Masters Running

Fri April 25 Runs and Workouts (Read 468 times)

seemomgo

Went out for my morning run today and WHOOSH!!!! Holy toledo the wind just about took me to Kansas!!! I'm no small flower either - so, needless to say I came back inside, made a nice cup of tea and am trying to catch up on Boston reports. JJJ - enjoy your trip and be careful! Where is Vista this morning with his inspriational post? Wildchild - I forgot to tell you welcome back - how's that job situation coming along? You signing up for Bolder Boulder? Pass along your smile today - it's contagious!
      It's been fun getting started on the Boston reports. I'm looking forward to getting to the rest of them. Tall, thanks for letting us know about topdown's great Boston. lynden, nice progression run. seemom, congrats to seeboy on his speech contest win. mgerwien, welcome and post often. Holly congrats on both house closings this afternoon. Dave, I loved your restaurant story. roch, that's neat that you got in your first golf course run of the year and that the rain cooperated. Nice long runs for breger (with repeats) and Roy. Good job on the speedwork for Tall (with hills) and craneium. This morning, it was in the mid to high 50s with some wind. The predicted rain stopped before I got up and isn't supposed to be back until later today so I lucked out on that. I did 8 mi. in a little under 1:18 for a 9:43 pace. TomS

King of PhotoShop

Holly and others, I still have some RR's to read. Will get to everyone else today. I don't like to miss a word when it's Boston. Always something to learn. PBJ, it feels just great to see you posting again. Lou, nice quick feet today. Dave! Good one. 3.8 very slow miles this morning. Tomorrow will wrap up my 2nd 25 mile week. It's going to start getting warm here now. The Saint is running around White Rock Lake this morning with a girlfriend, so they will get in 10-11 today, her last long run before next week's race. I have kind of a question, kind of a rant for you today. You know how when you are driving down a street and a car approaches from a side street and pulls out in front of you so that you have to slow down? Is it just me getting old and grouchy, or has the distance that people feel they can pull out decreased? It used to be you waited to pull out so that you didn't inconvenience anyone coming at you, but today it seems people just pull out whenever they feel like it. Spareribs
        Dave59

I have kind of a question, kind of a rant for you today. You know how when you are driving down a street and a car approaches from a side street and pulls out in front of you so that you have to slow down?
          And then 1/4 mile down the road they have to make a left hand turn into Taco Bell and hold you up even more!

dg.

I have kind of a question, kind of a rant for you today. You know how when you are driving down a street and a car approaches from a side street and pulls out in front of you so that you have to slow down? Is it just me getting old and grouchy, or has the distance that people feel they can pull out decreased? It used to be you waited to pull out so that you didn't inconvenience anyone coming at you, but today it seems people just pull out whenever they feel like it. Spareribs
            Maybe I'm just getting old & grouchy too. But I have honestly been thinking lately that I have to expand my driving vocabulary, which consists of "idiot!". Inevitably, they make the light, & you do not. congratulations on your 2nd post injury 25 mile week. Smile
              Today was supposed to be my traditional first OU golf course run of the year, but I woke at 5:30 to the sound of a downpour and scotched the idea.
              Really you shouldn't drink so early in the day! Thanks Spareribs for your advice on how to run my last 12 miler this weekend. It sounded sound. I just want everyone to know I read and equally savoured all the Boston reports even though I didn't reply to all of them. You guys rock! And, what a good looking bunch. Supposed to do 5 miles today - I am pushing it to tomorrow since I am still running a fever of about 100 although I am starting to feel better than yesterday. Interestingly, my resting HR yesterday afternoon was 68 when it is normally 50!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Renee the dog

SR & Dave, Yeah...I apparently say a lot in those situations, "Another idiot doing a break check on me" as my DD said that the other day when I had to slow down due to a pull-out. Really -- how are they so sure I'm going to adjust my speed? Brave souls. No run for me today. I think I was the last post on yesterday's daily. Nothing worth repeating. Maybe some yoga today, if my furniture delivers sooner rather than later. Good runs/workouts to all!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Happy Friday running and workouts everyone! JJJ, you're gonna do great at Promise Land 50K!!!! I ran 3x this week but did not post--work and all--I will try to finish reading everyone's Boston RRs this weekend. Today is an XT day (lots of plyometrics). Hope everyone has a good day and even better weekend Smile
                  btb1490

I think I was the last post on yesterday's daily. Nothing worth repeating.
                    You may not think so, bit I think it is.... Smile
                    Back from 5 starry (and slow) miles tonight with my babysitter. She gave blood, came home, napped, and insisted on running tonight. I modified our route so that we basically made concentric circles around our block so that we weren't too far from home if she had to bail or I had to revive her. She did fine. Ah to be 17 and an athlete. Oh wait, I was. A looong time ago. I've been popping in, reading race reports, crying, etc. You guys sure have made me cry more than I probably have in the last 10 years with all the reports. I'm so moved by everyone's commitment, motivation, lessons learned, etc. It's great to be hanging around here!
                    TammyinGP

Today I'll get in a run at lunchtime and I'm planning on a 10 miler tomorrow. Haven't done any runs much past 4 miles for the last few wks I think. It'll feel good to hit the pavement for awhile and soak up the sun we are supposed to have all day tomorrow. And my son has a baseball game at 11 a.m., so it should start warming up by then too. this morning on the way to work, as every morning, I pull from my side street onto a busier road. I inch forward just enough to see when I'm in the clear to pull out. Some old fart slows way down when he sees me and swerves his car over as if he thought I was going to pull right out in front of him. He glares at me, shaking his fist as he drives past me. Sheesh, pops, the nose of my car ain't that long and I wasn't even pulled out enough to hit ya. Chill dude! Some old peeps sure get curmudgeonly. Roll eyes

Tammy

Wow, An hour and 15 minutes on the Cross Canada Trail just now. hot out there today...need to get used to that in case its hot's at my marathon in 5 weeks. I sweated like a pig even though I was taking it easy. Really burnt out from yesterdays hill repeats...Off day tomorrow before tackling a 38K with L on Sunday morning....better get my beauty rest Big grin have a great one guys and gals... Tall

Recent Best times: None recently

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Mary, wow! you are doing so much. Cool you're getting things tested... was it you that had your body composition tested a few days ago? that's on my list... was going to do it on my birthday but asked after my run & he said it's better before... so now my benchmark motivation is past, & I'm waiting till I'm happier with what the scale says. chicken. btw, I can't imagine yours was bad! of course, if it wasn't you, little of this applies. does your gym also do a fitness test?
                          Yes, that was me! I suggest you do it now - it might give you that motivation you are looking for. I know it worked for me!! Yes they do a fitness test too. I really have to work on my flexibility which I already knew. I am 48 with a body of a 42 year old. I'm can bump off 2 more years by being more flexible and a few other things. It really is kind of fun and certainly interesting!!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                          It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

evanflein

Ribs, I just hate that. We have a long stretch of road with a side road at one end. They can see for a long ways if there's anyone behind the oncoming car. I've had some pull out right in front of me even when it's obvious there's no one behind me (i.e., no long wait), and I'm cruising along at 65 or so and they pull out and virtually stop in the road. Grrr! Angry Now, I've got nothing against someone pulling out to avoid a long line of cars moving slowly or even at speed limit... but find the gas and get going!! And don't pull out in front of someone if you're not going to get out of the way. BTW, I say much more than "idiot" when they do this. Tight lipped Ok, I need new shoes. Not running shoes, although those are due for replacement soon too. My work shoes, Josef Seibel flats (loafer syle, used to be comfy) hurt my feet. I was sore on the way to Boston, even iced my feet Saturday night, but a couple days out of these shoes and I was ok. Now, wore them half the day Wednesday, all day yesterday, and ow! My right foot feels like there's a swollen lump under the ball of my foot, base of 2nd and 3rd toes. I took them off and am wearing my outdoor shoes... Why would these do that? I'm mad cuz they weren't cheap, and used to feel fine (if not a wee bit short on the affected foot). I was going to try a short EZ run tonight, but if I do it'll be on the treadmill. We had 2" of snow at our house this morning Angry and now it's snow/rain/gloomy carp out there. But DH has a vendor rep in town, and he wants to take us to dinner right after work... so a run may not happen at all anyway. Oh well. I'll ice my foot. (I must be grumpy today... lots of scowling faces!)
                              There was snow on the grass today. I am so ready to retire the down coat downstairs! The wind is whipping out there, too. Angry 5 miles Wed., Thurs. and today. I keep getting slower. The wind is getting stronger. I think there's a relationship. Half the Sox have the flu. Work is still seemingly under the spell of the waning full moon. Really glad it's Friday. half a grin, A
                              Masters 2000 miles
                              PJH

Speaking of pulling out into traffic, it reminded me of an incident that happened during the race Monday. We were 4 or 5 miles into the race when a young boy about 10 yrs old ran onto the road and joined the run (his family was watching him). We were moving at a pretty good clip so he had to move his legs very quickly. It was also very crowded at this point. How long do you think he lasted ... right, about 20 yards before he decided to exit the course. He turned sharply left to get off the road, cutting off and tripping the girl right in front of me. She sprawled forward and just managed to recover before fully hitting the ground. I had to pull up sharply to avoid falling over her. She may have scraped her knee, but said she was okay in response to the concerns of everyone around her. She picked herself up and continued on okay. I'm surprised the parents were oblivious to what was going on with their son. It could have proved disasterous for the young lady, and all of us around her. PJ