Masters Running

How did you BQ? (Read 742 times)

Beginner all over again

I'm new to exercise, just passing my one-year mark here of walking/jogging, after being sedentary for a decade.

Frankly, I'm happier now to have exercised for 12 months straight for the first time than if I were to BQ, but if I ever BQ, that will be my second happiest Exercise Moment

I'm taking the next 12 months to basebuild and ramp up for my First marathon "to finish"

I'm wondering, how long were you running before you qualified? months? years?

How many marathons and/or halfs had you run before then?

Did anyone start running in their 40s and go on to BQ ?

Thanks for sharing Your Story !

Marathon Maniac #957

Frances – in my 30’s I ran just a little bit – 1-2 miles, 3 times a week, but when I was approaching 40 I began running more – 20-25 miles/week, sort of as a way to help me cope with that milestone. 

I ran my first HM at 41, my first marathon at 42, but the course for my first marathon was changed at the last minute due to flooding, and ended up being measured short.  Drat!  Now I was going to have to do another one!  So I ran another marathon that fall and qualified for Boston at that one.  That was in 2007.  I’ve now run 8 marathons and one ultra (50K), with marathon times ranging from 3:48 to 4:36, qualifying for Boston at 3 of the 8 that I’ve run.

And I am by no means a fast runner, never was fast when I was younger, never ran track.  I am fairly graceless, a galumpher if there ever was one.  But I am a hard worker, and very persistent.  And stubborn.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

King of PhotoShop

I ran my first marathon in 1977 at age 30 and figured I would BQ in '78, but I had a few near misses.  It took me until March of '79, and I did it with just seconds to spare, 2:59 and change.  Back then you could BQ very late, so I got to run the '79 Boston, at which I ran another 2:59.  Spareribs

Savoir c'est pouvoir

Frances - I was 38 years old the first time I qualified and had been running for about 2 years prior. I had one previous marathon and two 15ks but didn't race a 1/2 until after I had run my 3rd marathon. 

I qualified again at 40, 41 and 42. It's a lot easier for us to qualify now than when Spareribs first did it!

Beginner all over again

Congrats to you three!

I liked your stories!

Please continue the posts.

I like to hear about age you started running and your path to the BQ 

Thank you!

I started running in 2003 at the age of 48 and ran my first marathon at age 50.  It took me a few attempts but I finally got my first BQ at the Maine Marathon in October of 2006 at age 51 - 3:32:40.  I ran my PR at Maine as well in October of 2008 at age 53 - 3:19:28.

This will be my 6th consectutive Boston and my 18th Marathon overall, at least my BQ time this year is only a 3:45 so it's getting a little bit easier to achieve, although I haven't gotten a BQ at Boston yet, that is one of my biggest goals this year if my hamstrings behave, only time will tell.

And yeah that Ribs certainly had it much tougher back in the "good old days" didn't he!   Boy a 2:59 at Boston is nothing to sneeze at either, only in my dreams.

I'm wondering, how long were you running before you qualified? months? years?

How many marathons and/or halfs had you run before then?

Did anyone start running in their 40s and go on to BQ ?

Start running in their 40's???  I wish.  I didn't start running till I was nearly 53 years old.  I'm nearing 58 now so I've been running almost 5 years.

I've run 5 marathons so far, and about 8 or 9 half marathons probably.  I BQ'd on my 5th marathon last October, with scant seconds to spare.

You sound like you might be wondering whether anyone who starts running in their 40s can BQ.  If I can, you can, anyone can!

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

lamerunner

Hi Frances, and welcome

My first couple of marathons i was in high school and not old enough to run Boston. The BQ times back then were faster: I think I needed 3:20, which I ran my second marathon but was not yet 18 or 19 ( I cannot remember the age requirement  ). I had been running a couple of years.  A year later, around  1979,  I ran a 3:06 and ran Boston the following year. Like Spareribs, I remember fondly the days when you could qualify and decide at the last minute- took advantage of that in 1988, qualified in March with a 3:02 and ran 3:08 at Boston a month later.

I am considerably slower now and also could not handle marathons a month apart!

I think your plan is wise; build up some base before trying a marathon. Some people try to jump in to marathoning  too fast.  Age is not necessarily an impediment if you train smart; at least your legs don't have the mileage on them that some of use have.

Good luck; have fun!

jfa

I have yet to BQ, but these stories provide motivation and inspiration.I started running at age 47, and I'm 50 now. My 3 marathons were ,in order , 4:25, 4:22, and 4:11. Number 4 is on Saturday. It's not a qualifier but I am looking for more experience and a better time. I am going to BQ someday. I might be 80, but dagnabitt, I'm going to do it!

Maniac 505

I was a 48 year old couch potato.  My doctor told me to get more exercise and lose weight or he would start treating me for diabetes.  I googled diabetes and decided I didn't want to do that.  I lost some weight, started running and eventually learned I enjoyed running distance.  I ran the 2003 Seattle marathon just before I turned 50,  I had no more dreams of running Boston than of running the Olympics.  that wasn't something normal people could do.

As I trained for my 2nd Marathon (2004 Seattle) I was surprised at how much faster I was getting and I began to think Boston was possible.  I over trained and suffered a stress fracture a couple weeks before the Seattle marathon.  I started anyway and DNF'ed in the first mile.

8 months on the elliptical trying to stay in boston shape.  4 months after I was cleared to run I got my BQ on the 2nd marathon I finished.  My plan in those days was to race one marathon a year.  Plans change.

2007  12 marathons

2008 0 marathons while foot healed and I adjusted to orthotics.

2009  8 pain free marathons

I haven't gotten my speed back after that year off,  If I ramp my miles back up and do some speed work I know I could get a lot of my speed back and probably BQ again if I don't get injured.

for me,  speed work hurts and increases the chance of injuries.  I might give it a shot later in the year,  haven't decided yet.  for now I am enjoying going the distance.

Dave

Franc59

Half Fanatic #36

Hi Frances....I think we share a name, but I'm Italian and therefore Francesca...

I'm 50 and the running  bug bit me about 7 years ago.  When I moved to the PNW I started running regularly with my first half marathon in 2004, followed by a few others and several 5 and 10Ks as well. Never particularly fast but always trying to improve myself.

My first marathon was Vancouver in 2006, after that I thought I would stick to the more reasonable distances. Luckily ,well over a year after that first marathon, our dear friend Tet, Barefoot Jon, got me to drop all excuses and, plain and simple, told me to just go for it and sign myself up for another long distance race. Next thing I know I'm running a 50M race and, a couple of weeks after, a 100K. 

In the in last 2 years I've run 10 more marathons and 13 ultras. My BQ just happened 7 days after a 100K race ,

I'm slow and steady and I like it that way, never stress out over a race, there is always the next one, yes, OK, even next week.  I'm off to Boston tomorrow planning on taking as much time as I need on the course to really enjoy  the experience!

Sure you can do it! Maybe I'm not the best example to follow, but I'm planning on staying healthy and keep running  this way  for a long time!

Francesca

Beginner all over again

Great stories the last several posts too.

Congrats to everyone!  

Anyone else? 

Please do chime in!

Thanks!

I love this thread!  Thanks for starting it, Frances, and for responding, everybody.  It's a reminder of how great this forum is and how awesome the RA Mas-tahs are!

Holly - that you are a hard worker is quite the understatement

Breger - started running at 53?; you've been my hero forever for running in the FLA h/h; now you're my superhero

Oh, heck, you're ALL my superheroes!!!

Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

Renee the dog

For our baby shower before we adopted our daughter, a friend gave us a jogging stroller.  I thought "Man, that's ridiculously generous."   So, I guess the guilt started me running after our daughter was home for about a year.  I guess that makes it 4 years since I started...I must have been 41.

Last fall, I decided to shoehorn in a fall marathon into my plan, and since it was my first, everyone told me to just plan to finish.  I thought that was fine advice for the beginner I was, but as a seasoned athlete in other sports, I wasn't about to throw away a BQ possibility by being too scared to try for it.  Plus, with my mentality, I wouldn't be disappointed if it all fell apart while I was out there!

Soooo, I went out with a plan to barely qualify, and I executed that plan.  Yep, qualified at 45 for Boston with a few seconds to spare. It doesn't seem real yet because it happened in November and Boston was already closed for 2010, so until I actually can register, it won't seem like I've done it.  

In the meantime, I've run 2 more, two Sundays in a row, and that proved to me that I really do like the distance.  Why?  Because there's so much in play....  My half-marathon times vary by only 23 seconds over the last several.  Different courses, different race day strategies, different training leading up to race day.  Crap. I might as well phone in my results!   But with the 3 marathons I've run, the spread is 44 minutes!  Now there's something that can consume my brain for some time -- figuring what exactly works for me and what doesn't.  I'm hooked!

You can do this.  Maybe not when you plan, but you will do it!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

If I can, you can, anyone can! 

never would have believed you billque about that "anyone" part but good things come to those who wait too.

After 26 years and 60 marathons, an hour error that three e-mails failed to get corrected in the results of a BQ event in 2004 produced a five minute cushion under my then-BQ of  3:45:59 .   

Just sorry I didn't know what BQ meant.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)