Masters Running

Saturday 11 activities (Read 36 times)

mrrun

Posting from Toronto where there's some excitement over the PanAm games.  we could see the fireworks from the CN tower from our apartment - after seeing some of the opening ceremony on jumbotrons

this is the flame - each of the petals has a sports activity - as much fun as this is, I hope Boston doesn't get 2024 olympics.

Good luck to racers this w/e and have fun no shout-outs except ((to anyone who needs one))!
    marj

Marathon Maniac #957

Marj - very cool!

I just picked a bunch of basil, kale and spinach from my garden.  Fresh basil smells wonderful!

My right knee has been sore off and on this season, and Charlevoix aggravated it quite a bit.  We are going to Pipestem State Park in WV from Wed-Sunday of the coming week, and I am considering taking a running break, or at least running very little, during the trip to give my knee a break.  That pace bunny just keeps getting farther away...

4 easy-paced miles for me today in 65 degrees.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mariposai

Very cool picture.

Good luck with that time off from running, Holly and take care of that knee.

Erika, re: waking up early. I do it every morning, so it is a routine for me. I run most days, the days I run short I come back home and do some home-caring.

Well, 3.5 miles for me this morning at what i wanted it to be a 5k pace. It took me 31 minutes . I lost my speedy legs .

Time to finish decorating the 50th wedding anniversary cake I have been working on for the last week. Have a great weekend my friends and don't overdue with the cross-training..

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

...mornin' guys//............easy on the knee Holly, WV is like a Big Knoxville, but with MORE hills......

=========

...just beat out a ThunderBoomer this morning.......one af the drawbacks of poolrunning

32-min poolrun, deep end only

........hopefully a bikeride tomorrow......

...........thanks for all the Kind Thoughts,

but

I can't wait til I can post '' NAILED IT'' on a trailrun,,,,,,,,er,,,,,,,walk

.................good running guys

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Dave59

Back is sore/tight so I did some stuff to get it loose, ran a couple miles, then did some more loosening work.  Had a hard time getting my socks on this morning.

We got an offer on the house yesterday and made a counter offer.

Sayhey! MM#130

Mornin' (still just barely)!

20 for me at a leisurely (not complaining, just noting one must be prudent in the heat) 9:30 pace.

good runs and/or rests, all and have a super Saturday.

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

King of PhotoShop

Being able to run forever is a far greater goal to achieve than weekly mileage, annual mileage, pace bunny crap and all that.  Got a sore knee? Rest it Holly. Good luck. And while on your subject, listen to Aamos, best advice of all.

I've had a good mileage week, so although legs are not fresh I am bothered by dropping out of that 5K two weeks ago and got up early to run a 5K, hosted by one of my two running clubs.  I didn't do well.  Walked twice during mile three, and finished in 30:14, a 9:37 pace, but as I said to the Saint, at least I didn't drop out.  So I'm in a bit of a slump.  Weather was standard July in TX stuff. We had a tenK race too, so many chose that event, which allowed me a 3rd in AG, not something I'm proud of.

OTOH, good news is that you see way more people at the back of the pack, and as this is a club I got to see many friends today, and that is one of the reasons why I race, a lot like tselbs does.  Had fun this morning.  Spareribs

HermosaBoy

Morning all -- hot and humid here in Minnesota.

Got up for a wedding day 5k and tied it to a workout.  10ish miles with some faster stuff thrown in.

Now to shower and head to the wedding.

Have a great day!!!

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

Dave59 good luck with the sale.

Holly S. I am going to second everything Spareribs wrote about your job and knee.

tomwhite we are all looking forward to that post!

The Rosie Ruiz Fan Club relay team added another member today.  If you are on the bubble time is running out!  Sign up today and spend 30 of the best hours you will ever have in a rolling party this September along New Hampshire's mountain and seaside roads!

Today's crazy distance race was 3.05 miles.  I finished in 21:17 for 56 OA.  The official results will not go up until the guy that does them gets around to typing them in.  Hard to complain when the 10 race series costs $30 total to enter!  Then again, my property tax bill does subsidize this event and a host of other things the park's department runs.  So maybe it is not so inexpensive after all.    Still, I am happy to have the town do it!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Hermosa, I'm glad to hear your interview went well.  I hope the results are good.  evan, good job in your mile race.  deez, nice race.  Holly, the family reunion would be a good time to take a break from running and let your knee get back to normal.  Dave, I hope the offer on the house pans out.  ribs, I've got the same attitude about keeping going without stressing about times, miles, etc (at least most of the time).  Enjoy what you do. Good racing.  Hermosa, nice 5K.  Twocat, good 3.05 mile race.

Slo, when we were in Charlevoix, I believe you mentioned a race called the Bix.  Small world.  I was talking to the owner of a local party store and he and his family are going to the quad cities to visit relatives next weekend.  His wife and son are planning on joining a cousin in running the Bix.

My wife found a bunch of wild blackberry bushes in the back part of our property.  She picked enough to make a batch of wild blackberry jam.  Very tasty.

The picture was taken beside the refrigerator.  The edge of the picture to the immediate left shows Michelle and Steve in a Charlevoix picture.  The edge of the picture to the left of that shows a picture from a few years ago at a get together in Ann Arbor.  It includes me, DaveinAA, SkipAZ, perchcreek, roch, and MarkGuy.  The pictures aren't very clear and just happened to show up behind the jam so I thought I'd comment.

This morning, it was in the low 50s when I went out and low 60s when I quit two hours later.  There was a light wind and some humidity.  I got in 10 miles at a 12:00 pace.  I'm wiped out now.  re ribs comments - I guess it's part of what one must accept with old age.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Slo

It is a small world Tom.

In two weeks 20,000 runners from the Bix and 15,000 cyclist from RAGBRAI will be convening in Davenport Ia.

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

In two weeks 20,000 runners from the Bix and 15,000 cyclist from RAGBRAI will be convening in Davenport Ia.

So...for a very short time, the total population of Davenport, IA will be 35,100?

I went and helped out a little bit at the Golden Lake Gallop, today.  It's a 4 mile and 2 mile race around...Golden Lake.  I don't know that I would consider myself a volunteer because I enjoy just hanging out with those people...I'm actually wondering if the kids are starting to think of me as "that creepy old man".  Anyway--it was fun.  If I remember correctly...and I should, since I was keeping time...the winner of the 4 mile did it in 22:28 and the winner of the 2 mile did it in 10:23.

I did 5.2 miles, today, in 40:48.  I bit slower pace than those kids who won the GLG.

I wanted to say a little bit about my job...and the dislike I have for it.  One of my (many) faults is--I don't speak up for myself.  I will--and have many times--gone to my bosses over the years and have fought to get something for the people I work with.  But when it comes to me--I keep my mouth shut.  So, while I have a whole bunch of complaints about my current job--how can I expect my boss to correct anything if I don't make him aware of my feelings.  Do I think it's unreasonable to expect me to work 9.75 hour days AND come in on Saturday?  Yes--but my boss works 10 - 12 hour days and is always in on Saturdays.  He thinks nothing of it.  Do I think it's unreasonable to expect me to get projects done while keeping track of the shop guys' times, keeping track of costs associated with jobs I have nothing to do with, running plans for people whenever they need them, stopping whatever I'm working on to upload information to the computers out in the shop so the guys can keep working, scanning and sending deliver tickets into the main office, making sure office supplies are maintained, cleaning the dang bathrooms, and a number of other things I can't think of at the moment?  Yes, I do.  Do I think I deserve to be yelled at by the bosses brother because I have allowed the shop guys to leave early on Friday--after they have put in their 40 hours for the week--and they are on time with our schedule?  No I don't.  But how does my boss know how I feel about these things if I don't tell him?  My point is--I have to take some of the responsibility for the way I am treated at work.  It's up to me to speak up and, if I don't, then that's on me.  I'm not sure why I went into all of that...but thanks for listening.

Okay--I guess that's all I got. Oh, by the way--I did not go into work today--Ha!  I guess I showed him!  See ya!