Masters Running

40s On the Run - Week of 09/28/08 - Friends Make Life a Lot More Fun (Read 520 times)

“I cannot even imagine where I would be today were it not for that handful of friends who have given me a heart full of joy. Let's face it, friends make life a lot more fun.” (Charles R. Swindoll) Since it's officially Sunday at 12:14 a.m.,thought I'd go ahead and start the weekly post. Had a couple of girlfriends over and we made sushi. They showed up around 5:00 and left at midnight. Ugh! Love 'em, but I was ready for them to leave around 10:00. I tie-red! But we had a good time, and the three of them had never rolled sushi before, so they got to learn. Happy Bday, Jewels! I'm just a little late. Wink Hope your daughter's ITB issue gets resolved soon. Is she doing PT or anything? Who asked me about my MAT sessions? Joe? I don't do "passive" stretching anymore, like sitting on the floor and stretching out over your leg. He has me doing these strengthening exercises that are hard to described, but they trigger certain muscles that aren't doing their jobs. There isn't hardly any movement for the strengthening, it's more about ensuring your leg (or whatever) is in the right position, and then it's a light movement. Right now I'm working on the ITB and on cramping issues in my hips and my feet. There are pressure points that he "activates" to help wake up the muscles. My knee has been bothering me, and we'd been talking ITB issues, but it's stepped up a notch over the past week, and I've started developing shin splint problems. I think I said it before, but went after the trigger points in my shins and I just about wet my pants. We both jumped like we'd been shot. I just have to be much more diligent about the shin strengthening exercises. I've had shin splints before, and it sucks. Since this is a running forum I should talk about running I guess. 3:16:40 this morning. I couldn't drag my butt back up the trail to finish the final 15 minutes. I was done. It was a really great run in Fern Canyon, but at about 2:45, my legs started getting really tired. I think I got about 14 miles in, maybe a little bit longer. Next week will start tapering, so hopefully my legs don't feel like stumps come the marathon on the 12. Okay - I'm babbling 'cause I need to get some shut eye. Nite! Sleepy z z z z z z z z z z

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Thanks for getting us going Leslie and I love the quote for the week. Fabulous trail run you had yesterday. Your marathon is coming up soon. Woohoo! My goal has been to get to 12 miles and THEN I would sign up for a half, but......I'm thinking about just signing up for one now so I can have some sort of goal ahead of me. Something to push me a tad more. There is one in particular that I'm looking at, it is the first week of Feb. Seems far off, but it is only 4 months away. Cindy, I agree with your comment on mileage. EVERYONE has come along way! Thanks to everyone for their encouragement last week when I had serious doubts about this whole running thing. Enjoy your Sunday everyone......Jewels
      But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee

Queen of 3rd Place

Leslie - wow, talk about being an early bird getting us started! Or more like a night owl! It's been interesting hearing about your MAT sessions. I've been trying to figure out if I should do something about these tight feet I have - they feel really stiff in the am, and then it goes away, but I'm wondering if it'll come back and bite me later on if I do nothing. It's tightness in the arches, and none of the stretches I know seem to hit it. Maybe massage? Jewels - I peeked at your log - definitely a HM in 4 months! You don't have such a bad base, and you've been pretty dern consistent for the last year, heck, you've run 6 mi very recently and many HM training programs only take you up to a 10 mi long run - 4 to go! I think the biggest trick is finding the time... What follows is LONG...sorry...Had a NASTY run-in with hyponatremia today. Ended up literally blacking out on the trail (that was weird). Background: I've been struggling with proper hydration off and on all summer. I tried plain water, and Leslie attributed my occasional slight wooziness to lack of electrolytes (girl, you were so right!) I tried gatorade endurance a few weeks ago, but didn't like how thirsty it made me feel, so I went back to plain water. I didn't worry too much, because mostly my runs go just fine, even with high temps. In cool weather, I usually drink nothing or very little, and I'm good for up to 12 mi. Well, yesterday, I decided I was gonna do it RIGHT (uh-oh...). All day I drank plenty of water, only one small cup of coffee and no other caffeine all day, no alcohol, ate right, turned in at a decent hour. Didn't have to get up til 8 this morning. Had a big glass of water before bed. Got up at 3 am, peed, another glass of water, up at 8, another 32 oz of water, light breakfast, meet my friend and we were ready to run our 10 miles at 9:30 am. There were water fountains at 1.5mi, 3 mi, 4.7mi, 5.3mi, 7mi and we stopped every time, I took in maybe 4 oz at a time. At about 8.5 mi I was dizzy, then nauseated, then blacking out, then down...I revived slightly, only to start dry heaving! Several people came by and offered water...but by then I'd figured it out...nobody had any gels or anything. I got some help to a shady spot and after a couple minutes recovered well enough to walk home, although I felt verrry woozy, I made it with a couple of sit-down breaks. Still got my 10 mi in, albeit at a mighty slow overall pace! Big grin When I got home, I grabbed some sport beans and they were just the Best Thing EVER!! I was literally moaningwith pleasure. Then downed about 16 oz of Gatorade Endurance - same feeling...ah! electrolytes!! A few minutes later, I felt completely normal. Crazy! One other interesting thing: I lost 4 lbs on that run, even with all the over-hydrating, which is about 1 lb more than normal for me on a long, warm run. It wasn't all that hot, but it was a sunny and hilly route, so that played a role. Obviously that means I lost more electrolytes than normal for me, which just made my foolish water overconsumption that much worse. I think the take-home message is that even if you don't think you're drinking all that much, you may be wrong. Oh, and bring electrolytes on every long run...or a friend to pick you up when you pass out! Arla

Ex runner

Holy crap, Arla! Shocked It definitely sounds like too many fluids, but not enough electrolytes. Ugh! If you don't like the Gatorade stuff, try an additive. I use GU2O, but I cut it with maltodextrine because the GU is just too sweet. It's 1 scoop of GU and 1 1/2 scoops malto to 16 oz. of water. When it's warm, I try and drink about 6 oz every 15 minutes. Otherwise, I've been doing about 6 oz every 20 minutes, trying not to overhydrate like at Forest Park. Also, are you taking in any salt when it's so warm? I've been using Succeed! caps with the following instructions: For moderate sweating: 1 capsule every hour For heavy sweating (very warm or humid): 1 cap every 1/2 hour (Always take with ample water or sports drink 1 capsule has 341 mg of sodium and 21 mg of potassium If you felt better after getting some electrolytes and food in you, then you are definitely depleting yourself way too much. That happened to me at Salt Point a year ago. I was drinking plain water, and by the time I got to the finish, I was shaking to badly, I could barely hold a cup fluids in my hand. Karen kept shoving food and sports drink at me, and after about 15 minutes, I felt like a whole new person. Jewels - You should definitely go for that HM, whereat you will kick butt! Well, I just got done with my transcription for the day, so I get to relax the rest of the afternoon. Do laundry and stuff while I watch chick flix. Went to Mervyn's earlier to buy jeans (don't get me started on that), and I got to hear from the cashier about how she's gain 15 pounds and has a stack of clothes she can't get into, but she told her husband she's going to start walking and lose the weight, and on and on and on . . . and threw there for good measure, "Are you going to a rodeo?" ( Confused because I'm buying jeans? Confused ) Heaven help me, but I wasn't in the mood for that kind of conversation. Please just ring up my pants so I can go home! Hope the weekend is treating everyone better than it treated Arla today. Wink

Leslie
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

jfa

Hi All ~ wow Arla, that sounds scary!Glad you came out ok.The lessons we learn ,eh? I buy the Gatorade powder and mix mine a little light. Leslie - Thanks for starting us and yes, friends are ereplacable.I'm proud to count each of you as one of mine. A great running club is what we have. Jewels- Set your sights and go for it.You have the time(and better weather) and determination to prepare. Well, my morning long run unfortunately, didn't turn out so well either.Trying for 20.4m. Nothing as dangerous as Arla's,but it sucked having to pull up and walk.I logged it in detail to hopefully learn some things: Ran 17.2 ,plus 5.3m walking.Adds up to 22.4 covered. Don't know why but hit the wall at the bridge on way back.One min walk breaks at m12.5, 13.5 and 15. Knew I was in trouble so I walked 3.6m from bridge to get home. Hip was flairing a little but stretching relieved that. Just ran out of gas. Good things- Good rest day yesterday.No pushups. Good dinner (steak and potatoes) last night.No beers. Bananna before run then 4 gu's along way.Water and water- downed Gatorade, about 40oz. Tight hip at times but parts were pretty good. Possible bad things- maybe too many hills during week .Tempo 5, then CQ hills twice, including Friday. no run yesterday.Maybe should have done 2-3m. no lunch yesterday,3 cups coffee different w/u w Buddy.Walked 1.7 then ran 3.1 with him to home. very humid- 90% at least Not going to get too hard on myself about it.The hills this week and humidity can account for a lot.It's funny though because there have been Great threads on whether or not 20 milers help or hurt marathoner's training.Here's one http://www.runningahead.com/forums/topic/9fe264250d2148668f642edb3a96ad1f and in a more general sense about good/bad runs is one Arla started- http://www.runningahead.com/forums/topic/1b5a6a3e00374f629fa609643fdf455d Excellent points and let's see , four of us now training for a full? Good stuff! Oh well, there will be plenty of better runs to come, if we stay smart about it! Cool MTA- does anyone know how to make these long links like above into single words as I've seen?Just wondering.

57 miles in one week? My legs are mutiny-ing just thinking about it. Smile Re the links: Use these <> instead of these [ ] [a href="www.don'tpickyournose.com"]whatevernameyouwant[/a] I hope I have this right. I have the instructions at work.

Leslie
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

xor

To make links, you need to learn about the "a" tag and the href. It works like the following, only use the pointy brackets instead of the curly ones I've used for the example. {a href="http://this-is-the-actual-page.com/woo/hoo"}The text you want to show goes here{/a}

flatland mountaineer

Thanks for the kickoff Leslie, nice quote! I feel like I am among friends here. 4 miles today had to suffice for a long run, had to walk the hill, legs generally felt like crap, rest of me just wanted to hit the burners and go. Lynda had her record long run of 8.3 all the way to Main street in town and not too much slower than I did my first one last summer. I was telling her how fast she was gonna be next summer and trying to talk her into doing the 10 miler at Jonathans Pumpkin Run. I don't think she quite believed me on the first one and I got a definite no on the 10 miler. She could do it now I have no doubt. I think the Pumpkin Run is out for me, bummer. A couple of little comments at pt made me feel good. My pt told me he was never a "flat bellied" runner like yourself, he said jokingly he always thought that everyone should run the same weight like jockeys and their weighted vests. I am about 15 pounds heavier than when I was at my rodeo prime so I kinda think of myself as heavy but that made me feel skinny. When I was leaving our just retired legendary high school bball coach was getting into his car as I was starting to cross behind him, not knowing if he had seen me before he started backing up so I broke into a quick little trot and continued to my pickup. As he was leaving he swung over by me rolled down the window and said "you are showing some pretty good hustle there" I just had to grin. Leslie nice long run. ya us guys are wimps when it comes to drs and I always think of all the things that need doing while I am waiting in the drs office. And how was the rodeo Wink insert evil grin here......... In the poor girls defense the best prca rodeos in the PNW are this time of year, Caldwell, Walla Walla, Pendleton etc. and she musta been impressed with your runners physique for her to tell you about her exercise program. Jewels, go for it, I think it is a very realistic and reasonable goal. You ran through the Florida summer so you have a huge head start on a Feb race. Arla that sounds scary but thanks for posting so others can learn also. Hope you are feeling well tonight. Joe hills and humidy are killers but maybe you will figure out the combo of circumstances that brought it on. Personally I think it was the lack of beer Wink Wink You got the right attitude though, evaluate it , learn from it, then forget it. Ya Cindy big improvements for the group for sure!! and for some of the spouses also!! Hope to hear from last weekends racers soon. Took the whole day off again, wow 2 Sundays in a row!! Lynda and I were pedalling hard all week to get all our normal wheat plantings done afraid the corn would be ready before we got done. Last year we got caught bigtime and spent the rest of harvest trying to get caught up. What should have been an easy day getting done drilling a circle of irrg wheat turned into a long day and still didn't get done. Fertilizer pump Honda motor refused to run , very odd so had to jury rig a contraption to pump it out. Then one of my electric fert pumps on the drill burnt up, took an hour to figure out what happened then a John Deere tech showed up to do some warranty work unannounced friday. I did get him to help put the corn concaves in the combine (threshing elements). They are big heavy awkward finger mashing steel grates so a big relief It wasn't Lynda and I doing it. Had him check a few other things while he was there and Lynda filled my wheat drill. By then it was almost dark so I sent Lynda to the high school football game to do some networking. In small towns lots of biz gets done at high school games. Anyway she touched base with my custom combine client and also one of the guys that is gonna drive big truck for us. I was finishing my turnrows and thought I should check seed level, crap! one drill was out. Heck with it so quit for the night. Saturday morn I checked out the drill and it had just enough seed to keep drilling so no redo. Put 4 five gallon buckets in finished the circle. Dumped the drills off and hooked onto the big new grain cart we put the scales on and finished up the combine. By 2 pm I was nosing into a cornfield with the combine. Corn was really wet not really ready, picked a truckload to see exactly what we had, sent the neighbor to town with the truck and called it a day. We probably wouldn't have needed to push so hard but happy to get so much done! Smile Heck of a week so decompressed on you guys Big grin

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Dang Arla.....quite scary there. Glad you made it home O.K. Although there is nothing funny at all about what happened, I had to chuckle at the part where you said you were "moaning with pleasure" eating the sport beans when you got home. Jim and Lynda, busy, busy week for you guys. Glad at the end of the week you felt pleased about working hard but now being able to say awwww......and feel good about the work getting done. I think Lynda would do great at that pumpkin 10 miler. You both are doing awesome. Joe....you still got in some good mileage though, just didn't quite hit 20 like you wanted (at least running anyway) Hope the hip is feeling better today. Just as Arla mentioned a few posts back about one day having the greatest run and the next day hitting the wall. What gives? When is your marathon? Leslie, do you do transcription for different attorneys, or is it for your immediate boss? How's Kelly feeling these last few days? Hope she is recovering well from her 100 miler. Carol.....hey there! Ugh.....it's Monday......time to get everyone moving around here. Jewels

jfa

Lemme try this spellchecker Thanks folks Jewels- hip's fine and thanks for asking. Marathon is on Nov 23rd so there's plenty more practice to be done.

Joe, my daughter turns 19 on Nov. 23rd so......it is going to be a great day for her and YOU! Um...the spellchecker thing?

jfa

Joe, my daughter turns 19 on Nov. 23rd so......it is going to be a great day for her and YOU! Um...the spellchecker thing?
                          Excellent Jewels- it's also Dw's and mine 26th Wedding anniversary! How am I running a race that day,you ask? She is coming with me to Philly and we're making it a weekend event. Google is my spellchecking feature hear (did you mean here) Cool BTW - Arla started another Great Thread here

Morning, Folks - Tapering starts this week, and since I'm only scheduled for 3 miles, I decided to sleep in and will run after work. Jewels - I have my own secretarial business on the side. I have one consistent client/attorney, and then get work here and there throughout the year. I get work via word of mouth and could probably get more if I advertised myself, but I don't want to get into the position of working all day then 2 or 3 hours in the evenings, as well as on the weekends. I make just enough to keep me in "fun money." Farmer Jim - I think Lynda should go for the 10-miler. If she can do 8.3, she can do 10. Go for it, Lynda!! Joe - Love the picture of Buddy on your avatar. And yeah, he looks evil, wicked, mean, and nasty! MTA: How to Peel a Hard Boiled Egg

Leslie
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Queen of 3rd Place

Leslie - happy taper-madness Evil grin Joe - happy anniversary! Jim - tell Lynda we're rootin' for her! Made a big ol' pot of chili last night. Since I like red chili con carne and also chile verde, I sort of made a cross between the two, which I guess I'd describe a chili con carne (a little bacon, a mess of ground beef, onions, poquito beans, garlic, chili powder...) with a whole bunch of green chilis: pasillas (or poblanos, depending where you come from), jalapenos, and anaheims....and made a skillet of cornbread to mop it up...washed it down with a cold beer...yummy yummy! Got good leftovers, too! Arla

Ex runner

Arla, that's my kinda menu......beer and all.......I'm so there! I see Leslie, that's great that you have side work like that. I take my mid-term Wednesday in my Legal Terminology class. Wish me luck! Later gators......Jewels