Masters Running

Wednesday, Nov. 19 Runs (Read 707 times)

Hill Runner

Good morning everyone, We set an all time record low here in the Charlotte area...18F at the airport, previous low was 20F. Fortunately, I am not running this morning as I'm running every other day right now but I'll be out there tomorrow... Smile We're pulling out all the Christmas stuff and will be putting up the Christmass Tree before Thanksgiving. Now that we're empty nesters, it's just now the same...Sad Bundle up today!

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
    Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
    Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

I sure can relate to the problems discussed yesterday. I have known that I was not alone but unaware of how common such problems are. Now if someone could come up with an easy and sure remedy that would work for all. At the expense of overdoing it, I'll relate one story. A couple of years ago, I was running predawn in my brother in laws subdivision in AZ when the need struck. I stepped into one of the areas that had been left in the natural state and, as I squatted down, crossed my fingers that there wasn't a cactus under me. That said, maine, I'm jealous that you will get to spend some time in AZ where it's a lot warmer than here. dive, I'm sorry to hear about arf's bike crash. I hope the effects go away quickly. Nice long run for Peter and speed work for Holly. This morning, the temp was in the low to mid 20's with just a light breeze. The roads were dry while I was out but, a couple of hours later, were slippery from some snow that had fallen. I got in 8 miles in a little under 1:18 for a 9:42 pace. A good day and good runs for all. TomS
      wildchild

Carolyn

We're pulling out all the Christmas stuff and will be putting up the Christmas Tree before Thanksgiving.
        What's with the early Christmas decorations??? Don't you get tired of the tree long before Christmas? I know we're in the minority, but we put up our tree on Christmas Eve. It's an old tradition from my family - we used to set up the tree (but not decorate it) on Christmas Eve, then after us kids were in bed my parents would decorate it, and in the morning they would tell us Santa decorated it and left the presents. I have one brother who's a lot younger than the other 3 of us, so when he was little, we pretended to go to bed, then were allowed to get back up and help with the decorating. It was so cool - even though we had to face the dark truth that there was no Santa, we got to BE Santa. Smile

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

NO SANTA??? Bite your tongue...
          Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip

Marathon Maniac #957

Carolyn – I turn into a pumpkin by 10pm – no way could I stay awake long enough to decorate the tree after the kids were asleep. Besides, if I’m going to go to all the trouble of dragging all those decorations out and putting them up – I want to look at them for more than one week, before I have to face the immense job of putting them away.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Carolyn – I turn into a pumpkin by 10pm – no way could I stay awake long enough to decorate the tree after the kids were asleep.
              Holly I think you are mixing your holidays Tongue

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Christmas Rules: 1. If you put up outdoor decorations before Thanksgiving - that is okay - but you cannot plug them in until the day after Thanksgiving! 2. No Christmas music until the day after Thanksgiving - it is better to hold off until December 1st if you can. 3. No looking and peaking at presents that are hidden away. 4. Artificial trees are a no-no unless you are alergic to the real thing. That is a great tradition Carolyn. I know I couldn't wait that long to put up my tree though ....

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

wildchild

Carolyn

Well, my parents were tougher than I am. Even when my DD was little, we just put up the tree and decorated it on Christmas Eve, before bedtime. The only thing I do after she's asleep is fill her stocking. Our current tradition, ever since we've lived in the woods in Colorado, is to go out and cut down a tree on our property on Christmas Eve day. I agree with Mary that artificial trees are a no-no, but if you put up your tree before Thanksgiving (or even in October like Tim's neighbor!) it would have to be artificial or it would be dead long before Christmas!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Marathon Maniac #3309

Obviously, the neighbor Ladies Christmas tree is artificial that I mentioned. But as I watch her get ready for bed through her "left open" blinds, I can tell you 2 things that are not artificial Roll eyes Bad Tim....bad bad Tim Big grin Tramps, it was night time when I had my "incident" I mentioned yesterday...hence why the blinker. I did not say a word and took off running Embarrassed TimBo

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Renee the dog

Christmas Rules: 1. If you put up outdoor decorations before Thanksgiving - that is okay - but you cannot plug them in until the day after Thanksgiving! 2. No Christmas music until the day after Thanksgiving - it is better to hold off until December 1st if you can. 3. No looking and peaking at presents that are hidden away. 4. Artificial trees are a no-no unless you are alergic to the real thing. That is a great tradition Carolyn. I know I couldn't wait that long to put up my tree though ....
                      You forgot the most important one of all: The woman named after Christmas gets to make up her own rules. Big grin (That would be me!)

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Morning, Folks - Rest day for me. Had good intentions to get up and do an upper body and core workout, but those intentions were derailed by a warm bed and a cat curled up on my head. The bright side - no "issues." Wink Toms - As a last thought on yesterday's discussion . . . I'm working on developing Runners' Depends. It's tricky as I need to ensure there is no unsightly diaper-like bulge. Just give me time. The temps some of you folks are talking about - Brrrrrr!! Although, I do think it would be fun to give running in snow a try at least once. Do any of you wear those Yak Tracks (or whatever they're called), or just regular running shoes? This whole crappy economy thing has hit home for us. 13 people are being laid off at The Hub's place of work. He works at the largest home improvement center in Humboldt County. Two of them are in his department, and one of those ladies - she and her husband just bought a house. Undecided Needless to say, things were a bit somber in our house last night.

Leslie
                        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

TammyinGP

busy day in the world of defending those wrongly accused, so I'll make this a quick fly-by . . . no run today, but will go to the gym for an elliptical session. I hope I can resist the urge to hop on a TM Roll eyes

Tammy

evanflein

Yesterday turned into an unscheduled rest day. I feel like I've been a total slacker with the non-running thing. So probably overcompensating a bit with the cross training. Was going to do an hour or so on my stationary bike at home, but when I got home I felt so tired and dragged out, I really didn't want to. Then, just when I was going to force myself to do it, DS2 and his friend went to his room to work on their homework project...and my bike is in his room now. So, I said screw it, sat down with a bowl of popcorn and watched the news. Totally crashed after dinner and had to drag my tired butt to bed after falling asleep on the couch. Ugh. And today I'm up 4 lbs from Monday. Wow, what a good week this is turning out to be. Roll eyes I worked at Nordstrom for about 7 years. Company policy was NO Christmas anything until after Thanksgiving. Even when other stores would bring out their Christmas stuff early (October??), Nordies won't do it. We'd stay sort of late before Thanksgiving to set up the sale and decorate the store. The transformation was almost magical as we watched whatever theme the marketing guys had come up with unfold out of the boxes that had been delivered to the warehouse earlier. I loved it. So I don't ever do any Christmas decorating until after Thanksgiving. Really works with my "do it later" philosophy, too. Big grin We use an artificial tree now, our climate is so dry our real trees just dry up too fast... plus I got an excellent deal on a beautiful tree years ago, everyone thinks it's real. Tall... did you run on the treadmill? Just checkin'... you said you ran at the gym... I'd love to have this "cold" low to mid-20's temps you guys are talking about! It was -10 this morning and could get to -25 tonight. Hey, it's a "dry" cold though. But I'm not running in it... yet.
                            munchkn883

If you stop believing in Santa, there will be no presents!! I believe....I believe!! 3.5 mile COLD walk for me today....felt great! I'm having a tough time getting into the swing of walking 3-4 times a week. Planning a 5 mile walk on Friday and hopefully another 5 miles on Saturday.
                                The Hub sends me with my marching orders to get a tree the day after Thanksgiving. I hate picking out the tree by myself. Too many from which to choose, too many chances to get the wrong one. Plus, we get a really tall one 'cause we have high ceilings. I always feel sorry for the Christmas tree lot guys: "Can you stand that one up for me, please? Turn it around? Hmmmm . . . nope. How about that one? That one? Can we try that one there? Which one do you like? Are you hating your job yet, and you've only just opened for the season?" We also put out a ton of Christmas decorations. It usually takes me two days to put everything away. It's an 8-hour day just taking down the tree. One of these days, I'm going to demand Christmas in Hawaii - no decorating. Big grin . . . . but no SPAM turkey either! Dead

Leslie
                                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance