Masters Running

Thu Apr 24 Runs and Workouts (Read 496 times)

Good morning. I realize that I am cheating by starting the thread without a run or a workout, but a few people asked that I annotate the pictures I took in Boston with people's handles, and I wanted to let everyone know that's been done. I also added a few more pictures to the gallery. http://www.pbase.com/lking/boston2008

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Nice run Lou! Evil grin Lou, Evanflein's DH's nametag ... does that say "Evan's, goes by Pete, please give back!"? Funny! Ten days out before a marathon is always the perfect day for the last Interval workout of a training cycle. Today was it. 10.1 miles total at 8:44 min/mile pace overall, with 4x1 mile repeats with 2 minutes rest in between each. I intended to run the repeats at a moderate pace. Actually got 8:00, 7:47, 7:33, and 7:34 min/mile paces. The 1st two were more like tempo pace, and all-in-all seemed harder/quicker than that, but I'll take what I can get. 68 degrees and 84% humidity at 5:00 AM. Avg. HR 149. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Thanks Lou! Can't wait to look at the pics when I get to work! Smile Nice workout Bill - you are gonna smoke that Marathon route. Out for 5 miles this morning. Brinkley was bound and determined that I NOT leave without him again today. No sightings to report, which is really a good thing. Oh, I did see another runner in the distance. Those that hybernated all winter are starting to pop out here and there - kind of like the daffodils. Happy Thoisday!! ~Mary

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
        It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

dg.

good morning Smile thanks Lou. nice run, Bill. Mary, our (runners) are popping up too. including a guy I've seen for years but has been missing. I was glad to see him, had wondered what had happened. 30 min. of Pilates & 20 min. of yoga earlier this morning. I plan to do a mix of the proprioceptive exercises & the explosive running exercises when I drag myself away from the pc. I'm not sure how much cross training to do during rehab... when nothing is hurting very much I always want to do more, esp. since I never fit everything in. But I want to enhance running, not interfere with it. it's so great to have all these reports & pictures!

Marathon Maniac #3309

Thanks for starting us out Lou....not cheating by not running Smile I absolutely loved the pictures, and putting faces with names. Wow.....bunch of great looking Boomer's and Masters!!! Geez, most could easily pass being much much younger like in their 30"s Big grin And wow, the gals are gorgeous, and good looking men too. Very very nice run there Bill and great paces...I like your structured workouts. Can't wait to hear about your upcoming Marathon. Good luck making it through the taper madness....if you are so inclined. Nice run too Mary....glad Brinkley got his running fix also ( Brinkley is a he right Confused) Yeah, the runners are coming out from hibernation everywhere I noticed too. Well needed rest day for me, as I have had 5 quality workouts in a row, but will probably ride my bike for a couple of hours tonight after work with some roadie buds. Weather is different right now with having the heat on in the morning, and A/C on in the afternoon...but suppose to get chilly again this coming weekend. Have a wonderful day all, Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning! Thanks Lou! Breger – awesome as usual! Mary and DG – I see those cold-weather-wimps popping up in my neighborhood, too. Tim – the pictures really don’t do them justice. Even my DH commented on what a good-looking and fit bunch of people the Boomers we met were. 5.25 recovery-paced miles for me today in a windy 58 degrees. The legs feel pretty good, actually, and I was actually able to, get this, SQUAT to get a yogurt out of the fridge after my run. That’s progress. I lost a toenail Monday, and I think 4 more will be casualties of Boston in the next few weeks. I get blisters, not on the END of my toes, but underneath the cuticles themselves. The middle toes always take the worst beating, and I think Boston’s downhill made it worse. Just in time for sandal season… Big grin

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Thanks for the pics Lou. Bill you are ready for that marathon, great workout. Holly that sounds painful...you are one tough cookie. 1:15 out there this morning, beautiful including 10X quarter mile hill repeats. Still have nasty PF on my right foot, which I am icing and exercising, etc...Just have to keep it in check... For those of you who remember Topdown from Coolrunning he ran 3:13 in Boston which is an 8 minute PR for him...awesome race Have a great day everyone Tall

Recent Best times: None recently

Nice cross-training squat Holly. I knew you had one in you. Wink Holly, if you're getting blisters under your toenails there may not be enough room in the toe area of your shoes from top to bottom. I usually get these kinds of blisters if the toes don't have a little wiggle room up and down. Wow! Congrats to Topdown. What a fabulous race! Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

No run for me - still hacking, coughing and feeling generally poorly. I'm going to take another day off of work to try to get ahead of this thing. Nice intervals, Bill. Sorry about those toenails, Holly. That is one affliction that I manage to avoid most of the time.

aka Mrs. WillRunForBeer, MD, USA

Marathoning, the triumph of desire over reason

Good morning, all! Lou - very nice pictures - I just scanned them in a hurry this morning as I'm late for a meeting, but I'll go through them more slowly when I get a chance. So nice to be able to put handles to faces. Bill - excellent interval session - you are so ready for your marathon! Mary - our local runners are sprouting as well. {{{{{{{{{Holly's toenails}}}}}}}}} Ouch! Tall - try massaging the Achilles tendon of your affected foot on a roller - this should be fairly painful if you are doing it correctly, but it might ease the PF. Works for me anyway. Beautiful warm spring morning here in CT. 58 at 5:00 AM this morning. 7.5 miles at an average 9:19 pace - felt sooo good! Good runs to all!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

PDR! Take care of that respiratory system, be extra careful with this recovery. I'm so proud of you! You ran so smart and so well in Boston despite diminishing health conditions... 0529 54 F 100% humidity 2.5 miles to track 3.0 miles on the track (some Yasso's, some just running around) 2.5 miles from the track mile 1: 10:35 mile 2: 9:51 mile 3: 9:59 mile 4: 9:23 mile 5: 9:11 mile 6: 10:17 mile 7: 10:29 (struggling) mile 8: 9:55 (trying to salvage the run) Reger, nice repeats and happy ten days out! Yep, it's mighty moist out there!
                        LaVita

Hill Runner

Morning all, 8.06 Miles of hills @ 9:00 pace today..gotta run to work!

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
                          Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
                          Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

Morning Boomers. 7.5 miles in 1:05:10 with 5 minutes jumping rope after the run. This Saturday is the longest training run for the half marathon on May 18. We're scheduled to do 12 miles so I'm hoping the weather cooperates. Overcast and windy with rain predicted for the next few days. Great pictures, WRFB. It was nice to put faces with the names we see every day on RA. I agree, some beautiful/handsome people in this group. It's funny how you get a picture in your head of what you think people look like by reading their posts. Nice runs Breger, Mary (with Brinkley) Tall, Sue and Holly. Sorry about the toenails Holly. Looks like you'll have to take some nail polish and "make" some! Tim, enjoy your well earned rest day. PDR - sending healing wishes your way that you feel better soon. Off to school. This sunny warm weather has the kids in the "mischief" mode the last few days pulling fire alarms, setting off stink bombs, etc. One more month! Good Thursday runs, everyone. Jeanne

King of PhotoShop

This is for Vista: Got on the plane yesterday in Detroit on the way to Dallas and headed to my seat, and saw that my seatmate was a basketball Hall of Famer, headed home. This retired player, former Olympian, college and pro coach, ESPN analyst and writer for the NYTimes, USA Today and Dallas Morning News, regaled me with stories about college basketball, pro ball, NASCAR, Muhammed Ali (a good friend). We had a terrific time all the way home and it made the trip seem like no time. Soon as I landed, I called my wife to tell her what gate I was coming into, so she could pick me up. Then I said, "And guess what, I'm sitting next to a celebrity", and told her who it was. My new buddy said, "Give me the phone; I'll talk to her," and the two of them chatted the whole time the plane taxied to the gate. Okay Joey, for $64,000, who did I sit next to? Spareribs

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Great pictures Lou! Nice run Bill Holly.. you ran 5 miles? Hooah! After battling a 24 hr stomach virus and no food, I'm back to normal just 6 lbs lighter than pre-marathon. Two Magical Healing Miles with Tory in like 22 minutes. Much improvement on quad sorenes, almost gone. I bet $64,000 that Ribs has to cough up $64,000 Smile

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova