Masters Running

Sunday 7.12.15 (Read 37 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Just a quick walk-by today - we're almost finished making breakfast for our weekend guests, so I'll have to jump back into that at any moment. Too bad, 'cause there are things I'd like to comment on from yesterday's daily, but I don't have time now.

7.7 tempo RW miles yesterday, along the "New Castle loop" in Portsmouth, NH, before the morning's racewalking clinic (where we did some speed drills, and I also worked with a couple of near-newbies). I stopped at the farmer's market on the way back after the clinic and picked up some luscious veggies. Late in the afternoon, we meandered up to the Chauncey Creek Lobster Pound in Kittery, ME for some fresh lobster. Our niece's daughter, at 9 months, had her first taste of lobster and liked it a lot!

10.1 RW miles on weary legs at j o'clock this morning, when it was already up to 68F, but not near as hot (90+) as it will be later on. Today we'll take the kid for her first-ever ocean dip, which should be fun. It's looking like grilled salmon and roasted veggies for dinner tonight, with a refreshing glass of wine - or two.

Have a greta Sunday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Mike E

MM #5615

Good morning everybody!

Thanks for starting us back up, Jay.  I was afraid I had chased everybody way for good, yesterday...sorry about that.

I'm hoping to have a lazy day around the house, today.  My legs feel worn out, for some reason, and I'm hoping they'll get some life back into them before, tomorrow.

Shoot.  I didn't realize what time it was.  I have to go to church.  See ya!

Dave59

2.5 miles this morning. That's about all I feel like doing right now.

We sold the house yesterday. If the new place isn't available on time I'll create a sign up list here on the forum and you can each pick a time when we can stay with you.   We'll move from house to house as needed.

HermosaBoy

Morning all!

Jay, what time is dinner.  Smile

Tired morning after being out late at a wedding last night.  Got up to do an easy run with my coach.  81 degrees and humid @ 8:30.  My favorite running weather -- NOT!!!

Good luck tomorrow Mike!

Congrats on the home sale Dave.

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

King of PhotoShop

What tselbs said yesterday about accepting slowing down in old age is perfectly true. My heart and my head are in different places, as I know it's right but I fight it like crazy.  (And complain!)

Mike E., my guess is that "the boss" is also the owner? In any case, what you just acknowledged is quite true.  Many people fail to speak up because they aren't confident they will use the right words or language, or perhaps lose their temper. Being honestly assertive is different from being aggressive and complaining. Next time you get one of these rants from the boss' son, a simple, "Okay, let's talk this through..." is enough to open up some communication.

While the fresh-legged Saint ran 8+ this morning, I stumbled through a 2+ mile recovery run.  Was reasonable temperature this morning but it will be a hot one day, in fact all week. I leave on Tuesday for Raleigh for work.   Spareribs

Henrun

Congrats Dave. You can always pitch a tent and enjoy summer.

Hot and steamy am-we ran a 5K along Toronto's lake shore. Although there were 20K and 10 K runs in addition they were billed as training runs for the Toronto Marathon and there were no chips and no awards and you calculated your own times. Nevertheless it was well organized with 2 water stops and a goody bag and a flat scenic run. We met some nice people and had fun. We leave Toronto tomorrow and spend an overnight at my classmate's cottage on the St. Lawrence seaway.

Hi all - MaineRunnah sighting today! He went by me on his bike with a few other bikers as I was pausing to refuel on my run!! It is so crazy how often I randomly bump into him! Ran 10.2 miles before the real heat of the day, but my phone apparently wasn't happy in my armband, overheated and is now dead.....so not happy about that!

Yesterday went for a 30.5 mile bike with some of it along the bike route for Challenge 70.3 - a little hillier than I remember but beautiful!

Have a wonderful Sunday my friends!!

Aamos - we still need a couple more female runners to keep me company on the Rosie Ruiz run - any thoughts?! Smile

denise

Mariposai

MikeE, believe it or not I think your post resonates to a lot of  people. Thanks for sharing it with us. Personally I think it is not reasonable from your boss to have all of those expectations from you, for example working long hours, including Sat. specially if he is not paying you overtime for the extra hours. Yes, he is doing it, because either he owns the business and all the final profit will make him richer, or if he is the CEO of the company, he is making the big, big bucks. BTW, nothing is shared here will scare people away from here. This is the most caring and fun loving group of folks around.

Well, the cake I made yesterday was very tasty, they say,  and it turned out just beautiful. I am sure wiped out after being up Friday night and decorating the cake all day yesterday. I overslept today thus missing the opportunity to run the 13 miles I had in mind. I fit in 6 sproinky miles and now off to climb (by hiking) a mountain.

Cheers.

Posie

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

See what a clean roof will do for you, Dave? Happy couch surfing.

I decided to be really wild and skip my Sunday LR and do it tomorrow. Instead, I'll spend the afternoon sorting through old deck boards to see if I can find enough to redo the top of the swimming raft. Also pleasant in triple Hs

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Congrats on the home sale Dave! Now start packing

Mike  - time for a new job. And it wouldn't seem quite so bad if he appreciated how you went over and above doing your job. Sounds like he takes you for granted. It's okay to vent. That's what friends are for.

Hope the knee is better today Holly.

No pictures of that spectacular cake, Mariposai?

Ribs, I definitely agree. The head and heart are always willing but at almost age 63, the body doesn't always cooperate. This getting old thing ain't always much fun.

Not being a fan of heat and humidity, and also having a very sore back from landscaping and TRX training, I took this morning off and went golfing with DH. We used our round today as a practice for the Husband/Wife tournament that we play in (and have won 4 times) every year. It's the best ball of two and you get 90% of your handicap. We ended up with a net 59 for 18 holes which probably would have put is in the top 3 teams. I shot a 49 on the back nine and have a pretty high handicap. We used my score on every hole but one. It's always nice to be a part of the "team" effort. DH even said he'd cook something on the grill tonight for my fine effort

Mike, that was fine post.  You do need to speak up, or continue to be taken advantage of.  I'm introverted and many times in my past work life there were things I did not speak up about.

I was away for a few days last week with by brother and his wife and their daughter visiting.  It was nice to see them, but glad things are back to a less hectic schedule now.

My 3 day backpacking trip last weekend with Mr. Blue Eyes was quite the event.  On the hike up, which was more technical and difficult than either of us had anticipated, I fell backwards in a dry gulch and was stuck with my leading foot jammed between two large boulders.  I couldn't get up or get it out.  I had to take off my pack.  Mr. Blue Eyes came to my rescue and scooped me up - it was quite the Harlequin Romance novel scene!  This was only our 5th date too.  But finally we made it to the top.  We brought two tents (in case we ended up irritating each other) but ended up only using one - as there were so few places on the rocky terrain to pitch a tent.  We got along WAY better than either of us could have ever expected, and it was pretty romantic.  He is very funny and we seem to have the exact same sense of humour. I adore him.  

Sorry Mike, but he is taller than Mr. C even.  But only about 160 pounds right now on a 6'1" frame.  He just did the STP - 204 miles on his bike.  He needs to put back on a dozen pounds or so.  Naturally, he was a runner for most of his life.

I ran 8.2 miles this morning - half at the horse trails, and half down a nice residential path.  I am glad I took my Garmin, as it said I was about 1 min/mile slower than I thought I was.  I need to start running more and hiking less!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

...just checking in to say Glad for Enke//........it's nice to get a break every once and a while

==========

......Bad Leg day today, so will shoot for tomorrow

.......................good running guys

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Mike E feel free to vent here.  I hope you figure out a way to improve on your current job situation.

coastwalker mmm lobster . . . I love them!  Well, not as pets.  Not sure it is love to boil them alive though.  Maybe I really hate lobsters so much I love to eat them!  Yeah!  That's the ticket!  I hate lobsters more than nearly anything else!  Well clams too.  I hate them so much I boil them alive too!  Sometimes at a clam bake I go crazy and have them boiled alive at the same time!  

Dave59 congratulations on the sale!  I hope you new place closes in time!

HermosaBoy just remember it is better than what January brings!

Spareribs I love the Raleigh area!  I have a very good friend that works at UNC and it is always a treat to go down for a visit.

Jlynne not a bad haul for a good round of golf!

Mariposai some people are just workaholics and will work weekends and nights pretty much no matter what job they have.  My mom was like that.  I am willing to bet nobody on the board has ever met someone that put in as many hours as she did.  For better or worse a bit has rubbed off on me.  I get fidgety if I do not put in any hours in any day.  Which I guess is why my DW is with her sister's and the dogs at the pool while I am writing computer code.  

I am just work working.  I also worked to make a stout beer glaze to go with some lamb chops tonight.  Murphy's Stout is what I am using rather than Guinness.  Today was an elliptical day for me.  Tomorrow I have to get up early and get in my weekly medium long run of 14 miles.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

HermosaBoy

HermosaBoy just remember it is better than what January brings!

I can deal with the cold as long as the paths are clear.  Smile

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

evanflein

Congratulations on the house sale, Dave! That seemed to go pretty quickly, hope you got your asking price or better.

As for the getting older stuff, I'm "only" 55 so don't have much room to complain. I just notice it takes me a little longer to recover from hard efforts than it used to. But then again, I'm running more miles consistently than in maybe any year before. Just not breaking any speed records. I'm glad that as one gets older, one typically runs with similar company and everyone is aging, right? We do have a couple of incredible older women runners here though who, like Aamos, just seem to be in a time warp and don't slow down as the years go by. Luckily for me, one is always in the AG above mine, and the other is at the top of my AG while I'm in the bottom (for our series points, that is).

Mike, having been in HR for almost 18 years now, it really pains me to hear about situations like yours. Depending on if you are salaried or hourly, what your boss is expecting of you is either immoral or illegal. If he's the owner, then yes, he should be at the top of the commitment and dedication scale. To expect that of your employees, however, is just not right. Bullying takes many forms, and it sounds like your boss is a passive-aggressive bully. And there's no way you should be tolerating that treatment from his brother.

8.6 brisk miles yesterday, on legs that didn't want to go at first. Then it turned out to be a really great run. Then we went on a home tour, a fund raiser for the local American Association of University Women (AAUW). Two over-the-top beautiful (but ostentatious in my mind) homes in expensive neighborhoods with awesome views. One 1951 home in town that had been remodeled and decorated in the most adorable fashion, with a beautiful yard and garden with peonies, sunflowers and a "hedge" of raspberries. Really my favorite of the three. Then shopping and home to relax.

I realized I have less than two weeks before the Gold Discovery Run, and my hill work has been lacking. So today's run will be a run up to the trailhead above our house (about 4 miles, I usually have DH drive me) and then down the trail and roads to his office. Should be about 14 miles I think so I won't hit my 50 mpw goal, but I'll get the hill work I need. Maybe one or two more real hilly runs in the next two weeks, and we'll see what happens. 8k race next Saturday, too. Ahhhh, summertime!

ETA: Wow, Enke, tomwhite, Twocat and Hermosaboy all got in here when I was typing the above!

Enke, so happy for you!

Hermosaboy, exactly. Footing is more important than temperature, a lot of times.