Masters Running

Wet May Day, 5.1.12 (Read 557 times)

coastwalker

Nice return to the Sneak for you and DH, Mtnchk1. Sounds like a fun race, despite the confusion on the course.

Good luck with the achilles, C-R. Take good advice wherever you find it - even at a soccer game.

Nice weekend recap, Ribs. Nice weekend too!

Sorry, Tammy, that's a heck of a way to lose weight and work your core. I think there are better alternatives...

Mike, nice run and time spend with DD! Maybe I should mix some running into my workouts. But I guess I'd have to start like a beginner, with short runs, and then slowly increase the distance. I'd also have to get some running shoes, since the shoes that I racewalk in don't have enough cushioning (for me) for running.

Sorry about the shin pain, PBJ. Best to dial it back till you get it worked out.

Nice surprise, Opie, that the new ED is another Fanatic.

Wildchild, you're doing a great job for the Colorado Dept. of Tourism. Sounds (and looks) like you had a greta weekend with Skip and Semomgo.(Edited to correct my geographic 'whoops' - thanks Stumpy!)

Congrats on your Medicaid victory, Holly!

Mariposai, that wild asparagus must have been delicious! The fresher, the better.

3.1 EZ-PZ miles at 4:10am - 47 drizzly and wind-swept degrees. Yep, the quads are still sore (what, am I old or something??), so I just did some very easy racewalking this morning. I did a lot of stretching when I got back, and got up close and painful with my roller. Getting better...

Enjoy your May Day!  -  Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

I'm back on the DL again.  I tweaked my back putting on my shoes this morning.  I hope this is a short term thing.  I'm thinking I should be fine to swim, though running and biking are out.  That would be good anyway because I have some obvious stroke flaws that need many days and many meters to work out the kinks.

Holly, nicely done on your solo Medicaid case.  We never doubted you.

I wanna run with Skip too.  Oh, and with WildChild and Mariposai too.  I wanna walk with Jay too (the normal way though.)  And MikeE if he'll run slow enough to keep me in the same zipcode.  And Holly, Evanflein and Leslie and ... Okay all of you.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

I'm sure she likes Wyoming, but I think Carolyn actually lives in Colorado Wink

By waiting an hour or so, I missed the rain that Jay enjoyed this morning.  47° with wet ground, but none in the air.  3.8 miles at what is a pretty rapid pace these days--9:20 M/M.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Good morning!

Great pictures of Skip, Carolyn and Seemomgo yesterday.   Skip is one lucky fella!

Congratulations on your medicaid case Holly!   We found out that mom is just too healthy to even get her foot in the door with them.   Which is a good thing in the grand scheme of things I guess.  Wink     Congrats on your 50K too!!

I would have to run to keep up with Jay's walking!

Ooh Noo Mr. Byll!!   I hope you are not on the DL for long!

Welcome back SteveP!   I bet avenger doggie was so happy to go run, run, run again!

{{{JLynne}}} I did have a chance to read your post before you deleted it, but my prayers are with you.

6 miles for me this morning.   Cloudy day, but the temps were up in the 40's already, so capris were sufficient.  I am not sure what to do about shoes for my 25K.   I have discovered that the PureFlow's are hurting the joint of my big toe, just my right foot.   It is like the seam of the lacebox goes right accross that joint and after several miles I can hardly walk/bend that toe.   I've been using my Adreneline's for most of my runs lately, and the PureFlows for the speed work.   Should I wear the lighter, speedier PureFlow's for my race and tought it out?   I think that if I only wear them once this week and not at all next that it might be all right??

Happy MAY DAY!!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
          It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Mariposai

{{{{{{{bregarcito}}}}}}}} sorry to hear that you are on the DL.

Tramps, how are you doing?

Where is nonoruns? I miss that girl.

Ribs, great article about Liz and your meet up with her.

Exciting morning around here. as I was running in downtown Omak, a black bear, about 4 years old, crossed the street about 50 feet away from me! He looked at me, I looked at him and we ran out own way!. 6 miles this glorious morning!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Henrun

{{{{{{Byll}}}}

Finally back to doing yoga without shoulder pain. It is wet here, as mentioned. Got in early to the Y so did all of 1 mile on the TM before yoga. Was going to swim but too much to do.

Marj is coming home a bit early so that we can go to annual meeting of  state's psychiatric society where I'm being honored for 50 years in my profession. We're heading to Philly this weekend where I'll be honored at the national convention for the same thingSmile. I guess it pays to get old.

Top 'O the World!

Well, it is a common confusion, they're both square chunks of land w/lots of mountains somewhere waaaay out West!

Congrats on your win, Holly! Smile

{{Byll!}} WHAT kind of shoes do you lift?? Shocked

Dad used to bring home wild asparagras from his dog runs when I was a kid...Approve 

Mary - I'd go for your most comfortable long run shoes. That way you can focus on having a good time!

WOW! Posie got a bear siting!!  How exciting!!  ~ 'tis that time of year around here too....although I haven't personally seen any, a few are making the news hanging out in trees near the college dorms...must be all the popcorn going on there!

Getting speedy there, Kev! Wink

Just shy of 5 mosey doggie miles this am....I swear that girl takes more time finding juuuuust the right potty stop than a teenaged girl shopping for a prom dress!! Roll eyes

Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

nothing rainy about May Day in usually rainy Seattle.

wish you were all here and I'd go for a rare training run too.

Especially holly to tell me all about not only tax but Medicaid now too.

your'e really something.  I think you better come to Opie's conference. ha ha

I liked your yesterday's list opie.  Let's bring back aamos too.

..===============

I tweaked my back putting on my shoes this morning.  

I wanna run with Skip too.  Oh, and with WildChild and Mariposai too.  I wanna walk with Jay too (the normal way though.)  And MikeE if he'll run slow enough to keep me in the same zipcode.  And Holly, Evanflein and Leslie and ... Okay all of you.

Hey trybyll -

I have an idea how you can run with me,

keep yourself from hurting your back,

and cut down on your transition times too. Smile 

Glad mari got to see a bear as she was too BQ-fast to see the one

that brought her DS and me to a grinding halt in last  year's Tunnel Marathon.

me too on nono

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Congratulations, Henry!

A little over 2 miles this morning.  Not very far but enough the way my legs feel and to wake up without the alarm in time to do it is very important right now. It's a struggle in the morning humidity and I need to acclimate better by doing it more often.

"I didn’t run a race until I was 41 and that was a marathon! Let that sink in for a minute." -me

Hey all, I just can't keep up with this fabulous group.

I am seriously lacking in my running.  I had a sore back for a few weeks, and no, that wasn't a good enough excuse, it would have been fine for running.

We poured a cement slab for the hot tub at the cottage on the weekend.  Boy was that hard work, well, for DH it was as I said no lifting for me.  It looks good though.  Next is to enlist a couple big strong guys to move the hot tub into position.

I need to get back running.  It has been very windy and rainy lately, and that has been my excuse.  But when I went to bed yesterday, I remembered, duh, that I do own a TM!!  (I conveniently forgot!)  So this morning I was going to run on it.  Somehow, instead, I just had a very long dream of running on it while I was still dozing and oversleeping!  I need some kind of mechanical device to get me out of bed and a decaf coffee down my throat.  I have no mojo.

Skip, you coming by WA state?  Maybe we can work something out with the Seattle contingent.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

TammyinGP

good morning everyone!

Congrats on a job well done Holly!

sorry to hear of the back achies, Bill. Hopefully it's short lived.

I registered yesterday for the 1st of 3 half marathons I'll be running this fall. The trail marathon hasn't even opened up for registration yet. and I think the 3rd HM is open, but I'd rather just pay for one at a time. less painful that way. I should be able to get in the 3 HM's costs for what it would cost to run one marathon. Getting a little more bang for my buck I suppose.

I also found another 5K for my son and I to run the end of June. Some of his track teammates will also be running in it.

This Saturday we are going to watch the conference meet of the 7th/8th graders on his team. Said he wants to get there early so he can see his team do their warm-ups. He's still been going out in the yard and doing his agility warm-ups each day after school and running a 2 mile course that he designed on our property. He has to jump over a big tree stump and our burn-pile. He calls those his "hurdles".

We do have quite a legal contingent on the board here. It'd be interesting to see what areas of law we cover also. I'm criminal defense (same as Aamos when she posted here and was practicing law - we are both even with a public defender's office)

Tammy

aka FlyingFinn

Congratulations on your honors, Henry! Age has its dividends, yes, and so does being dedicated for a long time.

Kudos on your tough ultra and your project, Holly!

The hot tub sounds great, enke. How is your pet lizard? 5th grade will receive a shipment of Anole lizards this week for their science class while 3rd grade is getting Bess beetles. The kids are supposed to tie dental floss harnesses around them and have them pull paper clips. Poor beetles.

I haven't found any wild asparagus or morel mushrooms yet this season.  It has taken much willpower to not pick any "tame" asparagus sprouts in the garden.  The plants will get stronger if I wait a year or two longer to begin harvesting.  The purple variety I'm growing is really pretty. I wonder if purple asparagus will turn green when cooked, like purple beans do.  I enjoyed a lot of time in the garden last weekend and it's beginning to shape up nicely.

Yesterday I did my first run since Boston, just a 2 mile walk/run, and my ankle felt fine, so  I'll do it again today. Last night we had our second fencing lesson. I do think I'm going to like this sport!  We began learning defense and simple parrying techniques. Our instructor said he can tell I'd probably like the Epee better than foil, but for now there's plenty to learn in foil.  After class it's fun to hang around and watch the advanced fencers...they're so smooth and quick.

I hope I get to see Skip, too, when he swings through OH!

Instructions for living a life:

Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it.   ~~~Mary Oliver

Speaking of Aamos - where'd she go?? Confused

Byll - Hope the back behaves itself.  If I tried to swim, I'd have to first work out how to stay on top of the water! Big grin

Tammy - What trail HM are you going to sign up for?

Never had wild asparagus, but it sounds wonderful.  I wouldn't even know what to look for.

Re the Legal Contingent - First, congrats, Holly, on winning your first case!  When are you going for your law degree? Second, I think this group could start its own law practice.  Third, I do estate planning, probates, and trust administration.

6.20 miles for me this a.m., which included 6 x 100m downhill strides at the end (a gentle downhill).  I felt really good the whole time, and followed up the run with a little over 30 min of core/strength training - mostly upper body with a couple of leg exercises thrown in to try and keep things in balance.

Cisco has become an escape artist, so we have to keep a close eye on him when we have his cage door open.  Yesterday it was a flutter of wings, a thump to the floor, and here he came strutting into my office like he owned the world.  . . . . okay, he owns us.  We even bought him a little birdy playground, so that's where he spent the hour after his escape, eating birdy crack (aka millet).

That's about it for now.  Later ~

Leslie
                            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

TammyinGP

Leslie, it's an Inaugural Trail HM and the RD is Timothy Olsen. It's not far from my house and begins/ends at a winery. The Enchanted Forest Wine Run. noon starting time, 9/29. Come on up!! You have a place to stay you know! I think I sent you a friend request on FB last week and Tim has a FB page for this race. Get thee self over there and accept my friend request and I'll send you the info page on it.

Tammy

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

I'm sure she likes Wyoming, but I think Carolyn actually lives in Colorado Wink

I bet wildchild and MikeE love Wyoming after May 27

<<<( http://www.angelfire.com/wy2/marathon Wink>>>

congratulations henry. Have a grand time with all your friends over the years.

You make it all worthwhile for the rnest of us too, you know.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)