Masters Running

TUES 11/11 Remembrance Day (Read 533 times)

Funny thing, as I was running across a street during a break in traffic, a woman who was pulling out from a side street, heading in the other direction, yelled out her window, “GET OUTTA THE DAMN STREET!” I was so startled by it that I laughed out loud. I was not anywhere near being in her way, so I have no idea where her annoyance came from. Shocked
    Holly, everyone's a critic. You reacted appropriately by laughing. I have found it is best to ignore critics or laugh at them. Dark Horse
    I'm a dark horse, running on a dark race course.
    Mariposai

Funny story Holly. Great story about your dog the jogger. Butterfly hugs to all our wounded and sick ones. Enkie what was the result from your doctor's visit? Erika, I hope you had the chance to see the taper boy. 6 predawn miles with 3x 1/4 mile hill. I started doing this same routine every Tuesday for the last 4 weeks and finally it is starting to feel easier. UP the hill a-la Spareribs and down with gusto. Last night's core workout was barking at me this morning. Blush

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

7 loops of 1.1 miles in local park that was the childhood home of Harvey Firestone (tire inventor). House is long gone & the 60 acres were donated by the family many years ago. I alternated between marathon pace (9:20) & tempo pace of 8:40 then a cool down loop for 7.7 miles, like Holly but nobody yelled at me. Big grin Mary best wishes Smile Twocat & Tim I'm happy to see your great attitude during this rehab period Cool

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

Marathon Maniac #957

Wow - this place is quiet today. Must be all you lucky devils who have the day off, out there having fun somewhere.... Smile

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Free breakfast today at my favorite lunch counter in downtown Newburyport, because I am a veteran. I had no idea it was free till afterward--then I wished I'd gotten the steak tips instead of two eggs over easy. Later this morning, 3 miles on the treadmill at 8:59 mile pace. Also 100 pushups, 100 situps, 30 arm curls, 30 lat pulldowns, 50 wrist curls. My two Veterans Day speeches yesterday went well. They had packed auditoriums at the middle school in the morning and the high school in the afternoon. Dark Mare and I went out last night to celebrate the end of a big day, and I had perhaps the best lobster of my whole life--tender and sweet. I said, "You know, if I were the president or the pope, I couldn't get a better lobster than this." Because you never know how good a lobster is till you eat it. The local paper sent a photographer to my high school talk, and this morning's paper had the complete text of my speech and a big photo of me. I guess they had space to fill. Later this morning I got a phone call from a newspaper in another town in eastern Mass. They saw my speech and were asking permission to reprint it in their paper. That was nice. Hoping to run a few miles cross-country with Dark Colt this afternoon. But first, Dark Mare and I are going out for a free dinner at a nice restaurant downtown. Every year they put on a free dinner for local veterans. Very generous of them. All you have to do is tip the waitress. Dark Horse
            I'm a dark horse, running on a dark race course.

Marathon Maniac #3309

Oh yeah, many do have the day off...duh. Have any candy bars to share Holly, at least a 1/2 of one Smile Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Renee the dog

Just went out again and did my remaining 1.5 mi that was on the list. The Body Glide held up on the hot spot on my foot! Mr Nono is accusing me of using the blister-to-be as an excuse for a lunchtime (a.k.a warmer) run. I think 1.5 is only a run-ette, so he's way out of line. Big grin

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Mariposai

Dark Horse, I would love to read that speech. Can you sent it to me at my nancyquiindy at yahoo dot com account? It would be an honor to be able to read it.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Dark Horse, thank you for your service. And that's great that you spoke at those assemblies. Enjoy the Dinner tonight. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Dark Horse - thanks for your service to our country. Would you please post your talks? I know we'd all love to read them. To all our other vets out there - God bless all of you. You deserve more than a free breakfast... Posting late for my 8 miles at 6:00 AM this morning. Did you ever get up and run and NOTHING HURT?! Today was one of those days, and I sure wish I had them more often. I was overdressed - it was a balmy 28F here but no wind. Just the way I like it. Big grin Dicky G - DS#2 thinks his A School is going to be moved from Pensacola to Great Lakes. While it would be great to have him closer to home, he was looking forward to getting out of winter for a while. He hopes to get stationed at the base in Washington state (aircraft carrier). Thanks for asking about him! Mary - hope your doctor's appointment was good news. Roy - Woody sounds like he should have his own television show! Better than Lassie or Rin Tin Tin. I'm not sure I ever asked - what kind of dog is he? Great "eye candy" two days in a row. Nice pictures, Tim! You'd never know from that stride that you were really hurting. Holly - eat the whole candy bar! We're just putting on our "winter layer of fat." It's not like you don't burn off at least 1,000 extra calories a day with all the exercising you do. Life is short - eat dessert first! Have a great day, everyone.

Marathon Maniac #957

Holly - eat the whole candy bar! We're just putting on our "winter layer of fat." It's not like you don't burn off at least 1,000 extra calories a day with all the exercising you do. Life is short - eat dessert first!
                        But you see, I never lost the "winter layer of fat" that I picked up LAST year! I need to lose that first, and then I can build it up again. And, unfortunately, I'm likely only burning about 80-85 calories/mile, and when you add that to my already slow, middle-aged woman's metabolism, it just doesn't allow for as much eating as you'd think.... Sad

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

6 easy miles for me today @ 10:37 pace. A beautiful day...sunshine and 50F. Thanks Dark Horse and all the other vets on this board and across this great nation for your service. Tim, enjoyed the pics of your race. Holly...GET OUTTA THE DAMN STREET! Ha!! Big grin Berger....read your RR....nice work! To evryone else....have a great day!
                          Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                            Happy Veteran's Day to all!! I ran a race today to honor all veterans -- the run was on 11/11 at 11:11am and was an 11k!! will post a short race report since i've snuck my last few in the dailies!! Holly -- that woman yelling at you reminded me of a guy in a car we ran past -- many of the roads were closed or partially closed to let some traffic through -- at one point this guy was leaning on his horn and looked so angry -- 3 of us were running by him and i said GOOD MORNING -- the guy next to me said something i don't remember and the poor guy in the car just screamed "i have to get to a doctor's appt" -- felt bad and yelled back "SORRY" then to my co-runners --does he think that's going to get him there any faster......really tho -- the offices in the area should have closed for the morning or at least made sure they warned there patients about the race - not like it's the first time they've had it.

denise

Marathon Maniac #3309

Hey, I just realized why the goofy look on my face the first two pictures ...I was holding 2 S-Caps in my mouth because we were coming up to a water station and had that salty taste in my mouth....hey, makes me feel better Smile. And had just taken in a Gel (see my right hand) as I was not littering, till I got to the water stop) Smile Nice runs all...some pretty impressive ones too!!! Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Happy Veterans Day, DH. Veterans were honored at the Patriots game on Sunday and got a well deserved welcome. I got a lump in my throat when 4 Blackhawk helicopters did a fly-over after the National Anthem. Very electric! What newspaper covered your talks? So we can check it out on line. Fran