Masters Running

Monday, 8.6.12 (Read 394 times)

"It's the only world capital that starts with the letter i."   Spareribs

It's been in the news a lot lately.  Islamabad, Pakistan.

12.4 endurance biking miles - the last 8 of which ridden in a driving rain storm.  Kinda fun --- till I realized I had less than 1/2 square inches of rubber on the asphalt which was covered with puddles and rivers of water.  Made for slow, cautious corners ...

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Marathon Maniac #3309

Hi all....

Dove, 2.6 mile trail loops for 24 hours - I can't imagine that

Thought I would quickly share how Donna did in her first race ever race Saturday - 1/2 trail marathon. I reluctantly talked her into this race, as she didn't really know anything about run races, especially a trail race. When I signed us up the temps were hot and close to 100 degrees, and I hoped it would cool off some - didn't very much.

Got up early and drove to Indianapolis to pick our packets up, and it was already around 80 degrees and very humid at 6:00am. Oh well, I told her to run very very easy and not push the pace......I planned to run the whole race with her, to experience it with her too. We started off and she immediately took off way to fast as she got excited, and after 1 mile I grabbed her and we stopped. She was already sweating profusely and was out of breath. I told her to slow way down and run relaxed, and run a pace she knew she could keep up for 13 miles - I'm proud because she ran smart the race from that point. She thanked me afterwards as she knew she would have crashed and burned very early...

Pretty tough trail race with some steep hills a person almost had to crawl up - probably 50 big trees that had fallen over the trail that a person had to jump or climb over (I don't like that) - some sections of running on large gravel which hurts the feet - and a couple of miles on a highway that was very hot.

I told Donna if she just kept running easy and consistent that she would be passing many runners towards the end, and that happened and she loved that feeling. The last couple of miles she picked the pace up and she finished strong and with a big smile on her face. You know what she said right when we finished ??? She said.............I wanna do that again Big grin I told her she should would love it with as much as she runs.

After we cooled off in a sprinkler (ended up being 90 degrees at the end) we walked over to the results board (I didn't care for myself obviously) But Donna found her named and asked what the number 3 meant in the results line. I smiled and tolded her that she finished 3rd in her AG.....it was so special and exciting seeing the look on her face, and she got a AG medal and a picture on the podium. I ran every step either right behind her or by her side and wouldn't have changed a thing.......I've had plenty of races.

Here's a picture right before the start....

- CIMG2347 -

Here's a goof ball picture of me trying to get over a guard rail.....this is when we had to run on a highway - Donna right ahead of me.

tim 12 m trail 

And a picture later relaxing :-)

tim and donna closer

Very fun day, and thought you all would be happy about a new (ish) runner and now racer (she's 50 years old and a master too and just started running a few years ago) We talk all the time about how great it is that we run together, along with other things....but running is what brought us together.

Next up, 1/2 marathon road race September 1st in Bluffton Indiana...her idea Smile

TimBo

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

OrangeMat

MM #6177

Nice pictures, Tim! You two look very happy together Smile

Yes, I'm back! Wow, what a week it was, and I am HOPELESSLY behind in all the goings on here. Haven't even had a moment to look at any posts, but I just wanted to say hi to everyone. And once again, to thank Wildchild for her wonderful hospitality (seems so long ago already!). Just a quick question though, what was the name of that trail we ran with you? I've spent the better part of the morning trying to update my running log from the past week....

Anyway, hope everyone is doing well here, and I'll be back in the next day or so to catch up, and maybe even tell the tales of my trail running camp experience in Estes Park, CO. Happy Monday, all!

I knew I had to stay away from this place yesterday.  I though I had DVRed the women's marathon and planned to watch it in the evening.  My DW and I went to a Christening and then a post-ceremony brunch.  During both I had to keep walking away from conversations about the race!  I was not going to risk finding out anything by coming here!  Sure enough, I looked through yesterday's thread and I am glad I stayed off.  Then the bad news hit.  For some reason my DVR did not record the race!  Ugh!  But then good news!  It turns out NBC offers full replays of all or at least many of the events (from what I can tell even if they did not televise it) on the internet.  Better yet, the replay is start to finish without any commercials or little documentaries!  So my DW and I watched the women's marathon commercial and documentary free!  Big grin  Well, we started together.  Then about half way through she decided to look up the results and head up to bed.  I watched it until the end and it was a great race all around.

About Mariposai's avatar.  There is a town in Italy called Alberobello in which the local craftsmen produce very elaborate lucky whistles.  Some are nearly a foot tall and look like something out of Alice in Wonderland.  There are contests in which the craftsmen compete and the store my DW and I patronized was run by a very nice guy who was all too happy to show us his various prize winning whistles.  They are very cool.  The lucky part of the deal comes with one pretty significant hitch; a whistle is only lucky if you buy it as a present and then lucky only for the person you give it to.  So if you buy and keep the whistle yourself it is just decorative, no luck included!  Sad  In light of that no luck clause my DW and I purchased one for my SIL of a (what else) dog and one for Mariposai of (again what else) a butterfly.  There you have it the story behind Mariposai's avatar and now fully operational lucky whistle.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

wildchild

Carolyn

Just a quick question though, what was the name of that trail we ran with you? I've spent the better part of the morning trying to update my running log from the past week....

We started and ended on the Blue Grouse Trail.  The loop from there included the Elk Trail (up the meadow) the Coyote Trail (up the steep rocks) and the Mule Deer Trail (across Frazer meadow and back down to the Blue Grouse Trail.)  You could just put "Golden Gate Canyon State Park" in your log. Smile

Rest day for me today.  I rolled my ankle (not badly) at mile 11 yesterday, and ran another 10 miles on it after that.  It's a little sore today.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Interesting story behind the whistle.  Thanks for sharing it!

Rest day for me, however, as of today I'm getting back into core/strength training on Tuesdays and Thursday.  There was a lot of "damage" over the past 4 months with no ST!  Arggh!

Leslie
              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

C-R

Nicely done Timbo and Donna. 

That's where we run most Sunday's and there are a couple of nice hills and tree hops. Heh.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Avenger Doggie

protector of my dad

managed to crack a rib. OUCH! 

Spareribs??

Me and Dad went run run run on some trails we did not go on in a long time. There were lots of big big sticks laying down. I jumped over them or went under them. Dad kinda tried to climb over them and made old grumpy noises. We got was out far and we found a big big pipe going under a way old trail. It had lots and lots of water coming out of it. Dad took his glasses off and went on the pipe. I started yelling at him, but he jumped anyway. I ran down to go get him and saw a big stick. So I got that instead. Dad kelpt falling down when he tried to get out. But I had a stick and it was OK.  

When he got out went ran back to the truck. After jumping in the water, Dad had a hard time keeping up with the rocks and trees.

Sniffing Butts, Tag

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

hey dove, nice sun hat. 

Any particular color you'd like for a happy coat 

to go with it  when I go over there this week?

I'm already looking forward to bringin' back

a red dress for one of the kanreki goddesses too

Hope it's cooler down in Olympia for your 24 hour run

Troy - is OFF still the best?  I didn't believe it at the time but I remember reading a Jack London story about some horses' fatal stampede off a cliff when they were being eaten alive by the mosquitos, horseflies, white and black socks.  Then I found out what it's like when my Off wore of on a hot day. ayyyyyyyyyyy.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Dovenator, please take care!

I'm surfacing after a relay (Cascade Lakes), where my masters women team swept the non-existent competition and clinched victory in our division!  Yay, team Pretty in Stink!

I melted in the heat in leg 1.  Tamster knows what heat I'm talkinabout.  So, facing the same heat in leg 3 the next day, I held 20oz of gatorade in a waistpack and 20 oz of water in a handheld.  Treated myself to a head dousing and a drink every 10 minutes.  Yay, it worked!  I didn't have to walk until mile 7 or so.  This 3rd leg was on a trail, and I tripped once, falling to the ground like the dork I am.  But that only made me look ruff & tuff at the finish line (I ran the anchor leg).  I don't look forward to seeing what I look in the finish line team photo...

Congratulations Tim and Donna - great pictures!

Welcome home OM!

The mystery of the whistle picture is solved. Thanks Twocat.

Avenger Dog - Big grin But I think if Ribs were to give anyone an "extra" it would be Dove. Hope you feel better.

Once again, I remind everyone about the unique olympic sport of biathlon where you ski, then stop and shoot a gun. Was this necessary at some point that the pioneers could only hunt game during the winter if they were skiing? Confused

Holly - wait until DS gets his license. That will be a whole new set of worries!

Congrats to Pretty in Stink. How could you lose with a name like that!

Thanks for sharing that video Mariposai. Speaking of trails, I just finished reading "Wild" by Cheryl Strayed. She hiked the Pacific Crest Trail alone - took her several months. A good read and I highly recommend it.

5 miles before work this morning in marvelous running conditions. It was 53° with a clear dark sky filled with a smiling moon and lots of stars. Hope everyone else is enjoying the cooler weather as well!

King of PhotoShop

Well if anyone gets to crack me, I hope it's Dove.  I just admire her so much.

Good job Bill.  Islamabad it is.

Which U. S. state is larger in total area, Nevada or Arizona?  We got this one wrong.    Spareribs

The phone interview for the Legal Services Managing Attorney position in Newburgh went well.  I asked a lot of questions.  There will be a second round of interviews so maybe they'll fly me up for that.  I'll write a thank you note tonight to the Deputy Director who interviewed me.

Short run tonight.  I could have done it before work but it was nice to sleep in.  Strides were planned as well but my PT thinks not.  She's a runner and worked on a spot I've having trouble with sort of behind one knee, where the hamstring attaches.  Strides and softball last night seem to aggravate it.

"I didn’t run a race until I was 41 and that was a marathon! Let that sink in for a minute." -me

Dove

The Dovenator

hey dove, nice sun hat. 

Any particular color you'd like for a happy coat 

to go with it  when I go over there this week?

I'm already looking forward to bringin' back

a red dress for one of the kanreki goddesses too

Hope it's cooler down in Olympia for your 24 hour run

Seriously Tet? You would bring me a happy coat? I've always loved pink (or any color, really).

The Hamster Run is in Bellingham, around Lake Paden. Olympia has a fixed time the same weekend, but only for 12 hours and on a fully exposed 1.5 mile loop. I've done that race for the last two years, but this year I want to support the new 24-hour Hamster Run. We need more 24-hour races in the PNW.

BTW, it was an honor to wear your sun hat for an hour or so.

"it's just like having fun, but different"

King of PhotoShop

Overposting today and I'm sorry about it but here is a part of Joe's obit:

"Joseph John Wojcik, Sr. laced up his running shoes for the last time and crossed the

ultimate finish line on Tuesday, July 31, 2012 in Claremont, California. He was 71 years

old and had battled pancreatic cancer for 11 months.

Joe was born in Chicago, Illinois on 27 January, 1941 and grew up with his sister Diane

speaking Polish in the home. Joe was valedictorian of his high school class at Holy

Trinity High School where he played baseball, football and basketball. In 1962, Joe

graduated from the United States Military Academy at West Point, New York where he

was a regimental boxing champion, Vice Chairman of the Honor Committee and

Training Officer on the Brigade Staff.

After receiving his commission in the U.S. Air Force, he was assigned to Bitburg Air

Force Base in Germany where he was a missile maintenance officer and coached the

base and squadron basketball and baseball teams. After serving in the Air Force, Joe

worked for Johnson and Johnson in New Brunswick, New Jersey. He obtained his MBA

from NYU in 1973 . In 1982, Joe moved his family to Claremont. He ended his corporate

career at the age of 54 after working for Merck/Medco where he managed their mail

order pharmacy in Las Vegas, Nevada. After retirement, Joe volunteered his time by

teaching English to Polish students in Poland, coaching his grandson

ʼs basketball

teams, editing courses at the Claremont Colleges, golfing, traveling and running.

Perhaps Joe

ʼs greatest legacy was his running streak of 12,628 days (34.5 years) of

daily running. This feat included 60 marathons, and running in all 50 states and 27

countries. His total distance over this period was 63,140 miles for an average daily run

of 5 miles. He ran the Boston Marathon 8 times and the Los Angeles Marathon 24 years

in a row."  Spareribs