Masters Running

Grandfather Mountail Marathon - I did it! RR (Read 319 times)

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Grandfather Mountain Marathon Anticipation of the unknown is scary. My neighbor has said for years, “you gotta run Grandfather Mountain Marathon, it’s beautiful!”. After some recent business trips to WV and running the hills there, I thought, “why not!” It’s beautiful, it’s an unknown challenge and “it’s there”. I perform best in cold weather like 40’s, I wilt in the heat because I sweat so much. I can feel even the slightest hill when I run so why not run a mountain marathon in July? The perfect challenge. This is a really cool marathon, it’s small - less than 400, it starts at the track at Appalachian State University (The guys that beat Michigan)in Boone, NC and winds up the mountains, even on the Blue Ridge Parkway for awhile and ends at McRae Meadows during the Highland Games in Linville. In fact to get to the finish you have to run the track around the Highland Games field with 15,000 spectators. The scenery going up and around the mountains is nice and woodsy with some great views and several waterfalls next to the road. Lots of shade is the best part. They have a deal where you can stay in a residence hall very close to the race start. That worked out great. The night before they had a pasta dinner which was basic but very good. Lots of spaghetti, tasty bread, salad… Talking with the runners sitting nearby got me a bit more scared. One guy was running his 10th marathon in 10 weeks. He runs a marathon on the weekend and drives to the next one during the week (Alaska Mayor’s, Portland…). Another guy ran a 24 hr ultra and covered 124 miles. Very talented runners it seemed. If you reach the Highland Games within 5 hrs you get to run around the field in front of the crowds but after that they stop you at 26 miles and give you the medal. The course closes after 6 hrs. My neighbor told me to add 30 minutes to my typical marathon time to estimate GMM. I added 30 to 3:40 and got 4:10 then threw in 5 minutes for heat for a goal of 4:15. So my goals were: 1. Finish in 4:15 2. Finish under 5 hrs 3. Run at a hard training pace so recovery will be short since this is part of training for a fall marathon Here is the Garmin Elevation profile: I decided to run this like an Ultra where aid stations are places you stop and fuel properly rather than run and grab like a PR marathon. I was very concerned about hydration since my sweat rate in warm weather is greater than fluid absorption rate maximum. I decided I needed lots of water from carboloading as a source of internal water to supplement what I drink during the run. For 4 days before the marathon I had mounds of spaghetti for lunch and dinner. I got up at 3:30 to have a bagel and honey, banana and Hooah bar with Poweraid. I went back to bed and got up at 5:30 to get ready. At 6 am I had 20 oz water and 3 e-caps then nothing before the first aid station. It was a beautiful day with lower humidity than I was running in lately. Temperatures were 60’s climbing to 70’s. At the track I found JJJ Jessie who was running in a heavy duty kilt - perfect for the event! Later we saw Aamos. There were quite a few Maniacs running. The race started at 7:00 and I ran with Aamos for several miles before I lost her while fueling. That was fun! Due to the hydration concern, I stopped at every aid station and drank 2 water and 1 gatoraid cups often with e-caps to average 3 per hour (12 during the run and 3 before = 15 e-caps!) I also had a gu at 5 of the aid stations starting at mile 10. This strategy worked very well as I never felt fatigued. I also found that I could scream down the long downhill sections without hurting the quads. This really made up for time lost at aid stations. The hills were relentless but there were many downhill portions as rewards. Of course every time we went down we had to make “up” for it. SportsTracks had the total of the “ups” at 2710 feet and 1600 ft of “downs”. The scenery was awesome as we wound around and up the mountains. I hit the 13 mile mark at 2 hrs (beside a lake with mountains mirrored in the glass calm water) and mile 19 at 3 hrs. At mile 25 I was at 3:55 and feeling great. A bit later you could hear the bag pipes playing. Then the course led into the Highland Games and around the track to the sound of bagpipes. I crossed at 4:09:02 well under my 4:15 goal and I wasn’t very tired! Saw Aamos after but not JJJ (sorry!). Then drove 3 hrs back home. The splits show how hilly this race was: Stats: 4:09:02 (9:30 pace, AHR 151) 119/351 OA 20/76 AG (50-59) 1st mountain marathon Beat goal Ran not too hard FR: Blue/white Asics 2120 with 400 miles wear, Wright (double layer) socks, Blue Race Ready shorts and mug, White dri-fit tee,. ETA: Placement

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

DickyG

Huge effort, Perch...looks like you ran with a well thought out plan and achieved...actually shattered...all your goals. I've run this event before...it's a bear...and you conquered it. Big congrats are in order! DickyG
        That's seriously good running on a seriously tough course Perch. Some friends of mine ran it last year (or the year before) and did not in any way feel as great as you did at the end. You get yourself on a "normal" marathon course and you're going to smoke it. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

evanflein

Wonderful! I've been waiting for this one... good job Steve. You really trained so well for this race it would've been hard to miss that goal. Now you're ready for the Equinox, hmmm? Good job on doing the downhills so well, that really is key to success on a course like this.

King of PhotoShop

I most look forward to RR's where people can learn something, and gain real insight about how a good runner plans an event. One area that stood out is your determination, despite the challenges, to run parts of this race very strongly. Well done. Also consider that an event like this is a mentail as well as a physical test. You must have learned from this event just what kind of great shape you are in and that is sure to be a confidence booster for a strong fall marathon if you have on in your plans. I'm real happy for you Perch. I'm sure the only people who won't like this report are the Michigan fans who don't need that reminder! Spareribs
            Tramps

Great accomplishment, Perch. Congrats! I don't think I'd ever be able to this. If the July heat and the huge hills didn't kill me, I'd be puking my guts out from the Hooah bar, Powerade, 15 e-caps, and 5 gu's! Yuck! I'm queasy just thinking about it.

Be safe. Be kind.

That is some carbo-laoding you did! Wow, great job, you really flew down that hill at mile 22 too. It sounds like you are actually a great hill runner. You are gonna rock a flat course now!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

I hope the University of Michigan learned as much as you did. This was a warm up race for you and you took it seriously and put forth a perfect race. The Wolverines on the other hand overlooked the adversity of Appalachian State and came away with nothing. This race among other things must have given you the confidence boost of a life time. Your fall marathon is gonna be smoking fast. Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

HermosaBoy

Looks like a MARATHON of a marathon. I think you ran a GREAT race!!! Big grin

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

Marathon Maniac #3309

Steve....WOW. what a great effort. I can't imagine running hills (mountains) like you did. You are such and awesome runner who I look up to, and want to be like....seriously. Great RR too!!! Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

That sounds like a lot of fun -- now I want to do Grandfather's. I am wondering what the weather was like -- regardless the shade probably helped a lot, as you indicated. Great race!

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Great effort, great report! Just like being there. So what was it like running through the stadium at the end? Must have been something else. Great time too given the net uphill run. Wow!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

wildchild

Carolyn

Amazing job on a tough course. Thanks for sharing your fueling strategy - it really helps to hear how the pros do it! I know each of us has to experiment with what works for us (sounds like Tramps must have a different strategy!) but its all good info. Its funny how that graph makes the hills look so steep, since each square is 100 ft up and 1 mile long. The big hill by my house rises 300 ft in 0.7 miles, which is like the hill in mile 16 in your graph, or coming down its like the hill in mile 11. You sure run it way faster than I do! Especially after 16 miles! What was your race placement overall and AG?

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Perch, Congrats on a completing a tough tough marathon. Faster than you expected to. But that does not surprise me as your training and dedication continue to be stellar. Best Tall

Recent Best times: None recently

Perch - what a great race you ran, on what appears to be a monster of a marathon course! This really looks like quite a challenge and you handled it with class. Congratulations on an excellent race.