Masters Running

Wednesday, May 21st Daily (Read 490 times)

King of PhotoShop

I think a 6:40 pace would be about right for you Tim, but I can't comment on that long warmup without knowing more about the mileage you are accustomed to doing, but it seems excessive. Three miles pretty close to race time with a few strides in the final mile seems about right. You might think 6:40's is slow, but as this is a first one, you want to have something in the tank at four miles. Remember to let the leaders go. You will finish somewhere between tenth and twentieth place. I am in Aberdeen, WA and it is cold and rainy, what a surprise. I did find a nice paved path behind my hotel that ran along some river. Some time ago I posted this running axiom, but forgot it today! It says that if you run along a river in an unfamiliar area and the run feels super good, remember that when you turn around to head for home you will be running into a gale force wind. I got three miles in, and the final 1.5 was not very pleasant! Bill, you haven't been out that long, and you are still recovering. Give it time. This is what your body is telling you. Spareribs
      Ribs, I've done that "wind at my back" thing on my bike more times than I care to admit. Then we have CNY doing a casual run at my HM pace and Tim probably doing a 10K at my 400M pace. Am I just getting that much slower these days? Anyway, I did a rare naked run today. That is, no watch, no GPS, no MP3 player. It was pretty weird and unsettling at first, but then when I ran my usual loop over the golf course, I was able to appreciate this chilly spring day all that much more: the brilliant green of the fresh-mowed fairways; the newly-leafed trees lining the way; and above it a stunning blue sky with just enough fluffy white & gray clouds to give it some depth and texture. Talk about IRC! About 4 miles at a mid-10s pace. Some minor grumbling from the leg, but no major complaining. Have some good runs today, all!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning! Vista – I am another from a family that did (and still does) little or no exercise activities. I don’t think it’s really surprising that most of the generation before us didn’t exercise much, since the whole “exercise interest” didn’t really spark until recent years, with more focus on health and the huge epidemic of obesity. Unfortunately exercise, which is of course a good and healthful endeavor, in most cases doesn’t really address the real causes of obesity, which most studies say is related more to what people are choosing to eat than to their sedentary state. Many people in our parents’ generation were relatively sedentary, but few were obese to the extent you see today. Tim – last night we went to DD’s kindergarten end of the year sing-along, and I was saddened by the number of overweight kindergartners, and I don't mean just a little. Sue – I get up 2 or 3 times each night myself, and I let the dog out then, although he doesn’t ask to. Sad that his bladder is stronger than mine... Sad I was watching Racing Against the Clock last night – a movie about women competing in the Master’s Olympics. Incredibly inspirational to watch women in their 70’s and 80’s competing in these track and field events. They showed a women sprinter, age 56, running in slow motion. Her form was like poetry. 5.05 sluggish-feeling miles for me today in 47 degrees. Like Breger, I had intended a little more, but started out too late.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Marathon Maniac #3309

I think a 6:40 pace would be about right for you Tim, but I can't comment on that long warmup without knowing more about the mileage you are accustomed to doing, but it seems excessive. Three miles pretty close to race time with a few strides in the final mile seems about right. You might think 6:40's is slow, but as this is a first one, you want to have something in the tank at four miles. Remember to let the leaders go. You will finish somewhere between tenth and twentieth place.
          Thanks Ribs....if you have time, here is a link to my log. http://runningahead.com/logs/d9f0a5f17cd148b5a9a48609e140ad55 Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

I did a little research and am doing a little research in the areas that Vista touched on yesterday. I found it interesting that Dwight Gooden threw a no hitter but it was with the Yankees and not with the Mets. Also interesting that Johnny VanderMeer threw no hitters in consecutive starts-wow! I am putting together my research proposal for my Master's thesis. I am going to do a study on how parental role modeling relates to children's BMI and exercise patterns. An nice relaxing 6 miler in 42 degree temps. Nobody passed me and I wasn't on a treadmill- thanks for the laugh Stumpy.
            My dad threw a no-hitter once, I think it was for West Chester high school in PA. He was a good athlete. He also got a hole-in-one at Good Park in Akron Ohio on the day his first grandson was born. He had four daughters, no sons. He tried to teach me to play baseball but gave up, telling me "You throw like a girl". I didn't mind, I still love baseball and remember him taking me to Cleveland Stadium. The first game I saw was the Brewers versus the Indians. I don't remember who won but, I do remember Dad buying me a program and teaching me how to keep score. Oh, but I digress. Hey Craneum! Let me know if you need help with your research, this is a very interesting topic. This would be a topic I'd like to research if I ever got enough gumption to pursue a higher degree... nope, no desire to do that but, would love to help those with more ambition than I. VISTA, Thanks for the info. I went to one Tribe came this year at Plumeri Park. They played well against VCU.
            LaVita
              On the parental activity question, neither of mine exercised regularly as adults. I understand my dad played a lot of baseball as a kid. When he went back to college under the GI bill after WWII, I remember him going out to play some sort of organized intramural baseball. He also became a golf addict after starting in his 50s. As I've reported, both my kids have done some running and I have done races with both of them. Thanks for the kind words in response to my race report. It means a lot to me to share my races with people who understand. CNY, in your monday post you reported an awful fast mile for your son. Congratulations to him. vista, it sounds like you really did the job on your finger. It also sounds like you are taking care of it. If it doesn't continue to heal well, I hope you'll get to a doctor. stumpy, I enjoyed your cartoon. Tall, that's neat about your girls and the kids marathon. Nice long runs for biketm, CNY, Peter, and Twocat (with speedwork). Good job on the speedwork for Holly, Tall, BC. and Enke. This morning, it was in the low 40s with a little wind. I did 6 miles in about 59:30 for a 9:53 pace. Things felt a little better than on Monday. A good day and good runs for all. TomS

I Can Go The Distance

Good Morning Everyone, Trouble sleeping for me the last few nights as well. My diet has not changed at all, so maybe it is the moon. Perfect conditons for running this morning; 62F, sunshine, no wind and low humidity. I did an easy 6 miles in 1:01:13. Legs felt great after speed yesterday. Have a great day All. Bruce

"Don't give up, don't ever give up." Jim Valvano

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Trouble sleeping for me the last few nights
                  Bruce, as a morning skimmer, I didn't follow the link to it but someone in my runningbarefoot listsever posted the following link to an article on the importance of sleep for exercise recovery, and how to go about getting a better night's rest. http://distincthealth.com/2008/05/health/a-great-nights-sleep-optimizing-your-environment/

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Mariposai

Anyway, I did a rare naked run today. That is, no watch, no GPS, no MP3 player. It was pretty weird and unsettling at first, but then when I ran my usual loop over the golf course, I was able to appreciate this chilly spring day all that much more: the brilliant green of the fresh-mowed fairways; the newly-leafed trees lining the way; and above it a stunning blue sky with just enough fluffy white & gray clouds to give it some depth and texture. Talk about IRC!
                    Running naked is my ideal type of running also. It is amazing how dependent we become to the gismos and gadgets and we forget how much freedom there is in putting one foot in front of the other with no pressure of racing against time. This summer I decided to take my garmin out with me only on Tuesdays, which is tempo day and on Saturdays for LR. Holy, that sounds like an interesting movie. Where did you rent it? Cranium, very interesting topic for a theses, I too am very, very concerned about the obesity epidemic in this country. I am the community wellness manager for a hospital; let me know if there is anything I can do to help out. Mary, you must run very early in the morning for you to still need your headlamp until now. Tall, in my last marathon they also had a kids’ marathon, pretty cool to see them finish their race. SR, wanna eat some fejoada for dinner? Last night I went to the track to do some “hurry up”™ running. I ran 2 miles from my house to the track then I ran the following pyramid w/o: 400 in 120 seconds and1 minute rest 800 in 4:00 and 2 minutes rest 1200 in 6:00 and 3 minutest rest 1600 in 8:00 and 4 minutes rest (this hurt) 1200 in 6:00 and 3 minutes rest 800 in 4:00 and 2 minutes rest 400 in 120 seconds Ran 2 miles back home with a total 8 miles for the day.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Teresadfp

One day at a time

As planned, I was able to finish my first 11-mile run this morning. My running partner made her planned 9 miles, too! We ran from my house all the way through the town of Yarmouth, and then back again. A PERFECT day for running - 50 degrees, sunny, and slight breeze. It's getting easier for me, although the last couple of mles were challenging. For me, my Garmin is a lifesaver, because I can see those hundredths of a mile clicking away fairly rapidly. The run took me 2:03:11, for an average 11:12 pace. As usual, I sped up towards the end, which seems so weird! Is it normal to have stomach issues after long runs? After my last two runs, I've needed long trips to the bathroom! Shocked Great running, everyone! Teresa

Marathon Maniac #3309

As planned, I was able to finish my first 11-mile run this morning. My running partner made her planned 9 miles, too! We ran from my house all the way through the town of Yarmouth, and then back again. A PERFECT day for running - 50 degrees, sunny, and slight breeze. It's getting easier for me, although the last couple of mles were challenging. For me, my Garmin is a lifesaver, because I can see those hundredths of a mile clicking away fairly rapidly. The run took me 2:03:11, for an average 11:12 pace. As usual, I sped up towards the end, which seems so weird! Is it normal to have stomach issues after long runs? After my last two runs, I've needed long trips to the bathroom! Shocked Great running, everyone! Teresa
                        Wonderful job Teresa Smile Smile Smile I am soooo proud of you and your progress. My stomach issues are usually on short runs for what ever reason....long runs I'm usually ok Confused But my short runs are after work, and my long runs are on weekend mornings, if that makes a difference.....I think I said "runs" too many times for this subject Big grin Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Marathon Maniac #957

Mariposai – I requested the movie at my library, and they did an inter-library loan from some out-of-district library. (We have such a great library system here.) MCsolar recommended it a while back. Here’s the website. Truly and inspirational movie. http://www.racingagainsttheclock.com/ Teresa – woohoo on your LR! As for the other matter, I usually have to go to the bathroom within the first 5 miles, but not what I would refer to as "stomach issues." Being an early-morning runner, I just figured that was my personal body timing for that...

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Marathon Maniac #3309

5 mile mark for me, like clock work... and it's a real pain in the_ _ _ Roll eyes Sometimes I wonder if it's more of a mental thing, because I will be fine till mile 5....and then the sighting of the porta pot makes me have to go Confused Oh well, Tim

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Is it normal to have stomach issues after long runs? After my last two runs, I've needed long trips to the bathroom! Shocked Teresa
                              Let's just say that I'm glad I didn't go any further than 3 miles this morning . . . not one step . . .and leave it at that. Oy! Congratulations on you long run - you are doing Awesome!!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                              It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

no run or workout for me yet - i'm joining the cast of the bad sleep night - very unusual for me but no wonder with switching back and forth from night nurse to day mother.............i fell asleep around 10:30ish reading an watching the Celtics - then woke up at 1ish and could not get back to sleep - was awake until the boys went off to school then took a nap from 7:30 til 9ish........going to be a long day!!

denise