Masters Running

40s On the Run - Goals . . . (Wk of 06/01/08) (Read 654 times)

Top 'O the World!

Hey Gang! Just poppin' in for a couple.....nice easy hilly 6 w/DH & Mairead this am ~ 10:00 avg pc + .5 m wu/cd both ends.....we were just chatting about the training benefits of running together - he's faster than I am, I go further than he does....soo, by running together @ the same pace = speed work for me, endurance work for him! Big grin We're have a "honey-do' vacation for a coupla days....xt looks a bit like Spring house cleaning/yardwork...so off to dig out those derned juniper bushes & working on a retaining wall......somewhere in here we get to sort out building a 10 X 12 shed & privacy fence needs replaced...... Jewels: I think you're thinkin you can "add" these things to your existing schedule!?! Confused hmmm, may need to recompute directions..... Joe: Cool I luvs me Mental Health Days! Big grin Wink Arla: Yep - or at least, "I hope so!" (ref going back to spoiling GD...) btw: we went for a 148 mi fundraiser ride in 76* temps Sunday. Smile ..now my tanks & fenders are off being "customized" w/Celtic Heraldy & crosses..should be back by weeks' end.. Cool I love this time of year! + 45mpg is definitely a benefit! Leslie: How'd Hub's stress tests & whatnots go?? R2: re that pic: Smile thas why we live here! Wink....btw - How you guys holding up w/the severe weather?? Been lookin' wicked again!! Having busy squalls down here.....but mostly they look like they build here & then head your way! Carol: 'case yer lerkin', "Hey!" hope things are going well for you! Kelly! Oh~Keeellllyy!? where you at girl? C
    Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
      Mornin', Gang ~ Five miles this a.m. with 10 hill repeats - 5 long, 5 short - with nothing malfunctioning. Yea! Hub's stress test is today. I asked if he would mind if I went with him. Can you guess the look I got? Think I'll just ensure I'm by the phone in case anything happens . . . Blush We watched "Awake" last night. Dead Don't waste your money. The concept was good, but the movie sucked. Well, gotta get going and finish up end of the month billing. Later!

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

flatland mountaineer

Popping in briefly, 4 miles with 1 mile at tempo pace. Kiesha the German Shepard and Lynda came out to meet me when I was coming in. Kiesha got her speedwork done in the form of a bunny chase. She hasn't gotten any faster in her old age and the bunnies seem to know it. She usually does this little growl thing when she breaks off the chase to put a "little fear of the Big Dog" in them. Its like I could of had ya if I really wanted. We had hail for half an hour Sunday night but never much wind or much at one time, a few big (golfball) stones fell and we were waiting for it to cut loose but it never did. We didn't sleep much Sunday night, too dark too go look at fields for damage but the morning light Monday showed very little damge. I always remember my mom going around lighting holy candles when hail stones started to fall. Wheat looks fantastic. better get back at it

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Queen of 3rd Place

Leslie - just a tip - unless you have really strong hands, spring for kevlar-beaded rather than steel-beaded tires for your bicycle. They are MUCH MUCH easier to take off and put back on in case you need to fix a flat. I also carry a spare tube, because it's a PIA to patch a tube and it doesn't always work very well. You'll of course also need a pump (or CO2 cartriges) and tire irons. I also carry a small multi-tool in case something gets loose or needs adjusting. And you *are* wearing a helmet, right? OK, I'll take my "Mom" hat off now. Tongue Cindy - send pics of the paint job! Sounds nice! Jim - glad to hear you dodged the hail bullet. Saw some pics on the news showing enormous hailstones and thought about you folks. Jewels - you and your crazy schedule! I can't believe you've added all that coursework Shocked Have a slightly sore left achilles today after going for an earlier-than-usual run, probably didn't warm up slowly enough. Ice pack tonight. Going to have to re-learn how to ease into these early am runs, it's been a couple of years since I've jumped out of bed and onto the road. Arla

Ex runner

I also carry a spare tube, because it's a PIA to patch a tube and it doesn't always work very well. You'll of course also need a pump (or CO2 cartriges) and tire irons. I also carry a small multi-tool in case something gets loose or needs adjusting. And you *are* wearing a helmet, right? OK, I'll take my "Mom" hat off now. Tongue Arla
            Now I know what's in all those "trailers" some bicyclists pull behind their bikes. I always thought they carried kids or dogs! Big grin Yep, went out and bought a helmet. Wouldn't ride without one. I'll talk to the bike shop about the kevlar beaded tires. Of course, never heard of them . . . but then again it's been years since this butt has seen a bike seat. Farmer Jim - Glad to hear your wheat is holding out. Looks like more storms are heading toward the middle of the country. Keeping fingers, toes, and everything else crossed for you guys. Just received in the mail a copy of "Running Through the Wall: Personal Encounters with Ultramarathon." Am looking forward to some great reading. Now about the four other books I have going at the moment . . . Blush This morning is going soooooooo sssss-lllll-ooooo-wwwww . . .

Leslie
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Ultrachick

Hi Guys! I don't have time right now to catch up with everyone but I will. Life is still crazy but I'm going to try to whip out a race report for you...here it goes. The Nipmuck Trail marathon in Ashford, CT went really well for me. I had done it last year so there wasn't too much that was new. It's an awesome course in that it's all in the trees. It's a single track hiking trail for the most part and you have to follow the blue blazes painted on the trees. Rolling hills, nothing too big but big enough that I did do some walking. You actually start in the middle and go out the trail in one direction for a little over 6 miles and turn around and then go through the start area again and out the trail in the opposite direction for a little over 7 miles and turn around to come back to finish. It's actually 26.4 miles (the last .8 are marked). My strategy this year was to start closer to the front so I wouldn't get caught up behind slower runners and not be able to pass them and lose time. So we started and I was right near the front, going faster than I would have liked but I new I would level off soon. I was behind this woman and tried to pass her when my toe caught a stick and down I went! Teach me for passing within the first couple miles! I was fine and only fell back one spot and then shortly later she pulled off to let a couple of us by her. I made it to the turn around and since it is an out-and-back was able to count that I was in 7th place for the women. Cool! I was only out to beat my time from last year-a top 10 finish is extra frosting on the cake! Along the way, I caught up to a woman and passed her and she told me I was now in 6th place-I didn't make a big deal about it-I'm running my own race today. Then a woman passed me and I promptly told her she was in 6th place! Jack was running too and we had put coolers in the woods at the start area to restock out fuel belts with our drinks. If I carry my own stuff then I don't waste time at aid stations. I made a quick stop and kept going. By now it's 10:30am ish and getting a little warm but luckily I was in the trees. I was by myself for the most part. I think I passed a couple guys along the way and made it to the turn around. The last woman who had passed was there eating. I got some water and couldn't decide what to eat so I just left. The other woman saw me leave and I think she got going soon after but I wasn't looking back and if she passed me then all the power to her. It must have been around mile 20 but I was really feeling good-I was taking little shots of coke at the aid stations. I just cruised-I didn't want her to catch me and then around mile 23ish I caught another woman. We were walking up a hill and I asked how she was doing-she was having some cramping issues. Too bad-see you later! She wasn't walking very fast so it was easy to get ahead and I had seen the other woman a little ways behind me.... Got to go to work...I'll finish it later! Kelly
              If you never go fast, you'll never go fast.
                The suspense of the yet unfinished race report . . . . . . waiting . . . waiting . . . waiting . . .

Leslie
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

jfa

Excellent Kelly !! Way to go ! Shocked

Part 2 of Kelly's report coming soon.....reminded me of the prom dress part 1 and 2 story with my daughter. Hmmm...my first time trying to post pics on RA. The pics are uploaded in photobucket. What do I do from there?
                    But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee

jfa

Jewels- copy and paste to this post the link that says "img" in it. I think that's how I do it, but they often come out too big..... Roll eyes

Ultrachick

Sorry about that everyone-I thought I would have enough time-I'm a pretty quick pick and peck typer. Anyway, I saw the other woman behind me that Il eft at the turn around and just kept moving. I blew past the last aid station with 2 miles to go-I had enough fluid with me and wasn't hungry. I don't remember if I passed anyone else along the way-maybe one or two guys who were having cramping issues. One guy had a calf all tightened up-I saw him trying to stretch it out leaning against a tree. I was watching my watch, I knew I was going to make it under 5 hours but not under 4:50. I didn't have a specific time in mind but I didn't want 4:58:57 or something that was just barely under 5 hours. I kept cruising along and then I came across Jack which I figured he would come out to find me with the camera. I said Hi, that I was doing fine and kept going. He got a few pictures of me from behind mostly. He wasn't keeping up with as well as he usually does. You don't think it was because he ran the VT City Marathon the Sunday before, then ran the 10 miles home after, probably had run 80 miles already during the week, now did a trail marathon and ran 4 more miles after that!! Big grin It's a nice downhill finish and a couple friends of ours who were already done were hanging around eating and drinking (waiting for the pizza to arrive). I clicked my watch at 4:52:04 but my official time is 4:52:02. The results are fianlly posted and I finished 54th out of 212 overall and 5th for the women out of 55. Age group, I was 3rd for the 40 year olds-the 2nd overall woman was 51. I'm very excited about my results and its given me a needed boost in confidence about the upcoming 50 miler I have planned for July 5 (which isn't far away). Kelly

Ultrachick

Here are some pictures-photobucket isn't shrinking them so I have no idea how big they are and I haven't done this in a while... Here's the Portopotty.. On the table to the right was rolls of toilet paper in case you didn't want to wait in line and go al fresco. Here's the inside.... Jack and I with the finish award or even the start award-you can take it whenever.. Some action shots.... I got the picture thing figured out! Thanks for the help! Kelly
                            Jewels - In photobucket 1. Click "Edit" above the picture you want to post 2. Once the new page is ready, click "Resize" 3. Click "Preset Sizes" 4. Click "Message Board" 5. Save or copy over photo. Whatever you want to do. 6. Click "View Album" in the sort of upper right-hand corner 7. Click the link at "IMG Code" and copy 8. Come back here and click the last square above - the one that looks like a picture of a mountain 9. Paste your IMG link in between the ones now in your post 10. Go back and erase the [IMG] at both ends of your copied link, leaving only the img's in the brackets (<>) at the front and end. Voila!

Leslie
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Kelly - Way to go, girl!! You fairly blew that trail away! (Love the porta potty pic Wink ).

Leslie
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

flatland mountaineer

WTG Kelly!

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III