Masters Running

Tuesday's Daily, 5.13.14 (Read 35 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' friends!

Sounds like most of our goddesses had great Mother's Days. I have no doubt that each one was well-deserved!

Nice run in nice weather, Mariposai.

Congrats on the high-mileage week, Leslie! Bummer about the tendonitis, though. It's good that you are taking care of it post-haste.

Ribs, you've been around these parts long enough to know that it takes a while to get back into a normal rhythm, especially after something like what you went through. Don't rush it. Nice cooking by you and the boys on Sunday.

Tselbes, getting out the door can often be an issue of mind over matter. I'm glad you did get out yesterday, despite the yucky, and had a very good run.

Great run at Mt. Tom with Iron J, CNY. Don't dwell on the 'lasts' with kiddo - think also about the 'nexts.'

Good gentle encouragement for Mike, Tet.

Enough with the snow, already, WC! Yikes!! I hope it fades fast.

Great sentiments from your 11 y.o., Holly. From what I know, it's all more than true.

Sounds like a fabulous meal, Twocat - almost makes me wish I was your mother...(that's so wrong in so many ways, isn't it?) Nice 10-miler with extra hills.

Great run for you too, Mike, especially for not feeling so good before. Maybe there is something to this feeling lousy before a workout...

Nice 5.55 at 5:15 yesterday, Evanflein. Too bad the 2nd part of the trail was so beat up - I'm glad you survived in one piece. Whats "72 & sunny?"

5.4 easy RW miles at J o'dark. I've still got a bit of leg fatigue from Satuirday's race, so I'm just taking it easy for now. Yes, it's still dark when I head out, although I'm enjoying some pre-sunrise daylight by the time I get back home.

Have a greta Tuesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Sayhey! MM#130

Holly, so glad you posted the list.  It is just wonderful.  And yes, as has been noted, it will be a very helpful morale booster to pull out and reread during some days in her teen years, perhaps.  (Of course, one of my friends from the teen years remembers her mom warning her about being a mom.  Her daughter, now in her 20s, is and always has been a peach.

Jay, ever have this kind of a morning?  I got up in time to get out well before sunrise, drinking coffee and perusing the paper and I just decided that it was so very pleasant doing that, I would wait until it got a little lighter so I could go out without the headlight and flash, etc.  I think it may be a cut-back week, with the crewing this weekend and all (will mean less miles than usual).    So 6 and a third easy for me this am, just going by feel and making each mile a tad faster.  Speed work tonight .

Greta post yesterday, tselbs.  Like that FB post from your niece.

So Mike, now that I've run all of ONE Ultra, here's my advice: Listen to Carolyn.  I went out on a training run and religiously followed a 9 minute run, 1 minute walk schedule.  She told me it's better to just walk the uphills and run the rest.  Then "my" ultra turned out to be very very wet (there is talk now of renaming it a duathlon!) and I did precisely what she said, i.e., I ran the dry areas and walked (waded) the wet ones.  Is it Vermont?  I wish I still lived in western MA and could just shoot up there and do it.  I checked the website recently just for fun and thought it looked outstanding.  And I love Vermont.   Have a blast!

Always love your food posts, twocat.  I always think of you when I use your brussel sprouts recipe.  Speaking of maligned veggies, here's a recent tip I got from a professional chef.  He makes a really yummy butternut squash soup that is not laden with cream.  He says his secret is to use cooked parsips and blend them up with the squash.

Never thought of deboning chicken so you could have the skin, Ribs....b/c when the chicken is deboned at the market, it's also skinless, right?  But the skin, not so good for you, or a little bit is ok?  You are quite the gent to cook up such a feast.

I cooked a bunch on Sunday so I don't have to during the week when I go to club runs, but I was assisted by the boys....Sox on the radio at 3 pm and it was a good game to listen to while in the kitchen (sorry, Ribs), so good so good so good. Right Kevin?  Simon (the bird) is not doing so well on that one (so good) , but he is coming along on saying "Caroline" -- it's sort of 2 syllables and kinda rhymes with "I'm fine."    (He's got "Coco" down (the other cat)).

Anyone thinking of/committed to San Francisco?

Saw a running buddy this morning.  He has today off and was completing a 10 miler.  I was so happy to have the chance to chat with him; he and his wife (an elementary school teacher) became foster parents just about a year ago.  (He and I were running a lot of Saturday long runs and "tune up" runs last summer so I got to follow this saga first hand.)  Their first child was a 15 month old girl, born drug addicted to a mom who had lost children in the past via state intervention.  Because of that, the law allows the state to move more swiftly in subsequent cases (vs. the "reasonable efforts" that it must make to reunite a family when removing a child).  Long story short, the mom unfortunately continued to relapse, missed visits, etc.  My friends love this little girl, and are committed to her, e.g.,  they had to get the judge's permission to take her out of state, which they did when the dad, my running friend, went to DC for the Marine Corps Marathon last year.  No way they would leave her with family here!     Just yesterday, the adoption when through.  Wish I could share the photos; she looks adorable (she has changed so much since last summer, it has been incredible to watch her bloom.)  And the parents, well, yeah, couldn't look any prouder.  We're all just smiling and feeling good vicariously here.  So that's a happy story for your Tuesday.

grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Marathon Maniac #957

Jay - taking it easy is good....

Amy - I used to work for an attorney who did a lot of Guardian ad Litem work for juvenile court, and we saw a lot of those foster-to-adopt cases, some with happy endings and some with sad ones.  One case, where the foster parents got the child at 6 days old, raised him until he was 2 1/2, when the birth mother won him back - it was heartbreaking.  On the other hand, one of my DD's friends was taken in at 2 days old by a couple, and then her birth mother came back to get her when she was a toddler.  In this case, the adopting couple and the birth mother worked out an arrangement whereby the couple is raising the child, but the birth mother is in her life as well, getting visitation every weekend, which seems to be working well (she is 11 now).

6 easy-paced miles for me this morning in 70 degrees.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Holly, very sweet statements by your DD and very true.

Just like Jay, I'd like to be Twocat's MIL....., just for the food that is.

Carolyn....SNOW??

Went out this morning, so nice, so nice, sunny and mid to high 50s.  IRC.  5 miles around the neighbourhood.  Knee still a bit gimpy, wish that would just go away so that I could ramp up mileage.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

...MORNIN' GUYS

============

....36mprnb

deo

..............FlareUp may finally be ending,

so

Planning to OverDo It this weekend

......................good running guys

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

King of PhotoShop

I don't walk as fast as the Saint, so generally she doesn't like to walk with me, but under my new circumstances she wants to keep an eye on me so we went to the park and walk 2.3 miles, saw many friends and had fun.

The post-op literature I took home with me from the hospital said to not be surprised if there was some minor bleeding. Since I haven't bled since I've been home I was pretty happy, but today I have some, so I'll wait to see how long that takes to go away. Not overly concerned, it's just that blood is messy.

Tonight I'm going to cook us up a mess of pasta, with leeks, pancetta and parmesan.  Been craving that for a while!  Spareribs

coastwalker being my mom has one other drawback, she has long been deceased.  You might consider enkephalin's alternative of being my MIL who is still quite alive and well.  I am always amazed at how you can get up and go out in the dark day-after-day.  I can do it every now and then, but not more than that.  Normally, I end up doing what AamosY does, get up, think I might head out while it is still dark, procrastinate and when the light peaks up over the horizon head out!

Mike E just measure 26.2 in feet, that is a 138k race which should solve all of your what to sign up for problems!

evanflein baby reindeer!  Next time get a picture to post!  Whatever the smoke's source I sure hope it goes away fast.

Spareribs best wishes on your continued recovery.  Your pasta dish sounds quite good!  What do you use for moisture, olive oil or is there enough fat in the pancetta and cheese?

tomwhite I so hope your flareup is ending!  Your daily workouts despite all of your body's complaints are just amazing!

This morning I got up and did an hour on the elliptical.  Then it was off to the office.  So exciting!  Tomorrow I have an early appointment.  Fortunately, our new building includes a set of showers so I can bring in my gym bag and run later on.  The bad news is that it may be raining and that will pretty much deep six the whole idea.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Holly - Very sweet from your daughter.  Be sure and reminder of that when she's testing your nerves in a few years.

Congrats to your friends, Amy.  Sounds like the little girl picked winners.

2Kitty - There is no soap in that rain.  It won't kill you.  Promise!

MikeE - Yeah, what Carolyn said. Run a lot on trails and hills.  But I agree that starting now for a Sept ultra is a bit early.  You can google various training programs for 50k and 50 milers and figure out what suits you best.  Here's a good article from Trail Runner magazine.

About 30 min of core and UB today.  Tempo hill work tonight.  Ick.  I just have to keep reminding myself, "It makes me stronger.  It makes me stronger."

Leslie
                  Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

fatozzig check with any cat (see your avatar).  Getting wet causes permanent physical damage. 

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Leslie
                      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

fatozzig check with any cat (see your avatar).  Getting wet causes permanent physical damage. 

but can you run 75mph (cheetah), jump straight up 15' and straight down 60' (cougar aka mountain lion)?

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

tetsujin209, well I can sleep for 12 hours (felis catus) ! 

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

So...speaking of ultra marathon training...I actually found a 16 week training plan in Runners World that looks like it would work.  And if I take a couple of weeks off after my marathon, I will have 17 weeks before the ultra.  I wish the Hanson Brothers had a 50 mile training plan...I would follow any plan those guys come up with.

Anyway...enough about me...hmmm...I don't know what else to talk about, now.  Oh--hey--the Buffalo Marathon is in 11 days...wait...that's just more about me, isn't it?

Okay--that's it.  See ya!

Fly by post before I hit the hay. I am behind on the dailies, but skimmed them to check for pictures. Nice one of MikeE and family. That snow has to quit sometime, Carolyn, but it sure is pretty! Holly, what a sweet surprise for you on Mother's Day.

I did a dumb thing and donated a pint of blood last Thursday. I didn't have time to run or go to the Y but had some time before Orchestra practice. Now I am kinda dragging even more than normal. I left town early Friday and was with kids and grandkids all weekend, absolutely loving every minute.

When I got to the Cities on Friday afternoon I headed straight to  Erik's Bike Shop to start looking for a road bike, thinking I would end up with a entry level road bike, Specialized brand, most likely. I ended up with a Raleigh Revino, carbon fibre bike. It has electric shifters! I figured it would be the last bike I will buy, so decided to splurge.  This was my reward for hitting the 20 pound weight-loss mark on my journey back to fitness. I took it for a spin tonight after I ran the lake first. It is pretty with lots of pink accessories but not really a girly bike.

I ordered some rain gear from Cabela's tonight so now it won't rain all summer and we really need all the rain we can get Here in SW MN.

Good night and have good running tomorrow everyone. Ribs take it easy now, ya hear?

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

evanflein

Holly, remember that picture you took of my house in 2012 from the road? I'd like to see that, if you could post it that would be great. Right now I'm mourning the loss of our beautiful birch trees. They really had to go. Really. No fault of their own. The idiot who built the house didn't seem to realize trees would grow. The two trees to the east of the house were shifting the foundation up, so the door frame of our garage door was being shifted up to the side. They shed twigs, branches, leaves and sap on the roof and driveway. They little the roof and yard with all that, too. So... recognizing the damage they're doing to the house as worse than how much I love them (sniff...), they had to go. So, five gorgeous birch trees gone. Now I have stumps to deal with. And no more character in the front of the house. Sad

No run today. Too busy during the day, then it was just too damn windy tonight. The wind is just a "day thing" and should subside tomorrow, so it's all fine. I needed to do laundry tonight, anyway.