Masters Running

Sunday 8/23/15 Still-Summer Runs (Read 40 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

Hello!

Where is everyone?

10 miles for me this morning in 67-ish degrees.  That puts me at 53.7 miles for the week, which is my highest mileage week in almost exactly a year.

Went to church this morning and dragged DD and DH (DS had to work).  We've been slacking lately and it felt good to be back.  Homecare and errands for the rest of the day.

Just remember, even though the kids are back in school, it is still summer until September 23!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Hello back.  thoght I might be somewhat late getting in.

Not a whole lot to add, however.  8.16 miles this morning.  just a hair over 10m/m, but I did manage almost a m/m faster last mile.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Dave59

I did a little exploring today. I followed a trail that starts near the condo and made it to the park where the 5k was yesterday.  It was only a mile on the trail but it was somewhat overgrown and not something I will not do very often.  Where I came into the park I found a place where runners parked and went running.  I imagine I will do that more often than the trail.

I made it 5.15 miles total today. I ran into a guy I talked to at the race yesterday and he gave me some information on good places to run in the park.  He said one of the high schools in the area has a top cross country team and they run at the park.  He also thought they would clean-up and trim the trails for the team once the season gets going.  So I will keep an eye on things and if the trails look better I will give them another try.

I decided to skip yesterday's wacky distance race (alas, my favorite course of the year) to give my abdomen a full 10 days of rest.  So what did I do instead?  Throw my back out lifting a dumbbell.  Yes, I am one too.    That meant today was a do nothing active day.  I guess the "good news" is that I am getting some work done.  Which brings me here.  Since I am just watching a spinning icon go round and round as my code processes data I may as well do a couple of shout outs.

rochrunner this is certainly fall marathon training time.  Boy do I wish I was getting somewhere with that!

tselbs being spent at the end of a 10 mile race is no disgrace.  Heck, most people in this world cannot even run a mile.  Only on this forum is 10 miles considered routine!

AamosY and I guess others, word on the street is that Omak is relatively safe and that people are finally starting to win out against Vulcan.

Mariposai a TM run is better than a smoke filled one outside.  Glad you have the TM to use.

evanflein I have a friend that also thinks a race through mud, streams and whatnot is just dandy!  I do not get it, but I am glad you had fun.

mrrun careful with the frantic waving.  You do not want to throw out your shoulder!  

enkephalin I cannot believe that in less than a month you will be out east for the relay!  Happy training.

stumpy77 I hope the food was good at the festival.  What did you end up getting?

Dave59 when in doubt go with the Garmin was wrong.  Was the course certified?

Mike E to date I have been looking to do the City of Trees marathon in Boise.  But, I am going to have to see where I am starting on Wednesday after I start running again.  I may yet have to pick a race later in the season.

Jlynne what do you do with spaghetti squash?  Every time I get it and try to make it into something it is just a bland awful mess.  I need a really good recipe for it as I apparently have none.

coastwalker how did the race go?

Holly S. nice, busting 50 miles in a week is a lot of miles!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Marathon Maniac #957

and not something I will not do very often.  

Uh oh, looks like Dave is "going native" now that he is in West Virginia.  

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Strangely, for an Italian festival, they had several town based food trucks and I got Jamaican curry chicken with rice and beans. Yummy!

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

janie b good

long time, no post.  a lot has happened since my last post in march (I think?).  my mom passed away from ALS first week of april.  I decided to rejoin the workforce soon after.  so, have been working fulltime for the first time in over 5 years.  took a while to get back in the swing of things, and my running has suffered.  attempting a comeback ...

3.04 miles; slow but steady.  legs felt good; lungs were burning.

(hello running, my old friend, I've come to talk with you again)

goodness is its own reward; for more tangible outcomes, you need to try badness.

Sayhey! MM#130

Happy birthday Ribs!

we Italians just love food, Stumps

14.5 for me w/ a couple of bridge crossings

And less mileage for me this week than Holly (48)

prudently,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

HermosaBoy

Hey all -- crazy week with the new job and the first week of XC practice for my high school team.  Very busy.

Had an odd experience yesterday when I bonked on a long run for the first time in I don't know how long.  Think it was probably a result of a high dewpoint sneaking up on me, but it sure wasn't fun.  That's the problem with out and backs -- if you crash, you still have to do the full distance.  Feeling better today.  Smile

On to a new week.

Good runs all!!!

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

I just can't seem to get back in the swing of posting regularly - so sorry! I read and use the log, but just can't seem to add my thoughts often.

Janie - sorry to hear about your mom.

Last weekend we went to Mont Tremblant for Nicholas's Ironman - which I know some of you saw my multitude of FB posts - and I have to say it was one of the most amazing events I have ever experienced!!  I was so proud of Nicholas especially considering that awful week at Christmas when we thought he had lymphoma. He started this, followed the plan and did a wonderful job - not just in his race, but with planning the whole trip and including his family. He made me very proud!! We all stayed right thru midnight and helped cheered in the final finisher - it was so exciting to be there - the crowd was roaring!!

Me - ran 6.6 miles before work this morning. Today was Day 3 of 4 12 hour shifts in a row - blech - but have to say we haven't had such quiet days in ages!! I'm a little worried about what tomorrow will bring!  Next weekend is my 2nd 70.3 triathlon at Old Orchard Beach then have to really shift focus to my fall marathon.

Fleet feet my friends and always remember to cherish the gift!!

denise

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

Twocat--you do realize, we're talking about 2016, right?

Very sorry about your mom, janie.

Congratulations to Nicholas!!

I did 5.2, tonight.  I was hoping to run with my granddaughters but they decided not to.  I got to spend some time with them, anyway, so it was fun.

Today is my Missy's (my oldest daughter) birthday and tomorrow is Larva's birthday.  These two kids have grown into such great adults, it's sometimes, hard to believe they're actually mine.  They are pretty special.

Okay--that's it.  Is it really Monday, tomorrow?  Crap!  See ya!

Mariposai

No running again today. There is way too much post fire recovery work to the done....and yes...the dragon is still spitting out fire...not in Omak now, at least.

I decided that posting on RA is my daily routine and I need to get back to that routine, even when I am wearing face mask inside my house because of the bad, dangerous air pollution. Not complaining. I still have a home and no major lost to our property.

Run a few miles for me tomorrow, please. Even running indoors is not advice at this point form the Dept. of Health (at least for asthma plague people like me)

Cheers1

Posie

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

evanflein

Sorry about that, Mariposai, but yes, unless you have a tight house with HEPA filtration, there's small particles in the inside air, too. Just not as much (but still a danger). We go through that, too. Any rain in your forecast?

Ran the hardest part of the Equinox course today and did pretty well. Started at about mile 8 and went up, up, up, and then the out-and-back. Geez, this thing gets steeper every year, I swear. Had pretty good times (within goal) of the major markers on the course (to the top of the Chute, to do the out-and-back, to go from Chute back to car) so that's nice to see. For example, I wanted to get from the car to the top of the Chute (about 4.5 miles) in 48 to 50 minutes, and made it in 47:33, the out-and-back is about 5 miles and did that in just over 46 minutes. The whole run took just under 2:31 which was right about what I'd wanted.

Here's the elevation profile, hope this works (the "publish" feature isn't there anymore). (you need to change the y-axis to elevation to see it)

Leaving tonight for Dallas, quick trip since I'll be back late Tuesday night. I'll try to get a run in Monday afternoon on the hotel treadmill, but planning on taking Tuesday off.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Washington Forest Fire Smoke now over Seattle.

the reversing winds that killed three firefighters on the other side of the state at the end-of-the-week have  brought the smoke and haze from the devastation to the Pacific side of the Cascade Mountains so thick that the orange sunset glow starts an hour-and-half before it should and the sun disappeared into smoke is so thick through the horizon it set 15-20 minutes before it should.  N soot settling noticeable smoke in the air breathing.
                              That’s a long day deezie sticking around for hours into the evening after Nicholas’ splendid IM but, having my last three finishes after 11:00pm, it’s as exciting as when they start streaming in after their marathons when most of us are still on the bike course. Have fun in your Half Iron next week (1.2/56/26.2 = 70.3 miles).  A certain hilly PNW half remains as much harder than any of the IM's.
                              In today's annual super-spring triathlon (0 25/16.3.1 = 19.35 miles)  that the aging process has reduced me to , my transition times slipped a tiny bit (0:01.4 seconds / 0:00.4 seconds, respectively) but, for the first time in the endlessly deteriorating times since aging decided to kick in, every leg improved significantly for a 15min/43.5sec faster finish than last year’s 2:05:27.0. Yippee.  Maybe all that training is worth it after all.
                              Better yet, not having to shed wet suit and change shoes between legs ensured I beat all the other 505 five competitors in transitions times again. Too bad they don’t have a transition trophy. Double Yippee.

ps erika - I still have that Equinox elevation on the yellow T from 2007

from you.  thanks. I be they looked spectacular in the yellow birch leaves.

did  the Chute survive?

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

SteveP

Mariposai and people in her area have been in my thoughts and prayers.

Uh Oh...Dave's already making friends.

Janie, as good as it is to see you, I'm sorry about your mom.

Yay Nicholas!

We need transition trophies! Outstanding, Tet!

Over the weekend, we had a nice little set of trail races. There were three half marathons, a full and a a 50 miles ultra. All day, there were a series of kids one races.They're promoted as being one of the toughest in the state. We were able to borrow my little running buddy, Noah so he could see what weekend party races were about. He was impressed. There's non stop music, a variety of food and beverages all day and into the night. One of the neighbors turns their property into a weekend campground.

I took 20 min off of my time from last year and finished at 3:15 ish. DW said that GS had his fastest mile to date.

His finisher's medal was all pretty colors and mine was a drab bronze. I asked if we could trade and he graciously accepted.

SteveP