Masters Running

Thursday's Daily, 12.4.14 (Read 33 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

Slo, nice TV coverage of your race!

"Last night I almost shaved off the beard." Sounds remarkably similar to a line from an old CSN&Y song ("Almost Cut My Hair"). The last time I shaved my beard off was, I believe, in '76. It is amusing to think that I have a lot more relatives and friends who have never seen me without it than those who have.

Sorry about the bang, bang, bang, MS! Nobody got hurt?

I'm glad your knee issue isn't more serious, Roch. Have fun with the red car! But didn't I read a report some years ago that said that red cars are exponentially more likely to get pulled over by the police?

C-R, Leslie is right - the beavers would like you to represent them...

6.1 RW miles early this morning. Too bad the moon was setting as I headed out - the light would have been nice. But I'll see a bit more of it tomorrow. After yesterday's day-long rain, and with temps in the low/mid 30s, there were some slick spots on the roads this morning. So I only went halfast today. I met up with another walker along the way, and slowed down for about a half mile so we could chat a bit. Nice.

Have a greta Thursday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Good morning Jay and all to follow. When I read your post about only going "halfast" I took it another way

Sorry about your weather Erika. That's just plain old mean.

A red sports car, huh? You're never too old for one of those.

Borderline inside/outside running this morning. It was only 7° but no wind. I just didn't feel like bundling up to run in the dark. So off to the Y for 5 miles, or 70 - count 'em - 70 laps around that stoopid track. It wasn't quite as crowded today but this indoor running is starting to take a toll on my knees. Hope it warms up soon.

We had our home inspection yesterday. Everything went fine and we met the new owners. A younger couple with an 8 year old daughter. They'll fit into our neighborhood very nicely. DH and I were always the "grandma and grandpa" around here.

21 days until Christmas - how are y'all doing?!

Mariposai

21 days until Christmas - how are y'all doing?!

Just fine. Done with shopping, except that special present to mail to my DS's girlfriend in Macedonia. My goal for the next 21 days is to get rid of a few pounds I gained during the Thanksgiving holiday. Speaking of Thanksgiving, I had so much fun with enkie and her kids and rami, the dog.

Wave of visitors number 3 arrived yesterday afternoon as wave two was leaving town. Our friend Alex is here for a few days. Another person to pamper and cook for, yeahh...life is good.

Up at 5 for what I thought it would be an outside run, but the strong north wind made me go back inside and did 7 miles on the TM, in days like this I am thankful that I have one in my house so I can change my plans. 2 miles easy, the rest at almost marathon pace while watching the morning news.

Any news from Aamos???

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Thanks halfast.  Smile

Where’s twocat? My brain’s atrophying.
          Where’s aamos? My heart’s aching.
          Where’s avenger ? My dog’s lonely.
          how's rib's old age, .. I mean fatique.

Is dg still runnin’
          no wonder I don’t like FB so much.
          erika - it used to be such a shock to land in San Diego in January for the then San Diego Marathon (now Carlsbad) and look out the window at cargo crews in shorts and t-shirts.
          posie - I know alex.

Have her show you how to make paper placeholders for chopsticks.

Our friend Alex is here for a few days. Another person to pamper and cook for, yeahh...life is good.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

JLynne - Where are you moving to?  I missed that somewhere along the line.

Erika - What brand of bed did you get?  Our bed is in such bad shape, I don't think a topper will work.

4 EZ miles this a.m.  My back is having to get used to running again.  I go through this every time I don't run for awhile and start back up.  It was a beautiful predawn morning though, totally clear, a sky chock full of stars, and just a hint of crispness in the air.  Took off my sleeves and gloves after less than 2 miles.

Have a good day ~

Leslie
            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Marathon Maniac #957

Leslie - we have a Temperpedic bed for my DH's back, but we bought it on a 4-year payment plan.  Personally I was happy with our old bed, but you know.    Perhaps you could get a memory-foam mattress cover for the new bed to add to the comfort without breaking the bank?

An early morning marketing meeting cut my time short today.  In fact, we have morning activities for the next 3 days - dentist for DS tomorrow, out-of-town BB game for DD on Saturday, and a matinee performance on Sunday that we must be there at 11am for, so I am trying to figure out which day will work best for my LR.  I prefer Friday, but would have to be done by 8:30 to get DS to his appt.  Do any of you morning runners ever try to do a LR in the afternoon?

3.6 miles for me this morning.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

mustang sally

Bad faerie

Thanks to those who enquired - the three-flat ride (I suppose that's a ride in E-flat major) didn't hurt anyone, but the whole group was really cold and wet by the time everyone was up and going again.

Deez, bike-fixing is fun and rewards thoughtful tinkering and Using the Right Tool for the Job over brute muscle.  Many shops offer repair courses during the winter season - have a look around your town and see what you can find.

Had a lovely spin-before-the-telly last night (gawd, I hate riding the trainer) and have decided that this winter I'll discover "Orange is the New Black."  I'm in sad condition but it's a start, and I got off the bike feeling good about having done it.

Today, however, I was an idiot, and took my marginal ankle out for a run.  Now, I could have done the smart thing and taken my barely-functional, easily sprained ankle out for a boring pavement run around the suburban office park, but at the last minute, I was seduced by open rolling woods and dirt roads and went a-frolicking.  I found myself sprawled on my face whimpering about 20 minutes into the frolic. It appears that a root jumped up, grabbed my big toe, and wrenched me to the ground.  My colleague just picked another leaf out of my hair and I must go find ice.

Jeez.

Dave59

I                  
                    ran                
                        miles            
                          in          
                            my        
                              new      
                                shoes.    
                                  Good  
                                    run.

Marathon Maniac #957

It appears that a root jumped up, grabbed my big toe, and wrenched me to the ground.  

This has happened to me before, too....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

mrrun

There appear to be a lot of VICIOUS ROOTS in the country - we find them in the northeast also.  one found henry in the middle of a race several years ago with blood running down his arms - of course he finished the race!

This morning, it was about 20° and there was a light breeze.  I got in 5 miles at an 11:12 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

evanflein

Oh Mustang Sally, I know how that feels! I fell three times during the "Musk Ox Run" trail race in late August (or early September? can't recall now, whatever). I rarely fall during races, and usually only once a year or so in training runs (usually a 20 miler pre-Equinox). But this year, it felt like the roots were grabbing my toes and pulling me down, just like you described! Falling sucks. I hope you're ok, or at least none the worse for wear.

Glad

you

the

new

shoes,

Dave

Leslie, I'd have to pull up the bedding to check the label, but I think it's a Simmons Beautyrest or some dumb name like that. Honestly though, just go and lie around on a few floor samples. Don't let the salesperson pressure you to hurry up. And the big pillow-top models are not the best ones for many folks. And ask about the return/exchange policy and warranty. Glad to see you back out for a run, grrl!

Holly, I would be asking the same thing for a morning run, but there's no way I'd do an early morning long run here in the winter. Nope, no way. Afternoon runs are awesome, just do it!

I hope Slo shaved, that beard ages you so much. Jay, funny about your long-term fuzziness. My DH shaved his mustache last year and it surprised the hell out of me. I don't remember ever seeing him without it, although I suppose he didn't have it in high school. Didn't last long though, he grew it back pretty quickly.

So, it's middle of the afternoon here and it's still -6° out there! WTH? I didn't bring my running stuff with me today because our roads are plowed and I figured a hilly run from home tonight would be fine, but I'm not liking the temps out there. Hoping it just shows we have a temperature inversion and it's warmer at home. I guess I'll find out in a couple hours.

So, it's middle of the afternoon here and it's still -6° out there! WTH? I didn't bring my running stuff with me today because our roads are plowed and I figured a hilly run from home tonight would be fine, but I'm not liking the temps out there. Hoping it just shows we have a temperature inversion and it's warmer at home. I guess I'll find out in a couple hours.

YIKES!!  Any time I start to complain about the cold temps here,  I need to remember what you deal with all the time!!

Enjoyed a 6.1 mile run this afternoon about 12 hours after Jay did the same number of miles!!  I need to remember the headlamp when I go out after 4p - second time this week I was caught with it getting too dark and I don't want any of those nasty tree roots you guys are all talking about to grab me!!

Have a great night all!!

denise

evanflein

YIKES!!  Any time I start to complain about the cold temps here,  I need to remember what you deal with all the time!!

Ha, and Deez, I'm spoiled because we've had such a mild winter so far! This is our first appreciable snow, and one of our few below zero days. It would not be unusual to be -20° or colder at this time of year! The thing I'm concerned about is we always seem to "pay" for the milder temps later on. Our nice fall (September, October, November) could give way to some pretty cold weeks ahead for late December, January and February!!

Glad that you had a great trip to Hawaii, Erica. You have determination to run through the winters, so -6 doesn't seem bad? We are getting into the 20-30's now, a heat wave! MS, if I ran on trails I am sure I would take many tumbles, take care.

Roch, I have heard that about red cars being pulled over too so watch out.

MrStarr shaved his beard a few months ago and looked so different, especially with the 60 pounds he lost. It is growing back now, and some of the weight too.

Today is day 8 since foot surgery, a cheilectomy. Saw the doctor today and he said to keep doing what I am doing ( not working) and come back in a week. It seems to hurt a bit more tonight. I did get some Christmas stuff at the dollar store while I was out, but it was a quick trip. The family comes in2 weeks to celebrate an early Christmas.  I finished knitting a sweater that I started for myself in 2009! Now back to more hat knitting.

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich