Masters Running

Friday's daily, 2.19.16 (Read 35 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Jlynne, my hands get cold easily too. When it is real cold outside, sometimes I do 50-75 vigorous arm swings before I open the door, just to get the blood flowing to my hands before they hit the cold. It can help. Also, I hope you are wearing lined nylon/poly mittens and not knit mittens. That will make a huge difference too.

I hope DD continues to be safe, TW. That was too close! Good luck to Pickles today.

Starr, I don't have a big closet and I only have that one pair of 'ancient' racewalking shoes.

Leslie, survival sure looked like the only reasonable goal for that Mud Run. Congrats on finishing! Tet said it so well (as he usually does): "zigalina -  congratulations on persevering through the mud for more hours than most people work in a day and in conditions that would more than justify a happy DNF. It really makes you wonder not only what kind of warped mind would think some of these ultra-venues would make great places to run but then what kind of hundreds of warped minds would go out and do it.  Oh, yeah, it's us." And next year, you want to do a Double???

After much difficult discussion Wednesday evening, we chose the beneficiary for this year's Seacoast Half Marathon. It is the Seacoast Family Food Pantry, a local non-profit that provided food for over 4,500 households last year, including a Seniors program, and also fed and educated kids through a Summer Meals 4 Kids program. The anticipated $70,000-90,000 the race will raise for them will go a long way toward helping their organization and expanding their programs.

Whereas I refused to skip my workout yesterday morning, I decided last night that I would try to sleep in today. So this time, when I looked at the clock at 3:45, I rolled over instead of getting up. I slept for another hour, so I guess it was the right choice for today.

Good luck and fleet feet to this weekend's racers:

02/19 hermosaboy - Snowshoe Open Master's Mile

02/20 henrun - Gasparillo 8K-Tampa, FL

02/20 Marj - Gasparillo 8K, Tampa FL

02/20 tammyingp - Rogue River 5K, Rogue River, OR

02/21 Ileneforward - Beach Party 10k, HB CA

Have a greta Friday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Slo

Not sure where you stand on your charity selection Jay but it sure sounds like a good choice. Our local food pantry can stretch the hell out of a single dollar. I never hesitate to donate knowing how well they manage their resources.

Less than 5 this morning at a recovery pace. Today is 50 consecutive days.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Sounds like a good choice, Jay.  Out of many, I realize.  The past few years I've dropped off a few hundred of my christmas bonus at our town food pantry.  They tell me that while food drives are always welcome, they can get $4 worth of food for every $1 contributed as cash.  Sorry it's needed, but glad I'm able to help.  May have to come up and run again.

Nice stretch of running, Slo.  I wish I could be that consistent.

I should have rolled over this morining.  About a mile and a half into my run this morning, my heel started to hurt for no apparent reason.  Enough that I decided that the 5 I had planned was not a good idea.  Then when I got to work and went to take my phone out of my pocket, I realized it was still sitting on my bureau, along with my watch.    When I booted up my computer, I got my calendar reminder that I was supposed to be at the dentist (45 minutes south of where I was sitting) 15 minutes ago.   Hope I got it all out of my system and the rest of the day goes better.  Oh yeah, I've also got to call my mechanic, as my emergency brake was sticking first thing out the driveway.

So I hope I've used up enough good stuff that everyone else's days go smoother.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Wow Kevin. And it's not even Friday the 13th!  After all that I'd be ready to head home and crawl back in bed. Hopefully the rest of your day goes better

Nice running streak Mr Slo!

I'm sure a lot of heart and considerate was put into your choice for this year's race Jay. Food pantries do great things for so many people.

Isn't it nice to see Enke so happy?

You are incredible Leslie. And loved the pictures.

I'm missing Twocat and Ribs and hope they're doing ok.

Much needed rest day today. My youngest grandson Nicholas is 3 years old today. Big pizza party to celebrate later this evening 😊

Happy Friday and good luck to all the weekend racers

Mike E

MM #5615

Isn't it nice to see Enke so happy?

Yes.

I echo JLynne on Enke's happiness and Kevin's non-Friday the 13th.  Dang, Kevin!

Jay - Great decision for your non-profit choice.  Whenever I start to get thoughts about "there's nothing to eat in the house," I make myself take a serious look at my cupboards and frig.  We have so much when so many have so little.

I'm wondering if the birthday boy's pizza party is more for the adults.  Hmmm . . . . .

I haven't done squat since the race, but that's okay.  My coach gave me the option of running 4-6 miles today or tomorrow.  I'm glad I chose tomorrow 'cause this morning when I normally would've been running it was freaking DUMPING.  Holy cow!  Plus we've had quite a bit of thunder this a.m.  We have 2 skylights in our living room, and it was so loud with the rain, Chico couldn't take it anymore and ran and hid under the bed.  For a cat who thinks he's so tough when it comes to bossing other cats around, he's a chicken deep down.

We found out yesterday for that Shorty's BIL's 50-year old daughter, Pam, died yesterday from complications of H1N1 flu, pneumonia, and ARDS.  She got sick last week, finally went to the emergency room over the weekend, was put in a medically-induced state of paralysis while they worked fervently in ICU to help her, and eventually succumbed.  It's my understanding when a person gets to that point, the chance of survival is only about 40%.  I am heartbroken for the entire family.  Very sad . . .

So hug all your loved ones if they are near, and if not, remind them often how much you love them.  Tomorrow is never guaranteed.

Have a blessed weekend, friends ~~

Leslie
              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

TammyinGP

good choice on the charity donation, Jay. You say it was a difficult decision - is that because there were several very worthy options to choose from or were some not in favor of the food bank?

Tomorrow's race (5K and HM) is a benefit for the CC program at David's HS. Sometimes (okay, lots of times) I still wish he was running. But get this - - he has decided to join the tennis team. Practices start in 2 wks. David has never swung a tennis racket before. This ought to be interesting.

Last night was the induction ceremony for NHS. It was real nice and only about 20 from the sophomore class were chosen. In addition to grades, they have several other criteria for choosing, so it was a nice honor.

It's raining buckets out there today. I should probably pull up weather and see if I'll likely be running in this sloppy mess tomorrow morning or not.

eta: oh Leslie - I'm so sorry to hear the news. My condolences to you and Shorty.

Tammy

Sayhey! MM#130

Hiya!

Sorry for your fam, Leslie.  Good advice.

And ditto all the pshews, tw, they bear repeating.

Food Pantry seems like a sound choice, Jay.

What you said, Mari.

And I could say more, but have to get back to work so I can try and scooch out early for the Gasparilla Running festivities!

Kevin, you need to throw the rest of yours away.  Now.  (Your dentist advises it as well.)

Oh, and modified to thank you so very much for the wonderful funny yesterday.  It's good seeing David Price on the evening news every night!

grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

mrrun

Will go back & read & comment later

picked up my number & switched to 15k.  The injured one is not running 

marj

mta: Jay - food banks are one of my major charities.  I might have to run, just to donate, except my DD doesn't like to race in November

slo - congrats on the days - i sometimes make 2 days in a row

joining everyone in kudos to enke for being happy

fatozzig - i can't even imagine that kind of mud - you did super! what are your shoes like?  ((family)

kevin - troubles come in three's so you should be ok now

tammy - have fun

aamos & steve - see you soon

shout-outs to everyone else - hi!!!

marj

Marathon Maniac #957

Hiya folks!

My back is still a bit stiff, but almost better.  A few more days and it should be gone.

This weekend is my local running store's annual clearance sale.  They set up long tables with all shoes on them at half-price.  I had a 10:20 eye dr apt, but the shoe store was 10 minutes away, so I waited in line with maybe 40 other people for the doors to open at 10am, raced to the section where my size was.  There were no Saucony Ride this year, but they did have Adidas Supernova Glide, which I bought last year and was pleased with, so I quickly bought 3 pairs and raced off to the eye dr.  The Glides are pretty ghastly colors, but that really doesn't matter to me at that price.

4.5 miles for me today, followed by about 20 minutes of light weights.

Gotta run now, off to DD's end of season BB banquet.

Happy Friday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Slo

slo - congrats on the days - i sometimes make 2 days in a row

Thanks Marj,

It's been nearly three years since I've strung more than 2 or 3 days together.

This weekend is my local running store's annual clearance sale.  

Color me jealous of all of you who have great running stores in your area.  We have a small one in Arcata, but they never have the style I'm looking for or my size.  

Leslie
                          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

tomw, that's scary with your daughter.  I'm glad she's ok.  It's also scary about your wife.  My thoughts are with all of you.  fatozzig, nice 50K race in muddy mess.  Slo, congrats on the 50 days.  fatozzig, my thoughts are with your family on your loss.

While in Ludington, I walked 2 miles on the TM yesterday at a 13:38 pace and 3 miles this morning at a 14:18 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Sayhey! MM#130

Yay Marj!  Look for Daniel!  He's #2795 and will be in a blue Half Fanatics shirt and Red Sox visor.  I'm #1319.  I'm doing the 5k after so D is coming back to the hotel after his run to see to Simon and get some breakfast.  I should be finished before 10 and will head back here as well.  Will check in for updates!

Run happy!

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

mrrun

Aamos - I'm #7457  maroon tank top blue shorts no hat