Masters Running

RR -- Get in Gear 5k and 10k (Read 134 times)

HermosaBoy

So, the only reason that I ran this is that it is part of the MDRA (Minnesota Distance Running Association) Grand Prix. Last year I ran most of the races without participating, so this year I figured I would at least get points. Weather -- IT SUCKED!!! I woke up to 30 degress, wind and SNOW on the ground. WTF??? So, did a 2 mile shakeout with the dog -- she loved it -- I fumed. Came back to the house to pick up CamScam and head to the race. We arrived in plenty of time to find parking and then I found CamScam a place indoors to wait while I headed out for a warm-up (since the 5k started 20 minutes after the 10k). Finished a 2 mile warm-up and quickly (yes, I cut the time too short) changed into my flats and dropped as much clothes as I dared before heading to the start. I gave our bag to CamScam and told him to find Brian and Ron to give them the bag. He was then supposed to do a 10 minute warm-up before his 5k (never happened). So, I lined up for the 10k and tried to position myself according to how I was planning to run -- sub 40 would be happy times. Looked around, and decided to move up a bit. Excuse the break, we move to CamScam... So, he never found Brian or Ron. Quickly doffed as much clothes as he dared and hid our bag in the bushes. Rushed to the starting line without warm-up and ended up lining up BEHIND the walkers who had staked a place on the starting line. Angry From what I hear, he was jumping the curb and running on the grass to try to get to clear space. Before the race, I told him that the weather was lousy and that he should focus on competing and not worry about time. From what I hear, he did just that. He passed a ton of people and only one took him back. Even with the lack of warm-up and the poor alignment at the start, he ran 22:31 to finish 31 overall and 26th male. Imagine if he would have been ready! My little speedster!!! Cool Back to my race. So, I had no idea what to expect. Plan was to get out comfortably and see if I could pick it up over the last 5k. When we started off, I just tried to find a happy rhythm and was surprised to look down at my garmin and see 6:05/mi. Decided that this was a bit agressive and backed it off a bit. Mile 1 in 6:11 @ 147 The rest of the race, I was just trying to stay smooth and keep moving up -- mission accomplished! Mile 2 in 6:03 @ 153 Mile 3 in 6:02 @ 155 Mile 4 in 5:56 @ 158 (biggest hill up and a nice downhill as well) Mile 5 in 5:55 @ 158 Mile 6 in 5:54 @ 162 (fighting some NASTY wind and snow). last 0.2 in 1:23 @ 167 -- hit my max HR of 170 on the uphill to the finish Overall -- 37:23 for 72nd male and 73rd overall. I was completely flabbergasted with that time!!! I guess I recovered better than I thought. Must have been that excruciating massage on Wednesday. We won't talk about AG stuff since I never even saw the masters ahead of me...

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Sub 6 pace on a 10K ... say no more! Awesome race Rob! Steve

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Marathon Maniac #957

You ran a 10K 5 days after Boston? Wow! Awesome time, too!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

SteveP

Awesome races Rob! I don't understand the walkers in front. Probably never will.

SteveP

How do you do it, hermosa? You ran a fantastic 10K in wind and snow less than a week after a fast Boston. Congrats to one tough runner. Congrats also to CamScam on his speedy 5K. TomS
              Wow, One week after Boston. That's sick Rob...rest up then go for another one...you might crack 36. All the best Tall

Recent Best times: None recently