Masters Running

Your input and wise$%# comments needed--Marathon Relay runners (Read 424 times)

King of PhotoShop

Today and tomorrow I am writing my "Ask Spareribs" column for my club newsletter and in this issue I am taking a few pokes at marathon relay runners and how the marathoners kind of don't like them. In seriousness, all of you know I support anyone who runs or races, in any distances or times, so this column is always tongue-in-cheek. (In the interest of fair reporting, I ran a 3-person marathon relay in '04 at Cowtown in Ft. Worth, TX. We finished 2nd overall, a strange experience.) But if you have a pet peeve about the relay folks, or a story to tell, I am grateful to hear it. Spareribs
    xor

Relayers are hamsters and their fathers smell of elderberries.

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

What is it that saying...."those that can do . . . those that can't run relays" Wink

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
        It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

JustAl

No story. If they are labeled correctly, I find no interference with relay runners. Different bib colors are helpful. Perhaps you could hyperbolize my thought.

Top 'O the World!

do they git ta ride a special bus to the start?
            Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
            huskydon

I plead guilty of being one of the aforementioned relay runners. I get to wear the same T-shirt as the marathon runners. And no one asks if I was a relay runner, they just assume I ran the marathon. It is awesome leaving the marathoners in the dust when I start at mile 20. I have been resting for hours in the shade, sipping cool drinks. when I cross the finish line, the help wants to attend to you just like you had run the whole thing yourself. (tongue in cheek) huskydon
              evanflein

Husky that's what makes me go Grrrrr! I'm chugging along at mile 23.5 of the Equinox, and some kid and my orthodontist go zipping by me like I'm a slow train! Makes me want to trip 'em. Evil grin Last year they all wore orange vests that they changed like a baton, this year they had a 4-digit bib number, with the last digit being either a -1, -2 or -3 depending on which leg they were running. I'd find myself looking closely at bib numbers as they'd pass me shortly after an exchange point. If they had 4-digit numbers, I didn't care. If they had 3-digit numbers, I drew a target on their back!!
                  You might recommend various strategies for carrying the baton. In the Fred Brown--Lake Winnipesaukee relay in NH, you run with a baton that is a clear tube with the map of the course inside. It's longer than a true relay baton. People stuff it down the back of their singlets/running bras, but it can smack you in the back of the head if you are not careful. One gentleman on the Thirsty Irish Runners team ( a bonafide running club in Boston) chose the down the shorts method. Let's just say he looked most excited during his leg of the relay. There is also the down the front of your shirt method, but the chafing is fierce. This was an all relay team race and not combined with a marathon, but still....
                    ...you guys are Hilarious, Big grin be sure and post the column ribbs..........

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

King of PhotoShop

After a slow start here, the marathoners jumped in and contributed some pretty good stuff. I knew I could count on Karin. That was too much! Husky, you too are a good guy. I will find some use for these stories. I am still picturing the aroused relay runner with the unique holder for his baton. Great idea! Spareribs
                      JustAl

Are you a relay runner? Or just happy to see me?

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Maybe magic-mark their classification as relayers on their calves as is done for for our ages in triathlons. (just remember to wash off before going shopping in berumuda shorts!)

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

#artbydmcbride

I've had the experience of getting to an aide station that was a relay leg start and discovering the relay runners had cleaned out all of the goodies and water at that station while they waited! grrrrrrrrrr!

Runners run

HermosaBoy

My favorite part is passing the relay runners... Roll eyes I am probably not much help here -- my feeling is I would rather see 26.2 runners run 1 mile each then have them sitting around eating Krispy Kremes. You figure out how to get a .2 runner. Wink

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

be sure and post the column ribbs..........
                                me too

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)