Masters Running

Thu Aug 28 Runs and Workouts (Read 460 times)

Hi, everybody! Rain today -- first time in quite a while. It was just a light rain during the run -- it wasn't even wet under some of the trees yet. So it was nice and refreshing with the temps a bit warm. No skunks today Smile 12.2 miles, 1:45, 8:40/mi, AHR 147 Only one more day then it's Friday. Have a good one.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Sounds like a nice and refreshing run this morning Lou! Well, 3 seems to be the number this morning. Although my number was suppose to be 5. Started having stomach issues into mile1, so decided to turn around at the 1.5 mile marker and try to get home without a problem. Made it through 2 miles, which I'm counting as my "run" this morning - then did a walk/run the 3rd mile. Tonight I'll go out for 3 and call it good. Just one of those days I guess. Feeling pretty tired this morning.

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
      It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Morning Lou and Mary! 8 miles at 5 AM in misty, rainy, and foggy Boone, NC. I wore my mini-travel headlamp and a reflective vest. The run felt fine and even though it was early after a massively delayed flight last night, it woke me up for the day ahead. I climbed the Chancellor’s hill again and my legs are a bit wobbly now, but in a good way. Worrying about all the folks in the path of the latest storm..... Enke, great kitchen remodel job. I love the look of your cabinets and we have the same coffee maker, cool. My appliances talk to one another at night and decide who will break down and when so it can be all synched up to make sure we go broke. We just replaced our washer and dryer, the refrigerator is coughing and the dishwasher is next in line. I am hoping the furnace and water heater are deaf and can’t hear the plot. I always bring my mail with me on flights (catalogues, magazines etc) and the most recent issue of “Running Times” was in the pile. It was great to see the Fayetteville-Manlius high school girls team on the front cover. They are the defending national champs and should repeat if injuries are kept at bay. It’s nice to see my hometown produce another dynasty. My late coach George Constantino (dropped dead at 46 while teaching a gym class---undiagnosed heart condition) is smiling right now I am sure. The methods the F-M coach uses are reminiscent of what Mr. C. had us do in the 70s, especially all the hill work. Anyway…rock on Syracuse and Central New York! I hope SkipAZ sees the magazine. Off to work I go Karin
        Dave59

Just an easy 4.3 this morning for me. It's been 6 months since I spent a night in the hospital so I see the doctor for a follow-up today. Blood work was done yesterday. I don't expect anything of note. I think it was just stress and a little light-headedness trying to do too much heavy lifting on an empty stomach (carrying loads of trash up from the basement first thing in the morning).

Karin I am sorry I couldn't run with you, I hope my apology will keep you from ever again uttering the phrase gym class <gasp>. Enke your kitchen looks great, almost ready to do the reveal on ours. Does anybody know good places to run in Memphis? Running at lunch today so will have more to post later on my unofficial last day of summer.</gasp>
              Enke, your cabinets look a lot like ours. The best part of the kitchen remodel we did last winter was the back splash. I picked out the tiles and was going to do it myself. But the tile store gave me an "Are you kidding me?" quote for installation. So I let them do it. The installation guy they sent out could hardly speak a word of English - he was Russian or something like that - but what an artist with tile and grout. It is amazing. Karin, you know of course that you're going to kick butt in your upcoming Marathon. You train so hard and get the results. Tim, I'm tired of your narratives about the cute little 5 year old blond girl who can run 7 minute miles with you. I know you're just writing that to rub it in since you know I can't do that. Stop it. Now. Wink A strangely harder-than-it-should-have-been 6 mile recovery run this morning at a slow and easy 9:50 pace. I guess yesterday's 8:45's are talking to me today. I wouldn't think 8:45's would do that, but I guess I'm not in that such great shape. My left hamstring that I tweaked at Eugene does not hurt. It does not ache. But it is not quiet either. I'm nervous to start training for any HM's because of it. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Good morning, all! Nice run, Lou! Send us some of that rain! {{{{{{{{Dave}}}}}}} - take care of yourself! No more overnighers in the hospital! Let us know what the Doc says. Mary - nothing wrong with cutting the run short if you are feeling tired - good to listen to your body. Bill - I didn't do any speedwork to speak of for 2 years after I injured my hamstring. In retrospect, it was a mental thing for me. Nice, easy, slow 7 miles on the treadmill this morning - 10 minute/mile pace and 150 average HR. I think taking a rest day yesterday helped a lot. Good runs to all!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

Marathon Maniac #3309

Nice runs and kitchens Smile Big grin Bill. Actually, it's quite a humbling experience for me because of all the running I do, to only have a little girl run my pace...but it is for only short distances, but still.... It was neat at the end of her run, that her dad was showing her how to stretch properly. 4 easy / recovery miles for me when my plan was for a lot longer. But I was super tired and still feeling my track workout. Lot's and lot's to get done at work....shouldn't even be posting this Roll eyes Have a great day all Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Jlynne

Good morning everyone. Dave - healing wishes your way that everything turns out well. Lou - good run as usual. Your posts are always so upbeat - I look forward to reading them. Could you send some rain this way? We've only had half an inch the whole month of August. Some predicted for today but the crops around here are starting to suffer. Mary - sorry to hear about your stomach issues. Hopefully they've cleared up and you can get the rest of your run in later. I like your new avatar, by the way, but I miss pictures of "the family." You haven't posted any for a while. How about it??? Bill - take care of that hamstring! Sue nice easy run this morning - but, a treadmill??? I WON'T get on one of those until I absolutely have to. Winters are long enough around here the way it is! 7.5 miles this morning at around a 9:40 pace. While I was trying to get through the last mile I was thinking about all the songs that I have on my Ipod (which I forgot at home) that have the word "run" in the title. It Keeps You Running by the Doobie Brothers, Band on the Run by Wings, Run Like Hell by Pink Floyd are a few. Can anyone add to my list???? Have a great day - Jeanne
                    DickyG

Now that the college football season is upon us, I started thinking about some of the great mascot names which can strike fear into any opponent: Lions, Bears, Tigers, Panthers, Hurricanes, Wolfpack, Wolverines, and my personal favorite, The Rattlers. There was an article in today's paper about the newest NBA franchise in Oklahoma City and the names they are considering...get this: Thunder, Wind, Marshalls, Barons, and Bison. I can see it now: "Fred, the Marshalls are coming to town Thursday." "Oh good, remember to set an extra place at the table."...or "The Barons will be here this week-end." "Is my tuxedo pressed?" If the new franchise wants some really scary names for their new mascot, I might suggest they pick from the following list: The Katrinas, The Politicians, The Gas Prices, The Drive-Bys, and the worst of all...The Telemarketers. Maine: You know, you have to run a lot of miles...you really eat good, my friend...lasagna one night, par-broiled ribs the next...what's on the menu for this week-end? Sue: You gutted out a tough run, then a tough bike tour...good for you! TomS: 7 miles @9:38 pace...I'm sure you're feeling much more confident about your conditioning after your tough 10-mile race. Lou: Great run this morning...looks like the rain we had yesterday is coming your way. Jeanne:
                      While I was trying to get through the last mile I was thinking about all the songs that I have on my Ipod (which I forgot at home) that have the word "run" in the title. It Keeps You Running by the Doobie Brothers, Band on the Run by Wings, Run Like Hell by Pink Floyd are a few. Can anyone add to my list????
                      In my case, it would have to be "Running On Empty". Despite the torrential downpour all day yesterday, I decided to go out anyway after I got home from work..went to the track so I could bag it if I just got too soaked. Tried to do one of those runs where every mile is a little faster than the last...and almost succeeded: 9:28 9:32 9:17 8:49 Total 37:06 (9:17)...close but no cigar. DickyG
                      dg.

morning! as is becoming the norm, not much time to post. Bill's hamstring, be quiet. Mary, I agree with Sue. (Hi Sue Smile ) You've been doing so much, and getting assorted twinges. Be careful out there. dickyG, thanks for your (as usual) kind words the other day. I haven't ever really been in the game, but it sure is nice to be close to functional. Wink. Our runs were similar, so I had to share. Of course, you were faster! 10:05 9:40 9:12 8:54. Hamstrings hurt much less than they have been, which was a relief! I'm trying to work on different things everyday, today was pushoff, & ankle extension. I'm hoping that will help me be more upright. gotta run. have a good day, everybody.
                          I will be back later after my PM run. I went off for 6+ this morning with some friends down at the beach. Great morning for a run. Also interesting to hear their take on the DNC. While I have no interest in the conventions, talking heads, or the candidate's speeches themselves I find the impact various events have on the polls to be really fascinating. (So, yes that means I have not been watching the DNC nor will I watch the RNC. Ok, I am weird about what does and does not interest me.) Anyway they are all, of course, rooting for their favorite candidate and I found what they had to say about the events of the last few days and what is scheduled for tonight help the time speed by. Much better than yesterday when I was just dragging. Jlynne let me give a wholehearted second to your view of TM running! Dead DickyG actually a pretty good set of splits for a progression run. It can take quite some time to get your pacing down to the point where it increases smoothly for each interval. I certainly cannot do it with any degree of reliability.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning! Perch – I’m glad your dad is doing well. Enk – lovely job on your kitchen remodel! I posted pictures of my paint project in another thread, and a question to you and Erika, too. Cranium, you too. BTW – you ought to see Dg’s kitchen – beautiful! Dg – go look – I put up the pictures you asked for. {{{CNYrunner’s appliances}}} Smile I know what you mean, speaking from someone who just replaced a heat pump with an air conditioner and furnace – ouch! I’m hoping the ancient dishwasher and microwave wait until I pay off the refrigerator before they break. 6.05 very slow miles for me today (ave pace 11:08). I just felt tired today, I’m not sure why. Perhaps Sunday’s 12-miler and Tuesday’s 11-miler catching up to me. I have to remind myself that it takes time to build up endurance again. At any rate, slow and gentle felt like the right thing to do. I mapped out a new, well-lit, running route along city streets to share with CNYrunner when she comes to town next week, now that the river trail is so dark in the mornings.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Henrun

Easy 2.3 mile hilly run this morning as I get ready for a 20K on Monday. Marj and I usually bike on Wednesdays but we didn't feel like driving to join our bike groups yesterday since we're driving down to New Haven on Sunday. Instead we took a ferry boat to one of the Boston Islands (Spectacle) and hiked on the trails and just sat and read in the sunshine. Returning to the city we had a wonderful Italian meal in the North End, then walked down to the hotel where they have outdoor swing dancing on summer Wed. nights. The whole day felt like a vacation trip although all our traveling was by public transportation. NBC nightly news has had a feature on healthy living as people age. Monday night they had a short segment on older runners. One of the two interviewees was the president of my New England 65+ Running Club (I'm the secretary).

King of PhotoShop

Twocat makes a good point about progression runs. Ideally you should just "fall into" them as you get faster when you warm up. And it does take some practice, which is why they are useful, to understand what pace you are running at any given time. Also they are fun. So DickyG and dg both had some decent efforts at them. Well done. When Prime Rib was a little kid he went to a Catholic elementary school and was always in trouble for talking too much. One day I asked him why he did this and why he couldn't learn to behave himself. He said, "It's because I have too much good friends." This is what it was like at my dirt track in the park today. The Saint and I went over there to walk (me) and run (her) and we met just about everyone we knew. Took forever to get moving. I ended up with a five mile walk (1:28) and I think she got in 7. It's good to know that we have too much good frens. You can never get too much though. Spareribs