Masters Running

Let's Take Thursday By The Tail 3/21/24 (Read 35 times)

SteveP

Jay starts the day scotch free.  He was able to log an early 5.65 RW miles.

Holly can boast an impressive weight loss. She's evaluating her overall fitness with a high tech scale. 3 miles helped her to start the day.  Hopefully there is a bone density treatment with minimal side effects.

Dave59 had to put Spring Break in FL on hold.  Boo Work.  He pushed through a kettlebell workout after news and coffee. The SMART guy manages his way through the day.

Leslie has a 50 min. core and strength workout.  She celebrates with a ladies night out.

Tammy checks in. She plans a Wednesday run.

Tetsujin209  has insights on trail cleaning.  He boasts 48F temps, cherry blossoms and charcoal shades.

Anneb shares a personal sentiment.  Laptops without a keyboard and monitor are not too handy.  She stepped into a 2 HR indoor bike ride.

Tramps worked his way through a blustery 21.5 mile bike ride!  Well done.

KSA's stunt double, Robert Earl, caught a squirrel!  She had a sunny 8.1 miles.

Stumpy checks in and shares some pooch pride.

Reviewing our pet's hunting skills from Wednesday is worth the read.

By the time I get home and do the husband thing,

Like... washing the dishes?  Or... vacuuming?

Dishes, yes....if that is what needs to be done.  Vacuuming....not that late.  Keep in mind, I don't do either correctly.  No one once ever died because of the way I vacuum.

MikeE churned out 12 miles!!!!

Mariposai kicks out a lunch break three!  Good on ya!

Dunkin dog had a tender start on Wednesday.  He absolutely did not want to go out in the morning.  While we are camping, he's fallen in love with the space heater.  He and I went to visit my younger brother for the afternoon.  It was enjoyable.  We got back to the camper and I did the vacuuming thing and puttered around.  It was after 6:00 PM and the dog wanted to get out.  We kept it to 2.1 miles on a new trail.

I really like how he will see something out of the ordinary.  Stand back and study it.

When we got back, he started carrying dry dog food back to his bed by the mouthful.

I'm picking DW up tonight and she'll have a long weekend.

SteveP

Dave59

Up at 4:00 AM to see Cindy off to Florida and load her luggage in the car. Then after a cup of coffee I went out for a 3.4 mile run. I ran in the hilly neighborhood around our house and crossed paths with 4 other runners. That was highly unusual.

I saw a raccoon limping across the road and then later I came across a spooky deer. The deer walked slowly across the road right in front of me, then it stopped and stared at me as I went by.

Marathon Maniac #957

Steve - love the pictures!  I, too, am in love with my space heater...

Dave - do you have the deer wasting disease where you live?  It causes strange symptoms, but one of them is a lack of fear of people.

I was awake at 3:15, laid in bed until almost 4, then got up.  Now I will be exhausted and frazzled by late afternoon.  Is it Friday yet?

I am picking up pizza on the way home, and the kids and their SOs are coming over for our first ever Game Night.  I am trying to find ways to spend time with them now that they are grown.  I figured they have lots of plan on the weekends, but maybe could spare a couple of hours on a weeknight.  Hopefully they will have fun and want to do it again.

20 minutes on the stationary bike, followed by upper body weights and core.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

SteveP

I am picking up pizza on the way home, and the kids and their SOs are coming over for our first ever Game Night.  I am trying to find ways to spend time with them now that they are grown.  I figured they have lots of plan on the weekends, but maybe could spare a couple of hours on a weeknight.  Hopefully they will have fun and want to do it again.

Love this

SteveP

Thanks, Steve.  Love the Dunkin pictures!

Holly- that's a great idea and I'm sure it will be fun.  Let us know how it all goes.

I was walking Robert Earl at 3:30, so I haven't done my run yet.  Ugh.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Tramps

Thanks for the start, Steve. Dunkin's so enthusastic. Enjoy your camping!

Good to get a Stumpy post yesterday.

What are you playing, Holly?

Chilly (for us) start today for a sunny 5-miler.

Be safe. Be kind.

SteveP great recap! I read what everyone is doing and feel like a slacker. Oh well...

Dave59, good call a 3.4 miler. The things we see when we run outdoors.

Holly, love your idea for a game night! While we were in Mexico, my DW and I started a game night with my SIL and brother Claude. We played some card games and Quiddler a fun game. We are contemplating opening this up to the kids and I use the term loosely as they are in their midthirties  and one forty yr old. Good work on the stationary bike. I'm guessing it isn't a recumbent bike?

Tramps, great 5 miler in reasonable temps?

32 F here this morning with a wind. I mustered a 4.01 miler and shook my head in despair. It was warmer here in January and February (while we were away). I guess February was the wrong month. Have a great day Masters!

Marathon Maniac #957

What are you playing, Holly

I am leaving it up to the kids, so I will let you know tomorrow.  DS and his GF are big gamers, with complicated games they buy at GenCon and the like, but I asked him to keep to the relatively uncomplicated games if they are bringing any over.

Sub - it actually is a recumbent bike, but the seat back is set to a more upright position but can be leaned back some.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Got over to the path mid-morning (I let it warm up a bit) for 5.2 miles.  Legs were tired from yesterday's 8 miles.  I'm finding that every year it seems harder to bounce back the next day.  But I did it!  50 and sunny.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Love the pics, Steve.  Does Dunkin know that crumbs in bed are not very comfortable?

Holly - A fun card and dice game is "Fill or Bust".  We've been playing it for years.

5 predawn miles with speedwork.  The speedwork went well.  I concentrated on keeping good form and my stride short, and my hamstrings cooperated.  Yay!

Yesterday, we had a roof company come out and give an estimate for repairs of 2 spots that are in bad shape.  When the guy says, for one spot, he's never seen anything like it (just from looking at it from the ground), you know it's not good. The Hub was home from his work, so I left and went back to work.  After work, I went to dinner with 2 of my best lady friends.  We talked Social Security and Medicare for The Hub, and I was feeling good until I got home and The Hub told me the roof guy is recommending we re-roof the entire house since it's at least 18 years old and the 2 spots are going to be significant repairs.  His rough estimate - $30,000.  I almost threw up my dinner.  I have another company coming out tomorrow, and I'm going to set up at least one more estimate.  We both agree we should go with a re-roofing no matter which company we choose, it's just a matter of coming up with the $$ since we obviously were not expecting this.  We talked about it a bit more this morning and I almost started crying.  Regardless of whether it's $30,000 or a bit less, it's going to be a huge expense.

On the upside, most roofing companies around here are 1 to 1 1/2 years out, which would give us more time to save.  As to the problem spots, they'd put a layover patch on them for now.

Leslie
                      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Holly, the reason I was asking is because I can't get comfortable on a recumbent bike but I do ok on the stationary. Mebbe it's because I try and ride a few times a week when weather permits on my road bike, to keep some of those muscles going in case I get called by one of the kids to train for a tri.

Karen, great 5.2 miler today. I'm still waiting for better weather but I'll tell you that track running and the dreadmill are poor substitutes...

BTY

Hi everyone!  It seems like I either have time to read the daily these days, or write an entry.  Today I will try to write an entry.  We'll see how it goes.

Thursdays are the days that I usually try to squeeze a strength and swimming workout double into the evening between the end of work and the start of trivia night at the local 99 restaurant. It's a lot of driving around but I can usually swing it.  On the 3rd Thursday of the month, though, I volunteer at our church's food pantry for an hour so that the neighbors who can't make the Thursday morning distribution can pick up in the early evening.  So I thought I'd miss my workouts, but so far none of the kids seem interested in our family trivia night, so I might get it in there after all.  Maybe it'll work out for the best because I have a swim meet on Saturday morning, my first since last June (!!!!!!!), and I would like to swim today and rest tomorrow.  I don't know about lifting.  My strength workouts are pretty short, only including 5 or 6 exercises, so I think I can fit that in there before the swimming, as usual, and won't have to pay for it on Saturday.   Anyway, I have another meet in April, another in May, and then the Empire State Senior Games in June, so I want to keep training hard for a while.   Tomorrow will definitely be a rest day...well, that is, unless I can't get over to the Y tonight, and then Friday will just be a swim workout and that's all.

DW is at her Mom's for the next three days, and will be there until Saturday afternoon, just after the meet.  Ironically, the meet is at the local university about 10 miles from her Mom's, (135 miles from our house) but she'll be tied up taking care of her Mom.  Her sister, though, is going to try to make it to the pool to cheer me on, and maybe her sister's husband, maybe.  The last I checked the entries, there was only one other swimmer in the Men's 55-59 AG, and when I checked his recent results in the Masters Database, he has been only competing in the longer distance events like the 1,000 and 1,650 yard freestyle.   He is VERY fast - number 3 this year in the US in the 1650, and number 33 in the 1,000 last year, and his 50 yard splits in those events are about as fast as my 50 yard sprints.   I can only assume he is swimming in one of those two, or maybe both of them, and (heh!) I won't have to go head to head with the likes of him.

Leslie, am I to guess you are a cadence runner? Damn 30 k is expensive for a reroof! Is it a large house or a house with a complicated roof structure? I hope you get a good price on the job.

Leslie, that seems like a lot.

I paid 16K a few years ago for torchdown (rubber). If you have shingles, I guess more, but not that much more.

Enjoyed seeing the very happy Dunkin photos.

Remi caught a couple red squirrels at the cabin, some baby bunnies, a rat or 2 maybe. Not sure what else. As he got older, he would make a very half-hearted attempt to chase the resident rabbits in my backyard. He would stop and just sit there watching them eat, just a few yards away. I guess a truce was made. He liked to eat their poop.

I'm impressed with everyone's running. I've got 1 more week of intense work, then smooth sailing until my scheduled layoff mid summer. So no excuses after that point. Heading to Vancouver later today for the weekend with my kids and a friend of my DD. Pokémon convention...DD is competing, just for fun.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Marathon Maniac #957

Leslie - Damn!  That is pricey!  Do you not have homeowner's insurance?  For that price I might start watching YouTube roofing tutorials.....I'm serious!

Enke - that convention is something my DS and his GF would go to.  They are the kind of adorable nerds who dress up for the Renaissance Festival and such.  And ComicCon, and GenCon, etc.  They actually met in a Dungeons & Dragons group as teenagers.