Masters Running

Trinidad to Clam Beach RR (Read 276 times)

Trinidad to Clam Beach Run Saturday, September 7, 2009 Miles: 3, 5 3/4, 8 3/4 Total Participants: 1,300 (approx.) This was my first race ever two years ago. I completed the 5 3/4 and couldn’t believe I’d actually run that far. I have no idea what my time was, but I was darn happy to be done. This year, I ran the 8 3/4. In 2002, they instituted an HM, but due to lack of participation it wasn’t offered this year, unfortunately. Last year I was suppose to run the HM, but came down with a horrible case of the flu (first time in, literally, a couple of decades) and had to miss the race. This ended up being a happy turn of events since the rain was relentless that day. This year, however, the day dawned chilly but absolutely gorgeous with nary a cloud in the sky. The 8 3/4 and 3 milers were bussed 3 miles outside of town, and I was very happy to see that they had honey huts available for participants’ use prior to running since the two toilets available at headquarters in town began having trouble in the flushing department. After the usual pre-game prep talk, the horn blew at noon and the runners were off. I always have to smile to myself at these times ‘cause inevitably it’s a jack rabbit start, but before we even hit the 1-mile marker, people are starting to fade. About 2 miles into it, I came upon a group of four women, two of whom we see in the forest frequently on our Saturday trail runs. Whether or not I realized it at the time, my goal became to keep these women within my sights. The entire run isn’t particularly stressful, and the hills are “nothing” compared to what we run in the forest, and I found myself cruising up most of them at a fairly decent pace. As always, the going down is a whole lot more fun, and I tried my best to make up for any lost time on the downs. At about the 2.75-mile mark, the 3 milers split from the 8 3/4, and we head down the middle of town, which is all of about 4 blocks. It’s pretty cool because all the 5 3/4 milers are hanging out waiting for their race to start, so they were all hootin’ and hollerin’ for us. Right where we made the hard left into town and climbing a short hill, I heard, “Yea, Leslie!” Sitting amongst the spectators was a friend her daughter. I yelled back, “Glad I wasn’t walking!” Her husband works for the Trinidad Police Department part time, and he was participating in traffic control. Just before we turned onto Patrick’s Point Drive, again I heard my name called, and two other buddies who were waiting to walk the 5 3/4 gave me the thumbs up. That’s the biggest rooting section I’ve ever had for race. I liked it! Patrick’s Point Road runs high above the ocean, and for almost the entire run you are afforded stunningly beautiful view of the ocean. Since I had no real goals for this race except to finish in at least 1.5 hours, I made sure I took in the views and relaxed and enjoyed myself. It wasn’t long before we made the turn that took us down to the beach and the creek crossing. The weather has always dictated whether or not the runners would be allowed to cross. The creek crossing is always patrolled by the Coast Guard with no less than 4-5 Coasties in the water the help people across, if necessary. They’ll even carry the occasional female across if she begs enough. Last year due to the heavy rains, they only allowed one runner across at a time because on the average height person, the water was almost armpit high. This year, it only came up to about mid thigh, and although cold, felt good on hot legs. The 2.5 mile run down the sand is definitely to hardest part of the run. Your legs are tired, if you kept your shoes on when crossing the creek (I did), your feet feel heavy for awhile, and there’s no spring to the step. Plus, you can “see forever” and you just know the end is down there “somewhere.” It also looks very cool with the spray from the ocean hovering over the beach and runners spread out far and wide. I still had three of the ladies in my sights (the fourth had dropped behind me a mile or so back), and my goal was to keep them as close as possible. I also ended up with a guy running barefoot slowly coming up on me from behind. Once he passed me, I chose to stay just to his right and slightly behind him to help pull me along - drafting. He encouraged me to stay with him, and when we passed the group of women, he turned to me and said, “We pulled them in, now the next guy!” Soon I could see the end approaching, which is a blessing and a curse, because the last 100 yards is through deep, churned up sand. The barefoot guy had pulled a bit ahead of me, and just before the deep sand I heard someone overtaking me. Ended up being one of the ladies from the group. Darn it! With people cheering and yelling, I crossed the line at 1:26:32, a time that I’m pretty darn happy with! If you’re ever in the Humboldt County area the last Saturday in January or first Saturday in February (depending on weather, tide, etc.), give the Trinidad to Clam Beach Run a try. You’ll be back. Fashion Report: Black tights, hot pink sports brad, red tech shirt, bright yellow Moeben sleeves, white Nike hat, white w/green trim Mizuno Alchemys. ----------------------------------------- A view of the ocean from Patrick's Point Road. Just picture it as a beautiful clear, sunny day instead of overcast and stormy.

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

umwb

Great race report Leslie! The sand sounded challenging. I'm curious though, did you happen to notice if the barefoot guy was carrying his shoes? Confused I love the Pacific coastline, Smile I once stayed in a rental at Irish Beach, every weekend for six weeks, for free. While I was doing the electrical wiring on the new rental being built next door. It was beautiful!! I spent a lot of time in Manchester and Point Arena. How far is Trinidad from FT. Bragg?
      When I'm not running I'm on my Triumph Rocket 3 !
        As the crow flies, Trinidad and Ft. Bragg aren't far from one another. Driving it is a whole 'nother thing. Couple of hours. The road from Ft. Bragg to 101 is horrible, as you probably remember. Extremely curvy. I once got a cramp in my shin from shifting and brake so much on that road! Re the barefoot guy, no he wasn't carrying his shoes. If you chose to take your shoes off before crossing the creek, you could leave them on the other side and they were taken to the finish line at regular intervals.

Leslie
        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

It sounds like a good race and a good time, fatozzig. From the picture and your description, it sure is scenic. Running through sand doesn't sound so good though. It's neat you had people cheering for you and beat 3 of the 4 ladies you had your sights set on. Congratulations. TomS
            What a fun race. I love races with " stuff" in them. Crossing the creek and running in the sand makes every year different I am sure. Good job and thanks for sharing. Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

#artbydmcbride

What an interesting race! Congratulations. Smile

Runners run

Wow, this sounds like a really fun race. I can only imagine how hard it is to cross that creek and then run on the sand with sodden shoes. Great job reeling in most of those ladies and finishing under your goal time!

Once a runner . . .

Interesting race and interesting report! Seeing as that was your first race two years ago, I now understand why you like trail running so much. Roads must be boring in comparison. Good job!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Queen of 3rd Place

Hills, streams, sand, deep sand...I'm tired already! Sounds like a blast! Good to hear that you had such amazing weather! Arla

Ex runner

Another great RR Leslie........you have come along way! Congrats, Jewels
                      But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee
                      wildchild

Carolyn

Trinidad to Clam Beach Run Saturday, September 7, 2009 Miles: 3, 5 3/4, 8 3/4 Total Participants: 1,300 (approx.)
                        Ummm... September 7? Where'd that come from? It doesn't even rhyme with February! If the creek crossing was right at the start of the sand running, I would have left my shoes on the other side. Sounds like fun! Nice job reeling people in at the end.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Renee the dog

Love the shoe shuttle to the finish! That's service! Oh, this sounded like such a great race! You did great!!!!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Nice racing in that tough environment. The picture is beautiful.....I like the overcast stormy look.
                            Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                            coastwalker

Hi Leslie, It must have been fun to go back to the site your very first race and race there again, two year's later. It sounds like a challenging but fun race. It's always nice to have a cheering section, and to meet interesting people along the way, especially if they help you have a better race. I'm with Carolyn - how did you get to September '09 so much faster than the rest of us, and then get back to February again to post your report? Weird science...? Regardless of the time of the year, congrats on having a greta and fun race! Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Marathon Maniac #957

Great race and report, Leslie. What a lovely coastline!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."