Masters Running

Saturday, September 6tj runs and what have you (Read 431 times)

DS16 came in second place in a 3.0-mile XC race yesterday - 15:36 on a trail that included some twisty roots.
    Teresa, wow, he's quick. And it sounds like he's willing to work hard to get better. Dark Colt was faster at age 8 than he is now at 12--mainly because he hardly ever runs any more--but he has just agreed to participate in his middle school's cross-country program this fall. This is big in my eyes, even though the program is fairly casual. I don't see him ever having the dedication, or the talent, to run 15:36 for 3 miles, but I would love to see him stick with running and make the high school cross-country team, even as an also-ran. Not for my sake, but for his sake: for the life experience and lasting memories he would gain. Dark Horse
    I'm a dark horse, running on a dark race course.
    dg.

10 for me with my running buddy (she did 7 or so before I joined her, since I was being prudent today)--we ended at her car and she gave me a baggie of cranberry/white chocolate chip cookies she made for me b/c I told her last week how much I like cranberries. DH had one already and stated that running isn't the only thing she does well, so I'm looking forward to dessert tonight (if there are any left). He's back to exercising and we did 2 miles last night and 2 more today at about a 12:30 pace, although I'm wanting to try going by heart rate. Anyone have a website they recommend on that? grins, A
      Amy, these are about a variation on the heart rate approach... I'm really interested in trying this. http://www.iae.com/titan/fyi/11-06.html, http://fitstop-lab.blogspot.com/2008/04/hrv-epoc-training-effect.html yay for your DH! I think those cookies would be good with ice cream. Hi everybody else. lots of great stuff out there today... sending out appropriate superlatives in all directions. No time for specifics... have to cut the grass. Rest day for me. 4 miles Friday that I never got around to posting. got to the gym & had forgotten my Polar. Roll eyes. but am pretty sure about the distance.
      Teresadfp

One day at a time

Thanks, Holly and Dark Horse. Dark Horse, DS's middle school coach told me that he was only a mediocre runner at that age, so you never know! The boy who came in 3rd place yesterday used to lap DS all the time, and the 5th-place runner was always way ahead, too. He seemed to kick into high gear once he reached HS, in athletics and academics. I wish I could package that drive! My 13-year-old will never be very fast, but he's running and playing tennis, so I know what you mean - the experience is wonderful! I sure wish I had done sports as a kid.
          Great race report Ribs way to come back from death defying surgery! Also, I want you to know I am just flabbergasted that you think a 7+ mile morning run followed by a 9 mile afternoon interval workout two days prior to a HM is no way to prepare! Just floored and upset I tell you! I am so mad I need a smiley here! Angry Actually, I was pretty sure either I would decide the race should be rained out or the RD would. The RD beat me to the punch and yesterday emailed to say the race was being postponed. Ironically, the weather actually held off and it was just raining very lightly around when the race would have started and a bit later stopped raining altogether. What luck eh? Now, it is raining cats and dogs though. But it is now 7:40pm and the race would have been loooooong over. Oh yes, Ribs it would take a lot more than some well placed skepticism about my training plan to get me to feel insulted! You should see some of the reviews of my work that I have received in years past! At least now I can laugh. Smile DickyG after mainerunnah gets done with your lawn let me know how he did. I am looking for some new guys to do my lawn as well. Smile WillRunForBeer 2nd in your AG! Way to go! Same for you PDR for your 1st in your AG! biketm good job on today's 20. Good luck making it to 30 for the weekend! Holly S. I use Quicken but I have to admit it is not as wonderful as it is generally touted to be. Maybe I am just not using all of its features to their fullest extent. But, it does seem to garner rave reviews. Aamos nice double digit run today. Also, tell your running partner to send some of those cookies to Twocat at . . . Big grin perchcreek glad your leg is feeling better! Teresadfp bragging about DS is fine in my book! Enjoy! Twocat with today's race postponed to next week (when, alas, I cannot make it) I had planned to take the day off. But my DW returned from a week long business trip in Europe late last night and wanted me to run with her today to help her stay up and overcome the jet lag. How can I turn that down? So off we went for a 5+ mile run once the rain looked to be done for an hour. She was dragging but she is a trooper to do it at all and I have to giver her credit for the effort. Even more impressive is that she wants to run the 9.4 mile race route from the local race series tomorrow. We are both running the Reach the Beach Relay next Friday and Saturday. (Yes, on the same team! Wiseguys! But I am not totally stupid we are in different vans! Big grin) Anyway, she wants to make sure she is ready for the race. Assuming we do the race course, it will be her longest training run ever! I tell you I am going to get her to run a HM yet this year!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

evanflein

Nice run for your son, Teresa! Wow, that is fast for a road race much less a trail with roots. And I think my oldest was faster when he was younger. Now he seems more sedentary in general, so maybe that's part of it. Mariposai, I wish I could help with your race... but if I could get down there for that I'd be able to do the RVM... but I can't! Sad BUT, I can get to NYC it seems... so I think that NYC marathon may work out after all. I've been quiet about it because so much was up in the air (except the entry, which I had nailed down). Now we've got friends offering to put us up and DH looking for airfare deals or mileage awards, and I think it might actually happen. Woohoo! 8.6 miles today, basically the same route as my very difficult Wednesday morning run, plus a half mile cuz I did the later turnaround point, but today's avg pace was 8:11 (vs. 8:47 on Wed)... so, I'm sayin' I do better on later runs. Which could cause problems for these early morning races.... Beautiful day today, sorry to hear about the Hannah problems. I'm hoping for a couple more weeks of good weather here so our marathon will be nice. That hill is a bear when it's raining/snowing!
            wildchild

Carolyn

Just floored and upset I tell you! I am so mad I need a smiley here! Angry
              Twocat, you cracked me up! Too bad your race was postponed and you can't make it next week. But nice run with your DW! Teresa, your son is fast! I'm sure it means a lot to him that you're bragging. WRFB and PDR, nice AG awards and way to stand around in the rain to win raffle prizes! I did the same thing on a very chilly day once, and won a gift certificate to a local running store. Nice runs and races for lots of others, Cool with a few carpy runs for a few. Sad No run today, as I'm resting up for my 10K tomorrow, but DD and I took the dogs for a walk to the mailbox to pick up our mail this afternoon. For some of you, a walk to the mailbox might not be very far, but our mailbox is almost 2 miles away, out where the dirt road meets the paved county highway.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Mariposai

Yes twocat...your dw will run a HM before the years is over!!!!!!!. Smart guy you are about the relay arrangements. Wink 15 miles after a visit to a dear woman who is going thru a tough time. 2 miles eze, 4 miles sort-of fast, 6 miles at marathon pace and 3 miles eze. After finishing I started cooking dim sum for the guys in my house.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

the local newspaper decided to be one of our co-sponsors
                  I think that that newspaper knows what they're doin'

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)