Masters Running

It is Friday!!! we survived the week!!!!!! (Read 408 times)

evanflein

Tim for me I can't do the elliptical (or the Stair master) because if flexes my foot too much and/or puts too much pressure/weight on the front (ball) of my foot. That's where my problem is. Also, with the achilles, I don't know if it stretched it too much on the back part of the motion, but I found it aggravated the tendon. Good luck figuring it all out, but I agree you'll be back on the roads pretty soon.
      Tim, I'm not you but if it was me I'd be seriously considering option 1. Get that Boot on and get off the roads. Let all those 4 injuries heal up completely. When you come back you'll have some loss of fitness, but it'll come back really quick. Within a month or two, if fully healed, you'll be right back in the game. Just my far away viewpoint. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Tim - geez. That stinks. No advice, but thinking about you.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Tim, I'm not you but if it was me I'd be seriously considering option 1. Get that Boot on and get off the roads. Let all those 4 injuries heal up completely. When you come back you'll have some loss of fitness, but it'll come back really quick. Within a month or two, if fully healed, you'll be right back in the game. Just my far away viewpoint. Bill
          Tim: I have to echo Bill's thoughts to the "T". I'm not you and I know that were I in your shoes I don't think I would like it, however if I really thought about it then that would be the best option overall. Besides at least it's winter time and you'll be just about getting back into top shape when the weather starts warming up. Just my 2 cents! Whatever you decide to do I wish you the very best and of course a speedy recovery.
          xor

More positive mojo for Daniel.

wildchild

Carolyn

Hugs to Amy and Daniel - glad it went well today! Wishing Daniel a speedy recovery. Eliz, you were sure right about the vacuum from political ads being very quickly filled by Christmas ads! We keep the mute button handy too. Craneium, good luck with the v-ball championships! Sounds exciting! Oh, man, Timbo, so sorry to hear the bad news. But it's a really good thing you went to the doctor, and didn't just take time off and hope it got better. Work has been really slow this week - we have lots of clients under contract but we're waiting on information from many of them before we can get to work on their air permit applications. So I took today off - I had to take DD to the orthodontist anyway, and run errands. Took the day off from running, too, since I had 3 carpy runs in a row. Hope a day off makes my long run tomorrow more sproinky. And I really shouldn't complain about carpy runs, as they're better than not running at all.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Marathon Maniac #957

Tim - a couple of years ago I had to take 6 weeks off of cardio after a minor surgery, and I was surprised to find that, not only did I NOT gain weight, but, once I gave in to it, it really wasn't so bad. And when I started back, although I had lost some fitness, it came back fairly quickly. I'm just sayin', like Bill and Maine are saying, that some time completely off, to let these things all heal up, might be a good thing. These things could nag you for years if they don't heal up right. It'd be nice if you could swim, though...just to keep the crazy at bay...

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Prince of Fatness

biketm ... I would go with option one. You want to knock this thing completely out. Plus, it eliminates the possibility of overdoing it when you should be taking it easy. Not that you would ever do that (16 miles Shocked). I tore a muscle in my groin a couple of years back. It was pretty bad. Blood draining down past my knee bad. I missed 6 weeks running. After that I eased back into it. I ended up running a 15K 3 or 4 weeks after starting up and did surprisingly well. The point is that you are very fit now, and you won't lose all of your fitness in 2 months. It may feel like it that first week back, but you'll regain fitness much faster than someone that went into it living a sedentary lifestyle. My 2 cents ... good luck.

Not at it at all. 

Mariposai

2 EZ miles tonight just to try out my new headlamp. Tim drinking a beer with you right now....would you let me talk you into using the boots so you will never have to say...I wish I had... 20 years from now. Proper healing is important for an athlete.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

dg.

a short gym workout tonight. 3.09 mile run, 9:36 average pace, & 30 min. on the elliptical. stretching. whirlpool. now i'm relaxed & tired. will read the rest of the thread tomorrow.
                      TammyinGP

I'm so bummed to hear this news Tim Cry

Tammy

Took a personal day to avoid a mind-numbing in-service and enjoyed a rare morning run on a school day. Set out without much of a plan other than to see how far I could run without taking a walk break. Ran 5 miles with only one 0.1-mile walk (right before a rather urgent trip back home to the bathroom Embarrassed) at a decent pace for moi. Now off to stretch and shower before some long-overdue self-pampering at the salon. Haven't had my hair cut since late July, so I'm going all out and getting some highlights, too. Then off to the shore Eliz
                          That sounds like a great day. 'The highlighting' part is lost on me (I'm bald), but I catch your drift......

Marathon Maniac #3309

tim/tet taper agreement No way, no way, we're not gunna let you beat us in the tapering contest 'cause a doctor makes you do it so, except for prearranged tammy's 10K birthday run (11/23) and the pre-paid ($100) Seattle Marathon weekend (11/29-30), I'm with you all the way bro and vow not to run again until you can too. dated this seventh day of November 2008 at Seattle, Washington. notes 1. this agreement valid from 11/7/08 - 3/1/09 (~110 days) 2. Resolution Run/Plunge 5K goddess exception - (in case any goddesses need someone to hold their hand again for the plunge part). 3. no matter what the doctor says, you are hereby authorized to walk/shuffle/jog/etc. barefoot if you want.
                            Ok, you had to pull out the Tammy card...not fair at all. It makes me want to go out and run tomorrow am, but can't....you sneaky dawg... Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

TammyinGP

Big grin I'm running 9 tomorrow Tim. And I'm dedicating my race to you. I'll be thinking and praying for you tons Tim. For patience, thorough and speedy healing, patience, no complications and some more patience.

Tammy

Marathon Maniac #3309

Big grin I'm running 9 tomorrow Tim. And I'm dedicating my race to you. I'll be thinking and praying for you tons Tim. For patience, thorough and speedy healing, patience, no complications and some more patience.
                                Tammy, geez, you are making me tear up...ok... crying to be honest. Ya know, like I told Holly. I can be hardcore and run through about anything. But I have this gentle / soft side that is really emotional at times...I care about all of you very much!!! Go get um Tamster..I will be think'n bout you too on my 0 miles tomorrrow, which I am dreading....Twocat and tet, eat it up boys!! Thanks Tammy Sue...that's my new name for you... Ice on my foot Tim OK, option 1 or 2...I'm thinking 3....you all are making this tough. But option 2 would keep me some what sane...

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!