/NO-MO-MELANOMA

Marathon Maniac #957

Happens to me all the time.  I'll get sharp pains, dull pains, achyness, etc. during taper that comes out of the blue.  Thankfully it all usually disappears on race day.  Extra rest won't hurt you at this point, though.  Your training is in the bank.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

SteveP

Robin, I had a marathon last year and had similar symptoms. Thankfully, I also had an annual physical and I told the Doc. A sample of allergy meds later,  I was back on track. 

SteveP

Renee the dog

--Robin

Oh, come sit next to me. I'm having a whopper of a taper!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Taper phantom aches and pains are normal.  They are a result of the muscles repairing themselves from the stresses they've been put through during race training.  This is typically a good sign that you've trained hard and well, and that the legs will be refreshed and raring to go come race day.  Many run their best races after experiencing phantom achiness.

Of course if the pains are real and persist, and are not simply phantom aches, you may have some lingering injury issues.  But it doesn't sound like it.  You are ready to Rock!

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Henrun

Robin, you're more than ready. For an interesting slant on what to do when your legs are achy and tired read the article in the latest 'Running Times'. They suggest long, slow runs ala Lydiard.

coastwalker

You have all your training in, so it won't hurt you to take the day off and rest your body.  It also might help to get a massage, if you can.  Perhaps this can be attributed to "Taper Madness." Smile

I agree with Leslie (and Henrun, and most everybody else): You are more than ready for this race, and taking off a day or two this close to race day will likely do you a lot more good than harm (physically, if not mentally...).

I hope you have a greta race on Monday!

(I'll be working at the 10-Mile check point again this year, so look for the old guy with the beard under the 10-mile flag.)

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Mariposai

I am glad to hear that your aches are better. Enjoy your taper week. Have a great race. I can't wait to see the stories and pictures of the Boston's Master's gathering.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

#artbydmcbride

Sheesh, they could have lasted at least until I got the stapler or something!   Big grin

Runners run

New skirt in town

No staplers for you just yet, missy!

Someone else who's probably a little antsy about Boston. Smile

Be safe. Be kind.

dg.

ookay does that mean I get the stapler?      (Ilene,  I'll share)