Masters Running

It is Thursday - 3/13 (Read 36 times)

Dave59

Well, it is 1° outside.  Another "record low for this date".

The big Bay City St, Patrick's Day Race and parade on Sunday is going to be interesting.  There won't be any place for spectators to set up their chairs along the route because the snow piles are in the way.  I have a software install to do on Sunday or I would go just to watch.

I found Henry's post yesterday on running and aging very encouraging.  If you haven't seen it, go check out page 2 on yesterday's daily.

I don't know what I am going to do today on the running/workout front.  My back has been hurting and I may have to stop ignoring it, but I'll have to find a new doctor as mine left the area.  Yesterday it seemed like it hurt worse after I ate.   I am going to pay closer attention to that today and see if it is real or just a coincidence.

Have a greta day.

coastwalker

Mornin' Dave and everyone!

Don't ignore your back, Dave! Do find someone who can give you a good diagnosis and treatment plan. If I didn't do my core work every day, my back would be in sorry shape. So I know how important it is to take good care of your back.

What a whirlwind yesterday's 'daily' was!

Ribs, didn't you say that last year, it took you almost till Boston to recover from your ultra? If I'm remembering that correctly, why should this year be any different, especially with the additional stressors in your life? So my advice (and I have absolutely no qualifications for giving you any advise on this), would be to cut yourself some slack, do what running you can and feel like doing, get through your surgery next month, and then reassess and move forward. I have a feeling that you'll ultimately get back to being your regular self - and then we'll all be in trouble!

TomW, I don't know that I've ever seen anyone ask "Is liver permitted?" At first, I had no idea where you were going with that... Funny story about counting minutes.

Welcome, Jo! Some of us here (well, one of us) walk all the time. Runner, walker, Gallowalker, whatever, welcome! There are some wonderful, athletic, funny, wicked-smart, and caring people here, and I hope you stay and get to know them. I'll bet you'll fit right in. It's been a while since I've been called "young folk," but I'll take it with a smile.

Tammy, I had to help our Conservation Coordinator figure out a math problem yesterday, and I was in over my head. I knew where we wanted to get to, but didn't know how to construct the algebraic formula to get there. Luckily, she's smarter than I am...

Tselbes, yes, we all share that we are getting older. As I remind a good friend who too often complains about his age, we've been getting older since the day we were born, and our bodies have been in a state of continuous flux since that day. We've all adjusted to the changes between then and now, so we just have to keep doing what we've always been doing.

Robin, how great that you got to meet and speak with Lee Ann Yanni. Her experience in the last year sure puts a different spin on things.

The "Henry" story is so...Henry! Some people complain about what is no longer, and others just say that it is what it is and keep charging forward. How could you not like a man who has such a positive outlook; always has a smile and a kind word for everyone; likes his grandkids, martinis and good music; and who has Marj by his side?

Aamos, what an amazing story about your interaction with Craig.. The fact that he knew something was amiss based on hearing the change in the cadence of your running is just incredible.

"I just love today's daily thread." Exactly, CNY.

Scary story about the deep stuff, Steve.

As predicted, it rained all yesterday afternoon, then turned to sleet and then snow, and the snow is still coming down this morning. We've only got about 1-2" on the roads, but there is no way I could have racewalked in that stuff. So it's a day off to rest my muscles that are still achy from Tuesday's workout. With a little luck (and maybe some help from DPW), the roads will be clear enough for me to get out tomorrow.

Have a greta day!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Awww - two posts from two of my favorite people. Good morning Dave, Jay and all to follow. And thanks for another great recap of yesterday's forum. Just a few more words on aging from one of the older women posting here, if anyone cares about old women! I've been running for over 30 years and time has had an effect on lots of things. I've had back surgery, lots of PT sessions for hamstrings, PF and other assorted ailments. I've slowed down a lot, and probably will never run another marathon because my back continues to be an issue. And I've had bad days where I sit on the pitty pot and wish that I could still run like I did in my 30's,  and "stuff" didn't hurt. The aging process is tough. But then I enter local races, and there's a woman who is always there and is still running 8:00+ minute miles at age 76. And I think "I may be old, but I'm not done". The ability to accept the changes that are occurring in an aging body are difficult.  This is an amazing group of people, and you all continue to inspire me to be the best I can be.

Back in a cold spell here. Only 4° at 5:00 AM so I decided to use the morning for some cross training. 5 miles on the elliptical and 30 minutes of free weights and core.

Took the 3 grandboys to Barnes and Noble yesterday. What an experience! No wonder their mother is always tired

Have a great Thursday everyone.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Everyone straight on where we're posting today?  OK, then.

Not that I have a run to talk about, just a little time to kill until staff meeting.

I got confused this morning because I went to a planning board meeting to join in the neighborhood objections to a new, larger gas station and convenience store getting put at the end of our street.  (to join the HoneyDew and muffin shop already there).  by the time I got home, it was too late to open my computer.  So I never reminded myself to my dentist appointment at 7:30 this morning until I sat down at my desk at 8:30 .

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

King of PhotoShop

Thank you Marj, now I remember!  It was cross country skiing!

Spring break for us is college touring.  TCU yesterday, SMU today.

And NO RUNNING for me today!  Thanks all.   Spareribs

...obviously if jay can't spell the name of the day correctly, we post somewhere else........

=========

assembling various canes,crutches, heating pads and tennis balls in socks

for

my trip to Ky for the funeral,

since my CrazyBrother and I will be sharing a KingSize Bed

I plan to sleep

on the floor,

since I flop around for a couple of hours every night trying to get comfortable

he needs his rest, poor dear,,,,,,,

when

we were kids (2 and 5)

he used to wet the plastic covered bed we shared

hopefully he doesn't do that anymore

...................good running guys..............Stay Dry..........

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Good morning everyone,

Drove 600 miles to Columbia, SC yesterday. 6F at my house w/fresh snow, 76F here so that's good!  

Beautiful sunny and brisk 39F 10 miler this morning. Probably the warmest temp I've run in since November.

C-R I'm not coming to Carmel, I decided to do Cook Forest Half much closer to home and  several other club members are going too!

Meeting up with the Harbison State Forest Trail Runners Saturday morning should be very nice! I love running somewhere new!

tw I don't count minutes when running but I do constantly calculate the percentage of my run, i.e. 2 miles is 20% of a 10 miler and so on, it can be a challenge when it's very uneven numbers. 

Enjoy!

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

evanflein

Sarge, I try to always keep track of how many miles are left in a marathon, and when I get to single digits, and what percent I've done, etc. Seems to help the time go by. Definitely gets harder the farther into it you get!

Loved yesterday's thread. You guys are all so awesome in your own ways. You each contribute something that makes this such a great community.

SteveP, that's how almost all our bikepaths look in the winter! Only a few are plowed (seem to be near schools...), and the main road I like to run on is a packed down trail with soft sides. I've found that the part used by the fat tire bikes is actually quite runnable, but when a snowmachine goes by it chews up the top couple of inches and that results in a slog-run!

We could see 40° here according to weatherunderground, although the news this morning said 31° and windy. So far, it's about 31° and windy so maybe the news station had it right? It's still early, so I'm betting warmer. I've been running at the end of the day all week because I just can't seem to get away for a mid-day run. But that's ok, I'm kind of a mess when I get back so nice to not have to do the "back to the desk" repair job.

Marathon Maniac #957

when

we were kids (2 and 5)

he used to wet the plastic covered bed we shared

hopefully he doesn't do that anymore

Great thread yesterday!

{{{Ribs}}}     .....that's not a sympathy hug, I just wanted an excuse to get my {{{}}}s around you....

No run for me today.  Instead I did 30-40 minutes of weights and core and 10-15 minutes on the bike trainer.

Happy Thursday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Been absent (as usual) and trying to catch up.  Did go back and read through yesterday's thread per the advice of Dave and loved it.

I don't have much more to offer, Ribs, but for what it's worth, February 23 was not that long ago in relation to recovering from an utra - especially an ultra pounded out on the pavement.  That, combined with the other stressors in your life and your age , will definitely slow down the recovery.  As others said, just go with the flow.

Not much going on in this part of the West Coast.  Wilson continues to wake me up anywhere between 1:30 and 2:30 (what is his problem??), I continue to be grouchy over it and now, unfortunately, my body seems to be on his time clock so I'm only getting 4-5 hrs of quality sleep at night, and I'm still running.  Not sure if I mentioned it before, but I started a metabolic efficiency training program (diet and running) and so far so good.  I do miss the salty crunchy goodness of toritilla chips and am getting slightly tired of salads already, but all in all, I'm feeling good.  No morning or afternoon highs and lows, and I'm actually down 3 lbs from where I was when I started on March 1.

Today is the first day I have cheated on the nutrition program.  Whenever it's the birthday of someone in the office, that person gets to pick what treat they want for the whole office to enjoy.  There are 3 pies in the kitchen.  Two I don't care about, but the 3rd is a dark chocolate covered peanut butter pie.  I've never had dark chocolate peanut butter pie.  I  made the mistake of taking a small taste of that dark chocolate covered peanut butter pie. . . . . . a very minute amount of that pie is nestled in a bowl along with my apple slices.  I'm hoping that by disguising the pie with apples it will think it's only peanut butter, which I can have, and not what it really is - sugar-ladened (sp?) manna from heaven. Oh my goodness!!

Leslie
                      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

New skirt in town

I had an early morning meeting, so I did a shorter, faster run than the training program had called for: 5 miles, with 3 of them at tempo pace.  Then I headed off to my meeting and hoovered up a big cranberry muffin.  I've been pretty good about adhering to a careful nutrition plan, but that muffin just called to me. And now I have an evening meeting over dinner, and I'm afraid I'm going to repeat the same mindless overeating process.  I may have to just chalk today up to a cheat day and not feel any guilts about it!

--RT

NO  MO MELANOMA! Help me run 26.2 miles and raise $5000 for the Melanoma Foundation of NE.  Visit this page to learn more:  http://tinyurl.com/NO-MO-MELANOMA

Well, I'm reaping the repercussions of my cheating.  Haven't consumed basically any processed sugar in almost two weeks, even the small amount I had - Egads!!  Makes one want to balance things out with a cup of caffeine.

Leslie
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

...............  Makes one want to balance things out with a cup of caffeine.

...keep her occupied, I'll call the InterventionHotLine...........

Be Brave fattozig,

Help is On the Way////////

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

NHLA

5 miles 41 min.  Wicked wind.  The clouds are moving as fast as cars. Wind blew Sandy sideways. Not fun.

Leslie
                                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance