Masters Running

Monday, 11.9.15 (Read 38 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

TW, I'm also amazed and impressed with your progress. Keep up the good work.

Holly, I've had run-ins with the phone co. before, and they are universally horrible. I'm glad you stuck with it and ultimately got things right. But it is so wrong that it takes that much effort.

Good running and good eating, Ribs. I hope the Saint feels better.

Heal up, Marj. It's good that you have next weekend's race to look forward to.

Twocat - 'posole?' Never heard of it.

Great shot of Claire & Cookie!

I'm so sorry you had such a tough race, Aamos. Congrats on surviving and finishing!

I'm glad your ear is better and you are back running, Stumpy. Thanks for thinking of us and wearing your Seacoast Half shirt yesterday.

Welcome back, Starr.

Nice job of easing back into running, Deeze.

How nice that Econo and Lil Econo (and Herr Wegetarian) are out racing together.

Nice 'steady state' run with EP, Mariposai. Bummer about the laptop.

So true, Evanflein; "it just becomes a part of what you do."

Good job on the basement, Steve.

It was mostly sunny and in the low-mid 40s for our half yesterday, but some serious wind also kicked up. However, it didn't hamper too many racers. We had 1,135 finishers and most everybody seemed to have done well. We knew it was going to be a good race up front, and the first two finishers broke the existing course record. The winning time was 1:08:39 by a local guy who has also qualified for the Olympic Trials in the marathon. There were a few hitches that, in the scheme of things, were relatively minor but still troubling: What bothered me most was that a woman was hit buy a car (it was a minor scrape, and she was checked out and went on to finish the race), and the driver never stopped. I don't get how people can hit another person with their car and just drive away. There was also (we discovered this after the race) a woman who ran with someone else's bib without notification or authorization. Because of that (the replacement runner was younger and faster than the registered runner), another woman who was the legit winner of an age group award was denied her earned recognition. Overall, however, I was pleased with how the day went. I had a moment or two to chat with Milktruck (who looked great after the race). We surprised the 9 racers who have run all 10 of the Seacoast Half Marathons with embroidered vests, and we presented a ceremonial check for $86,000 to this year's beneficiary. After we got everything cleaned up and drove all the left-over food and water to a nearby shelter, I went home, had a little lunch, and spent a couple of hours with my leaf blower, trying to clear the yard - again.

I went for a 2.5 mi. walk this morning. Still no racewalking...

Have a greta Monday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

wildchild

Carolyn

Howdy, masters!

I had a great run at the Moab marathon this weekend - I'll tell you about that in a minute.

Amy, bummer about the hot marathon.  Those are tough, and you're even used to hot weather!

Starr, I laughed at your comment about not wanting to be out running for 8 hours.   For a marathon, I agree, but for ultras that's pretty normal, and if you pace yourself, it's fun to be out all day!

Marj, hope you're not too sore today!

Greta picture of Claire and her big friend.

Why do you guys keep suggesting road marathons for RA meetups???  I'm curious why more people don't love trail running.

Okay, a brief RR for the Moab Trail Marathon:

Gorgeous day,  low 30's at the start and low 50's at the finish.   I finished in 5:53:46, and was 2/9 in my AG.  This was slower than my times in 2012 and 2013, but about 8 minutes faster than last year, so I'm happy.   I was tired of getting slower every year I ran this race!  It was much cooler this year, which helped a lot.  And honestly, there's no reason I should  be running faster as I get older!  I just need to get used to slowing down.

The race was the USATF National Trail Marathon Championships again this year.  This is actually kind of a joke, as fewer than 10% of the runners were actually USATF members, so they weren't eligible for "championship" awards.  You have to pay to be a member of USATF.   Yes, I am a paying member, but only because I was disappointed in 2012 that I wasn't awarded 3rd in my AG, because I wasn't a member.  There are two sets of awards given: one for the National Championships, and one for the race in general, so even non-members can win race awards.  I won 2nd AG for both the championship and for the race in general, behind my friend Anita, who always beats me at Moab!  I was awarded 7th female overall in the USATF championships, but was actually only the 78th woman finisher - so 71 women who finished in front of me were not USATF members.  See what I mean about it being a joke?  Oh, well, rules are rules, and I paid my dues so I could get the awards!

I've posted pictures from this race before, but here's one from about mile 15.  We really should consider a group meetup at Moab some year!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Wildchild, I would prefer a trail race get-together, too, but they are fewer in number.

Regarding Portland...y'know, there's a half marathon, too...

evanflein

I love trail races, just not really into clinging to the side of rock cliffs though... Equinox is mostly trails, you should come up here and run that! Nice job on the race and yes, the USATF rules are a little funny but I guess they can't give the awards to non-members, then no one would join!

Nice job on the race, Jay. Did you make any corrections on the age group placings to account for the unauthorized runner? And a hit-and-run, really? Wow, I had no idea that race was so exciting.

We got more snow last night! DH was so bummed out this morning to look out and see another 3" on the ground. He worked so hard clearing snow this weekend! If this keeps up we might have to give in and hire a plow.

Yes, Steve, the TC Bayshore! I think it's on May 28 in 2016. Green Bay is May 22 which is also the start of DH's conference in Minneapolis but we checked and should be able to make the drive in time. I think it's just an opening reception anyway. But I do have to put aside my "no spring marathons" pledge to do this! And at the rate this winter is going, it's gonna be a lot of snowy running or time on the treadmill.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Why do you guys keep suggesting road marathons for RA meetups???  I'm curious why more people don't love trail running.

I've posted pictures from this race before, but here's one from about mile 15.  We really should consider a group meetup at Moab some year!

Especially it it could be something like Moab, I used to agree too, . . . until I got old and marathons started taking seven hours and more, yep, even more than eight, nine, and even one ten.   Because of the time cut-offs, I don’t even enter ultras anymore unless in a timed 12-hour or more event where there’s no discredit for taking almost all, if not all <<<(that would be me)>>>, of the allotted time for a measly 50K while all the younger runners, and some exceptional oldsters, are chalking up 40, 50, 60-and-more miles.

However, ya gotta love results in those timed events that rank runners by the number of miles run instead of the time/pace to get that far. especially when many runners just go out for a marathon or minimal ultra distance training goal and, therefore, don’t end up with as many overall miles as some of the old, slow runners <<<(that would be me again)>>> who stick it out for all 12 hours, sometimes showing up as high as tenth place in the overall mileage rankings <<<(2015 Carkeek 12-hour Run Run)>>> when they should have been DGL <<<(dead glorious last)>>>. 
            Except for the running barefoot on smooth-surfaced roadways, e.g. Portland, . . . and all the friendly company of other runners also getting slowed down by Father Time too, I so much prefer trail running and would otherwise never run on the roads again. Unfortunately, the narrow paths usually make trail running pretty solitary events compared to the festive nature of a big marathon.  Further, I don’t think there’s very many trail runs that cut so short at only 26.2 miles. During my fifth running of the Portland Marathon last month since the first time in 1990, it was pretty hard not to want to get out of the tour bus we were on and run between scenic waterfalls we were seeing in the Columbia George instead of being bussed. However, as long as TW and others come out too, I guess another Portland Marathon will be okay too.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

...yeah,

Moab looks Great,,,but I can't Run......

Thanks

to everyone for the Kind Words,

Claire was THRILLED to see her picture posted

then

she asked me what ''Adventurer Doggie'' thought about horses

============

.....45-min HH walk, no cane

old Running Buddy

told me today This Winter will be the worst part of ReHab

''Once you get to Spring you'll be Amazed how much better you feel'' he said

hope he's right (had his hip done about a decade ago)

...............good running guys

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Sayhey! MM#130

hi y'all,

I'm still hot.  that's all.

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

coastwaker glad to hear the race went well. It is too bad the hit and run driver got away. Doing that is a crime and the driver should have gotten his hand slapped.

wildchild that is pretty funny about the awards and USATF.

evanflein I am soooo happy not to report any snow where I am!

As to the posole here is the recipe I used http://www.food.com/recipe/authentic-mexican-pozole-196233. This chef spells it with a "z" but others like http://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/classic-posole use an "s" as I did. It is really good and not that big a deal to make. If you do it in a slow cooker it is really a breeze! Although, in my experience, the slow cooker versions produce more of a stew than the soup it is supposed to be. Then again, it is a really good stew so maybe that is the way it should be!

Ran 8 miles. today. I had my Garmin on clamped into its charger. Somehow though it managed to be "on" and never charged up. After 2 miles it died. Fortunately, I had my Zombies Run!  app going from the start, so I have a roughly record for my log. My cell phone is way less accurate than my Garmin. On the plus side, I escaped every zombie horde that came by!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Moab - Some day, some day . . . .

Congratulations, Carolyn!

Jay - Glad the race went well.  I, too, don't understand people not stopping when they've collided with a body, a car, an animal - whatever it is.  Craziness.

We have been getting rain - yay!  And the Sierras got some snow.  Double Yay!!

Amy - Icy thoughts comin' your way.  Good job gutting it out.

I slept in this a.m.  How's that for getting back on the exercise wagon? . . .   This getting up at 4:30/5:00 again is gonna take some getting used to.

Have a great week, friends ~

Leslie
                    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

wildchild

Carolyn

One more story from Moab:

There was a power failure in the town of Moab (whole town!) very early on race morning.  I woke up at about 3:30 and noticed that the clock in the motel room was dark, so I checked the time on my cell phone.  I looked out the window, and there were no lights anywhere.   I kind of tried to sleep till about 5, then I got up, got my headlamp from my car, and got ready.  I had brought a banana and a bagel for breakfast so that was fine, but I couldn't make coffee!!!   I don't normally drink more than a cup of coffee a day, but I get a headache if I don't have any, so I was worried!  I thought I'd have to drink a soda at an aid station to get a caffeine fix!

I took my travel mug with me in hopes of finding a restaurant or gas station with coffee, but the whole town was dark.  Even the traffic lights were out.  So I got out to the race, and was standing by one of the fire pits keeping warm, when I noticed a guy with a cup of coffee in his hand.  I asked him where he got it, and he said he'd camped the night before, and he had a stove and coffee in his van.  He offered to make me a cup!!   So we went over to his van, and it turns out he has a Sprinter, exactly like the van my DH and I just bought a few months ago, that we're fixing up into a camper!  Small world.  He and his daughter were both running the half marathon, and we chatted about camper vans and running while drinking our coffee. I told him I hoped good karma would come his way and hoped he'd have a great race!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Marathon Maniac #957

Carolyn - we are open to suggestions!  However, many of the races so far for RA meetups have a range of distances for those who want a shorter races, which is nice.  Nice job at Moab, btw!

5 miles for me this morning and some ab work.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Marathon Maniac #957

I'm still hot.  that's all.

We've been saying that about you for years, Amy.....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

moebo

That race looks awesome, Wild. I am not a trail runner but could be convinced to try with a race like that as a goal! Good that you found a friend to share coffee--like you, I don't drink a ton of it but hate to have to be forced to go without...

TW, that picture was a hoot.

Marj, I hope you are okay!

Aamos, I hate hot runs. Glad you survived.

Jay, congratulations on your successful half!

Ribs, so happy the Saint is getting back to running.

Holly, I feel for ya. I had a similar experience with Verizon.

Econo, congratulations on your race!

Not much to report here. Yesterday I ran a hilly 7-miler, followed by a long hike in the woods. It was  VERY WINDY!!! Wind is the only thing I hate more than heat. My reward was that this morning's 5K with no wind felt wonderful! I wished I had time for more.

Hey Holly, Erika, Mike and anyone else contemplating the Cellcom Green Bay Marathon next May - I'll sponsor the party!!  I'd absolutely love to meet some RA virtual friends. If I can tell you anything about the race, lodging etc. to help you make your decision, let me know. Ask Marj and Henry - we put out a pretty good spread at our parties, and our family and friends are very nice people.

The race sounds like it went well Jay. Sure hope they find that hit and run driver.

The pozole recipe looks delish Twocat, but I think I'll just come to your house. Shall I pencil you in for 7 on the 11th?

Congrats on the great races Amy and Carolyn!

Snow? Enough to shovel and plow? Keep it north!!

4.76 miles this morning in clear, dark skies and 34° at Jay o'clock. Still running in capris but had to suck it up and wear gloves today.

Have a great evening everyone.

mrrun

Jlynne puts on an awesome party altho the time we ran, they cancelled the marathon & some of the half because the hospitals ran out of room - heat wave in may!  but we had a wonderful time there

I got bad news - I cracked a rib which takes 6-8 weeks to heal, but i should feel better in 2-3 weeks IF I DON"T RUN - caps provided by my doctor.  so I figure on lots of walking for 2 weeks - and calling him to find out if biking is ok.  i'm sure he'll say no, because i could fall & really hurt myself.

thx for all your kind thoughts

marj